Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 is rumoured to be going online. For it or against it?

ari100ari100 Posts: 74 Member
I heard that The Sims 5 will be online, or at least have an online component. I was wondering who is interested in playing an online game, who isn't and why? Apparently there will still be a single player component. My issue is that I believe a focus on going 'online' will completely take away from the possibilities of expanding on, improving and creating new gameplay for the single player component. I don't want a repeat of "There are no pools, toddlers... ect because we wanted to focus on other things like 'emotions.' I want a complete and new game that sticks to the tradition of The Sims play style and I think it is highly probable we won't get this with a focus on an 'online' component. What do you think?

The Sims 5 is rumoured to be going online. For it or against it? 400 votes

I would love to play Sims online!
3%
slamondaAngelluluSineeawrenstalesorigionalmeheheAquaGamer1212tmcevoy1121ddd994aiexShaercm_113LightningSparxpengyang1004 13 votes
I would be happy with an option to play online as long as I can still play single player.
28%
Stdlr9Eme783alexspoom13alan650111kippy300aprilroseWedbekiAlainar415Pipersfun2simgirl1010ANNETTE1951IObelleBagoas77g01denswanluthienrisingLizzychicagoKim5496aecollins21pajamajam07 113 votes
I do not want an online component to be apart of the game.
68%
auroraael14CK213catmom1987windweaverrudy8292julienrob2004IdontrcallcudleybabysimneutralsideIcewolfErja888Cabelle1863Cnstnc680jujee55AprilDawnCamkatAnnie2008PlayerSinger2010EvilWitch83SleepycatDSL 274 votes

Comments

• jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    Normally I'd say, well as long as we can still play single player, that's fine, but we saw what happened when they shifted Sims 4 halfway through (thereabouts) production from multi to single player. Things get limited. I truly believe that most games that are both single and multi player suffer in one of the two ways, depending on the main focus of the game. And sometimes both single and multi player suffer.

I have no problem with there being another SEPARATE main Sims game developed, to the pay to play or tapping type games we have now, but something as fleshed out as the main Sims series. Multi players can have that.

FWIW I am kind of sorry I feel that way, as I'm normally a "more options is always better" type of person, but I do see the complications and limitations of it.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I would love to play Sims online!
    I’m all for an online game, but I’d also like single player (accidentally chose the wrong one).
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    edited February 2020
    Don't even, EA.

I would not enjoy it being online. Most online developers port more DLC into the online portion and nothing for singl-player. I don't want that to happen to one of my favorite games.
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • RiveniaSimsRiveniaSims Posts: 54 Member
    I would be happy with an option to play online as long as I can still play single player.
    I'm torn, because I wouldn't mind an option for online. It would be fun to be able to make sims that could interact with my sister's sims, but I don't know... I also feel like the game just doesn't need it.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited February 2020
    There's an old saying--You live and you learn; or in EA's case, "Well, we see how badly this went the last time, so let's try again!". Part of the reason TS4 is so stripped down is that after Sim City (2013) bombed, it was completely retooled, while still being based on the same watered-down engine.

Part of the reason I got into The Sims 3 (while it was already well into TS4's lifetime in 2017, TS4 was not having the big sales it seems to enjoy now) and later TS4 was the online-always connection, real-time game clock, and constant micro-transactions of Sims Freeplay. that led me to grow tired of it.

The other problem I have with it being online is the servers. Once the Sims 5 is outside of its lifecycle, they will obviously be taken down. Thus, the game, if dependent on an online connection, would be useless.

I see that really, there is no need to have an online component aside from the gallery. I just don't see why I should interact with actual people in a game that simulates real life. That just seems weird. Leave online play to the smartphone versions of the game.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    People talk a lot about how they'd love the social aspect to it, but I just don't see the point to it. There are so many games that you can play with other people and your friends, where you can be social, and I just don't see how it would be enjoyable in TS. But my views are my views.

I'm all for options too, but when it comes to a potential multiplayer feature, I feel that most of their focus would be on that aspect of the game and I'd really rather it not be. In my opinion, a multiplayer option just doesn't belong in The Sims.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    The gallery is fine, but otherwise, keep the Sims single-player.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I agree that multiplayer or online needs to be separate in some way. I'm not immediately on the market for a new basegame though if at all.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    edited February 2020
    Sims 4 was apparently gonna be online, but it didn't work and now we have this limited engine that apparently makes it difficult to program.

Do we need a part 2 of this error?
    EMrBkJP.png
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    They're just asking for viruses & hacks.
    NO THANK YOU!
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Against it cause single player won t fare as good.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited February 2020
    I know that if EA were to introduce a concurrent online feature the devs would spend so much time there, that other features would be stripped to nothing. There would be many limitations online play would impose. Also when the game falls out of support in the future, the game would become unplayable because it has lost the online feature. Keep it offline and go all out on in game content.

A reasonable suggestion for online play is to have friends' sims visit your house but they show up as an NPC and does not have a concurrent play aspect. I don't know how feasible this is, but this could be nice as long as it doesn't limit the game in other ways.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    They're just asking for viruses & hacks.
    NO THANK YOU!

@SERVERFRA Good point! I know this creates issues with mods and hacks because online play requires everyone to be on a vanilla game and on the same software version. Modded games will be ineligible to participate online and we are going to have to support the mods to go policing the online servers. That is not a reasonable use of resources.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    If it will work like the sims Mobile, then no.
    • Mods and CC will not be allowed or not work online.
    • Cheats will most likely be removed, especially if you can buy money or items like you can in the sims Mobile.
    • They will probably not make the game open world and not have a color wheel because those things will make it more difficult for the game to run well online.
    • The game will most likely be even more restricted to prevent players from using packs that they have not purchased.
    • The game will have both simulation lag and network lag.

• ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    Ugh! I really don't want it. It is not how the game was originally conceived. Actually, am pretty surprised, Sims 5 is being developed.
    Paralives is rumored to be released in 2021 and I am impressed with it but it still will not be able to compete with the Sims for lack of the financial backing of EA games.
  • lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Even though I think playing The Sims online would be cool, I think the singleplayer part of the game could end up receiving less focus. Also they could end up not including some features that we miss such as create-a-style/color wheel and open worlds again to focus on the online aspect, so I prefer if it is singleplayer only.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited February 2020
    I'm not even going to bother if it's online. I already barely do with 4 as it is :D
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I'll stay with 4. Since I won't have to deal with updates that constantly break everything, I can mod it to the moon. I've seen many I would like to have but dealing with the breakage is too much.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Online sims would be a disaster, I don't want ANY resources to be used on the plum useless online part. Just LISTEN ea.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • BradyGalaxyBradyGalaxy Posts: 306 Member
    Not interested, I'd rather play Sims 4 on my own. Plus, there would be extreme limitations I bet. Plus, The Sims Team right now is struggling to give users what they want, think about how much stuff will be missing if they add a whole online portion to the game.
    Proud simmer
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    No thanks. I really wish they'd just focus on making the best life simulator they can, rather than the online thing. Online doesn't work for every type of game, and they need to realize that before they do to the Sims what they did to SimCity.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    Same as what others have said, no MP and put the time and resources into making a great SP game.
  • RamiSamiiRamiSamii Posts: 222 Member
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around how they would do it, tbh. I am open (a tiny bit) to it at the moment, but it's hard to really say with having only just recently having this news drop.
    37mfj.png