January 24 - New Friday, new Friday Highlight! Check it out here!
January 16 - Patch day for The Sims 4! Find the patch notes for PC/Mac here, and here for console (someone said Gallery?)

Can we talk about the sims 4 rebrand vidio ?

Comments

  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 31,162 Member
    edited November 2019
    Why.png
    SimGuruDuke, "The Joyful Representation of The Sims", August 2019
    I hate this for so many reasons.

    I can only drop my head. A game should never, ever, be influencing anyone to do anything. Isn't that what parents worry about? It doesn't matter what you believe, think or do in life. Parents worry how game companies and big tech influence their children. What I think is a good thing may not be a good thing in a differet home that doesn't believe the way I do. I'm actually shocked Maxis thinks they have some moral authority to 'influence' young minds and children to think and believe the way the do. But after this past year of shanagans I have seen with shutting down diverse opinions, no, I'm not really all that surprised. It's a game Maxis, it's not your tool to push any idea and or belief or political agenda or propaganda and if this opinion is shut down, then no, you aren't as diverse as you like to pretend.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 3,057 Member
    Yes very cringe worthy..I HATED it...
    But just a wee bit off topic...I have serve depression, and I play The Sims to get some relief..video gaming in general is therapy in a way for me...<3 Just saying.
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 330 Member
    What also the thing is there never announced it in a big way.It just was there .Here when they do this they announce it as hey look at me.

    I hate the way they make such a spectacle out of it. In the 1st, 2nd and 3rd games it was treated with quiet respect, a sort of dignity, where different sexualities were included but no fuss was made over it and to me that was much more inclusive, it was nice to just be acknowledged like a normal person and not some mythical minority that has to be pandered to. When the 4th made such a big spectacle out of the pride content it felt horribly disingenuous - the previous games made those strides, not the 4th, and the fact they'd waited until this far into the game's life made it obvious it was a ploy for brownie points. "Look at us! Look what we're doing!" Not every LGBT person associates with pride.

    I don't make a fuss over my bisexuality (I only ever mention it when it's relevant) and so to me it feels manipulative when the game tries to make a big deal out of it.

    As for the other issues mentioned in the casting call, all I can imagine is EA giving you a comforting hug and whilst it's holding you it slips its hand into your back pocket and steals your wallet.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited November 2019
    Yes very cringe worthy..I HATED it...
    But just a wee bit off topic...I have serve depression, and I play The Sims to get some relief..video gaming in general is therapy in a way for me...<3 Just saying.

    And that's fine :)

    What is not fine is a video game using your depression to target you in marketing.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 493 Member
    After 9/11, the day we almost lost one of my sisters (she worked in tower 2), that sister, another sister and I buried ourselves in The Sims. For months we were completely obsessed. We were escaping from a world we didn’t recognize anymore. It was unhealthy. My sisters realized it wasn’t helping anything and they turned away for good. They weren’t dealing with their issues by playing, they were avoiding them. They had to go on and be adults. I was still young enough it didn’t matter as much to me how much time I was spending on the game. I used it less as a coping mechanism, more as entertainment. But I do have the tendency to overindulge in it. Whenever I get so engrossed in this game that it’s all I want to do 24/7, I find I am less excited about real life, so I have to force myself to take a break.

    I don’t think any video game is a productive way to cope, but that depends on the individual and how much they depend on it for happiness.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 31,162 Member
    edited November 2019
    What also the thing is there never announced it in a big way.It just was there .Here when they do this they announce it as hey look at me.

    I hate the way they make such a spectacle out of it. In the 1st, 2nd and 3rd games it was treated with quiet respect, a sort of dignity, where different sexualities were included but no fuss was made over it and to me that was much more inclusive, it was nice to just be acknowledged like a normal person and not some mythical minority that has to be pandered to. When the 4th made such a big spectacle out of the pride content it felt horribly disingenuous - the previous games made those strides, not the 4th, and the fact they'd waited until this far into the game's life made it obvious it was a ploy for brownie points. "Look at us! Look what we're doing!" Not every LGBT person associates with pride.

    I don't make a fuss over my bisexuality (I only ever mention it when it's relevant) and so to me it feels manipulative when the game tries to make a big deal out of it.

    As for the other issues mentioned in the casting call, all I can imagine is EA giving you a comforting hug and whilst it's holding you it slips its hand into your back pocket and steals your wallet.

    You are exactly right in my opinion. It's almost as if they scream, look over here kids! we have special Sims! they have actually stripped any dignity from the game by making such a big to do about it all. Special labels, special Sims, as you said a mythical minority they need to prop up in a game while (exactly) putting the hand in the pocket like the Unsavory Charlotan. I thought the whole point was not to be treated any differently than me or someone else and not label anyone as special but they have done the exact opposite with patting themselves on the back. I know many people who just want to be equal not special.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,752 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    Why.png
    SimGuruDuke, "The Joyful Representation of The Sims", August 2019
    I hate this for so many reasons.

    "The way it influences people's lives" ... Gross... Propaganda?

    A video game shouldn't be influencing anything! So should GTA influence people to go steal cars? Of course not! Everyone uses games as a means of escape or entertainment. That much is a given. It shouldn't have to say that. It shouldn't be promoted as a way to help heal yourself either, running away from your problems and escaping into a video game is fine for a small diversion but as a way to actually deal with your life? It's extremely unhealthy, a crutch and could possibly stop someone from learning a HEALTHY way to cope with life. Then after TS4 stops, and it will eventually, they all do... then how does said person get their "therapy"? Their attitude is disgusting. Are they going to take responsibility for all of these player's mental health now and provide support after the game ends? Of course not, it's not their job but they really shouldn't be using it as a marketing tactic as if it is... This is actually making me think I should stop supporting them as a whole and stop purchasing packs! (As if they weren't already giving me enough reasons...)
    It's actually an eye opener for me how in the second video on page 1 here, a religious girl explains how playing a deviant and mean God makes her more aware of the positive values of her religion.

    I missed that... but that is also disturbing. I'll have to give that one a re-watch too.

    Oh! But aren't those videos done by MTV? I think that might be a bit of a difference, unless of course Maxis/EA paid them to make them. It's not right necessarily, but it's a bit different coming from a third party (if they're not controlling it) vs paid employees/spokesperson or ads produced and put out by them on their official youtube channels and such.
    And I missed that. Yes, that would be different of course.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 1,620 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    Why.png
    SimGuruDuke, "The Joyful Representation of The Sims", August 2019
    I hate this for so many reasons.

    "The way it influences people's lives" ... Gross... Propaganda?

    A video game shouldn't be influencing anything! So should GTA influence people to go steal cars? Of course not! Everyone uses games as a means of escape or entertainment. That much is a given. It shouldn't have to say that. It shouldn't be promoted as a way to help heal yourself either, running away from your problems and escaping into a video game is fine for a small diversion but as a way to actually deal with your life? It's extremely unhealthy, a crutch and could possibly stop someone from learning a HEALTHY way to cope with life. Then after TS4 stops, and it will eventually, they all do... then how does said person get their "therapy"? Their attitude is disgusting. Are they going to take responsibility for all of these player's mental health now and provide support after the game ends? Of course not, it's not their job but they really shouldn't be using it as a marketing tactic as if it is... This is actually making me think I should stop supporting them as a whole and stop purchasing packs! (As if they weren't already giving me enough reasons...)
    It's actually an eye opener for me how in the second video on page 1 here, a religious girl explains how playing a deviant and mean God makes her more aware of the positive values of her religion.

    I missed that... but that is also disturbing. I'll have to give that one a re-watch too.

    Oh! But aren't those videos done by MTV? I think that might be a bit of a difference, unless of course Maxis/EA paid them to make them. It's not right necessarily, but it's a bit different coming from a third party (if they're not controlling it) vs paid employees/spokesperson or ads produced and put out by them on their official youtube channels and such.
    And I missed that. Yes, that would be different of course.

    The mtv ones we're a documentary, and a better advertisement than this was.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,752 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    Why.png
    SimGuruDuke, "The Joyful Representation of The Sims", August 2019
    I hate this for so many reasons.

    "The way it influences people's lives" ... Gross... Propaganda?

    A video game shouldn't be influencing anything! So should GTA influence people to go steal cars? Of course not! Everyone uses games as a means of escape or entertainment. That much is a given. It shouldn't have to say that. It shouldn't be promoted as a way to help heal yourself either, running away from your problems and escaping into a video game is fine for a small diversion but as a way to actually deal with your life? It's extremely unhealthy, a crutch and could possibly stop someone from learning a HEALTHY way to cope with life. Then after TS4 stops, and it will eventually, they all do... then how does said person get their "therapy"? Their attitude is disgusting. Are they going to take responsibility for all of these player's mental health now and provide support after the game ends? Of course not, it's not their job but they really shouldn't be using it as a marketing tactic as if it is... This is actually making me think I should stop supporting them as a whole and stop purchasing packs! (As if they weren't already giving me enough reasons...)
    It's actually an eye opener for me how in the second video on page 1 here, a religious girl explains how playing a deviant and mean God makes her more aware of the positive values of her religion.

    I missed that... but that is also disturbing. I'll have to give that one a re-watch too.

    Oh! But aren't those videos done by MTV? I think that might be a bit of a difference, unless of course Maxis/EA paid them to make them. It's not right necessarily, but it's a bit different coming from a third party (if they're not controlling it) vs paid employees/spokesperson or ads produced and put out by them on their official youtube channels and such.
    And I missed that. Yes, that would be different of course.

    The mtv ones we're a documentary, and a better advertisement than this was.
    It is possible by the way EA paid them to do that documentary. But anyway, the stories in there are just way more argumented and illustrated. And not trying to claim the game’s a problem solver.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 31,162 Member
    edited November 2019
    I think this type of brand isn't a healthy thing to promote. I have my own reasons for saying that, it's not healthy for people to bury their heads in the sand and stay within a virtual world. This doesn't help coping skills, nor does it help people socialize nor does it help feel connected to a real human being in the room. We all had problems, have problems or dealt something within our lives. EA boasting their games help you avoid, hide behind, live inside their games isn't a good thing, in my opinion. From my own life I know very well how much I have lost and the time I have lost I will never get back because I chose to avoid reality and or not to deal with it and just stayed in a virtual world. This is not a healthy nor productive thing to do. The brand of The Sims before was, it was a hobby. And yes, it was. Now, it's a place to go hide and feel safe. Sad.

    I just want to add this, hobby EA, hobby. It should never be boasted it's a separate reality like some parallel world people can use to avoid their own lives. Nor should it be encouraged to go in there and never come out. Nor to sell products to people that with the way they are released and or handled it makes them live inside the games and not be able to carry on until they get the next new shiny. This sort of manipulation is not something I would want to be known for if I were EA.

    Explaning: If people are miserable for whatever reason then waiting on a company as if they were god, to fill that need with live service, is not something EA should be doing. But they seem( with this ad )to be very happy to pretend they are and taking all the credit for it. But none of this actually helped a person deal with something for real, but only play out a situation in revenge or whatever, and that's not healthy, either. Nor is it healthy to live in a happy, happy pretend world. It's only going to make the real one seem very unable to bear. The real world is outside your door. Waiting to be discovered.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,752 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    For the most part, I agree with @DragonCat159

    I think it's awesome that The Sims offers an outlet for many people to feel safe in their own zone, but I think to design the game entirely around this mindset and capitalize all around this belief in advertising is boring to me.

    I think The Sims 3's Confessions trailer achieves the same message, and it's both very fun and exciting to watch. I don't feel like I'm entering some over-the-top safe territory with sunshines and rainbows, but rather, I simply have a game in my hands that I can play in a way that reflects who I am, what I like, etc.

    I don't know if the true reason we still don't have robberies and thieves in Sims 4 is to prevent players from being "triggered," as the rumors go, but if that's truly case, I'd absolutely hate what the franchise has become.
    Aha, found the Sims 3 version (thanks @Oldeseadogge :grimace: )! Three things:
    1. This video is funny
    2. This video is about deviant play, kind of naughty, the ‘playing with life’ thing, which is exactly what Sims is
    3. I....see.... (can it be true....?).... some older people in there! Not just under 25. So including *cough*
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 17,615 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    It's actually an eye opener for me how in the second video on page 1 here, a religious girl explains how playing a deviant and mean God makes her more aware of the positive values of her religion.
    Not going to lie, that is one of the reasons I play that way too. Glad you enjoyed the videos. I think the videos have shown how out of touch Gurus are with the Sims community now compared to then. Everything is based on stats and not interacting with the community as little as possible and having a computer do it for them which I find extremely sad especially for a game that is supposed to be a life simulation. It is like a life simulation of their rich lifestyle or ours? So far feels like their life simulation mostly. It is like how are you going to appeal to your customer if you don't even know them.

    Although the wannabe hip lingo of 10 years ago was annoying with the high pitch squeak parts, this is probably the first Sims 4 promo video in a long time that I could relate to. My university experience was a lot like this with the failure aspects and raising my nephew while in school.

    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

    Everyone is a Simmer.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 31,162 Member
    edited November 2019
    Scobre wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    It's actually an eye opener for me how in the second video on page 1 here, a religious girl explains how playing a deviant and mean God makes her more aware of the positive values of her religion.
    Not going to lie, that is one of the reasons I play that way too. Glad you enjoyed the videos. I think the videos have shown how out of touch Gurus are with the Sims community now compared to then. Everything is based on stats and not interacting with the community as little as possible and having a computer do it for them which I find extremely sad especially for a game that is supposed to be a life simulation. It is like a life simulation of their rich lifestyle or ours? So far feels like their life simulation mostly. It is like how are you going to appeal to your customer if you don't even know them.

    Although the wannabe hip lingo of 10 years ago was annoying with the high pitch squeak parts, this is probably the first Sims 4 promo video in a long time that I could relate to. My university experience was a lot like this with the failure aspects and raising my nephew while in school.

    I hate to say this, but that video isn't very exciting to me. So, there aren't any new careers but the three?Attorney, Teacher, Engineer. I know that may seem like a bunch to TS4 players, but c'mon Maxis look at the careers offered in TS2 and TS3's university packs. Sigh.....almost seems like a 'filler pack'.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 1,620 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    It's actually an eye opener for me how in the second video on page 1 here, a religious girl explains how playing a deviant and mean God makes her more aware of the positive values of her religion.
    Not going to lie, that is one of the reasons I play that way too. Glad you enjoyed the videos. I think the videos have shown how out of touch Gurus are with the Sims community now compared to then. Everything is based on stats and not interacting with the community as little as possible and having a computer do it for them which I find extremely sad especially for a game that is supposed to be a life simulation. It is like a life simulation of their rich lifestyle or ours? So far feels like their life simulation mostly. It is like how are you going to appeal to your customer if you don't even know them.

    Although the wannabe hip lingo of 10 years ago was annoying with the high pitch squeak parts, this is probably the first Sims 4 promo video in a long time that I could relate to. My university experience was a lot like this with the failure aspects and raising my nephew while in school.

    Yah, this thing actually feels like an advertisement for a life simulation.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,467 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I think this type of brand isn't a healthy thing to promote. I have my own reasons for saying that, it's not healthy for people to bury their heads in the sand and stay within a virtual world. This doesn't help coping skills, nor does it help people socialize nor does it help feel connected to a real human being in the room. We all had problems, have problems or dealt something within our lives. EA boasting their games help you avoid, hide behind, live inside their games isn't a good thing, in my opinion. From my own life I know very well how much I have lost and the time I have lost I will never get back because I chose to avoid reality and or not to deal with it and just stayed in a virtual world. This is not a healthy nor productive thing to do. The brand of The Sims before was, it was a hobby. And yes, it was. Now, it's a place to go hide and feel safe. Sad.

    I just want to add this, hobby EA, hobby. It should never be boasted it's a separate reality like some parallel world people can use to avoid their own lives. Nor should it be encouraged to go in there and never come out. Nor to sell products to people that with the way they are released and or handled it makes them live inside the games and not be able to carry on until they get the next new shiny. This sort of manipulation is not something I would want to be known for if I were EA.

    Explaning: If people are miserable for whatever reason then waiting on a company as if they were god, to fill that need with live service, is not something EA should be doing. But they seem( with this ad )to be very happy to pretend they are and taking all the credit for it. But none of this actually helped a person deal with something for real, but only play out a situation in revenge or whatever, and that's not healthy, either. Nor is it healthy to live in a happy, happy pretend world. It's only going to make the real one seem very unable to bear. The real world is outside your door. Waiting to be discovered.

    I completely agree with this. Even though I use video games as an escape from my illness there is a fine line between using it for fun and burying your head so you can’t see the world. Weirdly enough when I’m really low mentally I can’t play the sims. It’s depressing to me to see my sims do normal things I can’t or struggle with. I can some times play other video games but The Sims franchise is a big no no. I read this article and the writer also acknowledges using the game as a crutch was not good for state of mind:
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8x8a53/i-couldnt-get-pregnant-so-i-played-the-sims-4


  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 31,162 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I think this type of brand isn't a healthy thing to promote. I have my own reasons for saying that, it's not healthy for people to bury their heads in the sand and stay within a virtual world. This doesn't help coping skills, nor does it help people socialize nor does it help feel connected to a real human being in the room. We all had problems, have problems or dealt something within our lives. EA boasting their games help you avoid, hide behind, live inside their games isn't a good thing, in my opinion. From my own life I know very well how much I have lost and the time I have lost I will never get back because I chose to avoid reality and or not to deal with it and just stayed in a virtual world. This is not a healthy nor productive thing to do. The brand of The Sims before was, it was a hobby. And yes, it was. Now, it's a place to go hide and feel safe. Sad.

    I just want to add this, hobby EA, hobby. It should never be boasted it's a separate reality like some parallel world people can use to avoid their own lives. Nor should it be encouraged to go in there and never come out. Nor to sell products to people that with the way they are released and or handled it makes them live inside the games and not be able to carry on until they get the next new shiny. This sort of manipulation is not something I would want to be known for if I were EA.

    Explaning: If people are miserable for whatever reason then waiting on a company as if they were god, to fill that need with live service, is not something EA should be doing. But they seem( with this ad )to be very happy to pretend they are and taking all the credit for it. But none of this actually helped a person deal with something for real, but only play out a situation in revenge or whatever, and that's not healthy, either. Nor is it healthy to live in a happy, happy pretend world. It's only going to make the real one seem very unable to bear. The real world is outside your door. Waiting to be discovered.

    I completely agree with this. Even though I use video games as an escape from my illness there is a fine line between using it for fun and burying your head so you can’t see the world. Weirdly enough when I’m really low mentally I can’t play the sims. It’s depressing to me to see my sims do normal things I can’t or struggle with. I can some times play other video games but The Sims franchise is a big no no. I read this article and the writer also acknowledges using the game as a crutch was not good for state of mind:
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8x8a53/i-couldnt-get-pregnant-so-i-played-the-sims-4


    That story is not far from the truth for many and why I am disgusted by this ad. When I finally broke my addiction to The Sims games I was much happier and was rarely home anymore, but outside living. It didn't matter if I was in pain or the way I looked (different story) it was the fact I was outside again, and pain out there was just as much as the pain indoors while at a pc, but it was living again and with family and not hiding or sinking into oblivion. I'm actually glad I no longer have a need to load a game like I did with this series. Free from addiction is a good thing.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 3,057 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    Yes very cringe worthy..I HATED it...
    But just a wee bit off topic...I have serve depression, and I play The Sims to get some relief..video gaming in general is therapy in a way for me...<3 Just saying.

    And that's fine :)

    What is not fine is a video game using your depression to target you in marketing.

    <3 Yes I agree.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 4,825 Member
    I've just come back to it after taking a month off. I think I got a bit too addicted. It's a good time to take a rest from the game round about October and come back to a new EP before Christmas so I'm looking forward to Discover University with Seasons.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,752 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    It's actually an eye opener for me how in the second video on page 1 here, a religious girl explains how playing a deviant and mean God makes her more aware of the positive values of her religion.
    Not going to lie, that is one of the reasons I play that way too. Glad you enjoyed the videos. I think the videos have shown how out of touch Gurus are with the Sims community now compared to then. Everything is based on stats and not interacting with the community as little as possible and having a computer do it for them which I find extremely sad especially for a game that is supposed to be a life simulation. It is like a life simulation of their rich lifestyle or ours? So far feels like their life simulation mostly. It is like how are you going to appeal to your customer if you don't even know them.

    Although the wannabe hip lingo of 10 years ago was annoying with the high pitch squeak parts, this is probably the first Sims 4 promo video in a long time that I could relate to. My university experience was a lot like this with the failure aspects and raising my nephew while in school.
    Storywise I like that video too. Not sure in what way it shows the game side of things, it doesn’t pull me in that way, but time will tell.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,799 Member
    edited November 2019
    Anywho... Ever since GTW, doesn't anybody else notice there become instant decline spoof videos (or idk how to call them). I am trying to make of correlation that there doesn't to be passionate for devs (with none of who plays the current game), the whole Maxis table probably takes the game producing as a job to finish the job. Of course there are likely exception, but those people are probably one or two that likes playing it (though many got lay off or quit). After the era of TS3, the sims youtube channel seem to stopped producing content other than showcasing trailers for DLC. And oh course, the promotional ad being the only exception I know.

    Point being through this incoherent ramble, tl;dr - ever since GTW, there hadn't been 'filter' videos like storylines, behind the scenes, etc. Ok I checked, come to winderburg could be like that filter video, but ehh it sort of marketing one too.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,474 Member
    Disgusting.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 879 Member
    I'm not going to pick on the people in the video because that's not fair. I do think a lot of the things they are saying could be true.

    Asking "why am I black?" isn't cringe to me. I think that's really sad actually and I truly hope that person gets help so that they learn to love them self.

    However, for deep rooted issues like that and others mentioned - Sims isn't a long term answer. Sure it feels great to play Sims after a stressful week but never to try to use as a personal therapist.
    You open the closet, it's just a closet. You never find the monster that hides inside. Not until it jumps out at you.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 17,615 Member
    I completely agree with this. Even though I use video games as an escape from my illness there is a fine line between using it for fun and burying your head so you can’t see the world. Weirdly enough when I’m really low mentally I can’t play the sims. It’s depressing to me to see my sims do normal things I can’t or struggle with. I can some times play other video games but The Sims franchise is a big no no. I read this article and the writer also acknowledges using the game as a crutch was not good for state of mind:
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8x8a53/i-couldnt-get-pregnant-so-i-played-the-sims-4

    You hit the nail on what has bothered me about the Sims 4 too and why I find it the most depressing iteration of the series. It is like they tried to make the Sims 4 like MySims which was made for kids and free from anything that is deemed dangerous. I mean I know that a lot that worked on MySims also work on the Sims 4, but I don't want the main game to be like MySims. It's why Simmers are so angry at each other. They have all this anger that normally they can vent in the game, vent it on social media instead and it just isn't healthy for anyone. It is like the idea of the purge instead of it happening in the game, it is happening in the Sims community and if EA wants to kill another Maxis community by making it too "safe" and depressing their customers to do dangerous acts like what happened with EA Sports that's on them to encourage that competitive and aggressive behavior within the community rather than providing a way to purge in their games by making them entertaining instead. No one likes to be bored out of their mind with preschool games.
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

    Everyone is a Simmer.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 31,162 Member
    edited November 2019
    Scobre wrote: »
    I completely agree with this. Even though I use video games as an escape from my illness there is a fine line between using it for fun and burying your head so you can’t see the world. Weirdly enough when I’m really low mentally I can’t play the sims. It’s depressing to me to see my sims do normal things I can’t or struggle with. I can some times play other video games but The Sims franchise is a big no no. I read this article and the writer also acknowledges using the game as a crutch was not good for state of mind:
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8x8a53/i-couldnt-get-pregnant-so-i-played-the-sims-4

    You hit the nail on what has bothered me about the Sims 4 too and why I find it the most depressing iteration of the series. It is like they tried to make the Sims 4 like MySims which was made for kids and free from anything that is deemed dangerous. I mean I know that a lot that worked on MySims also work on the Sims 4, but I don't want the main game to be like MySims. It's why Simmers are so angry at each other. They have all this anger that normally they can vent in the game, vent it on social media instead and it just isn't healthy for anyone. It is like the idea of the purge instead of it happening in the game, it is happening in the Sims community and if EA wants to kill another Maxis community by making it too "safe" and depressing their customers to do dangerous acts like what happened with EA Sports that's on them to encourage that competitive and aggressive behavior within the community rather than providing a way to purge in their games by making them entertaining instead. No one likes to be bored out of their mind with preschool games.

    TS4 is the first game where i get judged for letting bad things happen to Sims. I never was judged for that before. I'm a deviant player in many ways, but softened up over the years. I think seeing a Sim starve in The Sims would shock and horrify many new players today. It's not pretty with them begging for food, and looking right into camera begging the player. However, this is the first forum where I have seen players have to defend why they would allow some Sim to suffer. It used to be a common joke we slapped a Sim around because they were so darn annoying. Now, it's like omg, you are such a horrible person. Lyndsay said at the release of TS4 they didn't want players to feel bad for not taking care of their Sims etc., however, they have done the very opposite and removed anything that could help a player tell that story or type gameplay. It's' so childish, I never admit I have played it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,467 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    I completely agree with this. Even though I use video games as an escape from my illness there is a fine line between using it for fun and burying your head so you can’t see the world. Weirdly enough when I’m really low mentally I can’t play the sims. It’s depressing to me to see my sims do normal things I can’t or struggle with. I can some times play other video games but The Sims franchise is a big no no. I read this article and the writer also acknowledges using the game as a crutch was not good for state of mind:
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8x8a53/i-couldnt-get-pregnant-so-i-played-the-sims-4

    You hit the nail on what has bothered me about the Sims 4 too and why I find it the most depressing iteration of the series. It is like they tried to make the Sims 4 like MySims which was made for kids and free from anything that is deemed dangerous. I mean I know that a lot that worked on MySims also work on the Sims 4, but I don't want the main game to be like MySims. It's why Simmers are so angry at each other. They have all this anger that normally they can vent in the game, vent it on social media instead and it just isn't healthy for anyone. It is like the idea of the purge instead of it happening in the game, it is happening in the Sims community and if EA wants to kill another Maxis community by making it too "safe" and depressing their customers to do dangerous acts like what happened with EA Sports that's on them to encourage that competitive and aggressive behavior within the community rather than providing a way to purge in their games by making them entertaining instead. No one likes to be bored out of their mind with preschool games.

    TS4 is the first game where i get judged for letting bad things happen to Sims. I never was judged for that before. I'm a deviant player in many ways, but softened up over the years. I think seeing a Sim starve in The Sims would shock and horrify many new players today. It's not pretty with them begging for food, and looking right into camera begging the player. However, this is the first forum where I have seen players have to defend why they would allow some Sim to suffer. It used to be a common joke we slapped a Sim around because they were so darn annoying. Now, it's like omg, you are such a horrible person. Lyndsay said at the release of TS4 they didn't want players to feel bad for not taking care of their Sims etc., however, they have done the very opposite and removed anything that could help a player tell that story or type gameplay. It's' so childish, I never admit I have played it.

    I so agree with this. Our playstyles are similar. I remember back in the sims 1 days, the Prima Guide had a “tidbit from the developers” sections and those pieces of advice were: drown your unwanted sims in a pool by removing the ladder, have your sim marry a rich sim and repeat the above so they marry for money and leave the newbies house on fast forward after you get them jobs as in theory with all the essentials they would go to work and you could make money quickly.

    Can you imagine the devs inferring that now? Hell a dog house is considered cruel, pregnant sims can’t die and trying to bump off an unwanted sim means fighting the game. I remember my friend on here getting criticised for talking about drowning a sim. It’s just pixels, people!

    I don’t admit to playing the sims 4 either. My Husband’s work colleagues think it’s cool that I game as many of their wives/partners don’t; but he’ll will freeze over before I admit to them I play the sims 4😂
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top