Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Developers should play the game they're developing.

DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
edited November 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Anybody start noticing how (most/some) developers admit to not playing the game? That would explain a lot as to why certain things deliver, are either not to their potential or questionable in design. As of recent streams (the stuff pack pole or discover university), it becomes appearant they don't play the game, which if they did - these mistakes wouldn't and possible never happen again. Now we're asked to vote for a theme of a stuff pack, with most concepts of listed content already existing, we'll be getting:
  • Haunted House lot trait that already exists with slight string difference in CL.
  • Self-care can feel like incomplete if you don't have fitness stuff pack.
  • Science not bundled in GTW to accomadate Science career?
A few of these are one of five bulletin points.... Looks mild mishap, but when you look at the volume, it's three concept choices for a pack. That pretty much leaves arts&crafts and fun-tech new takes for TS4, but even the latter will likely end up being a pack for video game consoles (which we already have). So every concept choice for pack already exist in one form or another from what we have now.

Then there stuff that will be obsolete, in addition things from UL. With these leading to conclusion that the team are clueless in designing meaningful features, furthermore verifying its because they don't play the game:
  • Vegan trait, just like vegetarian, is poor choice for a trait and are better off belonging in a dedicated diet system. Sims should developed it based how often they eat meat/diary-free products or build according to players commands. I recall reports of vegeterian being bugged/underdevelop where Sims with it willingly make and consume meat products despite feeling ill afterwards. If that's still the case and applied to both traits, that leaves them broken in terms of practicality. Now if it caused a Sim to boast about being vegan, and as a results dips relationship with everyone in AOF, that would make it worth while for comedic relief.
  • How is creating toilet stalls the size of double beds is practical for building public bathrooms? For how I see it, I would never used them in builds when I can achieve it better with 1x1 toilets and surrounding them in 1x2 rooms.
  • Floralorial/Scubero are pointless when it an affects single item, oppose to just normally tending/cleaning many items at once. Is there even point of using these powers when moral Sims can complete these task faster normally lol.
  • Graduating university is essentially another way of earning money, than having a long term effect (past game takes at least offered a new want slot & slot, or additional traits on top of 5 max cap).
  • Because of how it easy to become rich in the game, the repoman hardly penalize the player because of how you have to try it for happen because of lame circumstance that been put to trigger its visit.

Many more examples I wait, since I'm tired of listen them today. I feel like of as a lately, as of the title, its the reason the game-play suffers as a whole. Anything regardless in what game industry you are, you should at least be well versed and do your homework, by playing the game you're at work to create for a living. Because if you're throwing random stuff in it, without actually reading into the product you're making, you end up doing a bad fan-service for being out-of-touch of what the community wants from you.
NNpYlHF.jpg
Post edited by DragonCat159 on

Comments

• NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Wow, I had no idea there could be anything so inept going on, as devs who don't play the actual game. There's no industry in which that's a good idea: to develop a product you've never used. What the actual plum.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited November 2019
    I get that it's their job and they might not want to play it outside of work, but it does seem sometimes like they don't even play it at work. That University livestream was a mess and it really showed that the woman in control of the keyboard and mouse, barely played, if at all. This does leave them very out of touch and when they play and play test (as they should) they should also test with other packs installed. People are reporting that Uni and Seasons don't work together? How was that missed? If it was intended then it should have been said previously.

It was frustrating when ROM came out, the gurus said before the pack launched, that you could sell potions. Launch day: potions worth zero. How did that get missed when it was directly asked and responded to? Do they talk without knowing (which is just as bad) or do they really miss these things because they aren't playing?

It also baffles me when you go to the bug reports and see them asking for saves because they can't replicate it. I literally know of no one who has the potions of immortality working in their games for example. No one. Every sim dies of old age when they shouldn't, yet they're asking for saves because they can't replicate it?

The always drinking water bug that was "fixed" last patch was fixed for about a day in my game too, then it came right back. They really need to spend more time playing to see if things are working or fixed. They might spend some time, but it's not enough and it shows.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    It is very strange how readily they admit that they don’t play the game. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Say that you don’t ever use the product in any other job and your boss might look at you funny.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2019
    They don't have to admit it; it's obvious. When you look at a sim like Judith Ward who is nigh unplayable due to her celebity perks, you have the feeling that none of them have a player's perspective.
    Want to play 'the villain'? Everybody harasses you for an autograph or a picture. Want to go to a dance party? Everybody stops and watch her for like 2 hours straight. So go to a dance party in disguise? Everybody stops to gossip about her while she IS NOT supposed to be a celebrity at that moment.
    I'm ok if they would miss some niche bugs, but things like that, that you experience on your first sim day, and are still present one year in, I mean come on...
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Seems quite obvious to me that these devs don't play the game at all. Not even old devs like Grant or Graham. If they actually DID play, I'm betting they would wait for sales for their DL content too.

The only thing I see "pushed"/important in this iteration is the beauty of the worlds. The lighting. Etc.

Aside from that, this game offers little. They made the claim that it would suit rotational play better. It does not. Far from it.

Whoever they are, they let go of the good when they put Sims 2 to bed. 3 and 4 are awful to play and get entranced in.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    No. Sims 4 is the problem. Sims 3 is played and loved by plenty of simmers to this day. It may not be for you, but that doesn’t happen to an awful game they stopped developing five years ago.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    That's what I've been saying for the longest... They don't even play the game they are making....I'm sorry..but we need a new team that has ACTUALLY played.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    No. Sims 4 is the problem. Sims 3 is played and loved by plenty of simmers to this day. It may not be for you, but that doesn’t happen to an awful game they stopped developing five years ago.

Sims 4 is played and loved by plenty of simmers too. Neither 3 or 4 is good imo. Once they let go of the AI behind the scenes and went with "moodlets" it was trashed.

One thing 3 taught me was that nothing they add can make it good if it's not good at the base. Same for 3. Same for 4.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited November 2019
    I think it's because of a combination of a tight release schedule, limited budget, old coding from 2013 and too many packs to keep track of. They do not have the time to go through and play all the packs, once a feature have been greenlit, they are probably spending loads of time going through all the thousands of xml files to make sure that this new feature does not conflict with something else in the game.

I highly suspect the reason why they do not play the game, or go back and fix old bugs is because they are more focused on finishing it and are not getting rewarded for going back. They don't want to spend time playtesting the game, checking features, going back through thousands of xml files and fine tune them. They rather want to work on finishing their deadlines until the pack is finished.

There is a good story about the E3 presentation of Anthem, the devs was so rushed to put everything together that when they watched it at the E3 presentation, that was when they finally was able to see how it worked when all of it was put together.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Sims 4 is played and loved by plenty of simmers too. Neither 3 or 4 is good imo. Once they let go of the AI behind the scenes and went with "moodlets" it was trashed.

One thing 3 taught me was that nothing they add can make it good if it's not good at the base. Same for 3. Same for 4.
    I genuinely doubt Sims 4 will be played five years after they will have stopped developing for it, but time will tell. Its main charm seems to be new and shiny stuff that wears off after a couple of weeks. It’s actually Sims 3’s basegame that saves some of the flaws in clearly rushed packs.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    In other professions, employees are required to be familiar with everything about the product they are making, selling, or supporting. Nobody would by a lawnmower or refrigerator from someone who had no idea how to use it, what the features did, or how it even worked. It's a basic job requirement for anything, yet nobody in this company (all the way to the top) seems to care the least.

In gaming companies that do, it shines out of the work they do, and shows in such a way that customers know it.
    They don't ever need to be told.

The difference resonates loudly with The Sims, most especially Sims 4.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I think a game dev should be a fan of and play the games they make. Cities Skylines devs play their games, my Husband plays the games he makes. Devs that do are more likely to understand what does and doesn’t work as a player, what’s enjoyable and what isn’t. After learning from Carl’s latest video that in order to craft some of the robots you need 99 pieces of material that the player needs to click 99 x to specify the amount: That kind of thing tells me the sims team don’t play their own game.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I think a game dev should be a fan of and play the games they make. Cities Skylines devs play their games, my Husband plays the games he makes. Devs that do are more likely to understand what does and doesn’t work as a player, what’s enjoyable and what isn’t. After learning from Carl’s latest video that in order to craft some of the robots you need 99 pieces of material that the player needs to click 99 x to specify the amount: That kind of thing tells me the sims team don’t play their own game.

Kinda wish I was working for them. I've been a fan since the very first...and I would play the game (like I do in real life) ALL the time...plus I think I'd know more of what the community wants...-shrug- Ah well...
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I haven't been paying attention to the devs lately but I definitely don't think it's too much to ask that they play the game they make. Even though it may not be at the top of their to do list since they make it but it would help them get a better understanding of what the players are talking about, especially with some of the complaints that have existed since the base game.

Also, I can't remember how true it is that they don't do what I'm about to mention but regardless I think it's worth mentioning that when testing a new pack it should be thoroughly tested with not just the base game but the other packs as well.

I also think that if they aren't they should start playing the older games as well to understand where some of the complaints stem from. Some of us aren't simply averse to change, hating to be hating, or feeling nostalgic. We still play the previous games and clearly some things in game 3 or 2 or 1 were done better so why would we not want the series to do those things as good or even better than the best so far?
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited November 2019
    Floralorial/Scubero are pointless when it an affects single item, oppose to just normally tending/cleaning many items at once. Is there even point of using these powers when moral Sims can complete these task faster normally lol.

What does this mean?
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I think TS4 is the only iteration that the devs didn't care about. I mean how can they? The base engine is so weak, it wouldn't allow them to add anything fun and creative. If I were a dev for the game, I wouldn't care about it either.

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    i fully disagree with everything said in this thread but i will say this if you hate the sims4 so much then why are you playing the sims4 then if its only to critic after?
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    Wow, I had no idea there could be anything so inept going on, as devs who don't play the actual game. There's no industry in which that's a good idea: to develop a product you've never used. What the actual plum.

Actually that is bogus - they aLL get a copy of the games for free. If they didn't know the game - they couldn't make it as they decide what is in the game.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

i fully disagree with everything said in this thread but i will say this if you hate the sims4 so much then why are you playing the sims4 then if its only to critic after?

To give feedback so that the devs don't make the same mistakes with TS5.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member

well i see no mistakes in the sims4 and have you ever tough that the sims5 might be like the sims4 @ClarionOfJoy most games these days are micro transaction where missing content must be bough as dlc or from a online store in this case origin the gaming industrie changes and if gaming industries decided that adding missing content has buyable dlc is the way to go these days unless they change for sims5 but on this i have doubt so will have to wait and see
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    edited November 2019

well i see no mistakes in the sims4 and have you ever tough that the sims5 might be like the sims4 @ClarionOfJoy most games these days are micro transaction where missing content must be bough as dlc or from a online store in this case origin the gaming industrie changes and if gaming industries decided that adding missing content has buyable dlc is the way to go these days unless they change for sims5 but on this i have doubt so will have to wait and see

Yeah right....you're just making things up. You can't assume that they will add all those things to TS5. Why make that stuff up? To discourage any hope in TS5? So that I'll cling to the sorry garbage that TS4 is? No thank you.

This is another reason why I hate TS4 so much. The psychological abuse of its players thinking nothing can get better - that all we have is TS4 and should just accept it. Yuck.

We NEVER had that attitude with TS1 through TS3 and I wouldn't want it for TS5.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,810 Member
    edited November 2019
    Deleted
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member

Yeah right....you're just making things up. You can't assume that they will add all those things to TS5. Why make that stuff up? To discourage any hope in TS5? So that I'll cling to the sorry garbage that TS4 is? No thank you.

This is another reason why I hate TS4 so much. The psychological abuse of its players thinking nothing can get better - that all we have is TS4 and should just accept it. Yuck.

We NEVER had that attitude with TS1 through TS3 and I wouldn't want it for TS5.

You seem unable to grasp the concept that some players enjoy The Sims 4, myself included. And he/she wasn't assuming anything- they were simply giving a "what if" scenario, because yeah, it's possible for The Sims 5 to be a lot like The Sims 4. You have to accept that other people have different opinions, not go around and disrespectfully drag them down.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Seems quite obvious to me that these devs don't play the game at all. Not even old devs like Grant or Graham. If they actually DID play, I'm betting they would wait for sales for their DL content too.

The only thing I see "pushed"/important in this iteration is the beauty of the worlds. The lighting. Etc.

Aside from that, this game offers little. They made the claim that it would suit rotational play better. It does not. Far from it.

Whoever they are, they let go of the good when they put Sims 2 to bed. 3 and 4 are awful to play and get entranced in.
    Graham actually does play it because I have seen him play it on Twitch. He has streamed playing Sims 4 on console on Twitch before. He makes jokes that fans only watch him when he plays the Sims games but even then he doesn't get a lot of viewers despite announcing on Twitter when he streams. Both SimGuruGraham and SimGuruSteve helped play test for the BobSquad idle stream. Graham is actually a really good builder and he was quite impressed by the Go to School mod.

From what I've heard with the podcast, Grant seems he has some experience playing the Sims beyond just the Sims 4 and I remember him describing his play style here:

But yes with the livestream, being that SimGuruSteph was on maternity leave earlier this year I doubt with being a new mom playing the Sims 4 has been top priority for quite awhile with a new baby and all. Raising kids isn't easy since I've raised both my nephews and my sister-in-law is currently pregnant now. Funny how fan sites like to try to get rid of the Gurus that have actually played the game like SimGuruDrake and SimGuruKate. I have no idea if SimGuruFrost plays the game, but he tends to hide in the shadows and for good reason, since fan sites aren't the most LGBTQIA+ friendly. I do remember him on a livestream when he was working for Sims Mobile. He kind of reminded me of Izzy from the Sims Mobile. But yes I do there is a good group of Gurus who will play Destiny over the Sims and some enjoy Overwatch. Then again country that I live in fps and sports games are more popular than games with any real story to them these days, so not shocked they are with the Gurus too. I do think Gurus should at least try to play once a month at least the game they are making outside of work just so they have a better understanding of what the game is really like without developer cheats.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I do sort of put this on EA though, they should be making sure these dev's have time to play the game and play test it properly. I don't know how much I'd want to play it outside of work if that's what I did all day either so I really don't blame them if they chose to play other games.

I do expect them to do it, and they should do it so they can see where we are all coming from, but EA should be making sure that they have time for it in a work day too. Broken packs at launch tell me that they're not getting near enough play testing time. Bugs and glitches should happen later, not in a fresh save on launch day. If I can find them within an hour of playing, there's no way some of that stuff should have been missed. :/
    Origin ID: Peapod79
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top