Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just a question... observation....

I have played sims since the beginning and just this year something occurred to me. We have the Menorah, Kwanzaa, but winterfest? why can we not have Christmas if we can have the others? We now have such diversity and are able to create it in our games, why omit this one thing? It boggles the mind.

Comments

• Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Good observation! Honestly, I don't know why they'd omit Christmas.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Chinese New Year too! I do miss Santa Claus arriving in Sims 1 if you left out the cookies! He should have come with DU if it is set with the UK background.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited November 2019
    I think the Sims 4 team wants to avoid juggling with the major religions/faiths which are often volatile topics in the real world. Muslims, for instance, don't celebrate Christmas - a default Christian holiday could be viewed as that the game does not embrace their faith equally.

I believe it's a well thought out political move. We have things to support all religions/faiths in the game as it is - that is very likely the reason holidays are customizable and not set in stone. Think the big picture here - keeping the peace.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    peragogoperagogo Posts: 223 Member
    What are you missing in order to have Christmas? 🤨
  • Options
    LadyTigressLadyTigress Posts: 183 Member
    You have a christmas tree and present piles in Build Mode, seasons added a calendar, you can add christmas so what exactly are you missing to have Christmas in your game?
  • Options
    We have Love Day, Harvestfest, Winterfest and New Year's Eve. All pretty neutral in terms of names. So, why suddenly put in a specifically Christian default holiday? No, we get to do that ourselves, so that it fits us precisely as we want it to. The four default ones are also easily deleted or altered.

• Options
    asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    We have different items that can be used for different holidays for different faiths, if that's what you choose to do. The game is made generic so that we can create our own holidays, such as Christmas. There's a Christmas tree, a present pile, Santa arrives in the evening, and you can even sing something that sounds very similar to Jingle Bells. You can even change the name in the holiday to Christmas if that's what you want to do. They omit all specifically religion based names, and just provide different items - so I have a few random Hijab wearing townies. People can create a sim following Islam if they want to, some items are included, but they don't include Ramadan or anything specific, in the same way that don't include 'Christmas'. I like the way they do it, it enables us to customise our own holidays, for whoever plays.
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,448 Member
    Also, you *can* rename holidays I believe. So just rename Winterfest to Christmas. And Harvestfest could be renamed Halloween or Thanksgiving.
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    You could even get really creative and possibly make the Esbats and Sabbats of the Wiccan Calendar-Yule, Samhain,Imbolc,Beltane and so forth along with the seasonal equinoxes.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    Starfree wrote: »
    Also, you *can* rename holidays I believe. So just rename Winterfest to Christmas. And Harvestfest could be renamed Halloween or Thanksgiving.

It wasn't a thing before Seasons.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited November 2019
    Christmas is a Christian holiday, and religion and such is a tricky subject, so they took stereotypical Christmas and changed it to Winterfest. You can change the name of the holiday, or add other holidays if you want. I added Freedom Day,/to replace the 4th of July.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I have played sims since the beginning and just this year something occurred to me. We have the Menorah, Kwanzaa, but winterfest? why can we not have Christmas if we can have the others? We now have such diversity and are able to create it in our games, why omit this one thing? It boggles the mind.

Yup! Winterfest should be named Christmas.
  • Options
    Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member

The Menorah, and the Kwanzaa candle are objects, just as the Winterfest Tree is. Kwanzaa and Hanukkah weren't put on the Calendar by the devs, tho. You can customize the Event Activities for many religious holidays, such as Attend A Service, Remembrance, etc, but those other Holidays are not actually named in the Calendar, either. So why should Christmas be named as a default holiday, and no other religions? Winterfest can be done even if you aren't a member of a religious group, just as people who are not religious decorate a tree. So in my thought that is why it is done that way by the devs. Since you can make your own Holiday, the possibilities are endless, instead of forcing one particular religion.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I never understood why people are so afraid of the holidays & cultures.
    Valentine's Day is a nice reminder to show your loved ones how much you care.
    Easter is about rebirth, renewal, reviving & life.
    Canada Day is about being happy about living in your country.
    Thanksgiving is about being thankful for what you've been given.
    Halloween is a fun time to wear a lovely, funny, cool, weird or scary costume.
    Remembrance Day is to remember our fallen heroes.
    Christmas is a time of peace, love, sharing, caring, giving & having fun.
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    you... you have every opportunity to make winterfest christmas... there are christmas trees and decorations and traditions that are entirely available. what are you trying to argue??
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    just rename it
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited November 2019
    As others said, just rename it, that's what the options are there for. I honestly don't mind either way, but I would love if it would be possible to have an option to set holidays as "active household only" while creating them. This way, you could have one family celebrating Ramadan, for example, without all your other households you might be playing with celebrating it as well.

I am actually glad the devs stayed as neutral as possible with the holidays, without getting too religious. Atheists exist, you know? The same for national holidays that aren't celebrated outside North America. As a European, Harvestfest for example, which is most likely based on Thanksgiving, is such a weird concept for me, since we don't really celebrate it here. We do have a similar holiday here, but most families don't celebrate it. I constantly see myself removing Harvestfest because it's a too foreign concept for me.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey folks so I want to reiterate what we've said in similar threads to this, discussion here needs to stay game related. As per the forum rules Religious discussion isn't allowed so let's keep things game specific here okay.
  • Options
    CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    Christmas has nothing to do with religion EA_Rtas. And yes we have a tree, presents, etc. I was just wondering why it is called winterfest. Legitimate question.
  • Options
    alyssa123 wrote: »
    you... you have every opportunity to make winterfest christmas... there are christmas trees and decorations and traditions that are entirely available. what are you trying to argue??

Not argue, just wondered is all. It never really occurred to me that it was a PC thing. I don't know why not either as in my work I must remain neutral.
  • Options
    I did not mean to ruffle feathers here guys. Mea Culpa
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    @CalebFillion Christmas is a Christian holiday:

Read here

The reason why there is no Christmas, Easter or whatever, in the game, I and others already explained previously in this thread.

• Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I almost always rename Winterfest to Christmas. It's easy enough to do that.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    For the same reason Harvest Fest isn‘t called Thanksgiving. What am I as an non-American supposed to do with an American holiday? As others said, just rename it. It‘s best to keep holidays neutral and give the players the option to rename it and change its traditions and activities.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I like the fact that we can customise holidays to our liking. I don't think we could at all in previous games so it's great that we can edit or delete the default ones or create our own.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.