Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Orient Express community collab

Comments

• Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    @soocoolsim Sure, I haven't put in the lot yet so it can be whatever size you think you'll need. I am waiting to hear the train car lot size before drawing the stations.
  • Options
    soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,262 Member
    edited January 2020
    Rox tried out the new tracks but they didn’t work so well. She’s rebuilding the first base to raise the height of the car and loading platform but that may change the lot size. The delay is mine. I got tied up with other priorities so she’s graciously helping me out.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Oh there's no delay, I was out most of today and haven't opened the world since this morning. I only meant I wanted to hear how the tracks were working out before I draw in the lots for the trains. Even then, I can change and move around lot sizes whenever. It's no trouble. I'm excited for the world and to see the little trains in place, but I know it will take time for it all to come together.
    Post edited by Jessabeans on
  • Options
    HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    edited January 2020
    @Jessabeans is it preferred to be Venice Santa Lucia station which looks art deco or would a pre-Santa Lucia fantasy station tying in to Venetian theme as a sample in soocoolsim post. I can work with either- if someone else doesn't take it. I just may need to know what style rails we are working with (am I building, are they the CAW rails, etc) or if it matters.

How many residential lots would you like, 30x20/30x30 inner city builds are pretty easy especially if I am mostly doing a shell and not over decorating like my usual builds XD. But are they waterfront resident builds or not- should I wait for the CAW with lots assigned/ready?

Oh you are welcome to use any of my builds that are needed. And I could even re-colour builds (and empty interior) that you might like but need to be lighter or more Venitian tweaked.

I rarely use Into the Future with historical builds (Time Portal Hidden in the basement so it doesn't spawn when starting game. So Into the future Expansion is not really used except to prevent the event if it is used). So that shouldn't be a problem.

For builds like these I tend to use continuously for it's shell/exterior decor:
    • Monte Vista (Wallpapers especially and Lucia’s Arch)
    • Midnight Hollow (Wallpapers, roof decor, fire place, fence and stairs)
    • Last Venue of Amore
    • Gothique Library (Gargoyle Columns and sometimes windows- but easily swapped out)
    • Live, Laugh, Love (most build items and some decor)
    • Al Fresco Street Market (cart decor and Humble Harvest Stand)
    • Brunch at the Old Mill or alternatively Al Fresco Street Market (the ivy sets)
    • Hacienda Luxury (doors, arches and windows)
    • Mother Russia (Mother Russia Double Window, Mother Russia Fence and Mother Russia Striped Gate- but easily swapped out)
    • Muse Luxury (mostly just the Artemis Temple Frieze)

For interiors (skipped easily if I am only making basic shells- ready for users to furnish themselves):
    • Dragon Valley (for bathroom items)
    • The Now & Then Century Manor (decor)
    • Palace of Versailles (furniture and decor)
    • Kingdom of Cambodia Bedroom and Bathroom Collection (mostly the bathroom if not using Dragon Valley)
    • Full Storybook Set
    • Full Regal Living Set
    • Gothique Living + Sleeping Rooms (mostly the curtains)

hopefully this helps :)
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    @HollownessDevour Awesome. That's super helpful, I've used some of that in my French lots too so it's good there is some overlap. Thanks for letting us use your lots! Are you currently away from your PC? I should make some headway with the world early this upcoming week and have a buildable version if you wanted to build the lots on site.

The train station isn't a landmark of the area, so I would think you would have some creative license with it? Or did you want the train stations to be authentic @soocoolsim?

I sunk the train bridge from WA France, I have only the top lip of it showing for the train lots. It fits the train car size better than the tracks from Ambitions?\Midnight Hollow. A page or so back I've linked the CAW files if you want to open it and look around, I worked on the world a bit more tonight but the most recent version has the train lot drawn in. Or there's a test version uploaded a page back but the tracks are sitting a little too high in that version.

I did a little with the minor canals tonight, so it shouldn't be much longer before I have the lot sizes drawn in for Venice. Any house you build would be waterfront, unless you'd rather it wasn't. We are only doing a small 'train stop' version of each area so everything is for show and any of the homes will be right in the main areas. They can be fully furnished but a slightly pared down version decor-wise would be great for how laggy CAW can be.

I don't know how many houses we are doing for each area yet. If I had to guess I would say 7-10?

I hope this was coherent, I'm trying to get used to waking early again so I'm really tired this late.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    @HollownessDevour - thank you for allowing us to use some of your builds. That's wonderful.
    @Jessabeans , I would prefer authentic train stations for each destination. An option could be to choose another station in that city.

The clipart I used was of the London Victoria train station.
    Hollowness, if you would like to create that station instead, it would be wonderful. I can take one of the other stations.
    Edit! Related note... the train and tracks will be separate from the station to allow folks to design the individual cars - see Option A sketch. However... if you really wanted to include train tracks in your station, perhaps you ladies can find a way to make the station tracks join up with the OE train tracks.
    Post edited by soocoolsim on
  • Options

@Jessabeans , unfortunately the train tracks have been disappearing in some test lots when Rox places the train car. It may be because the tracks are sitting too high. She's been trying to hide the lip of the tracks with the loading platform, however if you're going to sink the tracks that may totally or partially fix the problem.

It would be better we wait for your next update since the height of the lip off the ground makes a difference on how high the loading platform needs to be. We prefer your original tracks and are currently using a 24x14 for the train car lot. For the next update could you add a station with the station lot and a few 24x14 and 24x15 car lots for comparison and final testing please.
  • Options
    HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    edited January 2020
    I am home tonight but I was out and busy today, and I may be away from computer tomorrow and next day- but might not.

Waterfront helps me plan (and I was hoping too :) ) but of course would help creating directly on to the world when I build. But at least I can plan and test when I next get in he game. Sometimes playing around with dimensions and themes requires sandboxing anyways- at least till the buildable world is ready.

I think once I get a groove and with similar dimensions having 3-4 template builds and doing 1-3 variations of them. So they don't look too much a like but all fit in 7-10 shouldn't really be a problem.

I am definitely more confident with the residential lots- I don't want to worry about straying from the desired look of the stations. But usually with enough images and floor plans I can make a decent facsimile based on real builds. But this could take more time- since I am trying to balance a few things in the wiki too.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    @soocoolsim I'm sorry the tracks are disappearing. I was in a rush to get out the door earlier and didn't look at the world once exported in game before uploading it. I didn't notice until I got home that the tracks were too high. I hope it hasn't been too frustrating for you Romagi.

I can upload another version in the morning. The brown tracks that sits on the ground are too small and I shouldn't bother drawing the lots over them correct? Or would you like to do a test with both types of tracks and the station lots?

@HollownessDevour You wouldn't need to build all the Venice houses yourself, just as many as you felt like if you wanted to do more than one. Soocoolsim is keeping track on the first page so we are all working on different parts. I'll see if I can put in some house lots in the morning for you to build on, it just depends on how much time I will have before my little one wakes up.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    @Jessabeans , yes please don't bother with the smaller tracks for the train car lots. If you give us the station with two sizes of train car lots over the sunken original tracks that would be great thanks.

@HollownessDevour , to add onto what Jessa said... we’re just going for the facades for the train stations. And not necessarily to scale. The interior is totally up to the creator. The only consideration is to make a platform at the full rear of the lot to match the platform on the train lots which will be placed behind.
    Post edited by soocoolsim on
  • Options

Good morning everyone! Page 1 has been updated to add more info about the other world trains which I hope others will come on board to assist with once the Venice Simplon Orient Express is completed. I've chosen the Royal Scotsman which is closer to the other OE trains and did some train switching to reflect their station connections. The other train added is a fictional Alpine Express. This one is way open to individual creativity so I think will be a really fun build. Once the base car shell is released, I may start a linked thread centered around the train builds. Wishing you a great day :D
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I'm sorry about the tracks being too high yesterday. This should fix it, be sure to delete the world cache for the previous version before installing. I hope having the lots over the tracks will work out. I will be out for most of today again but I'll be back tonight.

http://www.simfileshare.net/download/1546444/

I added in a station size lot with both train lot sizes near London, and fixed the track height on the Venice lot. The other train lots are still in the world because I haven't deleted them yet. I'm sorry for the state of the world, I haven't had much time to fix things over the weekend.
  • Options
    SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    soocoolsim wrote: »
    TRAINS

Paris: British Pullman Orient Express ***** More info
    Engine + 7 multi-function = 8 cars
    Choice of car interior design from the following list:
    Perseus / Ibis / Ione / Minerva / Phoenix / Vera / Audrey / Cygnus / Gwen / Lucille
    Each car features plush armchairs in open-plan saloons, arranged as intimate tables for two each side of the aisle.
    At one or both ends of each Pullman car is an enclosed 4-seat compartment or 'coupé'
    • Paris Gare de L’est station -
    • Parlor / Kitchen car #1 -
    • Parlor / Kitchen car #2 -
    • Parlor / Kitchen car #3 -
    • Parlor / Kitchen car #4 -
    • Parlor / Kitchen car #5 -
    • Parlor / Kitchen car #6 -
    • Parlor / Kitchen car #7 -

@soocoolsim, Can you put me down for the "Gwen" carriage? Thanks!

• Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Add love to do the spa car and state room #3 on the Royal Scotsman as well.
  • Options

Wow it was a busy day. Thanks so much for the new file @Jessabeans . Really great how speedy you are. Rox has been testing different heights and options and it seems we have a winner. She’s just got to rebuild the full final so we’re almost there 😀
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    @soocoolsim, Can you put me down for the "Gwen" carriage? Thanks!

@Sandraelle Done. Thanks Sandy.

Edit! I’ve also assigned your restaurant as the front car in the VSOE.
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    Add love to do the spa car and state room #3 on the Royal Scotsman as well.

Done. Thanks @ciane.
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Hi! Sorry to have been so quiet after peeking in earlier. I'd like to help out wherever you need. Cygnus parlor car appeals to me.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options

Done. Awesome to see you back @suzses . I’ve assigned you to the front car so you’ll have the option of removing the front door to gain a little more space. Feel free to claim any of the world lots if you wish.
  • Options
    @soocoolsim, I would also like to claim the London Fire Station. Thx!
  • Options

Awesome, thank you Sandy! Done
  • Options
    Awesome, thank you Sandy! Done

If needed, I can also do a stateroom car and a dining car for the Royal Scotsman, but I'll wait to see if others may want to claim these spots. :)
  • Options
    Wow it was a busy day. Thanks so much for the new file @Jessabeans . Really great how speedy you are. Rox has been testing different heights and options and it seems we have a winner. She’s just got to rebuild the full final so we’re almost there 😀

Wonderful, you are welcome, I'm glad it's worked out. Which lot size did you settle on? I can go ahead and draw in the train lots. Do you think the train station lot size is going to work or want to try some other sizes?

@Sandraelle What size would you like the Fire Station lot to be?
  • Options
    Jessabeans wrote: »

Wonderful, you are welcome, I'm glad it's worked out. Which lot size did you settle on? I can go ahead and draw in the train lots. Do you think the train station lot size is going to work or want to try some other sizes?

@Sandraelle What size would you like the Fire Station lot to be?

Oh gosh, I haven’t even thought about a shape or, how big, lol, but how about 40x30?
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    The train car just uploaded here:
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9356617

Thank you @romagi1 as I've been ever so patiently waiting for this!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top