Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Traits - A personality test

I see some simmers claim that their sims absolutely display the traits they are given in their behavior. Saying that outdoors sims will garden, arty sims will paint, etc. I've felt for a while that rather than choose activities by trait, they choose them by what we, the player, have already instructed them to do. I think my art lover should paint, so I tell her to paint and eventually she does it herself. Others say nothing makes a difference.

It's bothered me enough that I wanted to find out who was right. So I did this little test last night.

I built a house with 7 small private rooms upstairs, one per human sim. Each had a locked door and top price bed, shower and toilet. I didn't want attending to needs to interfere.
Downstairs they had 3 ways to cook - Top price oven, cauldron and outdoor grill.
Activity/Skill items :- Easel, piano, guitar, chess, laptop, PC, bookshelf, running machine, weight machine, stereo, dance floor, outdoor- Pool, bathtub, 2 sun loungers, 1 pool floaty, observatory, planted trees, seeds strewn on the floor. TV and sofa.

Brand new save, spring start, no mods installed, run for 14 days each run through.

The sims:-
Musak Player - Music lover/Squeamish/Creative
Active Bob - Active/Clumsy/Glutton
Kitty Lazy - Lazy/Childish/Dog lover
Chef Neate - Foodie/Creative/Neat
Francis Flowers -Loner/Loves outdoors/Vegetarian
Arty Farty - Art/Creative/Noncommittal
Gandalf Lol - Ambitious/Geek/Genius (Wizard)
Pituary, Mixed breed dog - Smart/Playful/Glutton

First play through. Spring start, 14 days, Complete autonomony. I didn't interfere at all. From the time they zoned in to the end of the 14 days I gave no instructions.
Chess played 0 Painting painted 0 Plants planted 0 Books read 0 Piano played 0

Highest skills per sim:
Musak - Video games 4 Dancing 3 Cooking 2 fitness 2. Times played an instrument - Played guitar twice for about 20 real life seconds. Dont get too excited though as Gandalf the geek/Genius played it more and actually got skill level 2

Bob - Fitness 4 Video games 4 Dancing 3. Bob autonomously used the exercise machines.

Kitty - Video games 4 Dancing 3 Mischief 3 (Trolltehforums) Times interacted with dog - 12

Chef - video games 5 dancing 2 cooking 2 (same as everyone else)

Francis - Video games 4 Dancing 4 mischief 4 (Trolltehforums), Times attended garden - 1 Kitty lazy also attended the garden once. Times ate meat - everytime someone made hotdogs.

Arty - Dancing 4 Video games 3 cooking 3 Times did anything creative other than cook - 0

Gandalf - Video games 6 dancing 3 fitness 3 cooking 3 Used the observatory - 1 and so did Active Bob.

Notes per this play through:-
Kittys interaction with the dog involved 'Praise' every time. This was regardless of what the pet was doing, good, bad, or just standing there. She never did anything meaningful such as feed, take outside or take for a walk. On many occasions the dog stood in front of her barking for attention and she just ignored it. The other sims also interacted with the dog, with the most being Musak, who also only did the 'praise' animation at random times. It was hard to spot as they just stand still while the action completes in their activity queue so I may have missed some interactions. I know kitty's was x12 because that portion of her aspiration completed on day 14.

Chef cleaned up 9 times. Kitty LAZY, Artsy, Active Bob and Musak all cleaned up more. Being a Neat sim she may complain about dirt but shes not more likely to do anything about it. Musak the squeamish hated cleaning up but did it the most anyway. Musak cleaned the sink when it got dirty.

Francis couldn't care less about being outdoors. He spent most of his time on the computer in the same large room as everyone else. The planted garden only needed attending twice and he did do it once. The second time he walked past the dying plants and ignored them. The lazy sim tended to them.

Bob was absolutely influenced by his Active trait and used the exercise machines every day. He also used the pool everyday, but so did everyone else.

The pool floaty was the first choice of every sim who wanted to sleep, followed by sun loungers, sofa, then top price beds. I had many near deaths to cold.
TV - everyone watched about equally with romance being the favoured channel. Childish Kitty never watched kids tv.

Comments

• CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited November 2019
    I still believe that making your sim do an interaction enough times will start them doing some autonomously, 2 days of player instruction simply wasn't long enough to instill the behaviour. I have one sim out of hundreds that will autonomously choose to 'complete a side job' on the computer. He reached the top of the tech career and I had had him do side jobs many many times as his money maker. So my next task is going to be taking a sim with no traits related to tech and seeing if playing them enough in that career using side jobs for money will make them start to do it autonomously.

By the way run through 3 was a complete mess :) I had every sim except Kitty get a job related to their traits/aspiration. They all barely kept themselves alive between going to work and filling needs. When they ignored their needs to do other things they.. you guessed it, danced, trolledtehforums or played video games, with tv being another option. And francis refused to leave the pool until his relax action was completed so he died.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I think it maybe depends on the traits whether they're good or not for instance I have a clumsy sim that isn't anymore clumsy than the none clumsy sims. I have never once seen her do anything clumsy. A lot of the traits are really just disappointing.
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I think it maybe depends on the traits whether they're good or not for instance I have a clumsy sim that isn't anymore clumsy than the none clumsy sims. I have never once seen her do anything clumsy. A lot of the traits are really just disappointing.

I didn't include all the little bits of information I gathered in my posts as they were quite long enough but I did note things like how often Bob the Clumsy slipped up. Usually it was something specific to those traits noted once or twice per run through - Bob slipped twice, Francis the loner got the 'get me away from these people' tense moodlet once, etc. Poor old Squeamish Musak got his squeamish debuff a lot due to his willingness to clean up regardless of the negative buff.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Love experiments like this! Thanks for sharing!

The most disturbing thing I think is that dog lovers don't really care about the dog's needs. I have a free will show project going (video series), and the poor dog in that house has never been fed by free will by the dog lover (or anyone else). She has comforted the dog on the couch several times, though. A tad sick that a dog lover don't react when the dog is begging for food for 7 days... So, not a surprise that other traits are not working as they should, either. I wish they were better designed.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    edited November 2019
    @Simmerville The lack of pet care bothered me a lot. The only reason I can think of for sims not autonomously filling the bowl is maybe some Simmers would be upset their sim spent money. Which really doesn't make sense to me as sims will happily spend 100 simoleans over and over making drinks at the bar. The dog was also filthy and never bathed. He ran away once or twice per play through and every sim got the same length 'missing pet' sad buff.

Incidentally on play through 3 where every sim had a job except Kitty, I had kitty paint once. She then continued to paint by herself. Traits - Lazy/Childish/Dog lover.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Did you direct her to fill the food bowl a few times, to see if she then would do it by herself? Shouldn't be needed to direct a dog-lover to do that, though...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    edited November 2019
    Did you direct her to fill the food bowl a few times, to see if she then would do it by herself? Shouldn't be needed to direct a dog-lover to do that, though...

On 2nd run through I instructed her to fill it twice. I should also mention that on the 2nd run through she did pet the dog once but so did Gandalf.
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    That is really interesting (and also kind of a bummer). Thanks for sharing your findings with everyone. I think maybe some of the cc traits are better set up.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I find this fascinating. Thanks for sharing your observations.

When I did the Asylum Challenge, I noticed lots of dancing and forum trolling, as well. I added a hot tub to see if anyone would drown (not knowing that wasn’t possible) and they preferred to sleep in the hot tub over free beds. I gave them all the romantic trait to see if they would flirt with one another on their own but nope, they hardly spoke to one another. The only time I could get them to do anything interesting was by creating a club and adding activities, which they did perform.

AI needs a lot of help in this game.
    @CelSims, just curious, do you have a total count on glasses of water taken?
    babajayne wrote: »
    @CelSims, just curious, do you have a total count on glasses of water taken?

I don't have a count on water taken. The reason being ... they actually rarely grabbed water. I saw 2 instances of that in the first 7 days of the first run through and stopped making a note of it, though I did continue to keep an eye out for it. It's one of the curiosities I'm pondering myself, as my actual families drive me insane with it.

If I had to guess I'd say they were all so busy on the computer or trying to freeze to death in the pool that it never came up xD My other theory is that grabbing water is high priority when all their needs are full or near full, which they usually are when Im controlling them but were not in these tests due to me not giving commands to fill needs.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    What a great experiment! And very interesting findings, too.

I have to say I've given the Genius Trait to at least two of my five Cantrell children, with a third with the Musical Genius Aspiration<---- my Global Superstar. His younger brother and only sister both spend time either with the overlarge microscope thingie on the back patio, or inside the telescope. Every now and again Joey sits and plays chess either alone or has the whim to play with others. My musician does play instruments autonomously. Their mother is an artist, but I think my Sims are more driven by their Aspirations over their Traits. At least mine appear to be. Mostly, I would presume, because I sought Traits that would fit their aspirations up front. A small caveat to that would be the only daughter. She bears the Archaeology Aspiration but I all but have to force her to authenticate artifacts sent to her in the mail. Face/palm.

So much for Smarter Sims, eh?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »

Gosh, I made Joey clumsy and you're right, I haven't seen him nearly stumble over his own feet in quite some time. When, where and WHY did that get changed? :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I've never seen my clumsy Sim actually do anything clumsy.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Clumsy Sims break dishes when they wash them. There might be something similar with handiness tasks also.

I don't think the traits were designed with autonomy in mind. I think they intended them to be challenges for the player, how you should play the sim to avoid negative or get positive moodlets. In general autonomy seems not to be how the game was designed to be played. Weird, but that's the only reason I can think of why it would be so bad.
  • kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    There are traits (like Ambitious, Cheerful, Clumsy, Gloomy, Noncommittal, Outgoing, Perfectionist, Self-Assured) which don't feature any autonomous desire whatsoever.
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited November 2019
    This was a really interesting experiment. Could the reason that the active trait worked so well be because sims with that trait get the energized mood from that trait more often? The energized mood tends to make sims exercise more so I would imagine that had a lot to do with it. Same thing with painting and the inspired mood. Painting will put your sim in a more inspired mood so they will want to paint more. I think the reason your painter sim painted more the second time is because you had her paint beforehand. Thus she was inspired from painting, so she wanted to paint more, which made her more inspired, etc, etc.

ETA: Just goes to show that the emotion your sim is in seems to have more affect on what your sims do than the traits you give them.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
    I’ve seen autonomous filling of a pet bowl once or twice. Not by an animal lover, but I’ve seen it. Just putting it out there.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I knew it was like this but still interesting to read about your experiment.

I started to think of a sim of mine who got level 10 mixing skills straight from the wishing well. They have a bar at home but he had never shown particular interest towards it before. Suddendly after the skill increase he likes to spend his time mixing drinks! It could be interesting to see what happens if you cheat them some really high skills.
    What a great experiment! And very interesting findings, too.

My musician does play instruments autonomously. Their mother is an artist, but I think my Sims are more driven by their Aspirations over their Traits. At least mine appear to be. Mostly, I would presume, because I sought Traits that would fit their aspirations up front. A small caveat to that would be the only daughter. She bears the Archaeology Aspiration but I all but have to force her to authenticate artifacts sent to her in the mail. Face/palm.

So much for Smarter Sims, eh?

Which instruments do they choose to play and can you remember if you yourself may have 'trained the behaviour' into them by telling them to play them in the past?

I didn't bother listing their aspirations but they all had relevant ones. Musak the supposed music lover had the musician aspiration, Artsy had the painter one, etc.
    Daephene wrote: »
    Clumsy Sims break dishes when they wash them. There might be something similar with handiness tasks also.

I don't think the traits were designed with autonomy in mind. I think they intended them to be challenges for the player, how you should play the sim to avoid negative or get positive moodlets. In general autonomy seems not to be how the game was designed to be played. Weird, but that's the only reason I can think of why it would be so bad.

Interesting and it's certainly how I've used traits up to this point - use the debuffs as an indication that the sim 'wants' to do something.

In the 40+ ingame days with these sims the debuffs were minimal. The only pet related one Kitty had was anger at being splashed. The loner had the 'too many people' one three times total. The neat sim did have the 'eww trash' almost every day, not least of which because she left her sleep pod looking like this The only pet related one Kitty had was anger at being splashed.

Tl8d7jq.png

I could and did ignore everyone of them, the consequences of the trait debuffs just arent severe enough or often enough to bother about.
    There's exceptions of course. Next time I do something like this I'll make them all unrelated and put in unflirty, romantic, jealous and the like.

This was a really interesting experiment. Could the reason that the active trait worked so well be because sims with that trait get the energized mood from that trait more often? The energized mood tends to make sims exercise more so I would imagine that had a lot to do with it. Same thing with painting and the inspired mood. Painting will put your sim in a more inspired mood so they will want to paint more. I think the reason your painter sim painted more the second time is because you had her paint beforehand. Thus she was inspired from painting, so she wanted to paint more, which made her more inspired, etc, etc.

ETA: Just goes to show that the emotion your sim is in seems to have more affect on what your sims do than the traits you give them.

That would be my guess with active, he became energized randomly because of the trait. But I believe that genius sims get randomly focused? Yet never played chess, or programmed. The giant observatory that we don't all use because its too 🐸🐸🐸🐸 big was the go to of choice for him. Twice.
    babajayne wrote: »
    I’ve seen autonomous filling of a pet bowl once or twice. Not by an animal lover, but I’ve seen it. Just putting it out there.

This is good to see because it bothered me a lot. To have my animal lover decide to prioritize dancing over the crying hungry pet was just unacceptable.