Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has anyone ever had sims they didn't purposely kill in the Sims 4 die?

Comments

• PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I've been keeping track of most of my sims I've played over the past few years. Out of curiousity, I went back through and counted up the death types.

Out of 118 sims I've played (that I kept track of), 32 died of old age, and 8 died of other causes. Nearly all of unnatural deaths were either orchestrated or that I "allowed" to die. Maybe I've had one unexpected death - a vampire who died from sun overexposure.

Here are the death types of those who didn't die from old age:

2 Electrocutions
    2 Overexposure to sun (Vampires)
    1 Laughter/Hysteria - a bad outcome from the Wishing Well
    1 Rabid Rodent Fever (this is impossible to be accidental)
    1 Overexhaustion (I allowed this Sim to overexercise)
    1 Fire (I allowed the fire to continue)

I also had a Sim "witness the death" of an NPC for the Public Enemy aspiration; he used Pufferfish Nigiri to do the deed.

• TheRepoManSamTheRepoManSam Posts: 16 Member
    You can have one sim defrost the other if one freezes in a snowstorm. I only played with one sim at the time and found out the hard way.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    The only unexpected deaths that i have in my game are of old age. Unexpected in the sense that i don't know the exact date and time it will happen. I have had a few sims die in fires, but only because i've taken that as a life event and haven't made them stop the fire or just run. I allowed it to happen. Also killed once a sim by drowning him. It made sense for the story. Have had lots of sims with very intense emotions but it never ended in death.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    I mean other than old age if you play with aging on.

Yes. I recall one. It happened either the day I bought Tiny Living or the day after. I placed the premade tiny lot in Glimmerbrook, and made a new sim for living in that house. He did the first time he tried to open the murphy bed. That was not intented.

• Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    edited February 2020
    Towards the very beginning (2015), I had a sim die of embarrassment after a rejected marriage proposal. I also had a hysteria death, two electrocution deaths (dishwasher and robotics station), and several fire deaths.

The dishwasher death was also early on because I didn’t know that dazed sims getting electrocuted would result in instant death. (In The Sims 3, even singed sims would not always die when re-attempting to fix something.)

The most notable fire death was when I was playing The Selection. I was getting bored, so I started watching YouTube on the same monitor. When I returned to my game, one of the selected had died.

Maybe one reason why I hate Discover University so much (other than the anxiety-enduring pop-up) is because the first sim I ever sent died before even completing a term. (And I’ve been scared to send my sims to Foxbury ever since!)

Everyone else died of old age or on purpose.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Yes twice. The first time was when I was new to sims 4 and my simself froze to death. The second time was more upsetting for me. I had a very lovely teenage sim from a troubled background, he ran away from home to sulani to be nearer to his half-siblings. One night he went swimming in the ocean and drowned. I was not expecting it and the death has had a lasting impact on his half brother.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Only one ever. My sim was dating Johnny Zest, and they were joking in the park and flirting and they eloped. When the camera zoomed in on them in front of the house when they went home I got the dread music and the camera cut to Johnny on the sidewalk outside his new home... He clutched his heart and fell dead on the ground. I could do nothing but watch as grimmy took poor Johnny on his wedding day. He died of Hysteria (which he didn't appear to have at the park). His new spouse plead for his life but it was no use. Grim was feeling particularly mean that day and said no.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • MeGaN_Cor_gi2020MeGaN_Cor_gi2020 Posts: 1 New Member
    A bit ago, one of my sims died from drowning in the pool at the house they'd lived in for about 4seconds
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Lquinn wrote: »
    I haven't had a single Sim die on me in Sims 4 on accident. I watch them too well. When they go hysterical or get electrocuted, I send them for a nap or shower, respectively. It's too easy. And yet, I heard that there's a 25% chance of dying by Murphy bed with no warning, and if I had that pack, I'd be avoiding Murphy beds for that reason. *shrugs at self*

I watch mine too well too but I play rotationally and my sims die when I'm playing other families. Usually from weather.

I didn't know that could happen.

ugh it happens to me all the time! I think part of the problem is that I play with long seasons (28 days) so winter has time to get really really cold for a very long time, and I play in places with a ton of snow. Or I used to, I got tired of it and moved them all to Sulani lol. Bring on heatwaves instead hahaha!
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I just lost another one to Hypothermia last night.

And I actually didn't count the maids and townies that weren't part of my household. There was a time (back before the maid glitch) I had to fence off my pool every winter or the maid would go for a swim and freeze to death.

After the maid glitch I didn't bother - they were all my sims, right? Yeah, except I was in the middle of working on something with another sim and by the time I had a moment I could pause - too late.
  • HagfisherHagfisher Posts: 950 Member
    My sim, Solomon Weaselnewt, died on the third day of gameplay from an unfortunate accident involving dryer lint and a very very hot fire.

One sim froze to death after she went outside to swim in the dead of winter. She was getting to the front porch then died.

When the game was brand spanking new, I left one of my games unpaused while I did some chores around the house only to come back and find an urn with my favorite sim’s name on it.
    125722018d2ffda673d70ee3796940a120b51e40.png

• poemetragurlpoemetragurl Posts: 17 Member
    I had one of my main sims go for a a swim and she ended up drowning. She wasn't exhausted and the weather was good. There were even a few lifeguards on duty, yet it still took place. I still have no idea why. It was totally unexpected, but I had to go with it due to how I play. She is one of the first early deaths in my main save being a young adult. However, years ago I threw a party and had my sims playing in the pool. The mom was in the kitchen when all of a sudden the death song played. I was confused. It turned out her son died in the pool that was crowded with sims. He was only a child. I was so sad that I rolled back the save. I couldn't let him go out like that.
  • MikkiMikkiMikkiMMikkiMikkiMikkiM Posts: 213 Member
    Yes, one time a visiting Sim drowned during the welcome wagon :') I saved her by begging Death not to take her though.

During the Welcome Wagon?!? That might be one of the fastest accidental deaths yet :D

Yeah, she went swimming and it was really cold and then she got hypothermia and drowned. And I saw it happen, but I couldn't do anything because I couldn't control her. Really silly.
  • Simmer2020Simmer2020 Posts: 1 New Member
    [quote="OriginalName;d-972866"]

But I am curious, has anyone ever had another sim die (except from old age), and it wasn't on purpose? If so, does it happen a lot?

Thanks,

[/quote]

I’ve been playing the sims 4 for about a couple of weeks now, so I’m kinda new to the game, but as for now I’m a bit disappointed by how hard it is to actually get sims randomly killed by... anything. Unless I wanted a sim dead, no one ever died during my playthrough except by aging.

Now I didn’t really play the sims 3, but I played the sims 2 quite a lot and I’d just like that the random accidents would work the same way they used to do in the sims 2.

For instance, the cowplant in the Sims 2 was really scary. It was an almost guaranteed death if a sim would try to eat its cake, so you had to be extra careful; now, in the Sims 4, you ALWAYS get a second chance. The only way to die from the cowplant is to try eating the cake for a second time while you still have the negative moodlet on from your first attempt.

But here’s the catch, a sim will never try to get the cake again, if they still have the negative moodlet on from their first attenpt. They’d rather die of starvation.

This means that sims will never randomly die from a cowplant in the sims 4. The only way to get a death from cowplant is to manually control the sim and order them to get the cake for a second time, immediately after a first attempt.

Huge letdown tbh.

Source: six (irl) hours of testing
    (Ps4 player. No mods / base game with no expansions)
    @Simmer2020 Has Tiny Living been released for console yet? If so, I recommend you get that one as your first pack. If your sims sleep in a murphy bed, they'll very likely get crushed to death within a few days; sometimes even on the first night. All you have to do is have them lower the bed from the wall.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Can I just say.. in general I really don't like the 'muwahaha killing my sims in the pool or basement' thing that some players are all about.
    This is not fun for me, I find it somewhat disturbing. I get that a little exploring or trying can be done, but everywhere I look memes, youtube videos or blogs that have their first sims player test it out, he/she seems only interested in killing them. As if this is what The Sims is most known for. Not for me.

I like my sims and I care for them. I care about their personalities, stories and what the outcomes of all those little decisions are.
    In TS1 I had a series of sims dying one by one after each other and I had no clue why.. Then I learned about that hamster disease :D Never bought a hamster after that.
    In TS3 I had the father of 4 kids (mind that a set of twins was still in the whom and about to arrive any time soon) die from electrocution. It was tragic, but I kept it in.
    In TS4 I only had my elder sim die from age, but she came to one of her daughters apartment to pass away. It was kind of sad as well, but also nice that the game made her visit my sim first. I cherished it.
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    The unplanned deaths happen all the time in my game because i switch on autonomous. I read everyone's response and i just might download some of the mods to curb enviro deaths.

1. 3rd gen elder heir died to autonomous running on the treadmill. (I saved him so many times bt the one time i was busy with other sims and poof)

2. 4th gen heir died to hysteria after playing with toddler daughter. Saved him with dedeathify spell, then he went and died to exertion. (I weaved a story of how the daughter got ptsd after, but i really wanted him to live :( )

3. Vampires dying at outdoor weddings. The game needs to give npc vamps some serious survival instincts.

4. Rotational household member and townies die from hypotermia.

5. A Uni housemate got electrocuted to death while fixing the stereo. There was a party going on too and everyone started crying.

6. This one's vague. Another housemate died from embarrassment for peeing on himself. He was dirty and autonomously sang. Someone heckled/booed him for lousy singing skills and he died from compounded embarrassment. Something weird like that.

• SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    Wow. I lost a spellcaster to overload once, but that was because I had her dueling (did I spell that right?) with her husband for too long and didn't notice her charge bar. When I did, it was too late. She then overloaded, and I kept trying to level her up so she could get the 'discharge' perk (ironic, right?). Needless to say, that was the end of my legacy founder.
    In a bizarre footnote to the story, her husband was her second spouse - the father to her child was killed in a fire (okay, so it was deliberate on my behalf), so her current partner (who she got engaged to on her first date, and married straight after. He didn't even know any of her traits) was left to raise his stepson, having barely known his wife.
    Ouch.
    banner.png
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I've had several die, but it has mostly been in situations where I had 6+ sims in a household and I wasn't paying attention. Deaths have included fire from low cooking skill, drowning from exhaustion, and emotional deaths.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I had a family the Prusks on a lot in Willow Springs, in their garden they had "a slip and slide". Sims just love these, and I did not take it away during the winter so Albert froze to death playing on it during a blizzard.

Five Brindies
  • Isa18Isa18 Posts: 1 New Member
    Last weekend, I left my game running while I did other things, came back and one of my sim who was on a date with his wife , died in the sauna :( oups!
    I think that Sims 4 deaths are an average amount, so both people who do and don’t want them are unsatisfied for the most part.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Unintential, Vladius died in a dryer fire, child ate nigeri pufferfish and died, sim was in Selvadorda and woohoo'ed an elder to death.

Intentional, MCCC. :D I have developed an annoying habit...if I can't get attached to a sim, they will die. I have stories and some sims just do not figure into the story. TBH, I've only done it a couple of times, or maybe three. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • MariKariSMariKariS Posts: 2 New Member
    I recently thought it would be cool to start a weenie party during a heatwave, i invited all my sims friends and one (Simeon Silversweater) didn't change his clothes to warm weather and died. Much like James Turners' let's play, but it happened before he posted that episode so I didn't really know that it would happen. I worked so hard to resurrect this sim again, I didn't have any luck with magic although my sim was a top level spellcaster, eventually the wishing well granted my wish.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Played sims only 1, a kid froze to death in the swimming pool (it was a holiday I made where "Polarbear Plunge" was an activity), that was just aweful, luckily I had saved before that so I got her back (and deleted that holiday).

Townies/NPCs died alot more on their own, mostly weatherrelated (freezing and overheating), but I have a bar where at least 3 people died, I don't even know what killed them...they all died in one evening/night and I just...I don't know why...they weren't all elders so it couldn't have been old age with all of them, it remains a mystery to this day...very spooky but also very fitting for a bar in Forgotten Hollow.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat