Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Orient Express community collab

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited January 2020
    @Jessabeans - That was a typo! It was supposed to say NOT being a CAW builder, not NOW. Sorry! I played with CAW a couple times and each time I removed the program, I lost the games I had played whiled it was installed. It apparently works just like an EP or SP. If you played a game with it, then you can't play a game without it. I think CAP worked the same way. (At one time I liked to make patterns to have my sim paint. Then the painting wouldn't be cc. But when I removed CAP, all the games I had played with it installed would not open any more.) So, I don't do either.

I'll be in the minority and say I don't like the rounded top on the story book windows for side windows, or in the case of our view, the front or back. I like when the windows mimic the shape of the build, so these would be great shapes for the ends where they'd mimic the top slope. But you don't see that slope from the sides. Of course, if the big storybook window had two smaller windows on each side of it, then that would make an interesting look; but not the look we are going for.

I had tried to place the higher windows from the lower elevation outside, but where ever you have floor tile, you'll have an invisible tile outlined next to it. So, the windows kept jumping to their normal spot. I'll try to delete the floor tile on the outer edge, and see if I can then get the window to place lower. BUT, often times, when you place windows where they don't really go, they'll not hold in place on upload and download. Sometimes grabbing and releasing will put them where you want. But, I'm not sure. I'll have to play with that some more.

@romagi1 - Which wallpaper choice are you using? I wasn't get the same look in my game. I am playing with these patterns on an already built train that probably has different friezes than yours. So, that might be the reason I am having problems recreating the look.

Oh, and I meant to say, you are a genius @Jessabeans !!!
  • romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
    @ciane they are both in paneling. This one is from UNI.

zCONij2.jpg

This one is a BG clear at the very end of paneling.

FAEqYnt.jpg
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,262 Member

Holy smoke you ladies have certainly been busy. Each of you totally rock! Happy New Year and hoping 2020 will bring you and your families much happiness. We're certainly starting off well with all this enthusiasm. Loving it even though yes indeed, my head is spinning lol :smiley:

Wow @Jessabeans ! I'm so glad I didn't try creating this world myself. What you are doing is way beyond what I've done before. I do like the hills as map edges for the two cities so let's move ahead with this version if you're happy with it. So very pleased you're on board. I'll circle back re the lots a bit later :smiley:

So... I wasn't able to go in game until way after midnight. Had decided to use the pattern that Rox first chose since I liked how the other available end pieces helped divide the train sections, but with your additional input may need to rethink lol. I do like the Linear Lunette windows best.

@romagi1 , that was a great idea to use a frieze as the bottom layer. What I did last night is to have the steps from the train meet the train platform rather than on the ground to more closely reflect reality. So, I had to add a platform at the doorways to allow placement. Your version is even better since it makes the floor totally even. Not sure I can go with a higher frieze since the wheels will be underneath the train and don't require too much height to clear the floor. Heading in game now to play around and will circle back (hopefully) shortly.
    edited January 2020
    Thanks @romagi1 I really like the nice slim line to them! I hadn't thought that you added a striped pattern! And that India window fits the lines so well on the outside. However, inside, it's the story book window that fits that paneling better.

I tried to put the other windows in lower by deleting the outside edge of flooring. Unfortunately, it placed the window, but not the translucency to it. In other words, just the frame of the window showed on the wall. Grabbing and releasing did nothing to help.

And, I agree with what everyone has said about the map, @Jessabeans. You are just a rocking genius!
    You know, there is sometimes a good thing about uneven spacing. There's room for a logo. And, I discovered that you can turn those signs that stick out from a wall so they'll place left to right on a fence. :smiley: You probably already knew that, but it was a discovery for me.

screenshot-17-e1577920568648.jpg

• JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited January 2020
    @soocoolsim Great, if you are okay with the placement of the cities I'll go ahead with sculpting and painting then. It's such a blobby mess with only the base green in game that it's hard to tell what you are looking at. I'll just place rabbit holes for now and leave the space open until we are sure about what other lots are going in each area.

Another question, would you like the hills that separate London and Venice to be lower rounded off ones closer to hills in France with Elms, or taller pointy mountains ones with Firs like in Switzerland? I posted pictures from the train of each, but the lower hills are blurry out the window. You drew a big mountain in your sketch, and I like that idea. Alternatively I could have a large mountain in the upper corner opposite the Paris area away from London. I'll look at google earth to see how hilly the area is. I saw that you were thinking about possibly having cottages there, where you thinking English cottages or Chalet/Cabins? (I can build the lots on winding up a mountain slope for the cabins, or flatter farmland area for the English style.
    gallery_france_1.jpg
    WFII-french-italian-alps-walking-hiking-tour-3.jpg

@ciane Thanks! That's a shame about the windows. I really liked the Linear Lunette best but it does seem too high on the wall for the dining car. I see what you are saying about the storybrook window. From what I can see in pictures, it seems like the sleeper cars have larger windows.
    orient-express-grand-suit-paris-ORIENT1117.jpg
    ciane wrote: »
    @Jessabeans - That was a typo! It was supposed to say NOT being a CAW builder, not NOW. Sorry! I played with CAW a couple times and each time I removed the program, I lost the games I had played whiled it was installed. It apparently works just like an EP or SP. If you played a game with it, then you can't play a game without it. I think CAP worked the same way. (At one time I liked to make patterns to have my sim paint. Then the painting wouldn't be cc. But when I removed CAP, all the games I had played with it installed would not open any more.) So, I don't do either.

Oh no! I'm sorry that happened. I've always used a fresh game folder for CAW because it's so slow I don't want to try to load it with all the store content installed anyway. Thanks for the heads up about it breaking your save. I've been alternating between CAW and playing the renovancy so I would hate to break that save. I could never figure out CAP but some people consider patterns CC so I don't use them anyway.

Post edited by Jessabeans on
    edited January 2020
    Great questions @Jessabeans . Just goes to show how much though goes into creating a world. While having English cottage lots would be more fitting for that area, I love the idea of cabins/chalets winding up the mountain. Am wondering if possible to do something like that earlier picture you showed... Zurich? That would allow a mix of both gentle hills and high mountains with perhaps a few lots of both kinds? Placement wherever you think works best. Thoughts?

Btw... that photo you posted of the sleeper car is gorgeous.

Edit... sorry for holding you back designers. Game time has been super limited with having folks over
    Yeah, I consider CAP patterns to be cc as well, so I'd make a CAP pattern for a wall and have a sim paint a section of it. In game paintings aren't cc, and there are never enough painting choices for me. So, I liked playing around with that to create alternate paintings. Once I had the paintings, I deleted the CAP texture. But, when I uninstalled CAP, then I couldn't play my game that had the paintings that I made. :(
    ciane wrote: »
    You know, there is sometimes a good thing about uneven spacing. There's room for a logo. And, I discovered that you can turn those signs that stick out from a wall so they'll place left to right on a fence. :smiley: You probably already knew that, but it was a discovery for me.

screenshot-17-e1577920568648.jpg

Thanks for the tip re the signs @ciane . I didn’t remember that.
    I don't use CAP either but I do use the sim paintings as the photo's are the only thing I've seen that show as cc.

Ciane, I like the India windows closer together like that but discovered in the dining car that you would have to skip every other window for the tables to work.

I still learn new stuff everyday just trying something I hadn't thought of before or noticing that someone did something I hadn't tried yet. :)
    I figured that they probably needed that much room to maneuver any way. Imagine two sims sitting back to back and both getting up at the same time!
    edited January 2020
    I've started painting a little. Are these the sort of mountains you had in mind?
    d4b0c4d7339fa5ac0b7c001f0af230e9388b40ad.png
    5db4cba47ddd6c4efa0aa90db66f9c6c0e13469c.png
    3e337b61df8c6edba0eb736f1201b4a5b4a5ad54.png
    I have the more rounded hills at the map edge for the Paris area.
    @ciane, these are the India windows spaced farther apart and I don't think the sims will have a problem. Plus it leaves room for a light instead of a non used window.

JHLhZx6.jpg

Have we decided which window we are going to use? I'm good with either the storybook or the India.
    edited January 2020
    I like the India window best and it looks great with the paneling and curtains. I like the spacing of the windows that lets the paneling pattern really shine, and it gives a wall for the bunk or loft bed in the sleeping compartments too. You always make rooms look so elegant! The all-in-ones look perfect tucked in the corners as well. Have you tried different mirrors on the wall yet?
    edited January 2020
    I did a little more painting this morning.

General painting overview
    b86812da5ec08d34ed799993fcfa1f59a714ae22.jpg

Venice
    venice-street-scene-forest-alan-lee.jpg
    Most of Venice's streets and alleys are this whitish rectangular stone. It matches the bridges from China so I'm trying out the Chinese Bridges in Venice. I've painted the stone from the street on most of the island.
    c58a7e0be5e11c0088a4337bc70a30ea41658a36.jpg
    465c6b36787aaecb1a76a97f6548accc937be257.jpg
    I liked the idea of just the train tracks going into the city but I added a road because it seems more practical for actually playing the world to have it connected by road. I'm using the bridge match road for Venice.
    5c76c9457ecb45ef02604880c1ef4f350a53ad37.jpg

Paris
    10e2a03a10046de662563709a33042cf2855e828.jpg
    I've put in some of the River walls from Champs les sims, I'm going to use the bridges and roads from there for the Paris section. I'm still sorting out the layout before I start laying in more streets.
    3283a17ead1f8d42b49fb93fa23cd8ef90674bfa.jpg

Alps area
    acea616947508ef9f8c47d379bad0ed44807239c.jpg
    The mountain painting isn't final, it's just as much as I did last night.

Added some more rustic looking bridges to the alps in the northern corner. I marked where I was thinking about putting in a waterfall and pond in blue. This is the beginning of the river Thames going into the London area.

London
    e11128b8aca0d55f3331ed6d4dc64f5c8f303ea3.jpg
    I didn't do much with London this morning. Just softened the river edges and added some mud/rocks along the river bank.

I am going to export it again tonight to do a routing check. I can stick the current verison on Sims file share if anyone wants to peek at it's current progress in game.
  • SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    edited January 2020
    @ciane and @romagi1, I tested curtains on the India window, and I think I'm liking that one the best too.

Ciane, that was a great idea to use one of the signs for the train logo.

@Jessabeans, Wow, your painting on the mountains is looking fabulous so far. I'm still in awe of anyone who can do CAW and when I see the whole world I'm sure I'll be even more blown away.

@soocoolsim, can't wait to see what our template train will look like when finished.

Good job everybody!!

EDIT: I guess we posted around the same time @Jessabeans, so I missed seeing all the new pictures. Wow, this is really looking amazing and I'm just so impressed. I guess I'll wait to DL your newest version.
    edited January 2020
    Thanks!

Here's the most recent version, it's a little further along than the pictures from this morning. http://www.simfileshare.net/download/1541495/
    3c5401ca9ecbab4489be84bdd7613e2ddfd11b83.jpg
    Routing test was about what I was expecting. Personal watercrafts and water taxis work in the grand canal. Personal boats worked in some of the minor canals and others were too small. So I will be taking out some of the smaller ones to make lot placement easier. Everything but the house boats fit under the China bridges so unless the style isn't right I will keep those. Boats fit under the smaller china bridges in the larger side allies.

dd1f7346b59daf3ddc39cb8fbbbadd85f9ba3a15.jpg
    I did a grey snow test and venice is high enough from the water that it doesn't get the grey ick. I found some grey ick spots near London that I need to raise up but nothing major.

I have plans this weekend so it could be Monday before I do more on the world, maybe Sunday night. If you have any suggestions for changes or want any the areas rearranged let me know.
  • HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    Jessabeans wrote: »
    I'm interested in the project for sure. I really enjoyed reading about the inspiration train!

What scope of playable world at each destination are you considering? I've got a several french style buildings I made when I was editing monte vista into a french city. I'm sure with sight lines they could be arranged to look like the train was leaving the city for story telling, but I haven't built enough for a full fledged playable world. If you are thinking just a street or two on either/one side and some landscaping then I think I would be able to help with that.

I also don't have any London style buildings myself. I did some research and planning for london flats for a historical story a while back. I'm sure I could help with some of those depending on the timeframe of the project.

I don't have any venetian style lots built either, but I think it would be a fun project to build some especially with the store gondola and venetian build set.

@HollownessDevour might be interested in this, she's made some really beautiful Venetian style buildings.

Between holidays and a family emergency that got demoted to a maybe emergency- has had me on and off on call for house sitting. So little to no simming (I barely got my holiday build out on time before I had to head back to my parents). Just got home today and not sure if I'll be here for long. February, I am penciled in for a house sitting too- so I am not confident to start any major projects until this family emergency/maybe not emergency is settled.

But if this looks like a longer term project and you tell me what you want from me I can see what I can do.
    edited January 2020

Between holidays and a family emergency that got demoted to a maybe emergency- has had me on and off on call for house sitting. So little to no simming (I barely got my holiday build out on time before I had to head back to my parents). Just got home today and not sure if I'll be here for long. February, I am penciled in for a house sitting too- so I am not confident to start any major projects until this family emergency/maybe not emergency is settled.

But if this looks like a longer term project and you tell me what you want from me I can see what I can do.

@HollownessDevour No obligation, I know you are busy helping out your family. I just thought of your style for building a Venice lot. In the short term we are decorating train cars for the Orient Express. The longer term, we are working on a world for the cars to go into that includes a train station with a small version of Paris, London and Venice as stops. It will take me some time to have the world ready to build in and even more time to finish it. If you find yourself free and at your pc in the future let me know and I'll put in a lot for you. If you don't mind it being unfinished I can give you a copy of the world to build in with your lot in place. Also, feel free to drop in if you have any ideas or suggestions while you are stuck on the non-simming laptop. Thanks for checking in on the mention either way. I hope you had a good New Year.
    edited January 2020
    I've discovered a problem! In order to center a 5tile car on a 20x25 lot, the car has to center on 25 tile width, leaving the shorter 20 tiles as the length. Placing the 5tiles in the center of the 20, means the train car doesn't actually center. It's one tile one way or the other.

A 4 tile wide car with only one space of hallway or a 6-tile car with exaggerated spacing center on the 20 tiles and allow reversibility of train cars.

A 25x25 lot would allow the 5tile car to center and be reversed.

Just trying to put this out there before it's too late and sorry I didn't think of this earlier.

Added: My vote now would be to keep the 20x25 lots, but just bump up to the 6tile train. It's looking nice on the converted trains from the Elf Express lots. This is the size I get from extended the Elf Express Caboose House. I think it's now basically back to option C, but it's 22 long:
    screenshot-24-2-e1578089755491.jpg
    screenshot-26-2.jpg

I'm obviously still playing around it, but wanted to post size and line up of wheels and windows and doors and stairs. I didn't think the pedestals were needed (behind the wheels), so these pics show the wheels without them. I'm still open to the 5tile version, but I do prefer the nice symmetry of going with the 4 or 6 tile and being able to reverse the cars.
    Post edited by ciane on
    edited January 2020
    Firstly, huge thanks to everyone for keeping the enthusiasm going. Your input is being taking into consideration as the base lot is being tweaked and tested :smiley:

It all looks wonderful so far @Jessabeans ! I can't believe how quickly you're moving along. I tested the base train lot on your WIP world and the concept looks great since the world tracks show through and the train scale is OK. The more I see from you, the more excited I get :smiley:

One concern we also considered as @ciane mentioned is the centering. However before we redo the lot yet again, we do need your input on whether or not you can place the world tracks to align with the train (not necessarily the lot).

For your next world update, may I request you place a few different sized lots on a stretch of straight, totally flat terrain, centered on the train track as best as you can so we can more precisely test alignment... 25x20, 25x25, 24x15, 24x16.

Also, if possible could you let me know which direction the engine front should be facing (i.e. towards the left or right of the lot) - journey going from London to Paris to Venice.

@ciane , if possible I would prefer to go the opposite way... reduce the depth to butt the train itself tighter against the station lot if we go with Option A below. I've experimented with 24x14 and 24x15. The odd depth allows the 5-width train to sit better on the world tracks but still a tad offset, however I'm not positive the test lot in the WIP world is centered on the tracks so can't determine. If Jessa can move the tracks free-form to align with the train then I think we should be OK with whatever size we choose since just the lots would need to snap to grid. Currently I'm not seeing the advantages of making the lot reversible if everyone places them in the same direction. The front and back of the lot will be defined for placement. Are there related concerns we need to address?

A smaller tweak to be finalized is the train platform and wheel structure which needs to be raised higher to sit over the world tracks. [edit: yes, the wheel structure for this train is different than the Christmas lot to more closely match the actual photos] Am heading in game now to do some more experimenting with heights.

@Jessabeans , related note regarding the placement of the platform and train lots... I'm thinking we have 2 options below. Originally my thought was Option A, however depending on everyone's input, I'm also open to Option B. Did you have other options for consideration? Any concerns?
    I anticipate a standard 50 x 25 lot would suffice for the train station lots. Thoughts everyone?

KWjpI6k.jpg
    Post edited by soocoolsim on

So great to see you here @HollownessDevour . No set timeframe at this point since the project is evolving and it's intended to be fun and not pressure added. If you have any suggestions or would like to contribute as we get further along you would be most welcome :smiley:
    edited January 2020
    @soocoolsim Sure, I can draw up the lots for testing. I will put the tracks with various lots sizes side by side in the currently unused area outside of London so it will be a flat stretch. I will just save that draft of the world as something else so I won't need to remove them later. Knowing the size and number of lots for the train will help me set up the station and lot area so I will be able to see where it will fit into each area. I will see how lining up the lots across the tracks works with the various sizes. I try to place lots along CAWs grid to make routing smoother so generally go up a lot size instead, but I could place them off grid if need be. As far as placing the train tracks straight under the lots, it's a lot easier when they going at an even degree rotation and on a flat surface. I would like to have any tracks with the train lots over them be straight and flat, and should be able to put in curves and other decorative parts at more interesting angles. I would really like to do a curvy track when I start to fill in the mountain area. The Venice road and tracks in area at a 36ish degree rotation, so the tracks look wobbly when I lined it up against the lot placed on the grid but it's fixable, just going to take some maths.

From what I see in your suggestion, the train station would be to the side of the train track (and train car lots) and not reach across the tracks too?

As far as the way they are facing, Do you have a preference? Do you want it to be realistic (even though the orientation of the areas are currently unrealistic, but this way allowed me to have London and Venice by the Sea.)

800px-Orient-Express_Historic_Routes_%28en%29.svg.png

This map works out well, if you did want to have a train off in the rural Alps area because the Zürich line also left from Paris. I think that's going to be dependant on the lot count for the cities.

If going for realism It should depart from London pointing South slightly West, I have the river flowing into the ocean at the edge of the map and had planned to have the track enter the tunnel near the ocean. The train would be heading south/east into the tunnel.

I liked the idea of it approaching Venice across the series of islands. They will likely stretch out into the islands if the train is 'parked.' I am going to assume the train would be arriving in Venice. Where Santa Lucia station is on the map.

Santa-Lucia-Venice-Train-Station-on-Map.jpg
    London is about where Murano is on this map.

As far as where the train is in Paris, I'm still trying to figure out the city layout. The train would be heading south east into Venice, so I could put it along the edge of the island across the river, where the arc de triomphe was in an early picture. Actually, that might be where I was trying it out in the most recent version. I can load up CAW and check.

I forgot to answer, I would prefer a walking path along the tracks too.

Oh also, I will share the more recent CAW files if you want to play around with placement yourself in CAW. I can make adjustments on my version based on your feedback. I'm more of a 'try it out' than 'plan it out' person.
    I think I prefer A with the walking path alongside.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top