Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UPDATE 9-2-20 Has your Sims 3 game been affected by the recent pixilation issues?

Comments

• budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    I was wondering if somebody with reshade can show me some pictures of the gradient sky with reshade on? I notice the lack of proper blending plenty when its in the sky and I wonder if reshade helps with that at all?
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    My game has been affected and I'm upset
    @budewarmin Sorry I don’t have pics, maybe tomorrow I’ll have time but Reshade makes the sky look GORGEOUS.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    edited February 2020
    My game has been affected but it doesn't bother me
    So I have a telephone date with Mircosoft again this morning about all this...

The first time I called the guy was having me do a System Restore point (since I couldn't remove the complete 1903 update itself, and keep in mind he didn't speak English well and had a heavy accent. :unamused: ) and I'm like TRYING to tell him a SR won't do any good as I don't have a point saved BEFORE the security update that happened back in December!!! :confounded: (The oldest one that was saved was Feb 3rd, 2020. :neutral: )

Needless to say, that didn't work. (SHOCKER!) So they're bumping me up to higher tech support.

No worries, even if there is no fix, I'm getting the word out about it and hopefully that'll prompt them to do something.

I DID however discover the exact culprit for these graphics issues we are having. At least, I'm pretty sure it's the culprit. It was the Nvidia Display update 26.21.14.3200 which was installed via a 1903 security update back when...gee I wonder...December 9th 2019! Around the time the problem began for so many of us!
    Proof from my computer here:
    Problem-update.png
    ^It borked our graphics drivers because it's part of the windows security update, so even if you try to roll back your driver, if this update is on your computer, which it will be, rolling back won't matter. Just like how updating your current driver doesn't matter as @ZeeGee has found. This is INDEED...a Windows interference!

Today I will be asking Microsoft if there is a way to remove that portion of the security update from my computer. Highly doubtful at this point, but it's worth asking. (They're able to access your computer and do things with it so who knows...)
    In fact I read online that folks with AMD graphics drivers noticed this Nvidia Driver update on their computer (after the update) and they were like, "Whaaaat? Why!? We don't have that kind of graphics card!" Doesn't that seem sketchy to you? 🤨 I will for sure bring that to their attention as well.

I'm putting up a stink about it folks! The squeaky wheel gets the grease, right!? How many of you are doing it too? ;)
    Post edited by emorrill on
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
    So Microsoft didn't call me back at 11. I was like, "Figures." :unamused: So I decided to head out and run my errands for the day.

They called me back while I was in the middle of grocery shopping... 🤦‍♀️ At 12:50.

I told the guy I was at my computer at 11 and waited a good 20 minutes for them to call and he was like, "No we meant we'll call you between 11 and 1."
    Then I thought, "Well the other person could've told me that!" :neutral:
    So I set up an appointment with him to chat between 10am - 12pm tomorrow.

On the bright side, they are actually calling me back (twice now) so...maybe that means they kinda care??
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    edited February 2020
    My game has not been affected
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrPp8ryL70s&feature=youtu.be
    Is this part of the graphics issue, a computer issue or CC issue, look at the bottom
    of the screen toward the knight's armor shoes.His feet keep shaking, even though the
    game was paused.

Edit: Why is my video so small? :o
    Mu27QN5.png
    Also I noticed that it looks like I'm not on the 1909 version of windows...
    Should I update to it?
    @GraceyManor I can't even view your video...It's telling me it's private. :confused: But I'm trying to look at it on my phone so that could be the reason. I'll get on my desktop and check soon here.

I'm not on 1909 either, been pushing it back until Microsoft helps me. IF they can. ZeeGee said 1909 made her game look no better, actually I think worse, so that's another reason I've been avoiding it. I personally wouldn't update it until you HAVE to.

I'll let you all know how it goes with Microsoft today.
    @emorrill Girl, you are a rock star! I haven’t gotten near as far as you. I keep getting put on terminal hold. I’ll have to pick a day when I have nothing else to do and can sit and wait all day. Let’s squeak them wheels!

Anyway, you have gotten so much information and at least now we understand what’s going on. Even tho there’s not a fix yet. Keep us posted and I’ll try again tomorrow to get through. What would be a good fix is enabling a ‘restore to default’ like they used to have. Though that wouldn’t work for people who have to keep their puters on the internet.
    @GraceyManor Yes I installed 1909 hoping for a fix and it made it worse. So I uninstalled it, did a system restore and, for now, have disabled internet on my desktop it can’t reinstall. I’m keeping my laptop online so I’ll know when they (hopefully) fix it.
    @GraceyManor Also I can’t see the video either, but usually when feet shake it’s the result of a slider making them too big or too small.

Sorry, I’m all over the place today, got a lot going on but wanted to give Emily a high five! Or 👊 <3
    @ZeeGee Thanks girl. :kissing_heart: It's a bit of a hassle, but at least it's getting the word out.

The guy that called me today was nice and rolled back my driver for me, even though I told him it probably wouldn't change anything because others have tried that and even updating the driver doesn't work. No surprise I was right...

He then asked if would uninstall and reinstall the game as that might help, I'm like, "No...and it won't. Like I said, others are having this issue and it all happened AFTER a 1903 security update!" :angry:

Then he advised me to contact EA Tech support as they might be able to have a solution and I'm like, "Dude, they don't really offer tech support for this game anymore...Like I said this is a WINDOWS issue!"

It's like he was giving me the run around, like the problem couldn't possibly be Microsoft's fault. :unamused: He told me that he'd call tomorrow and see about resetting (or was it debugging? I can't understand these folks sometimes) the OS to see if that helps. I'm willing to give it a try, but I have really lost all hope at this point. :(

***Funny thing is, when he rolled back my driver is still showed the driver version as 26.21.14.3200 🤔 The same version that came with the awful security update (or that the update updated the driver to that version). Could this mean it's also an Nvidia issue? I showed him that and that's where he felt a little stumped and offered to reset/debug the OS on my computer as the next option.***
    ^If any of you computer techie folks would like to enlighten me on this, please do.

I'll continue to keep y'all updated next I hear from Microsoft.
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @GraceyManor Also I can’t see the video either, but usually when feet shake it’s the result of a slider making them too big or too small.

Sorry, I’m all over the place today, got a lot going on but wanted to give Emily a high five! Or 👊 <3
    Weird I don’t use sliders don’t even know what they are xD
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member

If the shoes are custom content the person who made them might have used sliders. I suspect the sliders they used probably would be packed into the shoes but I'm not sure of how it would be done. You know lots more about making CC then I do.
    Karritz wrote: »

If the shoes are custom content the person who made them might have used sliders. I suspect the sliders they used probably would be packed into the shoes but I'm not sure of how it would be done. You know lots more about making CC then I do.

I know nothing about making cc.
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    budewarmin wrote: »
    I was wondering if somebody with reshade can show me some pictures of the gradient sky with reshade on? I notice the lack of proper blending plenty when its in the sky and I wonder if reshade helps with that at all?
    Here are a few examples from my game:

Before:
    c4KyqLL.png

After:
    q8eNHIT.png

Before:
    nQM1sX2.png

After:
    mFGb4eH.png

Before:
    FGBsXr1.png

After:
    5rg35Ti.jpg

At earlier hours when the gradient is less huge, it looks nearly perfect. At later hours, the individual shades are still visible but all the hard edges are blurred.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    edited February 2020
    Hi! I come with great news for anyone who, like me, can't get ReShade itself to work. This also requires you have an Nvidia graphics card. :smile:

First off, go into your settings in Nvidia GeForce Experience and enable experimental features and in-game overlay. This will allow you to use Nvidia Freestyle. I've talked about Freestyle before, but as a refresher: It's an Nvidia function that can add various shaders and overlays and such to games and you can mix and match different features and have up to 3 different filters you can switch between. So it's pretty useful.

Tonight, I learned that Nvidia Freestyle supports the usage of ReShade Shaders - including Deband! And it is extremely easy to get this working.

Step 1: Download the Freestyle-friendly ReShade shaders master folder from Crosire on Github:
    https://github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders/tree/nvidia

Step 2: Extract the folder and grab the shaders you want. Personally, I just took all of them. :lol: Why not. :tongue:

Step 3: Navigate to Program Files/NVIDIA Corporation/Ansel. Put the shaders you want in there. If you don't have an Ansel folder, you can just create one and it should be fine.

Step 4: Once in-game, open the Freestyle menu with Alt+F3. From there, Click the 1 to create a style. Under the Add Filter drop down menu should be all the filters/shaders you put in and the default Freestyle ones. Activate whichever ones you want, tweak their settings individually, and ta-dippity-da

You go from this abomination:
    MdhTDRQ.png

To this:
    DKjWAUR.png

Also, I was only able to capture the effects using the Windows screen capture. Print screen and Nvidia don't seem to display the ReShade filters in screenshots. To take a screencap with Windows, press Windows+Shift+S, at the top of your screen will be some options of how to capture it. I use the window option and then click my game window. Make sure to click the notification when it comes up so you can save the screenshot. :smiley:

PS: If the screenshots aren't super clear on the forums, copy image location and open in another tab to see them in true size.
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    Mr. Fridge also looking much better with debanding and my various other filters enabled.

No filter:
    I7fdMgC.png

Filters:
    JaCjop7.png
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    Karritz wrote: »

I know nothing about making cc.

Oh well - I don't either. I just know sometimes when sliders are used you have to download them but I don't know if sometimes they might be included in the package.
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    @Emily4331 Great info and that is such awesome news!!! I'm glad you get to enjoy in all the shader fun now. :smiley:
    9d9hOnJ.png
    @Emily4331 Wow! :open_mouth: Thank you for sharing! :star:

I just wish that with ReShade or Freestyle you could simply press the C button, like we always do to capture screenshots in game, and the effects from those would show up in the pictures. *sigh* :pensive:
  • GardeningSimmerGardeningSimmer Posts: 41 Member
    Personally my game hasn't been affected. I am thinking if it is more of a graphical glitch that came from the windows update as it doesn't happen to everyone. It might be how the graphics card, game and windows update are all working together maybe?

Often the more older a game gets, the more ruined it can be by Windows updates.. for example The Sims 1 is very hard to run now with a lot of graphics glitches! I do hope Windows is able to fix the glitch but they might not be, as maybe the portion of the update that is causing this is required now etc. Definitely try EA support! I know the game is old but they are making a MAC version and the Gurus care about the games a lot, I am sure if you message one linking them the thread they will reply!
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    @Emily4331 omg thankyou so much!!! I just got sims 3 and thought this weird pixelation going on was normal. I'm downloading this folder as I type this!! 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    @Emily4331 Thank you for that alternative.

@emorrill Any news? Did they call you back?
    @ZeeGee Nope...they didn't call me back. :pensive: Made an appointment time with them and everything. *sigh*

I might have to call them again, but I think at this rate they're probably like, "We know it's our problem, but there's nothing we can do to help her..."

I would totally go with Reshade if it didn't require me to play in Windowed mode to take pics that aren't dark. Forgive me for being picky, but I HATE windowed mode! The game looks even worse in that mode...at least with my monitor. :confused:
    I hate that I can't fix this...and that there is no fix to it. :cry:

Guess I just have to deal. I pray that with the more and more updates coming it doesn't make things worse and hopefully there'll be a fix in one of them. 🤞
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited February 2020
    I need some new glasses, so I guess I should be happy that that my current vision smooths everything out. Sometime, blurry vision is an advantage :lol: . It's like inbuilt SMAA.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top