Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Toddlers: Do you max all their skills??

2...Next

Comments

• Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    This has been mentioned a few times. Yes, the highchair is a hindrance, not a help. I've stopped using them.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    I never did. I play on rotation so there is only time for about 1 simday per house per sim year. I age toddlers up aged 5.

I see some build skills faster than others though, and I guess it would be on time I check what benefits those extra toddler traits might be. I know nothing about them, assuming they will help with better skills in childhood, but not make much difference as an adult?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member
    I try to but I don’t worry if I don’t.
  • GenerationSimmerGenerationSimmer Posts: 210 Member
    I am playing legacy for the first time now and I don't control my toddler.
    I only control the parents and I watch what the toddler is doing.
    When the parents have time I would let them sit with the toddler and learn her things.
    At the other times she's developing them herself by playing etc.

I have 56 days for a toddler so I am assuming the skills will get maxed by itself without my control.
    But for the realism, I don't want to 100% control it :smile:
    👋🏻 Hi, my name is Domi / 📍 Brindleton Bay 💛Legacy Player 🔔FOLLOW ON: TWITTER / TUMBLR
  • heartlacingheartlacing Posts: 24 Member
    Every time, unless it's not a household I intend to play.

It just makes skill grinding later on so much easier tbh and that's the only reason why I bother. The necessity of the high chair and how broken the AI is around high chairs is literally the #1 thing I absolutely hate about TS4.
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,965 Member
    I certainly prefer to!
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    edited March 2020
    I'm practically on 'default' now for neverweary and hardlyhungry on my main sims. Two grind things I do not like in the game.
    That being said, I do enjoy toddlers if it's a household I want to play.

Yeebszahfribby!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8TJEKQmhzM
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    I usually do try to max out their skills before I age them up because it gives them faster when learning new skills.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• MarmaladeJadeMarmaladeJade Posts: 108 Member
    > @heartlacing said:
    > Every time, unless it's not a household I intend to play.
    >
    > It just makes skill grinding later on so much easier tbh and that's the only reason why I bother. The necessity of the high chair and how broken the AI is around high chairs is literally the #1 thing I absolutely hate about TS4.

I never buy a highchair. I just serve food leave it on the counter and let the toddler grab a plate.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited March 2020
    Not always, but quite often I do. It's not difficult, so sometimes the toddlers max out the other skills on their own except thinking skill (on long life span they do max thinking too). I often only help them to max the thinking skill at first and let them do the rest of the skills by themselves.
    It also depends on the toddlers, if I don't have any specific plans for them I just let them do whatever they want.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    Does toddlers' skills affect the additional trait system for kids/teens in any way? Responsibility, manners etc? Or is it limited to normal skills?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    Very rarely. I play on Normal lifespan so there isn't usually time.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    If Skill Day is coming up or if the parent completed the Big Happy Family aspiration, then I definitely do it. No reason not to. Otherwise if I'm anxious to move the story along, I'll get all their skills to 3 instead.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Sometimes, but I don't push it. Not everyone needs to be a top-notch toddler. I play on a long lifespan, so at times I age up the toddlers a bit earlier. If they haven't maxed their skills yet when I want to age them up, then they just haven't.
  • MayaioYTMayaioYT Posts: 38 Member
    @Admiral8Q High chairs are such a was off time, i just put the food on the floor. :s
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    @Simmerville Parents can use the "teach to say sorry/please and thank you" interactions with toddlers, and I believe it will influence both the communication skill and the related character value. They also get the same hit to responsibility that children do when making messes, and I think a few other interactions can have some effect on character values, but it generally moves the values by a smaller amount than during the child stage. I've never seen a lot of benefit of trying to work character values with toddlers because the gains are so small and their regular skills take up enough time if you play on normal.
    There is a permanent trait that they get if all their toddler skills are at 3 and then a different one if they're all at 5 (except potty which maxes at 3). They both give permanent boosts to the speed of skill gain for all future life stages, in addition to starting their childhood with a skill boost. There is also a random happy moodlet sims can get if they have those traits because they remember a happy childhood or something like that, but I can't say whether that continues into adulthood offhand. I know my kids and teens get it.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    If it happens they max one or two skills. But i don't try to do it.
  • BrainBlastedBrainBlasted Posts: 42 Member
    Every time. It's super helpful for building skills later, and I've got a routine down for it that allows you to knock them out with a few days to spare.

Step 1: Talk to the teddy bear while Happy. This will max communication in a few sim hours.

Step 2: Use the slide from Toddler Stuff while Energized. This maxes movement in the next few sim hours after step 1. If you don't have the slide, have an adult Play with the toddler a few times, though this will take longer.

Step 3: Play with a toy while Playful. If the toddler has low energy, have an adult read them to sleep. This takes a few iterations, so be patient.

Step 4: Watch adults while Happy. This is the best way to take care of Thinking.

Step 5: Have the toddler go potty whenever their bladder is halfway down. Use potty training at every opportunity unless the toddler is independent.

This method gets toddler skills maxed with a few days to spare for fun.
    I fix bugs in TS4. Find my fixes here.
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited March 2020
    Sharonia wrote: »
    My toddlers max their skills by themselves. It's not even hard on the longest life setting.

This is basically my experience and I usually use a normal life span. (minus the potty)As long as they have toys, a tablet, maybe another sibling/stuffed doll etc. I don't really have to push them. Ages ago,I'd race to get them all maxed through the parent sim(s) (super parent, what are ya gonna do? :p ). But after a while, I noticed that by just letting them learn on their own, they get a lot more done (and it wasn't just trait-based either to my surprise).

Now that's just without mods. Recently I added the "Better Education mod" (in general it makes school soo much better!!) that gives an optional preschool rabbithole for toddlers. It's a really cute idea for working families who just aren't fans of the nanny and they can also gain skills there too and meet other toddlers too (perfect "BFF since preschool" scenario :lol: ).
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • FengaxFengax Posts: 9 New Member
    Maybe its just me, but I normally speed through the toddler phase just because they can't really do anything