Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

DU and Rotational Play

Those of you who play rotational and have Discover University, how well does it fit with your style of playing? Have you been able to play multiple students at the same time? How does switching during a term affect your progress?
Proud black simmer 🖤
MfVGMbL.jpg

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited December 2019
    First time I switched households, the family got glitched out and every now and then an additional degree will appear in someone’s family inventory. My Sim has like 7 Psychology degrees now. One even appeared in the inventory of the family I switched to.

That has made me nervous about switching if my Sim hasn’t actually earned their degree yet. So now I wait at least until the term is over or if my Sim graduates I wait until I receive the degree before I rotate to someone else.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    First time I switched households, the family got glitched out and every now and then an additional degree will appear in someone’s family inventory. My Sim has like 7 Psychology degrees now. One even appeared in the inventory of the family I switched to.

That has made me nervous about switching if my Sim hasn’t actually earned their degree yet. So now I wait at least until the term is over or if my Sim graduates I wait until I receive the degree before I rotate to someone else.
    This! I played three different university dorms (3 Sims) at once, and now I have never ending degrees spawning in the family inventory. I can only delete them with a mod (MCCC) too. If this “bug” gets fixed, I found rotating to work ok. I had one Sim graduate with an A+, one with an A-, and one with a B.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    It will match my kind of playing on rotation, but I will spend more days with the students than I normally do with any household. I play 60+ households, so I stop 1-3 simdays with half of them for each calendar year play through. Then I have aging on only or New Year's Eve.

For students, I tried playing two households at the same time, but it will work only if one household is "supposed to" get bad grades. It's not possible to pause one dorm while playing another, so during day hours classes, one had to be left all to its own. I attended that household at night to make sure homework and projects etc were done, and although I did not control the sim attending classes, it was possible to graduate with Honors. It did not add to my fun, though, so in the future I will only have one students household going.

I normally move my students into a common household before they enroll. This makes it quicker for me to wait for their acceptance letter, as it seems this action is based on played hours in the household. I let them prepare a bit while waiting to get enrolled and move onto a dorm.

DU works much better with my rotational play than I feared.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • oneseventyoneseventy Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm having some trouble figuring out how to manage my rotational style with University.

What I *want* to do is send a few teens from different families to go to University together as young adults. I tried to have each Sim apply to university right after aging up to YA at home, then move into the dorm; then I go back to play the next family and age up/apply/move in with the next Sim.

What has happened is that each of my Sims is on a different university term schedule, and the first ones I moved in have "missed" half their semester while I was on other lots waiting for applications to get approved. I've got Sims failing classes because I came back on a Friday and their term ended Tuesday but their Monday class didn't show up as the final exam D: D: D:

Does anyone have any tips for collecting multiple Sims to attend University together from different households? Do I need to move all my YAs into a placeholder household just long enough to apply, then move them all into the dorms on the same day??????

It's also disappointing to hear that it doesn't sound possible to play more than one dorm at a time :( :( It feels really disruptive that I need to go do the full university experience with a few Sims in order for them to have academic success, when it's otherwise very easy to juggle dozens of households without them losing school/work progress.
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    @Simmerville So if I had a group of sims I all wanted to go to one school, I should move them in together first, have them apply, and enroll them all at the same time?
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

citysimmer wrote: »
    @Simmerville So if I had a group of sims I all wanted to go to one school, I should move them in together first, have them apply, and enroll them all at the same time?

Yes, that's how I do it, mostly because the wait to get accepted seems shorter. If I recall correctly, you must still enroll them one by one (or bring them over to the dorm and cheat their enrolling), but if you switch between the two lots without running the dorm in live mode more than needed, you will easily get your group in before NPCs stars filling the dorm. Term will start for them all the next morning, about 8 AM I think, so there's plenty of time getting them all established. I found it easier to play a dorm when all start term the same day, but it could also be spread on different days.
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    citysimmer wrote: »
    Simmerville So if I had a group of sims I all wanted to go to one school, I should move them in together first, have them apply, and enroll them all at the same time?

Yes, that's how I do it, mostly because the wait to get accepted seems shorter. If I recall correctly, you must still enroll them one by one (or bring them over to the dorm and cheat their enrolling), but if you switch between the two lots without running the dorm in live mode more than needed, you will easily get your group in before NPCs stars filling the dorm. Term will start for them all the next morning, about 8 AM I think, so there's plenty of time getting them all established. I found it easier to play a dorm when all start term the same day, but it could also be spread on different days.

Awesome, thanks!
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Faust-RSIFaust-RSI Posts: 209 Member
    edited December 2019
    I have already posted this on EA bugs forum, but I can also repeat it here. Also, it would really help if everyone could go there and click the "Me too" button: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-DU-Rotational-gameplay-is-impossible-for-University/m-p/8525636#M114717

The text is here:

"This is a biggest and game-breaking bug of all for me in DU. I sent about 5-7 different families to University, but actively played only with one.

After the first "semester", I checked all the families. Some were doing pretty well, having grades from 4+ to 5 (this is the gradation in my game). But one family immediately was put under supervision (academic probation) for the bad grades, though this still lets the player to choose subjects for the next semester.

After the second semester, the grades dropped significantly, and the family under academic probation was kicked out of the University - though any family would stay forever if not visited by the player, only while visiting a family the process of leaving the university will begin, several other families were put under supervision (academic probation).

I decided to stop checking on them (though I wasn't saving the game during this checks) before my main family graduates. And after 2 of 3 members of my main family had graduated with honors and left, I checked other families.

I admit one member of the one family has graduated as well, though having really bad grades . All others were kicked out except for one that was put under supervision (this sim was a member of the same family which member somehow managed to graduate). I decided to help this one a bit and I have completed all the presentations and a paper work and then left for the last member of my main family.

Before the last 3 days, I checked the other family again and made sure its only member had attended all lectures. BUT. The exams in DU happens not on the LAST lecture of the last day (as it claims), but somewhat 2 or even 3 days before ending. So, when the member of this other family went for the REALLY last lecture on the LAST day of the semester, exam did not happen, it was a simple lecture (maybe this is yet another bug). And when the semester had ended, she got 2 for this subject, but more importantly, she got 2 for another and only two 4s for others despite I made sure she had completed every task!!!

I can only conclude the members of inactive families are skipping ALL the classes, despite sometimes they show up and go to them together with my active sims - the game just won't recognize this.

This expansion is seriously broken."
  • sinrasinra Posts: 72 Member
    I really wanted to send my heir's cousins and his childhood friend to university along with him, without having to control all of them, and just have them there with him for the ride, those intended UBrite being his roommates, the rest attending Foxbury.

And originally I had planned to have his brother attend Foxbury and just rotate control between the two since I specifically wanted to experience dorm life at both universities instead of living together off-campus, but after seeing the end results of similar concepts other players experienced I just sent my heir to Britechester by himself. Once he graduated I sent his brother to Foxbury. Those were very isolated times. And that's really sad. Especially because the game just generates random nobodies to attend university with our sims. Besides the npcs present in the university world, everyone else is just there because the game needs students. I would much rather see existing unplayed townies at my university. These random sims have no impact on me and leave no lasting impression. Seeing sims like Candy Behr or Cassandra Goth pursuing degrees would.

It's remarkable I got two sims through university without killing their roommates. Bugs and excessive behaviours of roommates aside, I would not be as tempted to strike Candy Behr with lightning over lobster thermidor as this sim I've never seen before who has about as much going for them as the set dressing houses in the distance.

The only rotational play I could manage was between terms. Just not enrolling for the next term right away if I intended to play another sim for a while, but even then I was afraid of switching households much, lest I encounter some glitch that breaks my students or other played sims.
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Indeed, DU is NOT for rotational players. After testing and trying everything the only way to use DU as a rotational player is: enroll only one sim and play it until you graduate. Done.

:|
  • HopeTahHopeTah Posts: 144 Member
    I only rotate to a different household after the current active sim has finished the term and not re-enrolled yet.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    HopeTah wrote: »
    I only rotate to a different household after the current active sim has finished the term and not re-enrolled yet.
    I did this too, but it still caused me to end up with the bug where deplomas spawn in the household inventories.
    Here is the report link for anyone else getting that bug https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-DU-Household-Inventory-if-filled-by-other-sims-diplomas/m-p/8458178
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I don't rotate when I have a sim studying at a uni. I don't want to have my sim to be on a probation.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I just got University but haven’t sent any Sims there yet be a they are not quite ready. After hearing about all the bugs, I think I will send a few sims at one time and then play them until they graduate and then send the next batch.

I am concerned about getting them all enrolled at the same time. Anyone work through that scenario??
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I just got University but haven’t sent any Sims there yet be a they are not quite ready. After hearing about all the bugs, I think I will send a few sims at one time and then play them until they graduate and then send the next batch.

I am concerned about getting them all enrolled at the same time. Anyone work through that scenario??

It's easy peasy enrolling them at the same time. You must enroll them one by one, but the first sim's first term won't start until next morning, the earliest. So you have several sim hours to gather them in say a dorm, and they will follow the same schedule. If they are friends, you can enroll the first and then invite the others over - and shift-click the others to get enrolled. Will be quicker if they have the needed relation.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »

It's easy peasy enrolling them at the same time. You must enroll them one by one, but the first sim's first term won't start until next morning, the earliest. So you have several sim hours to gather them in say a dorm, and they will follow the same schedule. If they are friends, you can enroll the first and then invite the others over - and shift-click the others to get enrolled. Will be quicker if they have the needed relation.

Awesome and thank you 😊