Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 introducing "disabled sims"?

13...Next

Comments

• ValeahValeah Posts: 98 Member
    I think the statement that "most of the people with a disability Do Not want this in the game" I think is an inaccurate generalization. I have noticed an increasing number of those with disabilities and health issues (myself included) who WOULD like to see disabilities included. Even my mother (who used to play the Sims 3) was disappointed that, at no stage was there ever an option to create a disabled sim. She always wanted to be able to have a sim in a wheelchair (like her), but was never given that option.

I understand some people have concerns about how it would be done. I also understand that some people don't want to be reminded of the struggles they face daily. But others of us would love the opportunity to play a sim, with a disability, that lives a life different to our own. It's our own form of escape - to play a life similar, but different, to our own. To do the things we can't do in our real lives.

The option to turn off disabilities in game would be a compromise. So those who want disabled sims in game can have them, but those who don't can choose not to have them.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited November 2019
    As somebody with a mental disability I'm always being treated as if I don't have a disability. I have a friend who has terrible schizophrenia. He's so paranoid that people are out to get him, even though he knows the voices aren't real. I would want to see (ha ha) the invisible disabilities in Sims 4. Even if they were handled badly it would be better than pretending they don't exist.

There's also a number of learning disabilities that aren't necessarily just about difficulty reading and counting. Some come on a severe sliding scale where a person would need support throughout their entire life, unable to get dressed and eat without help. Frustrating? Yes. Hard work? Yup. Different way to play? Very much so.

How about getting a job as a Zero Hours care worker?

Everything ticks somebody off now, although I've noticed SJWs find attacking majorities more satisfying than defending minorities.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited November 2019
    Loanet wrote: »
    As somebody with a mental disability I'm always being treated as if I don't have a disability. I have a friend who has terrible schizophrenia. He's so paranoid that people are out to get him, even though he knows the voices aren't real. I would want to see (ha ha) the invisible disabilities in Sims 4. Even if they were handled badly it would be better than pretending they don't exist.

There's also a number of learning disabilities that aren't necessarily just about difficulty reading and counting. Some come on a severe sliding scale where a person would need support throughout their entire life, unable to get dressed and eat without help. Frustrating? Yes. Hard work? Yup. Different way to play? Very much so.

How about getting a job as a Zero Hours care worker?

Everything ticks somebody off now, although I've noticed SJWs find attacking majorities more satisfying than defending minorities.

I have to disagree there, I have saw my illness be used in let’s plays before and it’s incredibly Insulting, patronising and shows how ignorant people can be about mental health as well. I appreciate for everyone with a disability saying they don’t want it for reasons like mine; there are people with disabilities saying the opposite and that’s okay, but I would not want them to add it in even if it’s done badly. That’s disrespectful and insulting. They didn’t handle adding gender options in badly, they shouldn’t half 🐸🐸🐸🐸 adding disabilities.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    @MidnightAura and at @Camkat that's is why I believe that the Grus who create the Sims games for us, want us, disabled folks, to talk to them about how to portray our variouslyabilities in a good light. AT @Camkat like others have already said that some people want disabilities to be seen like they're just like everyone else that those of us who actual want disabilities in the game (and I understand not everyone does) want us to be seen as part of the world we live in and not something that should be hidden away someplace which is what society thinks of most of us at the moment.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited November 2019
    @MadameLee I'd be ok with a toggle of sorts because then I wouldn't have to deal with it, but I still don't think they'd do it right. I guess I would have to see in game and proven wrong. There will always be someone forgotten or not represented properly and the way people play sometimes, some down right offensive content could be made. It already has been as @MidnightAura pointed out and it's not even included in the game yet. I know it's not EA's job to police simmers and how they play the game or what they post to twitch or youtube, but I don't think they should make it easy for us to be made fun of either.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    @Camkat and I think that is what Grant said they would be adding an off switch (but mostly like others said that most of us who want disablities in the game just want the option for it in CAS and the various "Supports" (SL, service animal, special counters/stoves/sinks,etc) they would need in their real world.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    I just don't trust them to do this right either, it will always plum someone off how it's done so it's better to just leave it as is. Someone will be left out and sad, some with be included and be sad. It's a situation they will never win.

I agree. Although some people are calling out for representation, people will be very upset if the representation isn't to their liking. Online this could so easily turn into 'EA hates disabled people/into eugenics/really offensive/boycott' and spread by people who know nothing of the context or implementation.

To be honest even with things that are not controversial the forums are generally never happy. Whatever they implement will be bad, negative reaction framed by nostalgia - either for a rl world that never was, or a rosy-tinted view of a previous game.
  • Humility925Humility925 Posts: 152 Member
    edited November 2019
    I'm deaf, I don't mind deaf in the game, but I don't do readlip, something I don't get it in all my life, all I see mouth/touge moving and I don't understand at all, I just used phone to text or write paper to hearing peoples. if disable is in game, don't gave it downside, and it's should option. when I said downside, I mean deaf can do as much hearing sims can do, but upside, like deaf can dance to music if music is loud cause room shake it up or soundwave on floor, they felt on floor and wall shake yet they can sleep thought loud tvs, vampire, and even fire alarm but fire can't harm them, vampire can't drain deaf sims, deaf immune to troublemaker magic from spellcaster, ect, same for any kind of disable. Basic just gave benefits to disable more than normal sims, more superpower than normal sims that way, maybe some people might not felt hurt by this but maybe not, but for me, it's not much matter to me, it's don't had to be in game, Sims 4 game is petty much good game, beside need fixing bug here and there.

I couldn't care whatever it's in or not as long there is solution and do not block opportunity something that many disable people do not had opportunity in real life, like high career job or even dating or even create family. I think disable people like me do not like to be cast out, left out and no opportunity to grow, whatever it's career, income, relationship, ect, if that is in game, then yes it's would be bad and do remain disable just like real life, no opportunity or block growing in career or income, and important one relationship with other human who are not disable. I am petty much broken, and got used to it, I got good people helped me, but it's was never enough bring me to joy as I'm sort of feel and am trapped in this world system, unable to grow or improve. Oh well, as I said I used to it and numbed to it. Sims 4 Sims had easiest life than real world, all rights beside freewill and it's not real but fantasy.

disable people are just people, one disable people might don't like, while other disable people might love it, other is so-so but in the end, most important is had compassion on all, whatever one able and ability strong to had compassion on all, not some.

Edit: Sims 4 is like almost better than this real life world, where disable do not exist where every sims are healthly, Petty much Sims world can be far better than this real world, because of fantasy, maybe sims do not had a disable in their near perfect world.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Have you noticed the poor mermaids after they get out of the water & bathtubs? They are definitely disabled due to missing legs & they have a strange mutant ability to float instead of walking. Poor dears.
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    There was a thread about this not too long ago in general discussions: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/968414/5-years-and-still-no-disabled-sims/p1

all of it covers the same subject, no point repeating what i have to say when it is all in that thread. Just to add more weight to this thread.

• leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited November 2019
    Hoverael wrote: »
    There was a thread about this not too long ago in general discussions: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/968414/5-years-and-still-no-disabled-sims/p1

all of it covers the same subject, no point repeating what i have to say when it is all in that thread. Just to add more weight to this thread.

Now the point is Discover University and the exo-skeleton
    Also the phrostetic arm (no seen at gameplay but seen at trailer)
    And to be fair with diabilities and how to represent them (without complicate with all wide ranges), I said they should focuse at physical disabilities, no mental/non-visible ones
  • spongebob2004spongebob2004 Posts: 1 New Member
    i think we should see disabilities. we live in a world where there are disabilities all around us, and i think to show equality, it should be incorporated into sims as well
  • ObaniMoonObaniMoon Posts: 18 Member
    I think the scientist job has a uniform that comes with a kind of bionic arm. This seems like it would be the same thing. I highly doubt they would let you remove your arm just to get a robotic arm. If it is a life state they would have a way to return your sim to its previous state. If it turns out to be a lifestate then I dont see a problem with it as long as you can undo the damage. It would seem like a bit of a bummer to permanently lose an arm.
  • ObaniMoonObaniMoon Posts: 18 Member
    Just made one for myself. Its merely cosmetic and does not remove the arm.
  • LoftyyLoftyy Posts: 101 Member
    I think that if it were introduced it should be able to be toggled in case people with that specific disability don't want it there. I am autistic and I'd personally label my sim self as autistic because I don't see it as a mental disorder but it's apart of me and makes me unique. I would not change myself. I would be bothered if non autistic people used it as an inspirational thing or misrepresented it in their characters as they do so often on TV.