Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

3D printing, CNC machine, and laser engraver/cutter

I was just watching the live stream, and they mention some stuff we can vote on. For the arts and crafts I think adding a 3D printer, CNC machine, and laser engraver/cutter would be worth while.

This is something I do, and with the 3D printer there could easily be several models and types. You can have FDM printers (the 1 with a spool that looks like weed eater string going into it) and you can have SLA (which uses a resin to print) for the 3D printers. SLA printers are more worth it for jewelry and small high detail but weak items. FDM is used for bigger items and things that need strength. For FDM, you have PLA and PETG being the most common. (There is other things like TPU for flex, Nylon, etc. But most people don't print with them)
PLA is used for high detail items, items that are not meant to be put into the sun/weather, and for mid to low strength situations. For PETG, this has the same qualities as ABS but it prints nicer and much much much safer with the vapors that come off of it (there is a push for ABS to be used less due to this). PETG can take the weather, it is much stronger than PLA, but it can be harder to work with because of that. However, if you had to use screws, PETG is the way to go.
PLA is biodegradable, but PETG isn't. However, PLA is much cheaper, while PETG cost a little bit more. Like PLA is closer to $12 a spool, and PETG can be $20.

As far as price wise, FDM is cheaper all around. Where SLA can print in much higher detail. As far as food grade. In theory you can print food grade stuff, and food grade filament is a lot of money. But the machine also needs to be food safe. I'm not sure what a food grade FDM's price would look like.

What could be added with the 3D printing is a model making station. Where the sim can sand, glue, and paint whatever models.

Now as far as CNC machines. The higher the cost, the more harder things it can cut. Like a low costing one can only cut foam. Where the next level up is wood. Then finally metal. It also takes the right bits. CNC machines for home use aren't that big and can fit on a table. There is add on to some like a touch probe which is used to find the xyz of the material being cut. Here is an example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DVsOn2Njr0

Now as far as the laser engraver/cutter. The laser if cheap can only engrave, but higher price ones can also cut. Depending on the price is depending on the material it can engrave, and depth. These also have a lot of add on that could be messed with. Because you are burning stuff, it has to filter out or blow out somewhere.

All of above requires a computer to be on the same network or connected to work. All of above requires a lot of maintenance.

Anyways, I figure I could bring this up since maybe it wouldn't be that hard to add it into whatever pack.

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    I like your ideas. Some of my ideas are now in the game (probably the Gurus had them before me) but yours could go well in a future pack. Would some be better included with the microscope and telescope stuff?
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Your ideas are really sweet, I hope we get 3D Printing at least in a Hobbies EP.