Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why does everybody hate the idea of multiplayer in TS5?

I'm confused.. everybody seems to be turned off by the potential of TS5 being multiplayer, and I'm not really sure why. Think of how fun it would be to visit your friends towns/worlds, interact with their sims, and go on dates/adventures/etc.

For those that only play singleplayer, then EA should introduce the multiplayer style in a way that won't impact the individuals who prefer to play on their own. EA should look at games like Minecraft, Animal Crossing, and Stardew Valley. All of these games allow you to get the full experience in singleplayer, but also allow for multiplayer experiences as well. How awesome would it be if TS5 was like this?

Comments

• Options
    aiexaiex Posts: 103 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    aiex wrote: »
    I'm confused.. everybody seems to be turned off by the potential of TS5 being multiplayer, and I'm not really sure why. Think of how fun it would be to visit your friends towns/worlds, interact with their sims, and go on dates/adventures/etc.

For those that only play singleplayer, then EA should introduce the multiplayer style in a way that won't impact the individuals who prefer to play on their own. EA should look at games like Minecraft, Animal Crossing, and Stardew Valley. All of these games allow you to get the full experience in singleplayer, but also allow for multiplayer experiences as well. How awesome would it be if TS5 was like this?

My thoughts on why I hate it

Ewww dates with other simmers that could be children....umm NO!! If they put it online I pray they will remove all romance from the game.

Let’s kill the modding community because mods will probably be non existent with every thing online. Sims without mods is like peanut butter without jelly.

I don’t want other simmers messing around with my storyline I created for my sims.

There are enough social platforms for people to talk on we don’t need the sims added to it.

In games like Animal Crossing & Stardew Valley, you choose the specific people who are able to visit your towns / world. I think if TS5 was multiplayer, this would have to be the case as well.
  • Options
    mimilu04mimilu04 Posts: 83 Member
    The biggest mistake they made with SimCity is that it was 100% online, and their servers couldn't even handle it. It took them a year to reluctantly allow offline access after complaining it was too difficult to do, but it was too late, fans had turned their backs to them.

I think Minecraft is a good example of how a game handles both modes, it can be an exclusively offline experience but you can create a private server to play with your friends.

I personnaly have no interest in multiplayer gameplay, so my worries would be:
    - if there is an online component, that its development does not mean half-done single-player mode.
    - if the two modes exist, that they will be completely independant
  • Options
    mimilu04mimilu04 Posts: 83 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    For me it's a lot of reasons.

Private servers or games then? Yeah... That MIGHT work, but if you follow EA Help on twitter and see that most games their servers are down and broken dang near every weekend, I have zero trust that they could get it to work for the sims. I have no desire to be like the Fifa and Battlefield fans who can't play their games during peak times, when people have time off to actually want to play their game that they've paid for.

Maybe when people mention private servers they mean LAN (local area server), which is located on one of the players computer who then invites his friends to join. Main advantages: you do not rely on the company's servers and you have total control on who has access your server. Main issues: it requires a very good internet connection and to be a little tech savvy, as you have to deactivate your firewall.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited March 2020
    I don't hate Multiplayer, just I hate the players :p !
    A God Mode means Total control, Multiplayer Mode means Out-of-control, it's Second Life, a big mess.

TS3 Exchange was a nightmare with the tons of ugly CC included in the Sims3Pack.
    The people are irresponsible and disrespectful, they can destroy your game.

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited March 2020
    mimilu04 wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    For me it's a lot of reasons.

Private servers or games then? Yeah... That MIGHT work, but if you follow EA Help on twitter and see that most games their servers are down and broken dang near every weekend, I have zero trust that they could get it to work for the sims. I have no desire to be like the Fifa and Battlefield fans who can't play their games during peak times, when people have time off to actually want to play their game that they've paid for.

Maybe when people mention private servers they mean LAN (local area server), which is located on one of the players computer who then invites his friends to join. Main advantages: you do not rely on the company's servers and you have total control on who has access your server. Main issues: it requires a very good internet connection and to be a little tech savvy, as you have to deactivate your firewall.

Generally when people talk about private, or dedicated servers it means that the game is hosted on a server that people connect to. The other way you can do it is that the player hosts the game on their own computer, which is common in some FPS games.

I don't think a sims game would be possible for a player to host, because that basically means that the world disappears when the last player is closing the game.

A dedicated server could work, it could be an open environment where players could interact with each other, or it could be a hosted world where players could invite each other.

I think a hosted world sounds like the most reasonable solution, relationships and time would be controlled by the host. Maybe other players could only interact with sims that you do not have as favorites. An open environment would just be restricted or really weird where people would meet with their sims and have relationships with each other.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited March 2020

For those that only play singleplayer, then EA should introduce the multiplayer style in a way that won't impact the individuals who prefer to play on their own.
    EA should look at games like Minecraft, Animal Crossing, and Stardew Valley. All of these games allow you to get the full experience in singleplayer, but also allow for multiplayer experiences as well. How awesome would it be if TS5 was like this?

I also forgot that I also wanted to respond to this in particular in bold. Just because EA should doesn't mean they will. Especially considering across everything done/made by EA, they "should" a lot of things and almost never do.

Someone else said something about EA doing what they will do, whatever we think about it and I've got to agree with that. I don't think multiplayer is a good idea for this game, but I bet it does happen anyways.

Also, on a reverse note, why should it be multi player? What exactly is it that would be "so cool" about it. I've seen a few people say they would think it was cool but zero reasons why it would be cool. To show off your house? You can already do that with screen shots and the gallery. The sims? Same thing. To sit there together and watch tv in the game or dance? *hmmm* well that's real life... go be in real life?
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I have no interest. I don't want to go into anyone else's game or have them come into mine. I don't want to go on dates with friends or random strangers in the game or deal with other players who play completely differently.

If the focus shifts to a multiplayer game, I'll stay where I am and ultimately quit. I think it's inevitable that they'll add some version of multiplayer but since I'm not interested, that won't benefit me at all.

I'm ok with the gallery and with ignoring the gallery when I want but, nope, I'm don't want to play a multiplayer game. Those features won't be selling points for me.

That's just a totally different playstyle that doesn't appeal to me.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited March 2020
    Because of The Sims 4, and how that turned out.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    In addition to what others said, resources are another issue. Time, effort and money are limited, and any spent on multiplayer will almost certainly take away from singleplayer. And if they use a server and decide to shut them down one day, we could potentially lose everything put into multiplayer.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    There is no way to do both single and multi in Sims without sacrificing more of what we've already lost since Sims 2.
    All you really need to do is look at how multiplayer games are played, what's in them, how they are hosted, and compare all that to Sims. Look at the other Sims games, then look at Sims 4 (which others have already pointed out was supposed to be an online game). Look at SimCity.

Multiplayer is fine for people who want it, and if they go that way there will be happy players and new players out there to embrace it. But the core Sim players will jump ship because it won't be the same.

In the grand scheme of things, does that matter? It depends on the size of the fanbase that wants multiplayer. If it's big enough, they'll move on and be fine. If it's not, Sims will die. Since I don't want Sims to die, I'd rather they not chance it and go back to their roots.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

Ewww dates with other simmers that could be children....umm NO!! If they put it online I pray they will remove all romance from the game.

Let’s kill the modding community because mods will probably be non existent with every thing online. Sims without mods is like peanut butter without jelly.

I don’t want other simmers messing around with my storyline I created for my sims.

There are enough social platforms for people to talk on we don’t need the sims added to it.

In games like Animal Crossing & Stardew Valley, you choose the specific people who are able to visit your towns / world. I think if TS5 was multiplayer, this would have to be the case as well.

After the game changer predator situation, I don’t think EA is equipped to handle Sims online with the way it is now. Choosing Simmers to join still doesn’t make it safe because people lie online all the time. I am very skeptical and concerned because they swept the predator situation under the rug in my opinion. I never played Stardew or Animal crossing but they don’t sound like games that have woohoo. Anyway I will have no part in the game if it goes online. Good luck
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member

After the game changer predator situation, I don’t think EA is equipped to handle Sims online with the way it is now. Choosing Simmers to join still doesn’t make it safe because people lie online all the time. I am very skeptical and concerned because they swept the predator situation under the rug in my opinion. I never played Stardew or Animal crossing but they don’t sound like games that have woohoo. Anyway I will have no part in the game if it goes online. Good luck

thats my concern. we lost a very beloved (before the controversy happened) sim guru because of that and how it was handled and i dont think we need more of that integrated in the game itself. the cost to hire moderators and deal with that would be a cost i wouldn't want if it replaced content
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I don’t think Sims is the type of game that really works as a multiplayer game. Someone who just wants the traditional Sims experience loses more than they stand to gain from a multiplayer mode. Sims 4 doesn’t support a lot of features, and at launch supported even less than it does now.. all to accommodate multiplayer. Having a single player mode doesn’t make the game like an offline game, just blocks other players from joining. Look at SimCity if you want to see how EA handles online multiplayer simulation games.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited March 2020
    The Sims started as offline single player game
    that you could play alone, without internet, at 3am, in your room,
    making messed up storylines of sims killing their 10 spouses for fun,
    ain't nobody telling you what to do with your sims.

naturally the fans of original series do not respond well to the idea of introducing real humans to their game
    they are scared of other people messing up their games or love messing up games (like me)
    and don't want to make real life awkward because of it or hurt other (real) people.

I just don't like it just like I don't like other multiplayer games
    and sims as big part creative game (building, making sims, making storylines)
    don't really work as multiplayer in my opinion

(+ I also feel like its big waste or resources they should just put into the gameplay instead
    since I am very unlikely to ever play sims as multiplayer even if it was option)
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited March 2020
    In my opinion, if they want multiplayer and microtransactions, that's what FreePlay is for. And those two things were why I abandoned it as soon as I could afford TS3 2-3 years ago (this was before TS4 was getting heavy discounts almost monthly).

One, to work properly, the engine would have to be stripped down. That's the main problem with TS4 as it sits. They thought it was a good idea with Sim City (5), and tried to make TS4 the same way. SC5 failed miserably, with lots of negative reception from multiple outlets, and last-minute, the online features were quickly abandoned.

And, uh, secondly, why mix real life and a simulation of life? Just seems weird to me. If you want that, there's Second Life.
  • Options
    Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    edited March 2020
    Because I don't want people coming in and ruining my world, killing my sims and putting down lots shaped like [CENSORED].
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2020

Choosing who and when someone can enter your 'worlds' is not multiplayer. That is more like co-op. I think some (not you) don't understand the differences. I see here often some say but it would be fun to play with friends. Maybe for them but that would be a co-op setup and not an actual multiplayer game like WOW. A setup like co-op already exists in console versions of 2 and 3. How many are loving those still yet? Not many.

Distinction between co-op and multiplayer:

Quote:It is important to distinguish a cooperative or co-op game from a PvP(player vs. player or player vs. player). Both are multiplayer modes, but while in a PvP you compete against the other human players of the game, in a Co-Op you are collaborating with them, either to solve puzzles or problems or to end a common enemy controlled by the game itself .
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.