Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Repair family tree -- how?

Is there a way to add sims back into the family tree at the parent/grandparent level?

I had to redownload all of my sims back into a fresh install of TS4. Sims that were saved as a family were fine, but generations were not. So I have sims with blank pictures for parents, grandparents, etc. I tried to re-add these sims but the game won't allow it.

I actually had to clone sims, but any sim I raised from toddler loses the toddler trait from being a perfect toddler and if they were a scout they lose the scout trait too.

How can I add in these sims to the family tree without having to clone the sims and recreate the family tree?

wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱

Comments

• SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    You can’t. It’s a shame it can’t even be edited with the Cas.fulledit cheats. Maybe there’s a mod but I’m not sure about that tbh.
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    You can use a mod or go through CAS slowly via cas.fulleditmode to set relationships that way, or you can use the in-game cheats.

I wrote them out on a really old thread:
    Cement wrote: »
    You actually could edit the family tree with relationshipbit cheats, but it's a very long process and it's best to add him to the household and set relationships in CAS since the cheat way could get wonky if you make a mistake. I also don't know if they still work now since these are old, but I'll write it up here just in case if you want to try anyway. I only used them a couple times way back when I forgot to set relationships before :joy:

You'd have to get the IDs of all 4 sims to modify relationships with this cheat in the cheat console:
    sims.get_sim_id_by_name simfirstname simlastname

so it'd come out as sims.get_sim_id_by_name Johnny Zest for Johnny's ID, and so on for Geoffrey, Nancy, and Malcolm. You'll get a long string of numbers, which you're going to have to keep a note of.

Then you'll have to add a "relationship bit" with this cheat:
    relationship.add_bit simID targetsimID relationshipBit

"simID" is for the first sim, and "targetsimID" is who you're modifying the relationship to.
    So for example, for Malcolm's relationship with Johnny, let's say Malcolm Landgraab's ID is "111111111" and Johnny Zest is "123456789" (the numbers won't be that short, but just to get my explanation across)--The cheat would come out to relationship.add_bit 123456789 111111111 family_brother_sister as Johnny Zest is the sim you're adding the relationship to with Malcolm; This makes it so Johnny recognizes Malcolm as his brother, and vice versa. If it doesn't work correctly, you can always try reversing IDs with the same relationship bit (or double check the ID)

If you want Johnny Zest to be Nancy Landgraab's son, you would set it as Johnny Zest's ID first, then Nancy Landgraab's with the relationship bit "family_parent". Order is important here, since you're trying to make it as "Johnny recognizes Nancy as his Parent" instead of "Nancy recognizes Johnny as her Parent."

Let's say the sim ID for Nancy Landgraab's is "000000000" (Johnny Zest is still "123456789," IDs don't change)-- The cheat would look like relationship.add_bit 123456789 000000000 family_parent so Johnny would recognize Nancy as his mother. However, to Nancy, this relationship doesn't exist to her, so you'd have to set the ID's reversed so you would have Nancy's relationship modified for Johnny with relationship.add_bit 000000000 123456789 family_son_daughter.
    This makes it so Nancy recognizes Johnny as her son since Johnny is the target sim now. This would be applied similarly with Geoffrey.

...But just to reiterate, this way is sort of a time consuming when you can set it with MCC now or just [go through] CAS slowly. I only used it then because my household at the time was too full and I was too lazy to separate them :joy:

and yeah, as my quote went, definitely much easier with a mod or slow CAS relationship setting lol
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    @Cement thanks for reposting here. I totally forgot about that.

I will definitely do that for the other families I need to repair.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • TopNotchToddlerTopNotchToddler Posts: 190 Member
    edited October 2019
    If you are willing to use mods the most comfortable way to add family relationship is by using MCCC.

a3H5ydf.png
    Post edited by TopNotchToddler on
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    I was about to suggest the use of MCCC. I had a situation where I tried to call a Sim home from work early. He showed up but he was dressed in shorts and a shirt, plus I couldn't control him, so I knew something was very wrong. I ended up trying to call him home early again, and the second time he was dressed in his proper Space Ranger uniform. I was able to control this one, so I thought what do I do with his Doppelganger? I deleted him. Before I knew it, his mother was on the scene and he had the option of introducing himself to her. :open_mouth: So, I used MCCC to reconnect him to his living family. I had to take him to their house and if memory serves I used the 'add relationship with Sim on the lot' option. It worked just fine. Certainly saved me from an entire restart!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    Will the "relationship bit" cheat work for step parent? Their relationship was step mother/step daughter. When the son aged up I went into cas to change his clothes and dark form. When I got out of cas the step relationship was only roommates.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    akaniki0 wrote: »
    Will the "relationship bit" cheat work for step parent? Their relationship was step mother/step daughter. When the son aged up I went into cas to change his clothes and dark form. When I got out of cas the step relationship was only roommates.

That I don't know.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    Thank you. I think I will go into my game and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 around with the cheat wording. It's worth a shot.
  • sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    edited October 2019
    akaniki0 wrote: »

I think step relationships are derived indirectly. For example if a parent remarries the new spouse will become a step-parent to existing children of the parent. It might be difficult to set this up unless you can reconnect the daughter to her father. If he is no longer around, maybe you might have to temporarily create a father Sim to marry the step-mother.

Here's what deaderpool says about it

TS4-Relationships.png
    Thank you, and the child lives in the same household with the father and his wife. As I said, they had a step relationship until the game took it away. I figured there was nothing I could do about it but it was worth a try.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    So I tried
    relationship.add_bit 706513023716365109 492592686711054221 family_parent

relationship.add_bit 492592686711054221 706513023716365109 family_son_daughter

First the family parent to add a father for Johnny Zest then the other way around. And it didn't work. So, I downloaded MCC. Do I just place the package file? I really want to try to limit the script mods as I like to keep the game running as EA programmed it.
  • sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    edited December 2019
    troshalom wrote: »
    So, I downloaded MCC. Do I just place the package file? I really want to try to limit the script mods as I like to keep the game running as EA programmed it.

MCCC won't work without the scripts. At the minimum you need mc_cmd_center.package and mc_cmd_center.ts4script for the base mod. In addition you need whichever extension contains the relationship options. I don't know off hand but I think it will be MC CAS (mc_cas.ts4script). The easiest is just to extract all the files from the zip so you have the full MCCC mod as designed.
    Part of the principle of MCCC is changing the coding provided my EA I'm afraid to allow it to do things not provided by the game.

Scratch that, it's part of Command Center so just the two files that comprise it are needed.
    Post edited by sirguylittle on
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited December 2019