Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you having fun playing Sims 4 without mods?

I've seen a lot of people saying that Sims 4 is unplayable or boring without mods. I've never needed any mods to enjoy the game and before finding this forum I didn't even know that so many players were using them. I'd like to know what do you think about the game with or without mods.

Are you having fun playing Sims 4 without mods? 303 votes

Yes, I don't need mods to enjoy the game.
33%
Akl500PFrn0731Nh6650Uzone27MRoss18451IcewolfJasexbecky685xstoryyTWSimGamer82lisamwittMi9shaoscarSleepycatDSLWritin_RegrhaliusmcruddDglbr1969elanorbretoninvisiblgirlsimgirl1010 103 votes
Yes, I can have fun without mods, but I have even more fun with them.
18%
bshag4lvicmnfrshJoBass24usGalacticGalSamadamsPlayerIceyJjeLlyBeAn1573SikoahGracePlayerSinger2010Isb917Thunderbat87etoshagoodcakebaker62PurpleThistlesSim2Sporephantasmkissstephanie132392stehlampeSimplyToritroshalom 56 votes
Yes, but I only use mods to fix the bugs.
5%
LaBlue0314IrdiwenzagboorulesCAF84papertonguehalloweenchildPositivibeeclue1234floCandiGir1ShanabananasLilMsMystic160ZiafarGrumpyGlowfishCheekyimpMarduc_PlaysheauxfinityMicxiAlexSimmerman 18 votes
No, I need mods to enjoy the game.
19%
CK213Kita5399alexspoom13NighteyesMadameLeeaelias24AlexaicandystormimhappyasimbsimZorgaMizz_Triceyamandajoy27AnmirlafriendlysimmersDJQ1308DevSims91NinoosimKalaniCoolmlmeadows 60 votes
No, the game is completely unplayable for me without mods.
17%
windweaverjeepjeepcatsims2freak737Colorist40keekee53MeteoraStormravynwolvfPaigeisin5alejandro15039sekojranalilpicallojheyjuneicefallenangel66Harukotyanwormstache999DevilNDisguiseAnnLee87TrashmagicCassandra52182catitude5 52 votes
Other
4%
BloosmooBMSOcheifeagleeyeluxsylvanOldeseadoggekappowanMDianaSimsNoree_DoreebelpitaLouise_G0325ListentoToppDogg_natalieSharoniaMissy77 14 votes

Comments

• Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    Vanilla all the way :) Happy simming everyone <3
  • Options
    _ayogabby__ayogabby_ Posts: 10 New Member
    Mods are nice but, they slow the game/computer down☹️.
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    yes definitely.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I have few mods, but I wouldn't watch mostly idle sim conversations. I use have personality mod so that they can use interactions from menu, be mischievous or mean if conversation is unpleasant, no idle at all.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Completely unplayable without mods. If I couldn’t have MCCC and it’s story progression features, I wouldn’t even consider playing.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I enjoy the game without mods very much. I'm not gonna lie I would love to have story progression as So_money already mentioned. Though I am scared that mods would break my game so I avoid all of them. I can only hope that story progression is going to be patched in some day :)
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I enjoy the completely vanilla version of this game very much. I think I've been mod free for at least 3 months this time. Sometimes I get an urge to try a different way to play though and put in a mod or some mods for a little while.. then I usually discard those saves that the mods where used in when I go back to vanilla play. Usually I go back to vanilla play for a new pack or because I'm getting too many errors in a modded game or it's running slower despite updating or trouble shooting.

egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,183 Member
    No, I need mods to enjoy the game.
    My favorite thing about Sims 3 was the story progression. It didn't always work, but it made sure that the families I didn't play as continued to grow on. So while my family continued for generations I'd see the families branch out. So then Sims 4 came along and just kind of....Yeah, just watching all the families die off and be replaced by random generated Sims completely kills the game for me. When update day comes around I stay off The Sims 4 until they update MCCC.
  • Options
    Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    Yes, but I only use mods to fix the bugs.
    Using mods to fix bugs, and some for comfort
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Yup. Saw some mods that looked interesting but never bothered with them since I don't feel they're necessary, I'm having fun with the same as is.
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    Playing vanilla, but tempted to add some mods to give soms more personality, they are so incredibly boring and similar.

But I fear once I start adding mods, I won't stop and it will just become one big mess that causes all kinds of issues.
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    edited October 2019
    i only use a few bits and pieces of cc for CAS, but i could easily live without them if i had to. no script mods. i hate those things
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I basically just use MCCC for fun. Any other mods I use actually have just fix bugs that I no longer can wait for Maxis to fix.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    S4 gives us a lot of options that we needed mods to accomplish in the past. It's now very easy to move Sims in and out of households, for example, and you no longer need to make and keep dozens of friends to advance in careers. I don't have time to patch mods every time the game updates, so I've made a hard pass on a few that are tempting.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Musical chair alone prevented to me to play the game properly.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Perhaps it is just my age, as I grew up in a time when there wasn't much in the way of electronic entertainment and toys weren't so regimented. There weren't set good guys or bad guys, and toys didn't have lore or stories associated, so you gave them names and built your own world without it having to give you feedback. That's how I always have seen Sims games. and The Sims 4 is no different in that respect. In fact, I feel more free to play than with its predecessor. Story progression gets in my way, and I don't need the world to "progress". I am the world.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I play without mods. I essentially make my own story progression which I like doing. I actually was irritated by story progression in TS3 and as a result found that I could really only play one household per save. This meant I had many saves and would end up abandoning them.

Now, I have numerous sims that I've made or played with interacting with each other. I have about hit the 200 sim limit for playable sims so I'll probably need to make some choices about my top 200. I'd probably be fine with story progression if I could mark out the households that I'd want to exempt from it but in the way I'm playing, I like not having it.

At this time I do not play with other mods or CC. I'm hesitant because of the needs to constantly update those mods. Maybe whenever the game is finalized I'll consider it. Even then, I don't know. I don't have a need for CC. As for mods, I'd think about MCCC or those added gameplay mods but not while the game is still adding content. I really don't want to risk messing up the game.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yeah, my game is mostly vanilla. :) I only use mods to fix something (premades turning into spellcasters, the horrible outfits at festivals, etc...) :)
    he/him
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Other
    For a long time I enjoyed the game just fine without any mods but then I got curious about some mods and now I can't imagine playing my game without them.

Currently I'm playing my game with Mccc, Npcc, Meaningful stories, Improved relationships and parts of the Slice of Life mod. I find these mods make the game so much more enjoyable. I also have some other mods that just fix bugs and bad design choices.
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I don't use a lot of mods, and the majority are just "tuning" mods. Faster eating and drinking, faster showers and baths, all beds same energy and comfort etc. Then a few that just stop things I don't like, no welcome wagon, no school goals, no school projects etc.

It makes it so I can play without having to speed up the game.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,448 Member
    I voted "other" because even though I use MCCC & UI Cheats Extension I feel I could easily play without them. Only use them for the convenience factor; too lazy sometimes lol.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    By "unplayable," I mean that I wouldn't have the desire to play. When the mod I have to stop townie generation breaks, I completely lose interest in the game until it's fixed. With the other mods I have (there aren't many,) it's really just small quality-of-life fixes that I could easily do without.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    Back in the sims 2 days I had loads of mods. I planned on playing vanilla and it was nice but I prefer to use a few mods. They give a bit more options I would like to have in the game.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I usually played without mods and I have a lot of fun. But I was torn between this option in the next one because I do use a foster home and MCCC in a different save. for the storyline I enjoy having them in that particular save but I wouldn't say that I enjoy it more than my other saves where I don't use it because I don't need them for my storyline. I like them both the same. I chose this option in the end because I play without them far more often than with
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Other
    Haven't really tried mods. I often download some cc, but then end up deleting them bc somehow it makes my game feel "dirty," which is illogical but dunno. I am not enjoying the game as much as I could be and am honestly angry at EA atm bc of how watered-down and cash-grabbing they have made it. I don't think I'll ever fully enjoy the actual gameplay (opposed to the mostly building that I do now) until the sims' personalities are fixed.