Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 is rumoured to be going online. For it or against it?

Comments

• Options
    bluelightingbluelighting Posts: 704 Member
    I do not want an online component to be apart of the game.
    with all the new grafics and what the guru's have learned from sims 4, i think a redo of sims 3 would be awesome in my opinion. but alas the probably will go multi game. the game is today is great for me. i played wow i hated it. everything was way to fast pace for me. i really hate hate batles, where u have to in some sort of guild, that always sucked.

i like playing in my own lil world at my own chosen pace. i would like some changes sure.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    This.
    The gallery is fine, but otherwise, keep the Sims single-player.

• Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Hey EA, no one wants this. Where are you going to get your money if we all leave? You'll crash and burn, you won't get enough new people to play.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I would be happy with an option to play online as long as I can still play single player.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    To me the Simming Community since TS1 was a great community to talk about and share Sims and houses/lots. Also, great world builders for TS2 and TS3 shared their work with us and all was good. What this team and EA has done is try to turn The Sims into some sort of competitve game, when it never was. Modders made stuff for the community because they wanted to do it, not to gain any popularity. These days it's all about who can get the biggest followers (which is on Maxis for that type of hype) and who can build the best whatever, (even if it's not, Maxis goes ahead and favors something, even when it shouldn't be, especially if it has cc in it).

If they want to take The Sims back down the road to some multi-player game then go ahead, Maxis, but once you create a monster, what to do with it? Just ask Frankenstein. If you think you have infighting, disputes and arguments, now, go ahead build that MMO and see what kind of community you get then, now that you have successfully turned a friendly game of sharing because we care, into a competition because they need that microtransaction. Go ahead, revive the monster.

If the next Sims game is like that then I want nothing to do with it. It is bad enough on the forums at times :(
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I would be happy with an option to play online as long as I can still play single player.
    @catitude5 wrote: »
    Hey EA, no one wants this. Where are you going to get your money if we all leave? You'll crash and burn, you won't get enough new people to play.

My question is how many people have boycotted TS since 2014? I know for a fact that it is a huge number of Simmers!

Lessons should have been learnt by now!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited February 2020
    Online like The Sims FreePlay ? Play on tablet or phone (cross platform) ? Why not !

Online like The Sims Online ? Multiplayer ? No thanks !
  • Options
    Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    I would definitely, definitely not play or purchase (or go near) the Sims 5 if it required Multiplayer online gameplay. It has no appeal to me. It's fun to talk about your Sims, but I want to play alone. I have no need for anything online beyond the forums and the shared content that already exists.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited February 2020

My question is how many people have boycotted TS since 2014? I know for a fact that it is a huge number of Simmers!

They aren't worried about losing old customers -- they're worried about gaining new ones. I'm not exactly boycotting Sims 4. I'm boycotting Origin, and that means that no Sims 4 for me. And I'm saving money, so that's good.

Edit: That's not quite true -- I quit buying Sims 4 packs as soon as I read the comment about Maxis not being worried about old players because we'll buy things anyway. Wiping Origin off my machine was just an added bonus, and I can't see myself putting it back on.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    I just feel if they make the game online even if it has a single component it will be missing something just like the sims 4 is. Just concentrate on a great single player game!
  • Options
    CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member
    If Sims 5 is a full time online game, I won't be playing it, that's for sure. I don't mind the gallery requiring us to be online to download someone else's creations, but that's as far as any online component for Sims should go.
  • Options
    slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    I would love to play Sims online!
    my only problem will be like TSO you'll have to pay monthly fee
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited February 2020
    They also need to think of how many kids play this game! If there are online social features you could easily get creeps and predators seeking out people for harm. The more I think of it this could be quite a disaster. Why can't they just focus on making an in-depth and groundbreaking life simulator? Focus on making the most intelligent and diverse Sim AI first of all and fun things for them to do in their lives! It really is that simple. Every game has its own identity for a reason!!! Mario Brothers is Mario Brothers. Zelda is Zelda. Witcher is Witcher! Those games are radically successful because they stick to the identity they are and have improved with varying entries as they're released. They need to focus on making The Sims the best version of exactly what it is: THE SIMS!!!
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited February 2020
    2 words.

SIMCITY 2013

We all know how well that turned out. So why would doing it again be a good idea?

And say it was online, and you could see everyone else's sims doing everything. And I do mean EVERYTHING. The game is T rated of course, but how about online interactions? How would that be moderated? I know alot of us have mods that completely annihilate the T rating (myself included) and assuming that the Sims 5 is mod friendly, how do you prevent seeing sims that break that T rating? Keeping in mind that players have always been free to use mods at their discretion, would it be a reportable offense?
    Post edited by InuMiroLover on
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2020
    I think most players who are still playing TS2 and TS3 on a personal computer probably won't go for a multiplayer game. I'm not sure about console players, they might. I mean those who never played the pc versions. They might want some sort of co-op and those young ones who live on instagram might want it. I think their core fanbase will probably not buy into it. A few (thousand?) might try it but then go right back to TS2 or TS3. Maybe they know something we don't and all those instagram newbies want one. And therer are those who will buy anything with Sims on it, even if they don't like most of it. They say it themselves, about packs and versions or whatever, they like it all or they just do it (buy all) because it's some sort of completion thing or habit. They might play it, but I doubt many of us who like TS2 and TS3 will play a multiplayer. But really how many of us are actually left? I think TS4 probably has the largest new fanbase to date, maybe. I would like to know if that is true.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    I like playing with others. I have played MMO and like it, especially playing with my boyfriend and our friends. It is more fun for me that way. I have stopped playing Sims because it is boring without others to play with. NPC is not real and they are boring.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited February 2020
    did we not end up getting such a bad sims 4 game at launch cause they wanted the sims 4 to be an online game

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    I absolutely do not want an online component beyond the gallery. The Sims is not the type of game that lends itself to MMO at all, it would divert already limited resources from what it should be (single player), it would inevitably allow toxic situations/encounters between players, and it would almost certainly create practical issues like major lag and the elimination of custom content/mods.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member

What do you consider a "huge" number, though? 80? 100? Several hundred? That's not even going to scratch the surface. So thousands? Ten thousand maybe? Still not even a noticeable dent. Because for the ten thousand players who actually walk away, they get another thirty thousand new ones who have never played a Sims game, expanding their numbers. That's why they market to younger generations. They know there's always going to be some loss between games and they most likely anticipate it. But between the loyalists and new players, the numbers just continue to grow. And if they didn't, the franchise would just end. EA isn't the type of company to beat a dead horse. When the game stops making money, the company stops producing. There would be no remorse-filled scrabbling to make it right with the players. That would only cost more money.

Unfortunately, players face a double-edged sword where, if we support the game it gets to continue, but on EA's terms. But if we try to speak with our wallets when we don't like the direction, and it causes enough of a plummet in revenue, then EA just abandons ship and points the blame at us for not giving enough support. It's the unfortunate truth until a worthy competitor comes along.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    AndyMeadesonAndyMeadeson Posts: 25 Member
    I think an online aspect would be a challenge and the game would lose a pivotal foundation of what makes it fun. Players control their entire Simulation: how created sims exist and interact with the world. Adding another player, or thousands?, or even just some friends, removes the home player control aspect that I find enjoyable.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I've voted that I don't want TS5 to be a multiplayer online game but I know EA won't listen. I voted because I know that Alex Masse of Paralives and the folks at Paradox Tectonic will listen.

I'm not as emotional about the rumor as I would be before because now with Paralives and whatever life sim game Paradox Tectonic comes out with (and other game companies will probably try their hand at the life sim genre too when TS5: The Multplayer Online Game bombs), I now feel I have choices - I don't feel that I only have The Sims anymore!
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited March 2020
    I've voted that I don't want TS5 to be a multiplayer online game but I know EA won't listen. I voted because I know that Alex Masse of Paralives and the folks at Paradox Tectonic will listen.

I'm not as emotional about the rumor as I would be before because now with Paralives and whatever life sim game Paradox Tectonic comes out with (and other game companies will probably try their hand at the life sim genre too when TS5: The Multplayer Online Game bombs), I now feel I have choices - I don't feel that I only have The Sims anymore!

Agreed
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited March 2020
    Anyway it's EA, we can make as much noise as possible they won't listen. Their CEO is deaf. The only sound he can hear is the noise of rubbed money.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    LightningSparxLightningSparx Posts: 13 New Member
    I loved "The Sims Online". I would love to see it in Sims 5. It would be nice if you could decide when to make your lot and sims appear online.
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    edited March 2020
    Anyway it's EA, we can make as much noise as possible they won't listen. Their CEO is deaf. The only sound he can hear is the noise of rubbed money.
    Yep. Unfortunately no amount of complaining will change their minds about this, all we can hope for is that they make a good single player/offline mode as well, and I think that is what people should be focusing on.

But hey, at least we have Paralives coming, I'm sad that it's coming so late though. The Sims needed a competitor to keep them in line a long time ago.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2020
    marcel21 wrote: »
    did we not end up getting such a bad sims 4 game at launch cause they wanted the sims 4 to be an online game

Yes, but EA somehow forgot about that. They also forgot that most of their online services IP's have been complete trash. Look at Anthem. It's as dead as ever. I'm just glad TS3 and TS2 exist and still run on windows 10....it's all I need of TS since everything new they dish out is halfbaked soy crap.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1