Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

i dont understand..

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2020
    I really don't mind that the babies are stuck to the crib. It makes it easier to find them when they are crying. In my experience with the sims 3, my sims would sometimes leave the baby out in the snow and I wouldn't be able to find it until the little freezing thought bubble would go above the mound of snow that was the baby. I also find that babysitters and other visiting sims would often take the babies out of the crib and leave them on the floor. So babies being objects doesn't bother me at all.
    I wish people would stop using fallacies like this to find exuses for bad game decisions.

1. No your own sims wouldn't, unless maybe you forgot to place a crib. But, yeah.
    2. I raised 60+ babies in that game and had lots of snow, and never did the parents feel the urge to go outside and put nooboo down for no reason. Why on earth would they?
    3. You can find a baby in Sims 3, crying or not crying, in a split second because like with every sim you can double click on their icon. Them not being objects and all?

It is possible you had some mod that triggered this, but everything you describe is completely unrecognizable for me. You can witness the actual mechanism the game has in the link I included. That's how sims in TS3 treat their babies. It's compulsive for them to put the kid in their crib. It's the first thing they do when they wake up even.

They. Can. Pull. This. Off. Properly. Because they did it in the past.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    To me, it just doesn’t seem intentional that they made babies the way they did. It comes across as very rushed and almost as if it were a last resort. Which comes at no surprise, given the history of The Sims 4’s development.

Really, all of the life stages were in some regard compromised at development, and still are today. The game really only shipped with two real life stages, kids and young adults. Teens are just younger adults, toddlers were MIA, babies are objects, and adults/elders showed little to no variation from young adults.

In a life simulator, I’d hope to see a lot of variation between the stages of life..

I think they said the reason . Was because they did not like how babies were in three . They wan to add more things that you can do with them.Which sadly they had to makethem objects.
    Like what?
    5JZ57S6.png
    Baby in Snow - just another test

Everything for science, sorry baby Daryl but we'll have to put you down in the snow for a while. Don't feel bad, you're just pixels.

shGNw1e.png

Within a split second ("I wouldn't be able to find it until the little freezing thought bubble would go above the mound of snow that was the baby"):

PCbFaZ8.png

A thought bubble. But not only that, you can clearly see where the baby is without it, because there's a bump in the snow.

bYnTBRX.png

(yes, also without the shadow you can clearly see it)

But never mind that, because it wouldn't help us anyway. You can't actively pick up the baby when it's covered in snow, there's no option when you click there. Do we need to though?

While someone was putting down baby Daryl in the snow outside, mom was inside the house playing her guitar. At 15:13 I ordered her to quit. At 15:17 we find her like this.

biqhMEA.png

Within minutes she put on her coat the way only sims can, appearing to be nagging about a tv not working but in reality her mind's set on something else.

YUyLaxn.png

Daryl. She'll have to go down some stairs first but no worries. One of her roommates beats her to it (I didn't give mom any instructions other than to put down her guitar, this man I can't control even if I wanted to, since he's a roommate). Look at him run.

WRO9S1H.png

This is at 15:30, 17 sim minutes after the baby had been covered by snow. From the very second the baby got in trouble, Mission Rescue Daryl started.

t3AY2Vg.png

Successfully.

r4GvhtP.png

So can we please please please accept from now on that they actually can make this work?

5JZ57S6.png
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    They definitely need to first address persistent bugs and game play freeze up or lag issues more often than just putting out game packs without correcting these on-going gameplay issues. Even more frustrating are the bugs that sometimes come from patches which I have to assume they don't game test much before releasing it. Btw, I still have a DU Sim that completed 11 credits but can't graduate, because the game suspended him for no reason for a month (in real time), now. The game will not let me re-enroll him and I refuse to enroll him into universtiy all over again. Don't understand why they can't even fix that bug. Ughh...
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I really don't mind that the babies are stuck to the crib. It makes it easier to find them when they are crying. In my experience with the sims 3, my sims would sometimes leave the baby out in the snow and I wouldn't be able to find it until the little freezing thought bubble would go above the mound of snow that was the baby. I also find that babysitters and other visiting sims would often take the babies out of the crib and leave them on the floor. So babies being objects doesn't bother me at all.
    I wish people would stop using fallacies like this to find exuses for bad game decisions.

1. No your own sims wouldn't, unless maybe you forgot to place a crib. But, yeah.
    2. I raised 60+ babies in that game and had lots of snow, and never did the parents feel the urge to go outside and put nooboo down for no reason. Why on earth would they?
    3. You can find a baby in Sims 3, crying or not crying, in a split second because like with every sim you can double click on their icon. Them not being objects and all?

It is possible you had some mod that triggered this, but everything you describe is completely unrecognizable for me. You can witness the actual mechanism the game has in the link I included. That's how sims in TS3 treat their babies. It's compulsive for them to put the kid in their crib. It's the first thing they do when they wake up even.

To me, it just doesn’t seem intentional that they made babies the way they did. It comes across as very rushed and almost as if it were a last resort. Which comes at no surprise, given the history of The Sims 4’s development.

Really, all of the life stages were in some regard compromised at development, and still are today. The game really only shipped with two real life stages, kids and young adults. Teens are just younger adults, toddlers were MIA, babies are objects, and adults/elders showed little to no variation from young adults.

In a life simulator, I’d hope to see a lot of variation between the stages of life..

I think they said the reason . Was because they did not like how babies were in three . They wan to add more things that you can do with them.Which sadly they had to makethem objects.
    Like what?

I don't know.The only interaction I saw were new Motger can breast feed, coo at the baby.The children can play peek a boo. Thats pretty much it.
  • SereneMossSereneMoss Posts: 128 Member
    so people here think its offensive for me to say its inhumane to leave a baby in a crib 24/7 and its offensive... are you serious? you must not be a parent. this game has done good work in sims 3 and ive never had an issue i noticed issues if you werent watching the kid or if you canceled or interrupted an action while holding the baby. ive never had an issue since. its the same with placing them in the snow ive never had that issue once. i didnt use mods. and i never had any problems. i find it more offensive that people think babies are supposed to only live in a crib. i dont care if its a game they have done it in the past and instead of rushing the game go back and fix the initial problems instead of worrying about arts and crafts. the game is a life simulator, that should be the main focus. life states should be corrected before we worry about other dumb things just for a quick money grab. rather you play with other life stages or not, its a life simulator and its wrong to leave babies in cribs 24/7 they have done fine in the past so i know they can do it but they choose not to. they care more about pandering to the new fads than actually make the game awesome for all players. parents didnt get much to do for their children and i think they deserve a chance to play the way they are hoping to. if they can make dogs more interactive why not my children in the game. and yet no one finds this disturbing?
  • SereneMossSereneMoss Posts: 128 Member
    Well to each their own. I hate babies and age them up the second my sims get back from the hospital.
    Also "humane"? I'm sorry but talking about pretend people's babies and claiming it in any way is inhumane that they can't leave the crib on their own is slightly offensive, to be honest.

offensive? so you think babies should be locked up 24/7 in a crib, you must not be a parent.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited January 2020

If someone from EA said that, I don't believe that explanation for one minute. There are object babies in TS4 because they ran out of time. Exactly as there were no toddlers and, at launch, players were having great difficulty telling teenagers apart from the adults.

As was already said in this thread, TS4 launched with only two life stages because someone at EA made a bad call and the rest of the development time was spent playing catch up.

With that type of nonsense excuse from the developers, I'm afraid that TS4 babies will be the equivalent of the lounge chairs. The developers really wanted to make those better, too. What paying customers ended up with was something worse. As it is, the TS4 babies are already worse than the babies in TS3. If the developers were trying to make them better, they failed.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg

Like what?

I don't know.The only interaction I saw were new Motger can breast feed, coo at the baby.The children can play peek a boo. Thats pretty much it.
    They could perfectly well make a ‘free’ baby being breastfed (it’s just an animation comparable to giving a bottle). I love how kids can interact with the baby in Sims 4, but also there I don’t quite see why it would require being tied to the bassinet. Kids in 3 can play peek a boo with their toddler siblings and those aren’t tied to anything either ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    It has nothing to do with being a parent IRL or not. It's offensive to belittle our own humanity and say we are the exact same as pixels in a computer game. Of course IRL you would never leave a baby in the crib for 24 hours a day until they can walk. Where do you draw the line in a video game what is humane anyways? I'd also never trap all of my neighbours in a pool or lock them in the basement and force them to paint for me. I'm all for freeing the babies, just not if it's a buggy mess.

Saying it worked fine in TS3 isn't really a solid argument. Just because they did it ok in the past, doesn't mean it will be ok now. Look at everything else in TS4 as evidence. TS3 my sims could all sit around and have a nice meal too, but in TS4 they get up and walk all over the house, eat on the toilet, stand beside a perfectly good table the rest of the family is eating at even though there is indeed a free chair. A few of you do say it worked flawlessly in your games, and fantastic for you. It didn't in mine and others. My sims didn't do anything like walk away from a crib to put them in the snow, but, if they were outside and got an idea that needed 2 hands, yes, they did drop them on the ground. It didn't have to be outside in the snow, though it did happen there, just anywhere they happened to stand and needed 2 hands free for the next action. Maybe it was my fault for q-ing the next action, but I should be able to line up their activities without micro managing to that degree, and for the most part I could. Just sometimes it didn't. TS3 was a lot better at this than TS4 but it wasn't perfect and that's also why I don't really want this for TS4 until they can fix so that this type of stuff won't happen, because as the game is now, suggests that it will. I agree fixing other core issues is more important and should come first. Maybe if those were fixed, I could get on board and trust them to fix babies properly.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
    Camkat wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with being a parent IRL or not. It's offensive to belittle our own humanity and say we are the exact same as pixels in a computer game. Of course IRL you would never leave a baby in the crib for 24 hours a day until they can walk. Where do you draw the line in a video game what is humane anyways? I'd also never trap all of my neighbours in a pool or lock them in the basement and force them to paint for me. I'm all for freeing the babies, just not if it's a buggy mess.

Saying it worked fine in TS3 isn't really a solid argument. Just because they did it ok in the past, doesn't mean it will be ok now. Look at everything else in TS4 as evidence. TS3 my sims could all sit around and have a nice meal too, but in TS4 they get up and walk all over the house, eat on the toilet, stand beside a perfectly good table the rest of the family is eating at even though there is indeed a free chair. A few of you do say it worked flawlessly in your games, and fantastic for you. It didn't in mine and others. My sims didn't do anything like walk away from a crib to put them in the snow, but, if they were outside and got an idea that needed 2 hands, yes, they did drop them on the ground. It didn't have to be outside in the snow, though it did happen there, just anywhere they happened to stand and needed 2 hands free for the next action. Maybe it was my fault for q-ing the next action, but I should be able to line up their activities without micro managing to that degree, and for the most part I could. Just sometimes it didn't. TS3 was a lot better at this than TS4 but it wasn't perfect and that's also why I don't really want this for TS4 until they can fix so that this type of stuff won't happen, because as the game is now, suggests that it will. I agree fixing other core issues is more important and should come first. Maybe if those were fixed, I could get on board and trust them to fix babies properly.
    I certainly don't use it as an argument for Sims 4. I actually wonder if they could change it even if they wanted to. But it's the other way around. People use the situation in predecessors to 'prove' it never worked and that the object tied to bassinet thing therefor was a good decision because of that. And that's just nonsense. Whatever their reason was, not that they couldn't make it work properly in the past. And yes, it only works when there's a crib around. Why on earth would I want to take a baby somewhere when I want my sim to do anything else than taking care of that baby? I mean.., just don't? You can't do that in Sims 4 either.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    The problem is apparent to me... people keep rewarding a crappy developer making low-effort, high-profit crap by buying their low-effort, high-profit crap. Unless complaints threaten profit nothing changes. EA has nothing but contempt toward their customers.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited January 2020

I certainly don't use it as an argument for Sims 4. I actually wonder if they could change it even if they wanted to. But it's the other way around. People use the situation in predecessors to 'prove' it never worked and that the object tied to bassinet thing therefor was a good decision because of that. And that's just nonsense. Whatever their reason was, not that they couldn't make it work properly in the past. And yes, it only works when there's a crib around. Why on earth would I want to take a baby somewhere when I want my sim to do anything else than taking care of that baby? I mean.., just don't? You can't do that in Sims 4 either.

We are on the same page. I've never bought into the past babies being glitchy and that's why they did it. Like you, I wonder if this game can even do it in the first place. I feel like that's something they would have done if they could have done by now. TS4 took so many steps back from TS3 and even TS2 that I'd doubt it was even possible to free the babies at this point. Even just a pregnancy is a moodlet, (which is also wrong IMO) and that was proven when ROM came out and the potion to clear negative moodlets, cleared also the pregnancy. :o I think our best hope now is TS5.
    Origin ID: Peapod79

We are on the same page. I've never bought into the past babies being glitchy and that's why they did it. Like you, I wonder if this game can even do it in the first place. I feel like that's something they would have done if they could have done by now. TS4 took so many steps back from TS3 and even TS2 that I'd doubt it was even possible to free the babies at this point. Even just a pregnancy is a moodlet, (which is also wrong IMO) and that was proven when ROM came out and the potion to clear negative moodlets, cleared also the pregnancy. :o I think our best hope now is TS5.
    And Paralives. I just read on Twitter they're busy right now developing the characters. Excited and scared at the same time about that... :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    As someone who played TS2 and TS3 and tried to leave babies in odd places because I believe failure states are more fun than happyville, I can confirm that in both games I couldn't keep Sims from going to find the babies, rescue the babies and or pick up the babies to feed, cuddle, tickle and or put in crib. Even if I kept parents and teens busy so they couldn't go get baby in TS3 some neighbor would rescue baby, so I don't know what this is about Sims putting down babies on the ground etc. Even if that happened once someone else, in a total stranger was going to pick them up.

TS4 developers don't want to free babies or they already would have done it. It's not a money maker, and why should they>people have already made them a billion so really no one is going to stop buying just because babies are objects, so there isn't any motivation for them to do it, it's not like it's going to make them lose money is it? It hasn't so far. We get what we pay for> We knew it before we bought TS4 and continue to buy, no use in crying now.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • IronicBeauty77IronicBeauty77 Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2020
    SereneMoss wrote: »
    Well to each their own. I hate babies and age them up the second my sims get back from the hospital.
    Also "humane"? I'm sorry but talking about pretend people's babies and claiming it in any way is inhumane that they can't leave the crib on their own is slightly offensive, to be honest.

offensive? so you think babies should be locked up 24/7 in a crib, you must not be a parent.

You can come down from your high-horse, dear. There are a lot of parents that play Sims and no one (anyone sane) thinks pixilated babies are human. So treating them "humanely" is a non-sequitur. I have four kiddos and have locked sims in basements, starved sims to death, caught sims on fire, drowned sims, frozen sims to death, put sims babies on grills, but sim babies in the snow, put sims babies anywhere I could just to see if it was possible. All done on purpose and with much enjoyment. This is a game and has nothing at all to do with what you would do in real life. Sheesh!

And with that said, absolutely they should fix the base mechanics of the game. Most everything that is The Sims 4 was shotely done. What could be cranked out quick and with the most profit. Frustrating to say the least but EA is in the business of making money. The game play is second (or possibly last) on the list of what the goals are.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited January 2020

I didn't use mods in the sims 3. My computer was not able to handle them. I'm not trying to use this as an excuse for bad gaming decisions because, in my opinion, its one of the few things in the sims 4 that wasn't a bad gaming decision.

1. My sims rarely left the baby on the floor but I still play the sims 3 and visiting sims and babysitters do still frequently leave the baby on the floor.
    2. I've had a lot of sims leave the baby in the snow when they have come home from the hospital after having the baby because someone wanted to talk to them or a zombie came and attacked them and then leave them there. I would then have to find the baby and tell my sim to put them in the crib.
    3. When they are in the snow it is very hard to click on the baby sometimes because they are buried under the snow. It could take a couple times for me to be able to see them until the thought bubble appeared. Even knowing the general area they were in.

Like I said before I still play the sims 3 on a daily basis, with out mods and still have this happen to me. Does it happen every time my sim has a baby? No. But it does happen on occasion and I like the convenience of not having to put the baby back in the crib every time someone takes it out. Not everyones game is the same.
    Post edited by fruitsbasket101 on
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited January 2020
    double post
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
    edited January 2020

I didn't use mods in the sims 3. My computer was not able to handle them. I'm not trying to use this as an excuse for bad gaming decisions because, in my opinion, its one of the few things in the sims 4 that wasn't a bad gaming decision.

1. My sims rarely left the baby on the floor but I still play the sims 3 and visiting sims and babysitters do still frequently leave the baby on the floor.
    2. I've had a lot of sims leave the baby in the snow when they have come home from the hospital after having the baby because someone wanted to talk to them or a zombie came and attacked them and then leave them there. I would then have to find the baby and tell my sim to put them in the crib.
    3. When they are in the snow it is very hard to click on the baby sometimes because they are buried under the snow. It could take a couple times for me to be able to see them until the thought bubble appeared. Even knowing the general area they were in.

Like I said before I still play the sims 3 on a daily basis, with out mods and still have this happen to me. Does it happen every time my sim has a baby? No. But it does happen on occasion and I like the convenience of not having to put the baby back in the crib every time someone takes it out. Not everyones game is the same.
    Yes, everyone’s game’s the same, they didn’t make unique copies. It is possible of course it’s a processor thing, like I get more sims on a community lot than I used to after buying a better computer. Anyway, whether it’s a poor game decision or not is a matter of opinion of course. I’d mind less to be honest if they were more cute (I find them creepy in Sims 4 and not at all baby like, more like a slightly creepy doll). And, even more importantly, if they didn’t constantly put them back into the crib between interactions. If they’d just pick them up and cuddle them, then breastfeed them, then play with them, maybe walk around with them a little, I think it wouldn’t bother me that much they’re tied to the bassinet. But they implemented it in a very robotic, unimmersive (is that a word?), unnatural way.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    It has nothing to do with being a parent IRL or not. It's offensive to belittle our own humanity and say we are the exact same as pixels in a computer game.

@Camkat lol I’m glad somebody finally said this. There is a whole entire thread filled with extreme anger about how “inhumanely” the game treats toddlers like pixels are a human rights crisis 🧐🧐🧐
  • 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    I always thought the glitches were hilarious. Baby needs a bath - dishwasher!! Baby is cold - barbecue!!

Realistically, since they don't give you anything to do with a baby, I age them up in 24-48 hours. I would keep them around longer if you had fun interactions.

Not that this is a suggestion thread, but my imagination took off:
    - grossed out from changing diapers - what about a nuclear diaper explosion? It happens IRL.
    - projectile vomiting from being bounced too much?
    - teething - dog steals the teething toy and hides it or drops in dog toy box.
    - bathing the baby
    - classic stroller
    - have them learn to crawl and sit up

All stages need more action/reaction with other sims, funny or surprising acts - like a toddler trying to ride a dog or climb the furniture autonomously. The interactions all seem flat to me and don't carry any lingering reactions. You shout at someone and the next sentence they are smiling and hugging. You slip in a mud puddle. No one laughs at you or jeers?? When I give my sims high free will they just want to drink water until they die.
  • chuckjaymoorechuckjaymoore Posts: 60 Member
    When comparing The Sims 4 with The Sims Freeplay, The Sims 4 feels watered down. This not only affects the player experience, but also The Gallery.

I search The Gallery and struggle to find lots and households that use just the content I own. I only own Spa Day, Parenthood and Dine Out. I still struggle to find lots in the gallery that are useful. When placing a lot, I get a dialog saying: " x items have been removed. x items have been substituted." It's not specified what's been removed, only how many items removed. Even lots that don't use items from specific packs will still result in that dialog. Most of the items removed aren't able to be substituted and that includes lots that don't use items from specific packs. The base game lacks so much everyone has to utilize build mode items from every single pack. I have to either spend $600 to place the lots in the gallery or learn to build better. Building is too overwhelming for me and I prefer just placing lots.

The Gallery has problems of its own. The filter and search could use some improvement. Being able to find lots that aren't only base game, but only use items that I own would make The Gallery much better. When almost everything in The Gallery uses items from every single pack instead of just one, it takes a lot more time to find the lots I'm able to use. Bringing The Gallery to consoles is a good start at improving The Sims 4, but the treatment of babies as objects not only disappoints the community, it makes households less unique. I would really like to see babies in The Gallery.
    Gallery ID: 1mooresimmer
    YouTube channel: youtube.com/@1mooresimmer/
    TikTok: tiktok.com/@1mooresimmer
  • IronicBeauty77IronicBeauty77 Posts: 28 Member
    I always thought the glitches were hilarious. Baby needs a bath - dishwasher!! Baby is cold - barbecue!!

Realistically, since they don't give you anything to do with a baby, I age them up in 24-48 hours. I would keep them around longer if you had fun interactions.

Not that this is a suggestion thread, but my imagination took off:
    - grossed out from changing diapers - what about a nuclear diaper explosion? It happens IRL.
    - projectile vomiting from being bounced too much?
    - teething - dog steals the teething toy and hides it or drops in dog toy box.
    - bathing the baby
    - classic stroller
    - have them learn to crawl and sit up

All stages need more action/reaction with other sims, funny or surprising acts - like a toddler trying to ride a dog or climb the furniture autonomously. The interactions all seem flat to me and don't carry any lingering reactions. You shout at someone and the next sentence they are smiling and hugging. You slip in a mud puddle. No one laughs at you or jeers?? When I give my sims high free will they just want to drink water until they die.

Yes! Yes! Loved being able to put the sim baby in a stroller. It was a decent life-state when I think back. Going from crawling to walking... or was that toddler? Anyway, just sad to see how far it has digressed from its former glory. Simple things would be nice like sims with an actual personality for one. Emotions could've been a nice added element but it certainly doesn't make them have personality at all. Play it long enough and you'll notice that from TS3 to TS4 it's simple laziness. They didn't want to code for traits. Every sim is the same and there isn't anything new to discover when you change or combine different traits. I played the ton out of TS3 and every sim I discovered something new. Actions and (what is totally lacking in TS4) reactions were all different and unique. I remember playing it and thinking how much work must have gone into making all those unique interactions. TS3 is an awesome testament to what good developers can do and TS4 to bad lazy ones.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    shorty943p wrote: »
    Yep a Life Simulator. IF, you are a 30 something programmer still living in Mom,s basement and know nothing about reality.
    Which is why I have started looking for better simulations lately.

I'm sure even programmers who live in their mom's basement need to know all they can about reality. Otherwise,how would they even know how to program a single line in a game code?
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
    It has nothing to do with being a parent IRL or not. It's offensive to belittle our own humanity and say we are the exact same as pixels in a computer game.

@Camkat lol I’m glad somebody finally said this. There is a whole entire thread filled with extreme anger about how “inhumanely” the game treats toddlers like pixels are a human rights crisis 🧐🧐🧐
    Lol, I burried a baby in ice cold snow yesterday just to make a point. I also raised two real ones. No, it’s not the same thing :p
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

Even just a pregnancy is a moodlet, (which is also wrong IMO) and that was proven when ROM came out and the potion to clear negative moodlets, cleared also the pregnancy.

Hijole, is that right? What's happening to the Sims series quality control?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg