Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Men and Flirting

12346...Next

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2019
    The Sims 4 is not just a simulation of real life, it is also a parodic simulation of real life. So the actions and reactions are supposed to be unrealistic, mayne even unsettling. If we're looking for totally realistic human behaviour, maybe we're looking for a different game.

That said, I would love to have more romantic animations where different kinds of gender and sexual identities can be expressed, even if the touch of silliness remains.

This is not true. Not true at all.

All of TS games look into real human behaviour, it is a lifesimulator after all. If you deviate too much it will stop being one. The exaggeration of real life "mannerisms" and gestures doesn't have to be, shouldn't be, so over the top that it doesn't even look like flirting or kissing anymore. Your argument almost makes it seem like the woohoo fist bump is fine, which is not. Or when two sims become boyfriend and girlfriend or whatever, they make the weirdest animation where they curl up and wave their hands as if something cute just happened....that's weird, they should instead look passionately at each other instead.

TS2 is an astounding example of what I'm trying to say. If you've ever seen sims make out in the game or smooch up the arm or suck each other's faces, it's both realistic and funny. And I loved how sims would get hot and wave their hands to make themselves chill, when they were flirting. It was really funny yet, realistic. Not like the fist bump. It was also really funny the way sims in TS2 grabbed the partner like when they were sucking their face, it was hilarious.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    edited October 2019
    Sindocat wrote: »
    "Express Fondness" is a solid interaction without any silly animation. It improves Romantic relationship like Flirt. Choose your interaction to reflect how you want your Sim to interact. "My big, burly MAN with two Y chromosomes don't do that SISSY STUFF". Well, fine. Tell him to do something else.

Yeah, current animations don't really match my Khal Drogo sim. I mean, could you imagine him flirting like a sim? lol. Also, I usually try not to interfere with what the sims are doing. I like the AI to handle as much as possible. I will usually only jump in if they are stuck and about to pee themselves or starving to death due to bugs or something similar. That's why things like drinking 200 gallons of water a day and playing in the rain (indoors) bugs me so much.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Arzekial wrote: »
    Does anyone else have a problem with how feminine flirting for men is in the game? I know this may be a sensitive subject ( for some of you) but can we please have some more manly flirting please. I really feel left out... as a straight guy. lol

I am not particularly fond of most romantic interactions in Sims 4 anyways because of how unrealistic they are for any gender.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    drakharis wrote: »
    Does anyone else have a problem with how feminine flirting for men is in the game? I know this may be a sensitive subject ( for some of you) but can we please have some more manly flirting please. I really feel left out... as a straight guy. lol

I am not particularly fond of most romantic interactions in Sims 4 anyways because of how unrealistic they are for any gender.

Yeah, the game is pretty goofy overall. I guess I was hoping for a more serious life simulation game in the long run, but that will probably never happen from the way the devs are talking. They don't seem to take the game too seriously.

I'll just continue to rely on mods to add more realism and grit to the game I suppose.
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,656 Member
    I had a first today. My Sim went to the gym and met up with a friend, I put in for them to greet and they kissed on both cheeks. I have never seen that before. Both males. Anyone else seen that?
    It was actually quite nice. Nothing effeminate about it, just unexpected.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    @February11 Sims native to different worlds have different greeting styles. People kiss each other on both cheeks to greet each other in Latin countries, so perhaps one of the sims was a Selvadorada local or something.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited October 2019
    @Arzekial

While I was floating around the internet looking for ROM mods I came across info and a fix by Zero which sounds similar to what you are talking about as I too have noticed some changes of flirty behaviours where sims that do not know each other begin to flirt prior to engaging in normal conversation when they meet. I am not sure if this is exactly what you are experiencing but Zero describes this as follows:

it's called Fix For Mods that remove Idle Chatting

This is what is being experienced by her and other players:

They arrive and try to start the conversation being affectionate right away with sims they don't know. That first interaction gets skipped, the next in line is the Idle Chat. By removing the autonomy from it, in any way, the ability to start a conversation for NPCs is removed, too.

here is the link to the post and the fix

https://www.patreon.com/posts/fix-for-mods-30431338

There are also mods for no flirting and/or being happy if you require the auto flirting out of your game if you don't mind using mods.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/no-flirty-30676752

• Options
    @SPARKY1922

Thanks, I'll look into those. And I don't mind that sims flirt, I just wish it would match the individual sim's persona, but it's all the same.

• Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    February11 wrote: »
    I had a first today. My Sim went to the gym and met up with a friend, I put in for them to greet and they kissed on both cheeks. I have never seen that before. Both males. Anyone else seen that?

Were they in Windenburg? Its a common way to greet eachother there. I very much like that greeting, as I miss all the different ways sims could greet eachother from TS2 (don't remember if TS3 had different greetings or not), like the rough/earthy hug and "kiss kiss darling" :) I just like for my sims to greet eachother properly when they meet, instead of jumping right into a conversation.

As for the flirting, I also wish there were different flirt options/animations for males and females. I play mostly male sims, and I rarely have them do the "Flirt" interaction, because I think it looks silly when they do it. Its not even FUNNY silly. Its just like the reactions to celebrities, ALL sims behave like fangirls at a One Direction concert (or whatever boyband is hot right now...?) One size fits all, and I'd think the Sims series would have come farther by now, to have different animations for different genders and ages, at least a couple of options? Its disappointing and a bit sad.
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,656 Member
    Kathykins wrote: »

Were they in Windenburg? Its a common way to greet eachother there. I very much like that greeting, as I miss all the different ways sims could greet eachother from TS2 (don't remember if TS3 had different greetings or not), like the rough/earthy hug and "kiss kiss darling" :) I just like for my sims to greet eachother properly when they meet, instead of jumping right into a conversation.

As for the flirting, I also wish there were different flirt options/animations for males and females. I play mostly male sims, and I rarely have them do the "Flirt" interaction, because I think it looks silly when they do it. Its not even FUNNY silly. Its just like the reactions to celebrities, ALL sims behave like fangirls at a One Direction concert (or whatever boyband is hot right now...?) One size fits all, and I'd think the Sims series would have come farther by now, to have different animations for different genders and ages, at least a couple of options? Its disappointing and a bit sad.
    Kathykins wrote: »

Yes, it was in Windenburg. It was really nice, a good old European kiss. My sims don't go there often, but I've been giving Windenburg a make over so will be definitely a destination of choice now.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @SPARKY1922

Thanks, I'll look into those. And I don't mind that sims flirt, I just wish it would match the individual sim's persona, but it's all the same.

You are welcome I was certainly not judging flirting/not flirting or how others like to play their own games just providing options I thought might be useful that I had already come across :)

Enjoy your game :)

• Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    That little coy wave-back flirting animation is rather effeminate in my book as well. Waggling eyebrows or a hinting wink would be more fitting imho. I feel it wouldn't necessarily ruin the (intended or not) cartoonish feel if done well.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted