Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The two underrated packs that I can't go without

Get Together
People like saying that GT only brings clubs and Windenburg, and beyond that it's relatively useless. I don't use clubs much either, but it's absolutely great when you want to make a more lively world, add drama etc. It's also nice to set sims up romantically (ex. meeting sims and having a natural way to hang out with them), and you can make pseudo bands with it. It really becomes fun when playing challenges: factions, tribes, cliques etc. Clubs also integrate FANTASTICALLY with other packs: sororities with uni, covens and packs with Vamps/ROM etc. Whenever a group feature isn't included in a pack, it's often possible to mimick/create it with GT.

I use the Windenburg private island more than almost any other neighborhood in any world, and that's not even touching how beautiful and versatile the rest of the world is. Since there are so many areas, it's lovely for me to pretend it's 1820 and my vampire is prowling the streets of London near the ruins, or my sim is someone in a Jane Austen novel living in the rural countryside.

The clubs and world isn't what qualifies GT as one of my most-used packs, though. It's:
  • Nightclubs. My sims love dancing in the nightclubs I build for them. Going out and doing something on a community lot makes the game feel more alive and hustling to me, otherwise I get bored. Nightclubs also offer a destination for sims to get romantic ;)
  • Cafés. Even though I don't visit café lots much, I basically put the barista station in my every library and some other lots as well. All the nice coffees and pastries make me feel cozy when my sim is enjoying it amongst books, as an energy booster before work, while looking out over the garden etc.
  • Bar activities. Bars are super boring without things like darts, foosball etc bc there just isn't much to do otherwise. I use GT activities in every single hangout I build.
  • The build/buy. It's so versatile and an absolute necessity when building in an older style in any world. There are some great modern stuff too, though! Far from a one-trick pony.

Dine Out
Restaurants are the non-residential lot type I use the most, hands down. The types of restaurants I can make are endless (various levels of fancy, seafood or vegetarian, sandwhich shacks, pie holes, pizzerias, old-fashioned breakfast bistros etc), and every single building lends a completely different feeling to a restaurant with the same menu. Chatting over a meal is a great way to get to know sims, go on dates, hang out on your own etc. AND, the most important of all: restaurants are probably the most versatile lot type.
Bowling & Ice cream; Skating & Alien fruit tarts; Arcade & Grilled cheese; Tea and Scones in a Botanical Garden; Experimental/Asian food and Spa etc. I've been working on a fancy hotel that functions as a restaurant, spa and place to vacation at. Restaurants are the kings of community lots, imo, and it's sad that it's so overlooked.

What is your opinion? Do you adore any overlooked packs?

Comments

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    edited November 2019
    I love Get Together too and use it in every save. Windenberg is a bewutiful world.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Get Together is ok, but Dine Out is so buggy that it should be retired unless it's fixed.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I love Get Together.
    Windenburg is wonderful and it's turning out to be an extension of Britechester for me as I am putting in a huge dorm there and I will probably experiment with a fraternity house and sorority house there in the future.

The club feature is great for creating social groups and giving them locations to hangout.
    It allows me some control over social dynamics in my game.

I am really enjoying Parenthood too.
    I started seriously playing my sims now that we have University. I like working on the parent's parenting skills and the children's character values.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I do enjoy GT more than I thought it would.

My personal underrated pack that I'm really glad I got early on is Cool Kitchen. It's not a big pack but I'm a builder and I use so many things from it in builds that I'd be lost without, honestly (I tried without it and ... no).
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited November 2019
    I love the city of windenburg. Did not enjoy the other parts of gt as much though. I never use done out because it takes too much time. Had a SIM nearly starve to death waiting on someone to bring his food out. I gave up after that.

My personal underrated pack would be romantic garden stuff. I use the plants nearly every build
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Sorry for grammar and typos. On my phone and it likes to change words and tenses on me randomly
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    GT is still my favorite pack in the game. I can’t play without it

I know that My First Pet Stuff is disliked a lot (and with good reasons), but i actually really like it :sweat_smile: I do agree that it should’ve been released with Cats & Dogs though
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    I mean come on, easy picks those two! GT is by far my favorite EP for both the neighbourhood and the insane amount of (expanding with every pack) possibilities of the club system. I really give an A+ for the effort on that one. Maybe my fav sim EP of all time...
    Dine out, as much as I love it, and I really do, I barely ever go to the restaurant again, let alone run one. As much as I love the parenthood gamepack, it was the one to introduce wierd behaviours in Dine Out, taking away a lot of the immersion I had running a restaurant.

Good Timer 'till death >:)
  • munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    I bought GT originally only for the world. But when i realised it came with clubs? hoo boy, it changed my game in a way nothing else has! wowee
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    GT is my favorite pack. When TS5 gets released I’ll be on this forum and cry „wHeRe Is ThE cLuB sYsTeM fRoM TS4?!?!!!“ 24/7. GT truly deserves the title „expansion pack“ imo.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Get Together and Dine Out are some of my favourite packs too. I thought GT was fairly liked although not as popular as Seasons for example. DO has received some complaints but those seem to be mainly about owning the restaurant. I've never tried that, just enjoy visiting them. The amount of restaurants in my game is nearing ten and they're all different.
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    Get Together and Dine Out are some of my favourite packs too. I thought GT was fairly liked although not as popular as Seasons for example. DO has received some complaints but those seem to be mainly about owning the restaurant. I've never tried that, just enjoy visiting them. The amount of restaurants in my game is nearing ten and they're all different.

Yeah, I don't ever own them either - just build them and then visit. I don't really experience bad waiting times in my game, so I'm lucky there I guess :smiley:
  • AgrestAgrest Posts: 28 Member
    I was hesitant about getting GT at first, thought I wouldn't care much about the club feature, but it's definitely a very useful and well made pack. Not only are the features useful, but the world is beautiful, love the build/buy stuff as well as cas stuff, and even the premade builds and townies are very nice too.
    As for DO it was one of the first packs I got and restaurants are probably my most visited public lots.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited November 2019
    I love Dine Out and I've never had any big problems with it. The only thing I remember that was buggy was when Clara Bjergsen stole my Sims' dinner. I just went to build & buy mode and stole it back.
    I guess it's more buggy if you actually run the restaurant. I did it only once when Dine Out was released, but I figured I like more being a customer. I love placing a lot of different restaurants to different worlds and my Sims love to visit them.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I just went to build & buy mode and stole it back.

This must be the best response :D
    I couldn't play without Get Together. I use it's features all the time and Windenburg is my all-time favourite world (with Brindleton Bay as a close second, tying with Britechester). I've never had problems with Dine Out either, both visiting and owning a restuarant <3

*All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • MollyneonfoxMollyneonfox Posts: 11 New Member
    GT definitely deserves more love. I don't know what I would do without Windenburg!
  • imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I love Get Together, it’s my favorite pack. I also use Bowling Stuff a lot for CAS items and, well, bowling. And Vintage Glamour for Butlers.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited November 2019
    Do people say that? I thought Get Together was one of the most fullest EP's to date. The feature of clubs is great then you have the night clubs, sims inviting your sims out, two woohoo spots, new food and drinks, New skills like dj'ing and dancing an amazing CAS with build/buy as well and a huge world. I know some don't like that party aspect, but definitely one of the best EP's to date along with Seasons IMO. There's still things being added onto the club feature with almost every pack that comes out and that's just awesome.

Dine out definitely has it's problems, but it is one of my favorites since sims can eat out with friends, family or go on dates, plus they can be customized from what sims come there to wear to the menu's as well as what staff wears. Anything I can customize things in the sims is A o.k with me.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Fallenxroses7Fallenxroses7 Posts: 92 Member
    For me it's Island Living. People say it lacked gameplay but it's really a must have for me! I can't play without mermaids or the odd-jobs. Not to mention it had some really pretty cas and build/buy!!!
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Windenburg is fine, but I wish it would have come in a pack that... had more of a concise theme. I never use the clubs, the cafes, the dance skill annoys me because literally every. single. sim. gets it.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I love Get Together! I held out for a really long time as I didn’t really understand what it was all about. So happy I finally got it, though! I also really love all of the new photography options from Moschino Pack. It’s fun to fill my Simmie’s houses with all kinds of family photos.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Is Dine Out underrated? But .. but ... I love DO. I honestly wouldn't want to play without it!!

My two underrated packs would be ..........

Strangerville
    I just love it! I have gotten so many hours of use and fun out of this pack, it's ridiculous. I mean I couldn't play my military academy without it right. It's one of the best non-active careers we have, I love playing in Strangerville & I enjoyed the mystery (twice). The atmosphere of the town is just so different and fun from the rest. It's really one of my favorites!

City Living
    I know it gets a lot of hate but I really adore CL and am so glad it's there. It's not my favorite EP - those would still be Seasons & GF, maybe also DU now - but it's right up there. Could I play without it? Yeah maybe I guess. But I definitely wouldn't want to! I love the city, the BB, the introduction of semi-active careers, its lot traits, the apartments, etc. If anything I think DU took a lot of inspiration from it. Even improved on it in many respects, but that doesn't make me love CL any less! :)
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited November 2019
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Is Dine Out underrated? But .. but ... I love DO. I honestly wouldn't want to play without it!!

My two underrated packs would be ..........

Strangerville
    I just love it! I have gotten so many hours of use and fun out of this pack, it's ridiculous. I mean I couldn't play my military academy without it right. It's one of the best non-active careers we have, I love playing in Strangerville & I enjoyed the mystery (twice). The atmosphere of the town is just so different and fun from the rest. It's really one of my favorites!

City Living
    I know it gets a lot of hate but I really adore CL and am so glad it's there. It's not my favorite EP - those would still be Seasons & GF, maybe also DU now - but it's right up there. Could I play without it? Yeah maybe I guess. But I definitely wouldn't want to! I love the city, the BB, the introduction of semi-active careers, its lot traits, the apartments, etc. If anything I think DU took a lot of inspiration from it. Even improved on it in many respects, but that doesn't make me love CL any less! :)

I got Strangerville on a whim, and while I haven't really played with it (haven't really played TS4 for many months, except when building), I really love the world itself. I still want to set up a cute and cozy old-fashioned, TS3-feeling world for my gothic sim to live in. These days, I get pretty bored with the look of TS4 worlds as many of them are kinda similar in general colour scheme and "suburban-ness." Oasis Springs, Strangerville and San Myshuno really keep me sane when I want to have a completely different aesthetic.

I also used to be against City Living before I actually got it, and while it doesn't add a tonne of gameplay (that I use), the dynamic of the world and the apartments are nice. I like filling up SM with lots of lots so it feels more alive and I have more to do with my sims. The build/buy is also very useful, and I built one of my absolute favourite lots there: a fancy but cozy library that fits in perfectly with the world. If you want to see it in the gallery, its name is "San Myshuno Library" (Louise_Goethals)
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    ::g:: The two packs I wouldn't take if they were free. The last thing I want is more phone spam ('I heard you became friends with so-and-so'), and it already takes ages for Sims to eat leftovers from the fridge - why waste an entire evening going out to eat food that will make them fat?

My favourite underrated pack: Spa Day (teleporting, yoga and superfood salad). Every Sim I have does yoga for fitness, and of course, to gain enough 'wellness' to teleport and make the superfood salad.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    I agree with Get Together. It is an amazing pack that I use in every aspect of play. Not to mention that Windenburg is a stunning world.

Used Dine Out once.