Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tiny homes.....tiny lots?

Love the idea of tiny homes but where are you supposed to put them? I think a new world was in order here to make use of them. I don't want to put a tiny home on a big lot considering that empty lots are few and far between to begin with. Gone are the days when you could place your own lot on a map. I really miss that. I am becoming increasingly disappointed with the packs and expansions that have come out for sims 4. They just seem so limited.

Comments

• surlybadgersurlybadger Posts: 283 Member
    I was thinking the same thing. I love the idea but most lots feel too large for them and it would have been nice if we couldn't/wouldn't get new plots that the existing ones could be shrunk down when the new lot type was created. Or something to make it feel like there isn't just huge space left. Because I love this stuff pack and love these tiny homes everyone is making!
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    edited January 2020
    Edit, Removing my original comment, as I discovered I was incorrect about placing tiny homes. But I agree with OP we could use a lot more lots to build on.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    We have tiny lots, I don't understand why you think we don't.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    With the tiny homes, I wouldn't mind having a few 10x15 or 20x10 lots. Especially with the micro homes, having 300 tiles to fill up feels like a lot of outdoors space when you're not aiming for a massive garden or pool area.
    On the other hand, the empty space is giving me more room to practice landscaping ;)
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    We have tiny lots, I don't understand why you think we don't.

Yes, we do, but it would be nice to have more.

I also found it odd that when you open Sims 4 after purchasing tiny homes you are asked if you want to place a tiny lot. I said yes, went to my map and picked a tiny lot only to get a error telling me the lot was too small! I was completely confused, and a bit upset, until I realized that I can use the tiny lots, just not with the lot that came included with tiny homes... I find it odd, but not unexpected from the team that gives us great stuff, but never quite gets it right.

That aside, I like the build items, I feel the CAS stuff is okay, wish we got some male Jeans instead. The only jeans in my game that I like are CC, and I own all the packs. The tiny handful of jeans from the packs are not to my taste. I do like the pants from the Vampire pack, wish we could get male Jeans with the same fit.

Off subject, but one thing that I can say is that I am slowly getting back into the Sims, up until DU I would get bored quickly with each new pack, but DU has kept me interested for a few weeks now. Roommates are interesting, except for that whole pulling food out of thin air. I had to hire a Butler to dispose of it. I hope this gets toned down a bit.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'd say 80% of the lots we have are tiny lots rarely do we actually get a large lot I need more 60x60 not more small lots. But if your running out of lots and obviously we cant make our own I can see this being a issue CAW would solve all these issues.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Oh the days we could throw in new lots, any size we wanted.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    I would love a few new, completely empty worlds - a bit like Newcrest if we really have to have lot placements and sizes given to us. And to battle the argument that it would slow the game down - just tell people that if they don't want a slow game, to not put lots on them!?
    I think if we could have a few new, bigger worlds, that feel like towns, with some larger lot areas, and some areas with lots of really small lots - like a tiny home community, it would give us variety and choice, and make it feel much better. It feels so weird to me now to place on tiny home on normal lot sizes. There are a few really small lot sizes, but they mostly seem to be on roads, or next to bigger lots and it just feels a bit weird to me to have a tiny home, on it's own next to larger sized houses.

But yes, even a new world with little tiny home sized lots would be fab!
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited January 2020
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I'd say 80% of the lots we have are tiny lots rarely do we actually get a large lot I need more 60x60 not more small lots. But if your running out of lots and obviously we cant make our own I can see this being a issue CAW would solve all these issues.

I agree as you are more to change plans sooner than later and some may not want to involve other neighborhoods. For me to alter any neighborhood layout and also have the ability to go other neighborhoods is an bonus so for me creativity does take an big hit. :( You must stick with what EA/Maxis gives you so where is the choice in that? for me there is no choices.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    I also found it odd that when you open Sims 4 after purchasing tiny homes you are asked if you want to place a tiny lot. I said yes, went to my map and picked a tiny lot only to get a error telling me the lot was too small! I was completely confused, and a bit upset, until I realized that I can use the tiny lots, just not with the lot that came included with tiny homes... I find it odd, but not unexpected from the team that gives us great stuff, but never quite gets it right.

I just installed the pack, got the option but didn't choose that lot at that time. Is it available on gallery? I did a quick search but didn't see it.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Bluegayle wrote: »

I just installed the pack, got the option but didn't choose that lot at that time. Is it available on gallery? I did a quick search but didn't see it.

It should be in your library the way the other Maxis-made prebuilt lots (that aren't in the world) are.

The house on the lot is tiny, but it was built on a larger lot (and has some terrain editing, iirc). Maybe it's the terrain that doesn't allow it placing on a smaller lot but I thought that was still possible, you just would have to find a placement that doesn't cut off the house, just landscaping.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    Thanks @darrenfroggy I was ingame and probably needed to exit and restart for it to show. I will go back in a bit and look for it. :)
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    The base should update new Tiny lots to add to the game.
    With the tiny homes, I wouldn't mind having a few 10x15 or 20x10 lots. Especially with the micro homes, having 300 tiles to fill up feels like a lot of outdoors space when you're not aiming for a massive garden or pool area.
    On the other hand, the empty space is giving me more room to practice landscaping ;)

I would never use a lot this small. I'd make it a bus stop.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,998 Member
    Don't we already have 20x10 in Newcrest? Those are too small, bus stop, taxi stand, entry for the subway about all they're good for. Mabye a generic lot to have a garden/orchard in.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I usually never go bigger than 30x20; I have never had the need for a bigger lot; besides the idea of my Sim taking 3 hours to go to the kitchen from the bedroom is a bit hilarious.

Tiny living is great; I doubt I will live in a house bigger than 100 squares much anymore.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'd like a new empty world or new worlds with lots of different sizes. I'd make use of tiny lots as well as others. My favorites are probably the medium-sized lots though such as 40 x 30 and 30 x 20.

I have used up all of the tiny lots so far. I have a park, a graveyard, a cafe and a small chapel. I also still have a tiny home that I built during the challenge.

Honestly, I got that pack more for the CAS/BB that I am already using in various households. I don't know how many tiny houses I'll actually put in, but I use the stuff, so I'm happy.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
    edited March 2020
    I usually never go bigger than 30x20; I have never had the need for a bigger lot; besides the idea of my Sim taking 3 hours to go to the kitchen from the bedroom is a bit hilarious.

Tiny living is great; I doubt I will live in a house bigger than 100 squares much anymore.

I can't take screenshots in houses that small. Everything is too crowded. Just because you have a large lot doesn't mean you have to make a super large house. But with a too small lot, you're stuck with it.
    edited March 2020

I can't take screenshots in houses that small. Everything is too crowded. Just because you have a large lot doesn't mean you have to make a super large house. But with a too small lot, you're stuck with it.

Oh Alejandra just moved into the biggest lot in Shady Sands (Strangerville) and tore the place down to build a Tier 2 mini home on it. She bought it for the view, not because she needed the space. BIIG pool coming up. And an orchard probably.
    As for large houses tho, I have a problem with them IRL too... like you go on tour in a mansion or something and like "Here was the Baron's 9th Sitting Room. He sat here every second Thursday of every third month. But he forced the maid to dust it twice a day!"

The biggest house in Sims 4 I ever had I still had to furnish deliberately unpractical to actually fill up and fill with things like "Here's the room that only has the T-Rex skull in it just to fill it with something".

I hear you! I have some sims (evicted the prior occupants) in the largest house in Glimmerbrook and taking screenshots is an utter bear. The place is way too cramped. Hate to think of what those PC tiny houses would be like for that. I build my houses to meet the needs of the occupants, generally basing them on RL prototypes.

I hear you! I have some sims (evicted the prior occupants) in the largest house in Glimmerbrook and taking screenshots is an utter bear. The place is way too cramped. Hate to think of what those PC tiny houses would be like for that. I build my houses to meet the needs of the occupants, generally basing them on RL prototypes.

The thing is... the need differs.
    As I said above I wouldn't know what to do with more than four rooms IRL.
    And screenshots? I take them just fine. Of course i am not trying to be artistic, I am just wanting to remember story progress.

(Btw, the Glimmerbrook style houses, just like the Victorian houses in general, do have very small rooms IRL too, since heating was expensive and you probably only heated the rooms you intended to use that day. Which is why a medium sized Victorian house probably had two or more small sitting rooms, not one big livingroom, for example).

So small houses for small needs, bigger ones for greater needs. Add kids and the need explodes. I shoot photos for story telling, so setup matters a lot.

Baisc guide for medium Vickys: rooms about 15x15 or 18x18 (5 or 6 quares respectively); 4 rooms that size on first floor, 2nd floor 1-2 that size, remaining space taken up by smaller rooms and connecting passageways. Many also had a pantry connecting kitchen and dining room, bathrooms (for bathing) were increasingly common. Depending on economic status water closets were also beng introduced in place of the outdoors 'necessary'. Your observations on heating are true through around 1840 or so. The Victorian era saw the introduction of (as we would know them): indoor plumbing, central heating, packaged food, and interior lighting. Those folks were more modern than we give them credit for. They also had a keen eye for beauty and loved indoor plants.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited March 2020
    I live in a place where people mostly build up, not out. It would be great if TS4 finally released a world that catered to that demographic with small, attached lots.

EA keeps releasing the same general types of worlds over and over again. Worlds where everyone has plenty of room to build a huge house on a huge lot and no one has to share a property line with their lousy neighbors. It's boring!

If the TS4 team is all out of ideas, they should take a look at the player-created worlds for TS3. It's a treasure trove of inspiration. The variety there is astounding.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    moyna wrote: »
    Love the idea of tiny homes but where are you supposed to put them?

I put the first and so far only tiny home at the empty lot at Glimmerbrook, which was only a kind of step stone to the portal to the magic world.

edited March 2020
    If you like small houses, you can build four tiny houses on a big lot, it would be like a cul de sac. I don't build super big castles that take up the whole lot. I like doing things around the house with trees and plants, pools, gazebos, etc. Can't do that with tiny lots.