Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Knitting Gameplay Questions for the Community!

Comments

• JanaBrodkinJanaBrodkin Posts: 4 New Member
    I am not a knitter, but my sister knits and so does my grandma. I would like to include like a baby shower and have knitables gifts be given at the baby shower. I also got knitted sweaters from my grandma which could be sent in the winter if you have seasons. These gifts could also be found in the mailbox too
  • SunnyMonsterSunnyMonster Posts: 16 Member
    Q1: Some knitting designers do become "famous", but only in the knitting world. If the fame gain was very small, so that it would be unlikely for a Sim to get past 1 or 2 stars only by knitting, that would be ok. They should definitely be able to post pictures of their knitted items on Simstagram. For other crossovers, knitting for pets is very popular in reality, and it might be nice to get some kind of "warm and cozy" moodlet if wearing something hand-knitted in cold weather.

Q2: I would definitely notice, and it would probably make me develop a slight eye twitch, but I'd live.

Q3: Eh, the only time I knit at a desk is if I'm on a video call. I know a bunch of knitters, and none of us knit at desks (or in rocking chairs, ahem). It would be weird. If I'm knitting at a table in, say, a coffee shop, though, you can bet I'm going to have a lot of accessories laid out in front of me—multiple skeins of yarn, scissors, a project bag, tapestry needles, pattern, etc. If a sim was going to knit at that desk, really taking up that space would liven it up. That kind of desk seems more appropriate for sewing or paper crafting, though.

Q4: Hats are done within a week (depending on the hat, could be a weekend). Small toys in a day or two, large ones obviously longer. Blankets and sweaters range; a month would probably be a good average.

Q5: It would be ok if they were shown with a bag like this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/730665087/knitting-project-bag-arm-wrist-bag. Otherwise it would be highly unrealistic.

Q6: It's slow and ongoing, and it's not always grannies! I've taught a few people at this point, and there's a lot of handing the project back and forth, doing some prep for the student, showing them slowly, then letting them try.

Q7: From the non-seller side, I hope there's a way to browse patterns for inspiration, because I think I spend more time doing that than actually knitting! The online knitting community is a really important part of the experience.

Q8: Itchy or embarrassed moodlet

Q9: Yarning for Ewe

Q10: By far the biggest pain point I have with the game is how little happens without player direction. I would love to see more meaningful autonomous behavior. I'd almost prefer to see this in reverse, though, like "Ask to teach to knit." Either way, I'd want the acceptance of the interaction to depend on traits, relationship, and mood, so that the whole town wouldn't be knitting in a few days (although they'd probably be happier if they were). Sims can develop other skills on their own, so I don't see why knitting should be excluded if it makes sense for that sim.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    1. Apart from those mentioned, I can't really think of any other crosspack interactions. For me personally, I rarely have famous sims so I don't really have an opinion on that.
    2. It would depend on the type of objects. I would still like all knittable items available in at least the debug menu for easy access.
    3. It would be a nice option so there is at least some functionality to the tables. They're really nice and I'd be more likely to use them if there was some interaction available (laptop use or knitting). Otherwise, they'd just take up space that I would need for something else, and they're too pretty for that.
    4. I have no personal experience with knitting so I'll just let others answer that one.
    5. Standing while knitting would be fine with me, but again, no real experience.
    6. I would love that detail. I'm a family player so any skills the older generation can pass on are a plus for me.
    7. An online business would be great. It could maybe open the door for future packs if it's already built into the game, right?
    8. If a Sim is wearing an itchy sweater, they could tug at the collar and scratch their neck and wrists. An uncomfortable moodlet would also be a nice detail. This could be for lower quality, lower skilled items. As I've said, I have no personal experience but I would imagine higher skilled knitters would use higher quality materials, and produce higher quality items.
    9. Knit happens. That's the first one that comes to mind.
    10. "Teach to knit" should be player directed. Realistically, not every household member would want to learn to knit. In addition to "Teach to knit" maybe we could have an "Ask for knitting lessons" interaction as well, even if it's just on sims with the creative trait or a creative aspiration. The first thought that comes to mind is a child sim with the creative aspiration asking grandma/grandpa to teach them.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • MinraedMinraed Posts: 1,159 Member
    edited March 2020
    OMG there are a zillion answers here already, and too much to read, but as I skimmed through much of what I would have said is there already. Hmmm..

Yes, my grandmother taught me to knit and crochet (and sew) so that to me is a wonderful thing.

I am primarily a crochet-er, so pun wise "happy 🐸🐸🐸🐸" (crochet hooks, for those who don't know) lol it won't let me use the bad word.. Hook ... ers

Being able to mail off to a purchaser through Etsy-like interactions.

I could never imagine standing while knitting, or at a desk, though I have at a desk only because the desk was in front of a comfortable chair that I happened to be sitting in?

Definitely I would say knitting would take longer than painting in the game, but maybe not quite as long as writing a book. Definitely something to come back to. Saying that, it would be nice for the half finished project to be in one of those neat yarn bags shown in the concept art maybe?

Crochet projects! Similar to knitting really. I mean the same things can be made, just with different types of stitches, but crochet makes me think Amigurumi!

oh The donation idea: I imagine it was already said - premmies (teeny tiny hats and sleepers etc.) and homeless (hat/scarf/blanket).

oh and knitting clubs? (or Happy 🐸🐸🐸🐸 for a crochet club - cliche, but fun)

Sorry. I came back to edit. The gifting idea. Ya, badly made or embarassing gifts as sometimes is the case. not just sweaters. But the embarassed moodlet, or awkward when you get a gift that you really don't like and don't want to hurt the person's feelings.
    [img][/img] Visit Simaginarium
  • Cyberqueen13Cyberqueen13 Posts: 2,835 Member
    Q1: Crosspack is a must! I would like to see more TRADITIONS added so we get more use out of the Holiday Calendar system. Every pack comes with a new action, therefore a new tradition. Also, maybe knitting can calm a sim down when they are mad or stressed. Also, sims who have the creative trait may do knitting to combat boredom. We should be able to give the items as gifts and see the sim have a mood about the item received based on the relationship they have with the sim giving the gift as well as with the quality of the gift. With every positive in the game there should be a negative, therefore if a sim has the snob trait and receives this type of gift they will have a negative reaction versus a family oriented sim would have a positive reaction. (Yes please add the animations so we see the reactions not just a moodlet please.) Edit: Could you also add Knitting to the Trending list for the vlogs sims make using the Drone and The More Views Video Station using the.

Q2: Sorry, I'm distracted by the comment "We can't guarantee unique animations for crocheting." **insert side eye expression** More is always better, I suppose is my response.

Q3: This one was hard to answer because I don't want to limit the game (it's so limited already compared to its predecessor). I feel more animations are needed to make this game more immersive. That being said, I think it would be nice to be able to craft many different things in many different ways. Like, I don't think a sim should have to have a rocking chair to craft a scarf. They should be able to sit in any chair and craft a scarf, maybe even be able to craft while sitting on the couch while watching tv. We lack in animations and adding that capability to the bed would be nice too. Would love an animation like you show in your post's gif, where a sim could sit in bed and knit while watching tv. Relaxation increases, knitting skill increases, and whatever the sim is watching on tv might be causing an increase like cooking channel does. I also wanna mention that the sims can multitask in TS4. It's what the game promised so it would be nice if a sim can chat while knitting. Maybe even add this to the lounge chair so a sim can lounge, knit and chat at the same time out by the pool on the weekend. OMG this makes me think that adding a new tea set or tea animation would be great for this pack too! Sitting around gossiping and sipping tea while knitting! A girl can dream ;)

Q4: I totally agree with this. Maybe also this brings up skill level. Some items should be too difficult for a beginner to do. Therefore some items will be unlocked as you skill up. I think the trait system being updated at this time would be great. Based on a sims traits might give a boost or make it harder for a sim to excel at this skill. Maybe a new trait like patient and impatient would be nice to add to the game. If you are patient you skill up faster allowing you to unlock harder projects and make better quality items that others appreciate more, while an impatient sim will grow bored and or angry the longer they are working on a project and would need to take many breaks causing them to take longer to excel at the skill and also craft at a lesser quality because they rushed it. LOL

Q5: I'm looking at you funny for a reason. LOL I don't knit, but it's my understanding that it's a way to relax...I think you should pull up a seat son.

Q6: OMG This one gets me excited! So much potential here for some great and some funny animations. I would refer you back to my Q4 response regarding adding a patient trait. I would love to see a sim throw the half knit scarf on the floor because they got so frustrated from messing up. ROFLOL This is a real life response for some. But it would be great to see some major relationship gain going on here for the grandparent who's mentoring their family member. So cute to become best friends due to this common hobby/interest. **cough TS2 cough** (Please dear lord go and play that game and incorporate more into TS4 ie: Hobby/Interest system).

Q7:

Q8: Lots of humor opportunity here! I would love animations added with the sim reaching over his shoulder trying to scratch his back. Maybe breaking out in a rash from wearing it. A rash the game actually shows on the face and neck not just a moodlet. I think it was a scene in the show "The Big Bang Theory," where Leonard breaks out after wearing an itchy sweater that Sheldon forces him to wear to prove a point. It was hilarious! More ideas: I would laugh if a sim gave you the "Talk to the hand" if you didn't like their gift. ROFLOL. But if a sim is sensitive it would be cool if they cried because you didn't like it. I think when you give a gift of a cas item the sim should auto wear the item when they receive the gift box, like they auto put on a shirt when they purchase swag at the festivals. After putting the item on they show their reaction to it. They can walk around for an hour like the teens when they are having a mood, head thrown back sulking. LOL And they can strike a pose modelling it if they actually like the item. These responses would effect the sims relationships too. If they like the gift the relationship goes up, if they don't like it the relationship goes down. A different animation for the reactions based on a sims traits. If you are a mean sim, you might fight the sim for responding negatively to the gift. ROFLOL Autonomously of course. HILARIOUS. Maybe they even get wishes to be mean because the gift was not appreciated. HAhahaha I can't stop laughing.

Q9:

Q10: OMG I'm so happy you asked this! And can you please remove the autonomy of the fishing skill please, I'm begging. Okay. Trying to pick my words so that you truly understand what I'm gonna say...PLEASE GO PLAY TS2. LOL TS2 handled autonomy so well, but I think it was because the game was just built deeper than TS4. You see, TS2 uses a "INTEREST" system. If this was incorporated into the TS4 then sims with similar interest would trigger certain autonomous things to occur. This is why the game needs to have systems working underneath it's pretty exterior for it to feel more immersive. The short answer is NOT EVERY SIM IS INTERESTED IN FISHING and therefore should not suddenly learn the skill from a sim who is. The same goes for the knitting skill. This is why the interest system is so needed and also why more traits are needed for the game. It would be sensible for a sim who "Loves the outdoors" to be interested in fishing and therefore pick up a skill point when discussing the topic with a like-minded sim. What I'm saying is, if a sim shares an interest it is more likely that they would share tips on the topic of interest and therefore increase the skill a little bit from conversing about it. It is not sensible that a sim who has no interest in the topic, or who has traits that would counter doing said action, this sim would not autonomously discuss the topic with another sim. Example: My sim has the squeamish trait and therefore it's hard to understand why the game keeps autonomously adding information about fishing to this sims notebook. She can't even fish without getting upset and quitting even when I try to force her to do the action! So the idea that this sim would retain any information about fishing is questionable. AGAIN I beg you EA please stop this. And it's funny that that's the only skill my sims have thrust onto them. I LOVE AUTONOMY. I think it makes the sims feel more ALIVE. But the game needs to be updated so that it's not only going to happen but that it's logical where it does. I think that a grandparent autonomously offering to teach a family member is great and should be added to the game, BUT how the sim reacts and if they retain the skill should be based on the sims traits/interest. One grandchild may love the interaction and gain the skill, while another grandchild may be turned off by it and reject the bonding experience, this causing the child with like interest to interact with the grandparent more, increasing their relationship and their skill. Don't forget to add that animation of boredom or frustration from one (child/teen/adult) and the opposite animation from a sim who shares the interest and would appreciate the interaction!

I hope I helped. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share my ideas I've wanted implemented into the game for so long. Good luck and thank you.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Q1: Along with the ideas that were mentioned in the original post, it would also be nice if Sims could knit while reclining in a lounge chair. It would give the lounge chair purpose and make the Sims seem more at ease and natural while reclining on it. An Ugly Sweater party event would also be great. It would be nice if Sims could knit while having a conversation, watching television, or listening to music (radio or earbuds).

Q2: It would be disappointing to see a Sim 'crocheting' with knitting needles. The two skills are very different in technique and end results.

Q3: Knitting at a desk would seem out of place. Perhaps Sims could mull over and choose their preferred yarn and needles at the desk? After all, according to the renders, the desks seem to serve as storage for those things.

Q4: It would be nice if knitting took longer than painting. It would be even nicer if each type of project took a varied amount of time. For example, a rug should take several sessions.

Q5: Knitting while standing would be cool. Hopefully, there would be a shoulder bag to hold the yarn. Again, it would make sense for Sims to be able to speak or listen to music at the same time.

Q6: A 'teach to knit' interaction would be adorable. I imagine two Sims sitting close together while the tutor demonstrates and the other Sim observes then gives a return demonstration. Or, perhaps the student could sit in a chair while the tutor stands over them (at a close distance) to watch their progress and to make corrections as they go.

Q7: An Etsy-type function would be great. It would be nice to see the Sim go online to check to see if their crafts are selling well. Reactions could range from excited, to disappointed, to even angry -- depending on the Sim's traits.

Q8: Oh, the ugly sweater. :) Some child, teen, and adult Sims should act embarrassed, scratch occasionally, tug at the neck, and offer unsolicited explanations: "My Nana made it for me!" Family Sims should wear the sweater with pride, no matter how ugly it is! "My kid made this, can you believe it?!" There should be some good-natured ribbing from some of the Sims who observe the sweater. Good Sims should find something kind to say no matter how unattractive the sweater is. Evil and mean Sims should tease the wearer mercilessly or find a loose strand and PULL!

Q9: Meh, I've got nothing. :/

Q10: I wouldn't want 'teach to knit' to be an autonomous interaction. Eventually, every Sim in the game would be whipping out yarn and needles at the first opportunity. No offense, but that would immediately send me searching for a mod that could kill it. Preferably with fire.

One request: Please, don't make the knitting needles over-sized and unwieldy. Please? Fat needles are only used in very specific cases.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • simtasticadventuressimtasticadventures Posts: 2 New Member
    Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City LIving’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality? For example, should knitting provide Fame in some way?

In Dogs and Cats having cats bat around a ball of yarn would be cute. Also in City Living the flea market would be good to sell items made that are knitted or woodcrafted.

Q3: There’s a cool crafty desk floating around in concept art that you guys may have seen (49 - 52 in the object vote). What would knitting at one of these desks mean to you, if anything? Asking around the office, nobody knits at a desk, but I’m curious if anyone would find value if the new crafting desk tied in with knitting somehow.

Please let them craft birdhouses either as a craft or as wood project and let the birdhouse be able to be put outside and birds use it

Q4: I’d like Knitting to actually take some time to craft, something Sims can save for later and come back to. In your experience, how long have some of your knitting projects taken? I’ll try not to make it feel too grindy, but definitely longer than it takes to paint in our game.

Knitting an afghan can take 2-6 weeks, faster depending how good you are

Q5: If your Sim wanted to knit something, but they couldn't find a place to sit, would you be okay with them standing up and knitting? Asking for a friend...

No. No one stands up and knits. You sit on a chair, sofa, or bed

Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction. I’d love to have that moment where the Knitting Master granny teaches their grandchild how to knit. For those of you who experienced similar things, what was that experience like for you? I’m curious what people think this should look like - both animation and story wise.

Sitting on the couch together and grandma showing how to do a stitch, then you do it and both grandma and you are happy

Q8: Lets say a Sim is wearing an awful, itchy sweater that they’re wearing only because somebody gifted it for them. What kind of things would you like to see happen to them?

Squirmy like an itch you can't reach, use a back scratcher to itch

Q9: I need your best Knitting puns. Feed them to me.

WOOL you just let me knit in peace??

KNIT HAPPENS

TIME TO UNWIND

KEEP CALM AND CARRY YARN

Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? While this might sound trivial, I feel this is very important for gameplay. I’m interested how people would feel about their level 10 knitter trying to spread their knitting knowledge on others. Let's say you have someone in your family who is a level 10 knitter, if this interaction is autonomous the entire house is going to get a real deep dive into knitting, perhaps constantly.

No autonomy. I don't want sims to have anything automatically. If i want them to have a knit skill then i will choose for them to have it

What are your thoughts on potentially “story intrusive” interactions like this, would you be okay to find your family one day all high-level knitters through natural autonomy? Or should this only be user-directed, meaning on you have the ability to choose who gets schooled on knitting. I’d love to hear your thoughts about these sorts of things.

NO
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    @SimGuruConor , great questions.

1) Love the Crosspack! Can't think of anything other than what you have mentioned. Sounds great, gives the stuff pack more meaning.

2) I am not too fussed about crochet items being made with a knitting animation. I can't crochet, so who am I to judge how they do it. :smiley:

3) Knitting at a desk does seem a bit strange, although it would be nice to be able to, for instance, knit at the dining table sometimes while talking with family etc.

4) Yes, knitting should take some time to complete depending on what it is.

5) No, I would like them to sit to knit.

6) Yes, I would like this. It would be great if the teaching sim could sit next to or near the learning sim. I wouldn't want the animation to be like the "help with homework" one.

7) I'm not too sure what this is.

8) Maybe the sim could get a temporary itch or rash. I would not want it to become too annoying to the point that your sim would have to stop wearing the clothing forever.

9) If you needle me enough, I could possibly find something to yarn about.

10) Not autonomous please, I don't want the whole town to be knitting obsessed. :lol:
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • RovingPixelsRovingPixels Posts: 1 New Member
    >Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City LIving’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality? For example, should knitting provide Fame in some way?

Knitting should provide fame! I was at my LYS recently when a local yarn maker/dyer came in to knit and show off her new line. It wasn't a mob scene but folks were definitely buzzing!

> Q4: I’d like Knitting to actually take some time to craft, something Sims can save for later and come back to. In your experience, how long have some of your knitting projects taken? I’ll try not to make it feel too grindy, but definitely longer than it takes to paint in our game.

I just finished my first pair of socks: 10 months! Of course, I knitted other things during that time so that might be something to consider. Like writing a book, when you resume, you can choose which project to work on. That seems super realistic: my sim needs to have at least eight different project on needles at any one time.

> Q5: If your Sim wanted to knit something, but they couldn't find a place to sit, would you be okay with them standing up and knitting? Asking for a friend...

Yes, knitting while standing is totally acceptable.

> Q7: I’d like to have some Etsy store-like gameplay, as well as donation gameplay with Knitting. For those of you who may have gone down those paths in real life, what were some interesting takeaways or stories you’d like to see represented?

Knitting for donation: my knitting circle recently made preemie hats to donate to a hospital where the new grandkid one of our knitters was in NICU. It might be fun if sims could get together and all knit a similar item for donation: hats for the homeless, vests for seabirds caught in oil spills, etc. Also, knitting in public is a big thing and the sims could all meet at a coffee shop or pub to do this.

> Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? While this might sound trivial, I feel this is very important for gameplay. I’m interested how people would feel about their level 10 knitter trying to spread their knitting knowledge on others. Let's say you have someone in your family who is a level 10 knitter, if this interaction is autonomous the entire house is going to get a real deep dive into knitting, perhaps constantly.
    >
    > What are your thoughts on potentially “story intrusive” interactions like this, would you be okay to find your family one day all high-level knitters through natural autonomy? Or should this only be user-directed, meaning on you have the ability to choose who gets schooled on knitting. I’d love to hear your thoughts about these sorts of things.

Everybody in my family knits. I started it, my husband learned from me. He designs stuff now--it's his math-y brain. My daughter learned from both of us. She doesn't actively knit anymore but she'll weave in ends for us.

I'm so excited for this pack!
  • CmmciCmmci Posts: 1 New Member
    Q1 Don't care about the fame, unless you want to combine it with the Etsy idea like "Trending" so you earn more fame points during that time duration of the buff, being able to record a knitting video would be nice.
    Seasons: Need to be able to craft mittens and please try to introduce a scarf or two, the modders who use it as a necklace slot for example. Giftable craftables along with maybe a "homemade gift" buff (Would be great for any other gameplay item that you craft then gift.
    Parenthood: Teaching knitting, Heirloom buffs/labels for the craftables, if an abject an emotional buff would be a nice addon for an idea (this would key for storytelling of grandma's knitted items being passed down <3 )
    Cats & Dogs: Make the supply basket playable for both the cats (you KNOW they love any kind of string) dogs to fetch with a ball of yarn and also for toddlers to be mischievous and play with it also (reuse the play in animation for play with toy chest?)
    Get to work: Example, you own your own little craft store, you can a) create an event *unlocked after level? of knitting skill that would allow you to earn money from teaching clients how to knit (mentoring) b)if you were to sell blankets *cough cough* easy way to display would be a recolor of the folded towel objects....and a scaled down version for a scarf ***cough cough*** would not be mad ;)
    Island living: nothing, unless so crotchet some lace items for something lighter feeling?
    University: skill building classes, buff "smells/feels like home" when sim is around an item
    Get Together: Yes for clubs, also can you ask someone about adding more icons for the clubs? hate not having the right icon for a club and relying on mods.

Q2 Yes, yes, and yes!The more we can craft the better, especially with how little we got to craft for cas items and (just a feeling) what will be voted for for the Build/Buy. Yes, we all know it was voted for but we simmers aren't always the smartest with our picks :D

Q3 Haven't seen a lot of knitting at a desk, if at all possible, if the sims team is going to make a pack with crafting/hobbies i think that desk would better suit it. I have inly ever seen tables like this in sewing rooms, mainly is used for cutting patterns out on.

Q4 Never have knitted but family has spent days on smaller objects, weeks to months on larger or more intricate patterns.Recommending in sims time 4 hours small objects, 8 hours medium objects, and 15 hours large objects. and obviously you get faster the higher level you would get.

Q5I feel the sims stand tooooooo much, and but also move around (musical chairs :'( ). Would love to have them want to sit or opt for sitting rather than standing.

> Q6 Yes please, my grandmother tried to teach me how to knit, was not able to pick it up at all had to get one of those crochet plastic looms to be able to make a basic scarf, would be nice for their to be frustrated or sad buffs along with happy and inspired ones. Maybe their could be objects that they could craft together (btw the worse quality of craftable the worse it looks example, misshapen/holes. being able to share stories/memories with them as you craft.
    https://favoreads.club/downloads/grandmas-knitting/
    https://www.pinterest.de/pin/425801339767290465/ (sorry couldn't get the photo to paste)

Q7 Have none, but a great way to be able to sell more, trending buffs, upload to simstagram.

Q8 The itchy buff, uncomfortable moodlet, maybe a kid/teen wearing it would mope around *the walking ridiculously animation they get during a mood swing, toddlers maybe even streak because they hate it so much or throw a tantrum for kids/toddlers.

Q9 Thank google for these
    * I am knit sure I know any! * I dropped a stitch and needle little help! *People say crochet is like knitting,but it's knot
    *There's some great purls of wisdom in here! *Sorry, I didn't mean for my purls of wisdom to needle you
    *The basics are simple enough. It's when you get into the knitty gritty that things start to unravel

Q10 Maybe? Honestly I would like the knitting skill to be autonomous for maybe certain age levels emaple elders/adults if at all possible. Autonomous teaching would be maybe like for only really good relationships or even better they are already working on a project so they call over the sims they want to teach and create a knitting circle and talk/point the, through what to do. If there is a way to filter it maybe for creative sims only to actually enjoy/continue the interaction.
    I don't think its story intrusive as long as its not the only thing they do, example computer being on lot my sims only ever want to play video games....ALWAYS.... It would be nice though to not have to tell your sims to go do certain interactions, maybe its only autonomous when they reach a certain level, not a for all interaction. We need more storytelling in the game and I think this would be a great feature.

I have spent way too long on this...
    Thanks for reading my rambles!
  • professorlilithprofessorlilith Posts: 392 Member
    Thank you for these very thoughtful questions, SimsguruConnor! I don't know that I have time to answer all of them before I have to go to bed, but here's my best shot:
    Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City LIving’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality? For example, should knitting provide Fame in some way? Yes, fame should come from knitting, maybe through etsy and simstagram? And do knitters make patterns that they sell? I know quilters do. I love the idea of mannequins. YES, PLEASE put knitting in as a club activity, (and while you're at it, can you please let the appropriate simgurus know that my Japanese and English sims desperately want to be able have flower arranging clubs?). I would like to see some knitted scarves, hats, and mittens with Seasons, and maybe a cozy knitted pillow stuffed with soothing herbs for Spa Day? Could we have a knitting or crafting festival in City Living? An awards event for knitters in Get Famous? And I can't remember if the Style Influencer career came with a pack or was an update, but it would be great , if a wall board is chosen in the community vote, if it were really an inspiration board for sims to plan knitting projects.

Q2: If some “Crochet-Like” objects became craftable through Knitting, how would you personally feel? Happy? Enraged? Strong sense of ennui? We can’t guarantee unique animations for crocheting, but I’d like to still potentially provide them as a craftable object for players.
    Meh.
    Q3: There’s a cool crafty desk floating around in concept art that you guys may have seen (49 - 52 in the object vote). What would knitting at one of these desks mean to you, if anything? Asking around the office, nobody knits at a desk, but I’m curious if anyone would find value if the new crafting desk tied in with knitting somehow. You don't really need a desk to knit; I feel like either the desk or the inspiration/crafting boards are enough, and the boards are more inportant.

Q4: I’d like Knitting to actually take some time to craft, something Sims can save for later and come back to. In your experience, how long have some of your knitting projects taken? I’ll try not to make it feel too grindy, but definitely longer than it takes to paint in our game. Sorry, a very experienced knitter, so even making a scarf took weeks. but I know people who can crochet a whole blanket in a day or two.

Q5: If your Sim wanted to knit something, but they couldn't find a place to sit, would you be okay with them standing up and knitting? Asking for a friend... I don't have an opionion

Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction. I’d love to have that moment where the Knitting Master granny teaches their grandchild how to knit. For those of you who experienced similar things, what was that experience like for you? I’m curious what people think this should look like - both animation and story wise. Kids and mentees should fail at first, with the string getting too tight to get the needles in, and sims children would have to be in a good mood--definitely not hungry or tired. There should be moodlets for something like, "it's so great to see the younger generation carrying on the tradition/kids today have no appreciation for tradition!" and "knitting is hard but I feel so good about succeeding/so frustrated and embarassed it didn't work out" depending on how well the knitting session went.

Q7: I’d like to have some Etsy store-like gameplay, as well as donation gameplay with Knitting. For those of you who may have gone down those paths in real life, what were some interesting takeaways or stories you’d like to see represented?
    Thank you! I really wanted the donation gameplay in the pack.

Q8: Lets say a Sim is wearing an awful, itchy sweater that they’re wearing only because somebody gifted it for them. What kind of things would you like to see happen to them? There should be uncomfortable scratching animations, and the moodlet options should reflect the relationship: "I hope he doesn't recognize how uncomfortable I am" from the sim wearing the outfit; pride from the sim who made it, and anxiety and embarassment if they realize the person they gave the sweater to is uncomfortable.

Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? While this might sound trivial, I feel this is very important for gameplay. I’m interested how people would feel about their level 10 knitter trying to spread their knitting knowledge on others. Let's say you have someone in your family who is a level 10 knitter, if this interaction is autonomous the entire house is going to get a real deep dive into knitting, perhaps constantly. Personally, I would like it to be autonomous, and would love for mentoring in general to be autonomous. But I have almost every autonomous interactions mod available installed in my game along with mc-command center for story progression. So I am probably an outlier. Polarbearsims on modthesims dot info has a mod that lets sims ask autonomously to move in, but the mod gives you a notification and the option to refuse. I think something like that would be great for knitting. I also think it would be nice for sims to autonomously refuse and ask for lessons.

What are your thoughts on potentially “story intrusive” interactions like this, would you be okay to find your family one day all high-level knitters through natural autonomy? Or should this only be user-directed, meaning on you have the ability to choose who gets schooled on knitting. I’d love to hear your thoughts about these sorts of things.
  • Fran98765Fran98765 Posts: 462 Member
    edited March 2020
    Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City LIving’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality? For example, should knitting provide Fame in some way?

No fame please. Yarn for cats with C&D would be awesome. Crafting SimTube channel with CL. Shrinking sweaters in the washing machine... hand wash only!

Q2: If some “Crochet-Like” objects became craftable through Knitting, how would you personally feel? Happy? Enraged? Strong sense of ennui? We can’t guarantee unique animations for crocheting, but I’d like to still potentially provide them as a craftable object for players.

Crochet is probably a good idea. Crochet and knitting seem to be nemesis (don't know the plural of that word) - if you ask a crocheter if they knitted something, they are not happy. Same with knitters.

Q3: There’s a cool crafty desk floating around in concept art that you guys may have seen (49 - 52 in the object vote). What would knitting at one of these desks mean to you, if anything? Asking around the office, nobody knits at a desk, but I’m curious if anyone would find value if the new crafting desk tied in with knitting somehow.

I like the desk that I voted for. Nobody does knit at a desk, but pattern storage and paperwork to sell your goods or have a crafting simtube channel. Could always stick on sewing machine on the desk too. ;)

Q4: I’d like Knitting to actually take some time to craft, something Sims can save for later and come back to. In your experience, how long have some of your knitting projects taken? I’ll try not to make it feel too grindy, but definitely longer than it takes to paint in our game.

I don't knit but I know larger projects can take weeks. Smaller stuff like little dolls can take a couple hours.

Q5: If your Sim wanted to knit something, but they couldn't find a place to sit, would you be okay with them standing up and knitting? Asking for a friend...

No. But perhaps they could knit up a chair...

Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction. I’d love to have that moment where the Knitting Master granny teaches their grandchild how to knit. For those of you who experienced similar things, what was that experience like for you? I’m curious what people think this should look like - both animation and story wise.

Teach to Knit is incredible. Sitting next to each other on the couch and grandma might help with the needles and encourage other times.

Q7: I’d like to have some Etsy store-like gameplay, as well as donation gameplay with Knitting. For those of you who may have gone down those paths in real life, what were some interesting takeaways or stories you’d like to see represented?

There's a lot of paperwork drudgery in selling crafts. You have to take good photos of your items, post them on Etsy and then market your wares. Take inventory and mail out packages.

Q8: Lets say a Sim is wearing an awful, itchy sweater that they’re wearing only because somebody gifted it for them. What kind of things would you like to see happen to them?

An itchy uncomfortable moodlet. With scratching.

Knit happens. I'm a H.o.o.k.e.r.

Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? While this might sound trivial, I feel this is very important for gameplay. I’m interested how people would feel about their level 10 knitter trying to spread their knitting knowledge on others. Let's say you have someone in your family who is a level 10 knitter, if this interaction is autonomous the entire house is going to get a real deep dive into knitting, perhaps constantly.

Not autonomous. How about spreading knitting love with knitting socials.
  • MissAquaMariMissAquaMari Posts: 7 New Member
    Just a quick preface, I don't actually knit or crochet (there's a difference as I'm constantly reminded), but I have a friend who does. She's been practicing crochet since 6th grade and has come a long way from making basic scarves and blankets to creating a bag to hold my Dungeons and Dragons dice sets in. That said, I can only answer some of the questions so bear with me.

Q1: I'm 99.9% sure that functionality for giving knit things as gifts is going to be implemented-- especially for holidays. However, an interesting cross pack thing might be to have scented stuffed animals. I remember giving my mother a HUGE chocolate scented bear for Valentines Day that she absolutely loved. It would be nice to recreate that, but assets are limited. So, maybe using base game flowers and fruits, sims could mimic their smells for gift recipients to snuggle into and smell the snapdragons (Also, how awesome would it be to gift Santa a holly scented sweater)! But I think it would also be so cute if players with Laundry Day had knitted objects that got dirty over time and need to be washed. A sim toddler or child may stare into the washer to see their plushie "take a bath" and get a playful moodlet or be completely horrified by the rough treatment. It might push them to be like Linus and never wash the blanket/plush or separate from it for a period of time (i.e. having it out of their inventory will earn them a sad or angry moodlet). Alternatively, for that last point, Parenthood may have it so that specific plushies and knitted things may be taken away as a punishment (but I think it works better with Laundry Day for some reason).

Q2: If some already existing objects became craftable, I wouldn't be disheartened. However, if an item wasn't craftable before, I'd rather it not be completely locked out of the CAS menu. Perhaps put a tag in the UI that denotes it as a craftable item in the game.

Q3: I actually see my friend crocheting at a desk all the time since she usually brings her needles and yarn to school to make things whenever she has a break. So it is possible. She either knits with the yarn ball still in the bag or with it out on the table while the item she's working on remains in her hands. Sometimes, she messes up and lays it on the table to count her stitches and compare them to the rows before them. I don't know more nuances than that. Another knitting place would be on the bed, so I'm told. Obviously, my friend is unconventional. Love her though!

Q4: It depends on the project and if it's something that my friend has done before. But of course school came into play in that as well so I dunno.

Q5: I can't imagine that happening. My friend will plop herself on the floor and surround herself in supplies to crochet.

Q6: I don't have the experience of my grandmother teaching me to knit or crochet. However, my friend tried to teach me how to crochet in 6th grade during recess (we were sitting in the bleachers on the track field). My fingers weren't used to the motions at all and I found myself squinting really hard to try to work with the little loops I was making. I thought I finally found a rhythm but when I reached the end, I discovered that I miscounted. Backtracking was even more complicated to learn and maneuver around so I ended up rage quitting.

Q7: I can't speak for Etsy business adventures. However, my friends and I have commissioned my friend to make some things and her family has as well. Me and one of my guy friends had her make drawstring dice bags for our Dungeons and Dragons sets, her grandmother had her create a shall (that took a looong time to make, even though it was Summer when she started), and her father had her create a hat for him to wear in the winter. Having the ability to ask a sim for specific knitted or crocheted items is important.

Q9:
    "Close Knit" - for gift giving
    "How 'Bout Knot" - for those itchy sweaters and unwanted gifts

Q10: I'm gonna say as cool of a concept that sounds, it wouldn't make the knitting interaction unique anymore. Also, not everyone would be so persistent like that. I think that if there is a trait or a purchase from the rewards store that makes it so the autonomous thing is optional, that would be great. Sims 4 can stand to have more autonomy and random events happening. However, skills have always been something that many players are particular about the acquirement of... or at least I am. I don't think evil, rebellious little Max Villareal would take sitting down and learning to knit, of all things, very well.
  • TiffyfaeryTiffyfaery Posts: 1 New Member
    Q1: Love cross pack compatibility! Need GT club rules, retail selling, CL selling, etc that you mentioned. I don't like fame much so I'm neutral on fame from knitting.

Q2: Love it

Q3: I've never heard of anyone knitting at a desk, but I think having the option would be nice.

Q4: I have no knitting experience, but I do think they should take at least as long as painting for small projects and much longer for things like rugs or large clothing items.

Q5: I would like this to be an option, but want them to have sitting as a priority and only stans if it is the only option.

Q6: I LOVE THIS IDEA! Need more child and elder interactions! I think it would be cool if the child seems discouraged or upset when they first start, because they probably make mistakes, but the teacher helps. Or maybe depending on traits, the teacher gets annoyed by mistakes the student makes. Definitely want children-elders to be able to learn.

Q7: YES! Love the idea of an Etsy-like store for sims to sell their creations. This would be a good way to incorporate fame if you wanted. Donations could also inpact reputation.

Q8: Uncomfortable moodlets, maybe red dots on sim if they wear it long enough. I also think they should have itching animations every so often. If the sim who gifted it sees them wear it, they'll be happy or confidenr. But maybe they will be sad if they notice the sim itching.

Q10: I would prefer it not to be autonomous, but I would be fine if it was. I think it is better for storytelling if you have to make the knitter teach others, rather than them doing it at random.
  • mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    Yes to cats playing with yarn!

bhPhPEw.jpg
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • Senke24Senke24 Posts: 1 New Member
    First off, thank you for asking the community of players about gameplay for this pack!

Q1: I think it would be neat if knitting became an elective option when a Sim is enrolled in University (DU).

Q2: Indifferent.

Q3: As someone who once, somewhat recently, attempted to teach myself how to knit, one thing I thought of that would tie the desk in with knitting is that I would sit at my desk to knit because I was watching how-to videos to help me learn.

Q5: I don't think so…seems a bit silly, but then again…this is a game & apparently jogging with wine is now a thing so I don't see why standing to knit should be too weird ;)

Q7: I feel like the "Volunteer with family" option is perfect for this! I know someone who gets together with others and they knit hats that are then donated to kids with cancer, some get hair attached to them as well. I've also read a story which I found heartwarming about someone who knitted scarves then left them in random places with a note on them for anyone in need to take.

Q8: Uncomfortable/Scratchy/Tense moodlet, maybe whims to change clothing/shower, maybe earn extra relationship points with the person who gifted it to them when they wear it, option to burn it…?

Q10: No thank you! I love the idea of "Teach to Knit," but definitely user-directed in my opinion. I don't care for the idea that all my sims will likely end up being level 10 knitters just because I have this pack. I bought Get Famous, but most games I play with fame turned off or I only want one member of a household to be famous. Likewise, not all of my Sims are level 10 in gardening, exercise, music, etc. I just don't think it would make much sense, at least for my gameplay style.
  • crunkandbcrunkandb Posts: 3 New Member
    Q1 & Q9 Holy Moly DoughKNIT Shop!!!!
  • surelymaebysurelymaeby Posts: 4 New Member
    Q1: I think Seasons lends itself to the concept. Maybe in the winter Sims get the urge to knit or buy a knitted sweater, scarf, gloves, etc. Maybe Sims who sell their knitted items experience seasonal rushes in winter or slow business during the summer. Wearing knitted item could provide a positive cozy moodlet in the winter or a negative sweltering moodlet in the summer. Knitted items can be given as gifts for Winterfest or Love Day.

I also think Laundry Day offers the opportunity for knitted items to shrink in the wash or get snags that lead to unraveling.

Q2: I think that'd be good for the pack. The more we're able to do with it the better.

Q3: I think the desks could be good for storage, but I don't know that I'd have my Sims knit at the desks.

Q4: I took a beginner knitting class forever ago. I didn't stick to it, but I do remember that the time it takes to knit something depends on the size of the item you're knitting and the size of your knitting needles. I don't know how in-depth you guys are going with this pack, i.e. whether you'll have different size needles, but even if the needles only come in one size, knitting is still a pretty time-intensive hobby. I think even the smallest, simplest items should take at least a couple hours to knit, then as your Sim's skill increases maybe the craft time for those same items is reduced to an hour or half an hour.

Q5: The only thing I would say is that if standing is an option, the Sims should get a negative moodlet because they're uncomfortable or because it's awkward trying to stand and knit.

Q6: Maybe child Sims could sit on their parent or grandparent's lap while the adult guides their hands. Another option is to have both the younger and older Sims sitting across from each other, on the floor or on a couch, while the older Sim walks them through the process and the younger Sim mimics the movements.

Q7: If there's an Etsy aspect to selling items, I think it could combine elements of social media and freelance gameplay. A Sim creates a Simsy store, they start with no followers and a few items that they list for sale. Maybe there's some sort of interaction to promote the store or the items. The Sim sells their first few items and receives ratings, then as the ratings increase so do sales and requests for custom orders. The Sim can accept or deny the requests. Maybe there's even a haggling interaction where the buyer offers a certain price and the Sim rejects it because it's too low.

Q8: Some sort of uncomfortable moodlet. Maybe the Sim scratches themselves or tugs at the sweater, scarf or whatever.

Q9: Knit happens. Knitwit. Knitty gritty. Chick Knit (maybe a name for a female knitting club). Scarf Aces (another club name maybe). Knit Pickers (I guess these are all just club names now). Tight knit. Let's have a knit cap.

Q10: I play with autonomy off, so I'm in favor of the "Teach to Knit" interaction being user-directed as opposed to autonomous.
  • misadventuremisadventure Posts: 5 New Member
    1: Crosspacking is a great way to continue making the ep's, gp's, and sp's feel more cohesive. I'm not opposed to fame gain from selling like we receive for other craftables. Sims can always opt out on fame so why not. I love all the ideas other simmers have given but especially would like to see pets playing with yarn, added club icons and related socials, comfort bonus during seasonal holidays, if given as a gift: "This was a gift from Gran" etc that provides a +/-moodlet when worn or viewed, Uni elective. Maybe different types of regional yarns. For instance, llama/alpaca from El Selvadorada, plant-based from Sulani, etc

2: I love this idea. I learned how to crochet first and then knit, so maybe the first few levels of skill gain could include the crochet items.

3: Yeah, I don't know anyone that knits at a desk either. Knitting while watching tv, in bed, in your rocking chair, etc. Hutches or storage shelves make more sense.

4: A beanie can take an hour, a pair of slippers can take a half day, a sweater could take weeks or even months depending. I think it should be time consuming, but provide a relaxation buff and decrease tense and sad buffs, time to craft be impacted by the perfectionist trait, but also the higher skill level or even age of the sim to directly impact the time spent on the project as well. My Gran could knit you a blanket in a day! This could greatly enhance our sim elders who are often neglected.

5: Yikes, no. I'd rather find a comfy spot on the cold concrete than stand.

6: It all started with the skein of yarn. I would unravel it as Gran would deftly wrap it into a perfectly formed ball. Then Gran sat in her big comfy chair as I sat cross-legged at her feet, and she would show me a few stitches before directing me. Sometimes even falling asleep contentedly mid stitch.

7: Sims requesting "custom" items and maybe give bonus simoleons or a great review if high quality and lose money or get a poor review if it took too long. More positive reviews means more requests and items sold from the sims' Smetsy page.

8: Uncomfortable, embarrassed, gross rashes, lowered hygiene and stinky sweater buffs or something. Also positive ones like feeling cozy and loved.

9: https://sewingmachinetalk.com/best-sewing-knitting-jokes/

10: I like the autonomous teach to knit idea. That's really the only way I learned because Gran and Mom would constantly be on me about learning. It's tradition! You must Learn! But maybe have the sims who are being hounded by the family members spreading the knitting bug like a zombie virus react to it differently. If they have the creative or family oriented traits they'll respond in a positive way and perhaps accept it autonomously. If they have zero creative skills then a pop-up could appear: Does Teen #2 want to learn how to knit form Gran? And if you choose no they'll run and hide, and if yes they'll do so...begrudgingly or have a Parenthood-like phase triggered in either a positive or negative manner.

Story intrusive is pretty awesome to me. I wish we could see much more story intrusive scenarios occur.
    *cough* burglars *cough*
  • FaoiltearnaFaoiltearna Posts: 767 Member
    @SimGuruConor

Q1: Crosspack play - Yes! Clubs, etc - Double yes! But not Fame, and here's why: Famous knitters and other well-known non-knitting people in the fiber universe are really niche, as in you only know who they are if you're part of that 'verse. If you're active in the fiber world, and go to an event (like Rhinebeck or Estes Wool Market) you would totally know those knitters, crocheters, spinners, dyers, and pattern designers. But if you're not part of that world? You'd have no idea and so rushing up to swoon over them? Not so much. Put it this way, do you - as an everyday non-fiber person (basing this off your questions) - know any famous knitters or other fiber folks?

Q2: "If some “Crochet-Like” objects..." Yeah, sure! The motions are different, but the motions are different for different styles of painting, too - but we don't really see that in game. :smiley: It's all good!

Q3: The cool crafty desk - as a fiber person, I personally wouldn't knit at it. I would use it to pin out and measure swatches, to organize patterns and yarn/fiber for immediate projects (because I have more yarn and fiber than would fit in even that size desk), wind skeins into usable yarn cakes, to photograph my stash and my projects (both in progress and finished), and possibly set out finished projects to dry or block (aka being the right shape when its done). When I sit while knitting, I want to sit somewhere comfortable and possibly watch something streaming while I knit (yes, that's a real thing!) or chat with friends. One of the great things about knitting is that it can be draped on your lap, so you don't need a desk to hold it. The circular needles (needles joined together with a cord between them - look them up if no one in the office knits - but they're kind of like mittens on a cord) keep larger or bulkier projects all contained and it just is. The desk would be a great planning space but I wouldn't use it for knitting.

Oh! Not about the desk specifically, but talking about bulky items got me to thinking about knitting different things in different weather. Most of us who knit/crochet, have different types of projects for different kinds of weather. Summertime knitting is preferably small things - hats, mittens/gloves, socks, even scarves. Autumn/winter knitting is the big stuff - sweater coats, big thick shawls, afghans and other blankets - which gives you the added benefit of being cozy warm while you're working away. So maybe there could be a small tuning effect that makes knitting big heavy items not as enjoyable during the summer "too warm for knitting to be enjoyable", but autumn/winter knitting for those same items could be "cozy under the blanket, even if it's only half-done" or something.

Q4: My shortest projects have taken me a couple of hours - things like simple knitted hats. My longest projects - intricately knitted lace shawls - have taken me as long as a couple months. Projects that I've designed the pattern for take even longer still, since there's not just knitting it, but working and reworking the pattern as you figure out what will work to give you the item/look you want. Depends on the complexity of the projects. And yes, having the ability to set it down (even small projects) and come back to it is a thing - and should be incorporated just like we can do with painting in game.

Q5: I'd be fine with my Sim standing to knit. I prefer to sit, but have knitted while standing in line to get into places. Or if my kid's at the park and there's no where nearby to sit. I've leaned against walls while waiting for someone and worked on a small project that I had with me. I generally have my yarn in a smallish project bag slung over my shoulder or arm, so that the yarn stays contained while I work - I don't want to have to chase my yarn as it rolls away.

Q6: I didn't learn to knit as a kid. I was an adult when I learned. I started basic, with some help from my mom (who knits, but isn't a Master knitter), and learned how to do rows of knits and purls. When I had a handle on that, Mom took me to the local Joann Craft store, let me pick out some yarn, showed me which knitting needles to get, and taught me how to knit socks. That was the first pattern I learned to follow, complete with mathing to make sure the socks would fit my feet. But my story is different from how a lot of people start out :smiley: With kids, learning usually takes place side by side, and the learner's hands are covered and guided through the basics by the hands of the teacher. There should be fumbles and mistakes, but eventually the learner will catch on. If learning from someone as T-A, the learner sits next to the teacher, but the teacher knits slowly on their own practice piece, showing the learner the steps and having them follow along with their own practice piece.

Q7: I've not sold anything, so can't contribute ideas for Etsy-like play. But I have knitted for donations - knitted or crocheted squares sent to a coordinator to be joined together to make into blankets to send or take to people who need them (Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota for instance or homeless shelters), and hats that were sent to a person for a local (to them) cancer center that they had used while fighting their own battle with that horrible disease. We don't have diseases like that in the Sims, and no one is homeless or suffering poverty, but those are a couple of ways that I've donated my time and yarn.

Q8: Oh, the uncomfortable knitted item! They should get a serious uncomfortable moodlet that lasts until they take the item off. Also, minor embarrassment depending on how ugly the item is (doesn't even need to be a sweater - might be a scarf that Gramma made out of the scratchiest yarn in existence, but you have to wear it to her house for the holiday dinner because she wants to see it on you). Possibly a grumpy moodlet at the obligation of having to wear the item.

Q9: Sorry, not punny enough to help with this question.

Q10: No to the autonomy! I don't want the whole house/neighborhood to suddenly all be amazing knitters. I would love however, for those who are high-level in knitting (for instance, the active sim knitter) to be sought out to teach knitting if they choose, or for my active Sim to be able to offer knitting classes (a freelance career maybe?)
  • Jeza75Jeza75 Posts: 4 New Member
    Q1 : Awesome idea I love to see new packs being interconnected with the old ones. I would love to have knitting clubs, and maybe being able to knit club outfits.
    Being able to sell our knitted items in retail, in the festival tables, and also make videos of our knitting and review knitted objects on the get famous recording table for the youtuber career. I would personally prefer knitting and fame to be only linked in that way and not the knitting itself giving you fame like playing an instrument does.
    Also I've never played the careers related to fashion but if there was a way to connect them with knitting like promoting your own knitted fashion line or something that would be neat.

Also what about kids/teens ? knitting could increase creativity but also emotional control like playing an instrument does, that would be neat !
    It should also count towards the arts and crafts scouts badge.
    And later at uni crafting could help relieve stress before exams.

Q2 : The more crochet like objects I can craft the happier I would be, I don't mind if there are no animations or if a generic animation that doesn't exactly fit the object is used.

Q3 : I think having the option to use those craft tables would be great, they're very beautiful and also it would be a good foundation to one day having more functionality attached to them, more types of crafts could be made there and I understand that it wouldn't probably be an official pack but modders could provide great content with those.

Q4 : I've never knitted or even made many crafts in my life so I don't have much input about realistic expectations but I'll still to say that I agree that it should take time and depend on the size/complexity of the item. I don't want it to be trivial to produce dozen of items every day except if it's a tiny thing not worth much.

Q5 : I certainly would love to be able to craft anytime/anywhere, relieve stress before an exam, but if possible I would prefer them to be sitting on the ground and not standing though I would take standing over not being able to do it without an item to sit on.

Q6 : No useful input here except to say that more skills need a "teach to" and also "mentor" option (gardening, cooking for example) so I certainly would love to have them for knitting... But what about also having youtube videos on how to knit for adults that want to learn and don't have someone to ask for advice ? And maybe a knitting skill class at uni or a class like "knitting as an art form" or something ?
    Still being a practical skill having someone teaching you hands on how to knit should involve both people sitting and knitting together while speaking to each other and would give the best skill gain bonus followed by the mentor action with the learning sims sitting and knitting with the other standing behind and pointing , giving advice and showing the issues that would be second best skill gain boost.

And what about a : "knit together interaction ?" Where people who already know how to knit (level 3 and up or so maybe ?) would all sit together and knit and it would also help learn faster as they would help each other out ? It would also be a wonderful way to spend your time together and a neat interaction for knitting clubs.

Q7 : I would love an Etsy like gameplay, only thing strange would be to only be able to use that for knitting and not for our other craftable items like the ones from the crafting table and our paints. But I would still take it over no online selling at all.
    It would tie nicely to the youtuber career or even just the youtuber recording table. Same with seeing my items on sims around the world, that would be great and could tie to the fashion careers.
    Donating them is a very nice idea, should provide reputation like other charity actions and count towards the scout badges too for kids/teens and raise their empathy.

Q8 : I love this idea ! and the reaction/attitude of the sim should absolutely depend by order of importance on : his traits (mean/good etc), his relationship with the giver and his mood at the time .

Q9 : Sorry can't help you here :)

Q10 : I'm a dictator who never plays with free will :tongue:
    But I think that to avoid having 100% of the population knowing how to knit and make it something completely trivial the autonomy should be very restricted , like only having two students at the time, so if someone agreed to learn until that person is level say 6 or 7 the teacher wouldn't take another student, only asking to people who are friends and it should only be accepted if the person asked has any artistic interest (creative for example) and/or is in a creative mood, something like that.
  • ConnerJake1995ConnerJake1995 Posts: 2 New Member
    I think the auto teach knitting should be based off of the traits like creative and family oriented.
  • FeyonaFeyona Posts: 145 Member
    Thank you for your questions!

Crosspack sounds nice. I was hoping that there will some sort of integration, especially with Cats and dogs pack. It would be nice to see cats playing with yarn, or toddlers unraveling half-knitted sweater causing their parents to get upset with them. Regarding fame: Sim could post pictures of their creations online on their simstagram account gaining more followers and fame, which would lead to better sales.

Q2: I don't think that animation matters that much in this case. If there will be separate books to learn crocheting and knitting it would be nice. Otherwise it is not worth implementing at all if the only time when we know that sim crotched by seeing a final product.

Q3. I never knit at desk. It is just simply not comfortable.

Q4. It takes me about an hour to knit a simple hat, and2-3 hours to knit a complicated pattern. Around 1 day (5-6 hours) to knit a scarf, around a week to knit a sweater. Also pretty much every knitter will knit a sample before going for a full item. It is done to calculate the pattern and see how it looks with the yarn and particular color.

Q5. Absolutely not. Imo, sim can just sit on the ground and knit. No one would knit standing. No one.

Q6. I was taught by my mother, my grandma never knitted. She would show it in her hands passing the piece to me after knitting a few rows. Also she gifted me a book with patterns.

Q8. I would expect to see a sim a little bit angry or uncomfortable from wearing itchy sweater.

Q10. Please, leave users the chance to control our sims and decided by ourselves what our sims will do.

A few quick ideas for the pack:
    1. Sims could buy patterns in order to progress faster/become more experienced knitter. Patterns could be sold via magazines or online
    2. Sims need to buy a yarn. Better quality yarn leads to better quality sweater, better experience while wearing it, higher price when sims sells and item online.

• mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 169 Member
    Hello :)

Q1: It would be awesome, if CATS could harmlessly PLAY WITH THE WOOL while the Sim is knitting, and maybe they could have an interaction with the knitting basket and destroy the knitted goodies inside while everybody is sleeping. :) So the Sim has to make sure that the knitting basket is "catproof" so that the kitty can't do any harm.

Q2: Sure, the more options the better, as long as we can tell the difference (The sim holding a crochet needle instead of a knitting needle and different moodlet maybe.)

Q3: If you could fit in a sewing machine, that would make so much sense for the use of the crafting table, but I personally would rather knit sitting on a couch than knitting at a table.

Q4: For little projects like a teddy bear less time, and for bigger projects like a rug much more time, maybe a few days to a week, or even weeks? And if the Sim is knitting too much (like more than 6 hours in a row) the fingers could hurt a little bit and a tense or happy moodlet like "knitting marathon", depending on the hopefully new trait? ;)

Q5: No, please do not let them stand up knitting. I'd much rather prefer them sitting. Please let the knitted goods BE PORTABLE in the Sim Inventory, so they can knit anywhere in the world as long as there is a seating surface. :smile: And please let them knit while watching TV, listen to the radio or talking to others.

Q6: I LOVE IT! Please let the children learn how to knit! :smiley: And the teacher should not just stand beside or behind the child (like helping with homework or piano lessons), they should SIT TOGETHER on a couch or two chairs and they BOTH should knit. The teacher explains something in simlish, and the child sometimes has a confused look on their face, so they look up from their knitting from time to time to watch the master knit or ask a question. PLEASE INCLUDE TODDLERS, maybe the toddler can play with the wool while the Sim is knitting. And wouldn't it be cute, if the teddybear lost one button-eye, so the toddler gets sad and the grandparent offers to fix it? If it's possible, INCLUDE BABY'S, so the parents or grandparents could knit a cute little onesie for them to wear. :D

Q8: The Sim getting embarrassed while wearing the sweater, kids and teenagers getting an embarrassed moodlet during school. Itching and scratching while wearing the sweater. And a happy, relieved moodlet when the sweater is finally taken off. The one who made it could get a moodlet something like "Ungreatful grandchild". Or a quirky Sim could really like the sweater and get a proud moodlet like "unique clothing is everything" or something like that.

Q10: No, please no autonomy teaching! I would much more prefer to choose for myself, which Sim wants to learn or teach knitting than having my game decide for me.

Great ideas and questions! Thanks for including us :)
    I can't wait for this pack!! The Build/Buy and craftable items look soooo cute!!!! :)
  • sunnysidupsunnysidup Posts: 38 Member
    Q1: definitely need a knitting club and for knitting to be an activity for the group to select. It would be cool if we could graffiti knit more things for University crossover.

Q2: Honestly, when I first voted for the pack I thought it was going to be more than just knitting so yeah crochet would be great...even with no new animations.

Q3: Nobody knits at a desk. You need the arms out in front of you and the work to cascade lovingly onto the floor for it to be knitting ;)

Q4: Definitely interested in a knit project taking awhile. Some knit projects take years to actually slog through. It would be cool if various projects took different amounts of time (assuming we’re actually getting various projects to knit like the wood crafting table). Like a blanket could be a couple sim days and a cap could be like a couple hours.

Q5: Standing and knitting is dangerous...maybe deadly.......

Q6: Teaching to knit sounds awesome! I imagine it like a side by side interaction on a couch or bed and the teacher occasionally adjusts the yarn of the one they’re teaching and holds up their project to show it off.

Q7: I’m not sure what to make of donation or Etsy gameplay

Q8: If sims are wearing an itchy sweater they should scratch. It would be hilarious if they could get so itchy they tear it off and turn nude XD If it’s funny looking, i think it’d be cool to have other sims laugh and stare as they pass.

Q9: Sit back and let me spin you a yarn.
    This is a wooly mammoth of a project.
    The whole knittin caboodle.
    An experienced knitter is a knit wit.
    Knit back and relax.

Q10: I don’t think knitting should be autonomous...unless it’s like a level 10 crazy knitting granny who just
    HAS to teach you before she croaks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top