Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game won't launch. Please help!

CharlieOllie1108CharlieOllie1108 Posts: 577 Member
edited March 2023 in Mods Bugs & Issues
A few days ago I purchased three packs for my birthday, but didn't install them into my game just yet. After doing so, I tried launching the game and it threw an error up saying:

"Unable to start:
Cannot start because game data is missing or damaged. If you have Mods installed please remove them and try again. If not, please repair or reinstall the game via Origin."

I do have mods that I try to keep updated. I removed them and then tried to launch the game again with success. I just would very much like to play with my mods and never had any issues with them before.

I also deleted the broken/conflicted cc and did another scan to make sure no viruses were present as well as any other broken cc I may have missed during the cc purge. None was found. I also updated my drives and did a repair (or two) on the game just in case. I tried to cover all my bases on what the problem may be.

I put the mods folder back where it was and launched the game again to no avail. I don't know what the culprit is on why all of a sudden my game won't launch properly. I don't know if it's the latest update, not installing the packs I purchased that is conflicting with the update, or what.

If anyone has any ideas on what the issue is and how to fix it properly, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you so much in advance!!
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Since it seems to be your mods, did you weed them out one by one (or folder by folder, if you organized them that way)? I know you said you deleted conflicting mods and broken cc, but it still looks like it's your mods folder 🤔

If it's not the mods, you can always try doing a reset of your folder in case if the problem is in there.
  • CharlieOllie1108CharlieOllie1108 Posts: 577 Member
    Thank you for replying, Cement!

I didn't weed them out one by one...yet. I ended up using ModConflict mod that scans everything and highlights the broken ones. I can try to go through them one by one so I can safely say I tried everything.

I honestly didn't know you can reset the folder like that. I'll try that as well.

It's just odd that all of this happened right after I bought the packs. Just could be a weird happenstance.

Thank you so much again for the advice!
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,447 Member
    @CharlieOllie1108, if I can ask, what mods do you have? All packs cause conflicts with mods/cc until the mods/cc are updated, but it seems some mods are affected more than others.
    Starfree wrote: »
    @CharlieOllie1108, if I can ask, what mods do you have? All packs cause conflicts with mods/cc until the mods/cc are updated, but it seems some mods are affected more than others.

The only actual mods I have/had were mostly fan made ones like Pufferhead Stuff Pack, Stellar Stuff Pack, and Witches & Warlocks Mod. I removed the latter one before I purchased Realm of Magic. The rest is just hair, skin, clothes, etc. cc.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    You may have to delete & uninstall all your mods & select repair on your Origin Sims 4 game.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    I would check any mods you have to see if there are updated versions. Many have to be updated after packs are added.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Seeing as it looks like this has been caused by a mod I've moved this over to the Mods bugs and issues area.
    Oh
    EA_Rtas wrote: »
    Seeing as it looks like this has been caused by a mod I've moved this over to the Mods bugs and issues area.

Oh thank you!

I was able to fix the issue. I scanned and tested each CC/Mod two by two and found the files (two out of a little over a thousand files) that were causing the issue. Yay! Thank you all for the help and suggestions!!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top