Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fire mechanics need rethinking

I'm quite annoyed right now. My couple went to the Spice Festival. A fire started on the lot it zones you into. So my sims can do NOTHING. Despite both being vampires with the vampiric entrance ability they are unable to access the house to put out the fire. They have no option to talk to the owner to gain access because the only option is 'fire!'
They can't just ignore it because they cant busk or anything else I wanted them to do. I can't even have them leave the festival because everything is greyed out during a fire.

cIa0WNa.png

So I'm sitting here unable to play. The ability to enter on fire lots to extinguish them would be helpful.

Comments

• CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    I've been so irate with fires lately (I have a campfire that keeps lighting the entire backyard on fire. How? Why?). What is the point of the fire alarms? We need firemen badly.
  • OriginalNameOriginalName Posts: 347 Member
    I've been so irate with fires lately (I have a campfire that keeps lighting the entire backyard on fire. How? Why?). What is the point of the fire alarms? We need firemen badly.

Yeah, campfires annoyed me so much I installed "Campfire - No Fire " off of the Mod The Sims site. House fires annoy me too the point were I wont even let my sims cook until the reach level 5 in cooking. It's just garden salads and watching the cooking channel until that happens. Great idea on removing the fire department :|
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    To clarify, I couldn't care less about the frequency of fires. I purposefully don't use fire alarms or sprinkler systems any more because I want some drama. This was an npc house and I could do nothing about it, which for twenty plum minutes meant I was locked out of playing my game.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    They implemented fires, they gave us fire alarms...but without a fire department, the fire alarms are basically useless. They're just a decoration that, if you have at least one other sim in the house, MIGHT get that other sim to come and help. Yay? No. Not "Yay." Bad. Bad EA. No treats.

Having firefighters would have definitely saved the day for you in that scenario. Then, you could have had one of your sims call the fire department and get that fire put out, simple as that. Fire out, everything's fine, you get to continue the festivities in peace.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    In my area, even small backwoods "Unincorporated Communites" have pretty decent fire departments. Yet, in The Sims 4, even large cities seem to be lacking them.

I really don't get what has been a base game dynamic in pretty much every version of The Sims series is so far lacking in TS4. It would have been a great addition to Get to Work to have both firefighters (and firefighting as a career), NPC police, and burglars. EA still has a chance, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    They implemented fires, they gave us fire alarms...but without a fire department, the fire alarms are basically useless. They're just a decoration that, if you have at least one other sim in the house, MIGHT get that other sim to come and help. Yay? No. Not "Yay." Bad. Bad EA. No treats.

Having firefighters would have definitely saved the day for you in that scenario. Then, you could have had one of your sims call the fire department and get that fire put out, simple as that. Fire out, everything's fine, you get to continue the festivities in peace.

Sounds like that would be a perfect solution. What happened is that the woman and child who lived there stood outside panicking. The woman made no attempt to put out the fire. I couldn't ask her permission to enter the house. The child stood in one spot outside until the flames spread in that direction so he died. Why didn't the adult at least put out the fire herself?