Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

we need a gameplay changer, like, a big one.

gameplay is to simple and overall gets repetitive, i'd love to see a patch that adds 1 or 2 BIG worlds but also adds in a big list of traits for both sims and lots, all having a range of effects that impact game-play quite large, for example a lot trait that has disco fever that increases the sims on the lots autonomy of dancing and disco napping or a sim trait called "pessimist" who actually gets uncomfortable getting happy and "sadness" actually positively impacts said sim and while sad gives an ability to "ruin sims day" by talking the sim target into a 30% chance of making them receive a +3 sadness mood-let (lower chance if the target has cheerful), we also need to fix up older traits like cheerful that makes you uncomfortable +3 if the same manages to gain a sad or bored mood.

im not very creative but the mood system is so unimpactful on gameplay you can mostly ignore it, and the traits that focus on moods are practically wasted due to how bad they are, we need to teak mood-lets and traits to REALLY impact gameplay, and the mood focused traits impacting how a sim interacts with a specific emotion (like the above sadness becomes a positive while happiness becomes a negative with a specific trait) could really change gameplay especially if they all get a unique ability or 2 like disco nap, as Carl shows is seriously underrated because it HAS a unique gameplay impact while also having a passive effect making the trait stand out as a sims personality.

Comments

• Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    edited January 2020
    @davidsara I LOVE your idea of a pessimist trait! That is the kind of creativity and impact traits in the game should have. I, like you and many other simmers, agree that the sims themselves need a huge personality overhaul. The emotion system largely overshadows the already weak traits, leaving every sim to feel kind of same-y in how they react to things happening both to them and around them. Not to mention the emotions themselves are way too easily manipulated and influenced by everything from tea to showers to jungle berries etc, etc. And personally, it’s become quite bothersome when new gameplay items added in packs only serve to further influence emotions and nothing else. The focus needs to be shifted to traits to make the sims more unique and interesting.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    i disagree i like the way the sims4 is
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I agree @Barbie430! So many “new gameplay” objects simply stand to manipulate emotions. Tea, ice cream, bar drinks, jewels from that Thanos hat, potions, etc. Why add all these objects when playing Sims on any emotion is the easiest thing ever? Other than not wanting to WooHoo when sad (which all you have to do is have the other Sim ask instead) emotions have really no impact. Most of the time I don’t even notice them.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Well I hope you guys are taking the new survey that is out. They are asking for feedback on how to make it better. Based on some of the questions, they understand they have issues.
  • davidsaradavidsara Posts: 117 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Well I hope you guys are taking the new survey that is out. They are asking for feedback on how to make it better. Based on some of the questions, they understand they have issues.

dont worry i have and i even mentioned this exact problem in the "ways to improve making the sim you want" part :)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    There is a second survey out there that comes via email. Some questions are the same, but some are new, including asking what we think of things and why. I got the email shortly after doing the survey available by link or the game, so maybe that's the trigger.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    There is a second survey out there that comes via email. Some questions are the same, but some are new, including asking what we think of things and why. I got the email shortly after doing the survey available by link or the game, so maybe that's the trigger.

Really??!!!! I couldn't find anything in my email...
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Would be nice.
  • FearlessUntamedFearlessUntamed Posts: 22 Member
    Same! I play when there's a new EP or kit that looks interesting but after I'm done with the new options/gameplay, I become bored. I just wish each EP were more "connected" to each other like the Sims 3.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

I wonder how they determine which consumers get a mail-in survey?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    No idea. I ignored the first email as I thought it was just referring to the one we know about & I'd already done. Then a reminder came, got checked and the discovery made. Have also been busy on the bug report side so maybe that's a part of the selection.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Cynna wrote: »

I wonder how they determine which consumers get a mail-in survey?

Me too because I have yet to receive one in the mail.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Heh, I got a few email ones that ended as soon as I said my age. That was awhile ago -- I wonder if they still think old simmers have nothing to add to the conversation.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    A patch where sims actually have personality would be a game changer
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    Heh, I got a few email ones that ended as soon as I said my age. That was awhile ago -- I wonder if they still think old simmers have nothing to add to the conversation.
    That’s.... (sorry, can’t find a polite word)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member

I've only ever had one sent to me and the same thing happened to me.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
    TS1299 wrote: »
    A patch where sims actually have personality would be a game changer

indeed, part of why i end up going back to sims 3 is due to just how much more active the world feels especially when i tweak the files and such to run a whole bunch better, remove horses (seriously their ai is abysmal) and run it so 8 active full lots run at a time, with sims going about their days, all being watchable if i like and how personalities impact how they interact with the world its just so hard to get so deep into sims 4 when sims 3 does alot of things better, even if the graphics style was meh.

my dream sims is sims 4 graphic style, sims 3 gameplay with sims 2 plus 3's personality and needs, wants, characteristic system.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member

And that, right there, shows the folly of modern media's obsession with "Magical Demographics," as I call them. By that, I mean the obsession with trying too hard to capture the attention of people who dwell within a specific age and gender category, with no care or thought put into the actual quality of the content on offer or the people outside of that age and gender category who are attracted to a piece of media along with or instead of the "Magical Demographic." Not every piece of media will hit its intended target audience, nor should any piece of media that already has a strong and supportive following be heavily altered to try to bring in a new audience aside from the occasional hard reboot (like, say, ending the 90's television-based DCAU and creating a straight-to-video-release-based DCAU with stories geared at older viewers) or spin-off property (like continuing with the regular Dragon Warrior RPG's, but making the Dragon Warrior Monsters games for younger kids).

If they really wanted to make TS4 a clear break and softer reboot of the franchise, then they should have had the guts to call it something like The Sims Lite or The Sims: Rebirth or just taken the same route as Sonic '06 and simply called it The Sims. I mean, when Tecmo's U.S. branch saw just how different Monster Farm 5 was from the other four entries in the series in terms of gameplay, they gave it the name Monster Rancher Evo in the English-speaking markets in order to attempt to distance it from the other mainline games and minimize the damage to both the critical reception of the title itself and the reputation of the IP as a whole. It didn't work so well, since it was after the internet was in practically every gamer's home and fanbases talk...but, at least they tried. I think this tactic would have worked even better with TS4, because they could have renamed the game well before release, when they knew that it would be so much weaker than previous entries, marketed it as a sort of "My First Sims Game" for tweens and teens, and promised a true The Sims 4 at a later date. Tecmo understood the value of their core Monster Rancher fanbase and tried to market the fifth game in such a way that it wouldn't sour the franchise's reputation with fans, EA decided to abandon their core Sims fanbase and go running after a new demographic in a way that has damaged the reputation of the franchise with fans and shown just how little respect they have for that new demographic they're running after with how weak much of the game's content actually is.

Media companies need to stop obsessing over these "Magical Demographics" and just concentrate on making good, quality content in a variety of different genres. Good content attracts customers, period, regardless of age or gender. Obsessing over and pandering to "Magical Demographics" just creates weaker, shallower media across the board and leaves us all poorer for it.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

And that, right there, shows the folly of modern media's obsession with "Magical Demographics," as I call them. By that, I mean the obsession with trying too hard to capture the attention of people who dwell within a specific age and gender category, with no care or thought put into the actual quality of the content on offer or the people outside of that age and gender category who are attracted to a piece of media along with or instead of the "Magical Demographic." Not every piece of media will hit its intended target audience, nor should any piece of media that already has a strong and supportive following be heavily altered to try to bring in a new audience aside from the occasional hard reboot (like, say, ending the 90's television-based DCAU and creating a straight-to-video-release-based DCAU with stories geared at older viewers) or spin-off property (like continuing with the regular Dragon Warrior RPG's, but making the Dragon Warrior Monsters games for younger kids).

If they really wanted to make TS4 a clear break and softer reboot of the franchise, then they should have had the guts to call it something like The Sims Lite or The Sims: Rebirth or just taken the same route as Sonic '06 and simply called it The Sims. I mean, when Tecmo's U.S. branch saw just how different Monster Farm 5 was from the other four entries in the series in terms of gameplay, they gave it the name Monster Rancher Evo in the English-speaking markets in order to attempt to distance it from the other mainline games and minimize the damage to both the critical reception of the title itself and the reputation of the IP as a whole. It didn't work so well, since it was after the internet was in practically every gamer's home and fanbases talk...but, at least they tried. I think this tactic would have worked even better with TS4, because they could have renamed the game well before release, when they knew that it would be so much weaker than previous entries, marketed it as a sort of "My First Sims Game" for tweens and teens, and promised a true The Sims 4 at a later date. Tecmo understood the value of their core Monster Rancher fanbase and tried to market the fifth game in such a way that it wouldn't sour the franchise's reputation with fans, EA decided to abandon their core Sims fanbase and go running after a new demographic in a way that has damaged the reputation of the franchise with fans and shown just how little respect they have for that new demographic they're running after with how weak much of the game's content actually is.

Media companies need to stop obsessing over these "Magical Demographics" and just concentrate on making good, quality content in a variety of different genres. Good content attracts customers, period, regardless of age or gender. Obsessing over and pandering to "Magical Demographics" just creates weaker, shallower media across the board and leaves us all poorer for it.

I said almost the same thing in another thread. Though, not as eloquently and not from such a depth of knowledge of the industry. I feel in my bones everything that you've explained here. EA's main base of support over the last twenty years doesn't matter to them anymore.

I almost feel sad for the upcoming generations of gamers. Unless they purposely go looking, they'll never know how deep and involving games used to be. The biggest gaming companies have almost unanimously dropped that kind of development because it's much easier to do less and charge more.

Thank goodness for Indie developers. If not for them, there would be no place for gamers -- gamers who appreciate the passion and commitment of the past -- to turn. Hopefully, history doesn't repeat itself and that indie developers remain as independent as possible. Hopefully, gamers will become more discriminating and support those developers, rather than the companies who are only in the industry for maximum profits/minimum investment. Otherwise, the cycle will repeat.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    hope they are considering an emotional and sim trait overhaul, i keep checking in to the forums to see if any announcements have been revealed
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Sims 4 needs a complete overhaul for sims personalities. Period. They have none.
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Sims 4 needs a complete overhaul for sims personalities. Period. They have none.

harsh but so true, mood system replacing a the old trait system was a huge mistake, combined they'd probably have made one hell of a strong system
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    davidsara wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »

harsh but so true, mood system replacing a the old trait system was a huge mistake, combined they'd probably have made one hell of a strong system

the trait system of 3 replacing the old personality point system of 1 and 2 was a HUGE mistake.

The sims3 moodlet system was a mistake and the beginning of the downfall and disenchantment with the series that we see here on the boards.
  • HyawehHyaweh Posts: 36 Member
    I hope that the suveys we answered would be used to make sims 4 evolved. If they do that, it will become a wonderful game. Honestly. The ideas in this survey were what we want and need. But if they wait the next opus for that... I'm not sure I would follow.
    Sorry for my English, I'm French.
    Hyaweh wrote: »
    I hope that the suveys we answered would be used to make sims 4 evolved. If they do that, it will become a wonderful game. Honestly. The ideas in this survey were what we want and need. But if they wait the next opus for that... I'm not sure I would follow.

i hope they do make changes instead of waiting for the next game, im not chasing the next ride in hopes that it will eventually be better than older games :/