Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Orient Express community collab

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited January 2020
    Darn, that's probably not a good option then, as much as I love the centering and looks.
    I found some other fun gold options, even though they aren't what we are looking for.
    screenshot-10-12.jpg
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited January 2020
    Thank you @Sandraelle, I'm excited to see what the train cars and world lots are going to be like with all you fantastic builders working on them.
    ciane wrote: »

I love a festival big park with some work out options and harvestable crops and an indoor area with some book cases and a snack bar. You might want some of the combined lots like a grocery/book/consignment store and a combined city hall/police station (to catch burglars). You might also want a hospital (for allergy shots and births) and a school (if you plan to live there rather than just visit.

Also, I love your idea of Paris for shopping and London pubs with maybe a nice Venice pizza place/restaurant.

@Ciane Oh that's a good point, I think the Supernatural hospital rabbit hole and city hall would look good in the london area. They are the victorian looking ones. A festival park would be great, do you think it would go in the Paris section? Are we going to use the eiffel tower or arc de triomphe that's in the game? If so, I could build the area of paris that has the eiffel tower, with Champ de Mars as a festival ground, the louvre as the art museum and then a few apartments/shops for Champs-Élysées. It would be nice to have corner cafe in the paris area too. I like your idea of a pizza place in venice. Or would the festival lot be in Venice so it could have the gondolas? I'd like it to use the carousel.

Would the world need a school in each section? I usually have at least 2 in worlds, especially if they have seperate areas.

I've had another idea, maybe I could make the world an island, and for the paris and london parts do a false area out from them to make it look like a river. They way it is in Hidden Springs, where you can't access the area across from the river. I was looking around and saw there are curved train track bits, so I could try to make the track actually connect like a child's train set, except for the section where it goes under the english channel. I'll think about how to visually block the center of the island if I do it that way, so that townies could still route that way to lots. I'll play around in CAW tomorrow night.
    edited January 2020
    I'm not home yet but the Linear Lunette window looks like it might work? I can't tell from the pictures if it's one that you all have tried.

https://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:34087&scategoryId=11573

*edit* Oh yeah it's the one romagi tried.
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, I think that one is the closest to the original train windows, but it does sit higher than I'd like. The futuristic window sits lower, so it's better from looking out the window at seat height. (The lower window is the hermetically sealed window.)

screenshot-13-12.jpg?resize=219%2C219

And from the outside:
    screenshot-15-12-e1577843400957.jpg?resize=219%2C219

Though the Linear Lunette has a much more streamlined look to it.
    Jessabeans wrote: »
    @Ciane Oh that's a good point, I think the Supernatural hospital rabbit hole and city hall would look good in the london area. They are the victorian looking ones. A festival park would be great, do you think it would go in the Paris section? Are we going to use the eiffel tower or arc de triomphe that's in the game? If so, I could build the area of paris that has the eiffel tower, with Champ de Mars as a festival ground, the louvre as the art museum and then a few apartments/shops for Champs-Élysées. It would be nice to have corner cafe in the paris area too. I like your idea of a pizza place in venice. Or would the festival lot be in Venice so it could have the gondolas? I'd like it to use the carousel.

Would the world need a school in each section? I usually have at least 2 in worlds, especially if they have seperate areas.

You have great ideas, so whatever you'd like will be awesome! A school in each section would mean less commute time, but it'd also take up more real estate, so I'm a fence sitter on this one.
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,261 Member

The input all sounds great so far in particular your ideas for the Paris section. It would be cool and so fitting to have a gondola lot in Venice. It sounds like you're willing to take on quite a lot @Jessabeans . I sent you a PM with my rough sketch.

Thanks all for your input on the windows and patterns. Will circle back on this later.
  • SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    edited January 2020
    @ciane, That's funny because I tried all those same wallpapers you did too and thought, oh I like that but that's for another train another time, not this one, lol.

Boy, it's really hard to find just the right window, ya know? I like the looks of the Lunette window, but it sits kinda high for seating, and I like the height of that futuristic window, but I don't like the looks of it. And the Bauhaus tainted windows have too many panes, lol.

So here's one more option and then I'll be done, lol. It's the windows from Uni, and the height and where it sits looks about right for table sitting, but does it look too much like a house window? And they also have the 1-tile version to put in the middle (for symmetrical spacing).

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

P5Zj9ak.jpg

dkKqM10.jpg
    edited January 2020
    @Sandraelle -Yes, too much like house windows. I think it'll have to be Bauhaus windows. I like the horizontal triple pane ones. I'll take a picture and post after loading my game.

screenshot-3-e1577882929923.jpg

There's also the triple pane option, so mixing and matching is perfect and all the bauhaus windows are available separately from the store.
    screenshot-4.jpg
    This triple pane choice was one of the first ones @romagi1 shared.

Scratch that. They are from RH!

Another choice would be to add a step up inside to elevate the seating area while keeping the look of the Linear Lunette window.
    Post edited by ciane on
    edited January 2020
    Okay, here's more windows. What do you think?
    screenshot-5-e1577884779797.jpg

screenshot-7-e1577887141303.jpg

screenshot-8-e1577887105885.jpg

All these windows are obtainable from the store (or are already in game for the narrow 2-tile windovation).

The square India inspired one shows separately here:
    https://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:49611
    Post edited by ciane on
    edited January 2020
    Okay this is a really rough draft of the world. I have place holders to suggest which part is London and Paris. I was able to fit all of Venice's main island on a corner of the map so I could still do the train approaching across the little islands. Once we figure out the lot sizes for the London area I can fill in the other side with hills so you can't see London from Venice. None of the sculpting is final, it's a starting point. It's as much as I could do before my daughter woke this morning.

Let me know what you think of the layout. I have the full length of the River Thames on the map, so the London Area is a little bit bigger than Venice. We can visually block of the parts we don't use, or I can enlarge the river and use less of it. Whatever works.

I can take more screenshots later, but it's easier to see how it will look by loading it up. (It's CC-free, I use seperate folders for CAW, building and playing) http://www.simfileshare.net/download/1539622/
    c74b5e59a2572422c12fe656a5939a3f3bcfc817.png
    Venice from Map View
    c891e09c354985796ca8bc8e52cd9965c28236b5.jpg
    Venice from Train lot sim view
    77d2627f605ced8a34ce4adac3b1e7a5650e2934.png
    Paris from Map View
    730714b276c43d3fa6e6d2f46447a7d08111551a.jpg
    Paris from sim view
    9d4a83261625cbcd6c8271215966a37c4d2bdfef.png
    London's river Thames roughed in
    6078dc1d9d95f695522bdfe7381770be35784737.png
    heightmap

This version has hills as map edges for London and Paris, I could try an island version with hills in the center instead.
    Post edited by Jessabeans on
    Now being a CAW builder, I am in awe.
  • romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
    edited January 2020
    @ciane, I tried all those window except the India one. Tried the Zen but not India. LOL I'll have to go try it.

I had tried those windows too Sandy and thought house window but after staring at the pic of the blue car and trying to figure out why the windows all look so big inside the car and so small on the outside, I changed a few things and tried those windows again. Not really a fan of the crank on the window but… I still went 22 tiles long because I'm not liking changing the window size and I didn’t see the small round windows on this one so I skipped those.

Blue car

hztHDYR.jpg
    8ohTKvV.jpg

Notice how the bottom of the door is not at the bottom of the train? So I added a 2 step frieze to raise the floor on the inside but let the outside look taller. The frieze could probably be a step or 2 taller considering where it hits the guy standing there. I didn't have a sim on the lot to check the height. Played with the wall paper some more and came up with this…

outside
    8j88ZEu.jpg

Inside
    Yc7OM56.jpg
    Woot! @Jessabeans I'll have to get that loaded and take a look around!
    This was the India windows on the outside:

screenshot-10-e1577888461607.jpg?resize=219%2C219

And on the inside:

screenshot-9.jpg?resize=219%2C219

I also tried adding a platform inside to raise tables and seating for the other windows, but I didn't think it helped enough.

screenshot-14.jpg?resize=219%2C219

I like the lower lines on that wallpaper @romagi1. It works well with the taller windows.
    LOL @ciane, I tried the platform first too but I don't like the way it works with doors and also didn't think it made enough difference. So I rebuilt with the frieze hoping the taller window would look better.
    edited January 2020
    ciane wrote: »
    Now being a CAW builder, I am in awe.

That's awesome! When I get a little further along with it I'll share the CAW files so you can play around with ideas too.

I have a pretty clear idea for the Paris layout, and hope to do more on it this week. I just want to double check that the world layout will work for everyone before I put too many lots and decorations in. I'm packing up the french lots I've built in another world to move into this one once it's to that point.
    paris-top-tourist-attractions-map-07-fun-locations-to-go-with-kids-children.jpg
    I put the eiffel tower on the wrong side of the river this morning, so it's a little backwards. I have it all turned around, I kept moving the areas trying to fit venice.

river-thames-map.jpg
    Be thinking about what London Landmarks we would want to build so I can plan the rabbitholes/bar lots around where they should go on the river. I left little indentations where RL bridges would go along the river, but it's going to be up to where the roads are.

489b3c46fcc55bfd107691de9378bbce.jpg
    Same for Venice as far as deciding which landmarks to include and fill in from there, I have all the minor alleys but once I start drawing some of the lots I may level them off to make the lots bigger. I haven't tried drawing out any there, just wanted to have the RL canals in as a starting point.

romagi1 wrote: »
    Woot! @Jessabeans I'll have to get that loaded and take a look around!

Great! Let me know if you think the size/location will work. I only put in a few lots and decorations to mark which area is which. The London area will have mountains on the other side of it once I draw in some lots to figure out how much to leave flat. The hospital rabbit hole is on a 40x40 lot to give an idea how big/small the river currently is. Do you think it works or should be bigger so there is more room for lots along it?

Also, I drew the train lot approaching venice on top of the decorative track. Will it line up building on top of it? I tried to center the lot on it, which made the track go all wonky again but I can move it or the islands to line it back up. I can just have the track leaving the station lot if the track doesn't work. I think I can sink it a little deeper into the ground if it comes up too high. I had to draw the lot bigger 30x30 to center it on the track, I don't know if that will make a difference. I know you all were planning on smaller lots.

@soocoolsim I'm not sure where the chunnel entrance is supposed to be in relation to london as far as where to place the decorative tracks. I see in your sketch that you want the train station to be just on the outskirts of the little town sections, so I was going have the tracks go through the 'wilderness' areas between the cities. Would you want to have a few more train lots off by themselves for mid-journey storytelling? There should be a valley or two once I get the other hills in. I guess I should start a lot count, I think worlds are supposed to have around 100 lots or less and the trains are 21 lots for 3 stations and trains.
    04-orient-express.jpg
    I've been trying to look out the windows of the train interior pictures, and I'm seeing a lot of meadows.
    orient-express-tr.jpg?fit=crop&crop=faces
    Or there are some areas where the train is fairly tight against mountains.
    2017112910182664569.jpg
    I'm not sure where this is, but it could be an interesting mid-way point. It could be Zurich, and I guess that's a different line.

I'm sorry I keep thinking of stuff and editing this post.
    Post edited by Jessabeans on
    @Jessabeans, I haven't had a chance to DL the world yet, but kudos to you for doing this!

@ciane and @romagi, LOL, I discovered the platform with the lunette window didn't make enough difference either, as that window still sits too high for seating. And I don't care for the floor to ceiling windows. And some windows just really mess up the spacing/placement, especially since we need to take into consideration the other side of the train where you will have walls for the sleeping rooms possibly interfering, and the arrangement Rox did and the fact that these are single grid windows allows for walls to be added anywhere.

Rox, I think the extra tile length from 21 to 22 is what we need to make it even and those Uni windows really do have the perfect height on the bottom. But it looks much better on yours when you have them recolored the same as the train walls; the frame doesn't stand out as much as "house" windows, lol. But I wish we could get rid of those inside cranks, argh!

I think we have a winner maybe?

The only thing that bugs me is that we can't get rid of that very bottom trim to make it blue. But I guess we can't get it exactly right. Wonder how far Paula got last night? We will be driving her nuts when she comes back to read this thread, hehe.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVEWRYONE BY THE WAY!! :):p:D
    edited January 2020
    These are the different windows I tried. This is were the S4 ability to raise and lower the window height would be awesome.

qFyLh37.jpg

I changed the wall. Is this what you are thinking @Sandraelle?

sIU0Gxb.jpg
    Sandraelle wrote: »
    @Jessabeans, I haven't had a chance to DL the world yet, but kudos to you for doing this!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVEWRYONE BY THE WAY!! :):p:D

I am happy to participate. Happy New Year!

edited January 2020
    @romagi1 The first one, is that the storybrook window? Looks the best to me because it has the rounded top but the big ones still come down so low. The 4th one, is that the India set one? I think I still like the university windows best because they are a good height. I really wish we could move windows like in 4 too.

Has anyone tried CFE stacking two walls to put the window on a lower wall. I know people have done that for windows in sunken rooms. I don't know how it would work having two walls stacked as far as furnishing. http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=350293&page=1 I haven't tried anything with the train out yet.
    edited January 2020
    I think those are my fav so far. The Uni and the storybook. I took the gold fancy stuff off the trim of the storybook but Sandy is right about the single pane Uni window probably working better in the sleeping compartments. Haven't tried that yet.

I've never tried stacking windows.

NlY7BJd.jpg
    edited January 2020
    Funny I tried that storybook window at first too and I poo-pooed it because it has that ledge, but coloring it to the same color as the wall, it doesn't stand out as much. I just tried the storybook and the India one and those two are my favorite now, over the Uni windows. I used the wall with dado, chair rail, molding & baseboard and I like the way the gold trim lines up with the bottom of the India window (however this wall trim doesn't allow for your 2-step frieze Rox).

All 3 of these (uni, storybook & india) sit perfectly for table seating. I put the different colored floor tiles on the ground to show possible room sizes - four at 3-tiles wide and one at 4 tiles wide. (You could even use both - storybook on each end and the 3 india ones in the middle.)

Here's the storybook:
    zB3GPuw.jpg

And the india one:
    bhjg0IG.jpg

[quote="Jessabeans;

I have a pretty clear idea for the Paris layout, and hope to do more on it this week. I just want to double check that the world layout will work for everyone before I put too many lots and decorations in. I'm packing up the french lots I've built in another world to move into this one once it's to that point.
    paris-top-tourist-attractions-map-07-fun-locations-to-go-with-kids-children.jpg
    I put the eiffel tower on the wrong side of the river this morning, so it's a little backwards. I have it all turned around, I kept moving the areas trying to fit venice.

river-thames-map.jpg
    Be thinking about what London Landmarks we would want to build so I can plan the rabbitholes/bar lots around where they should go on the river. I left little indentations where RL bridges would go along the river, but it's going to be up to where the roads are.

489b3c46fcc55bfd107691de9378bbce.jpg
    Same for Venice as far as deciding which landmarks to include and fill in from there, I have all the minor alleys but once I start drawing some of the lots I may level them off to make the lots bigger. I haven't tried drawing out any there, just wanted to have the RL canals in as a starting point.
    [/quote]

Looking at this world I am in AWE of anyone that can work with CAW! I hadn't even thought about lot sizes or what would be at each city, was leaving that up to Paula! LOL

I love the little maps you found and if that is what you are working for they look fantastic!

@Jessabeans, You are a really fast worker, I can't believe you've thought this much out already! And you've already researched the different city maps and everything. Paula will be so impressed at your progress! I'd still be thinking of where I was going to put the first road, lol.
    Sandy if you think the sleeping compartments will work with the 2 tile wide windows then I'm good with the storybook or the India window.

I like the shape and width of the storybook and how it fits with the table on the inside.

jDGWjJe.jpg

But I like the extra height on the bottom of the train with the India. Tho if the frieze would be taller it might give the height needed to the storybook.

SkJbI5A.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top