Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will we ever have drivable cars in TS4?

Comments

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Logisitcs wrote: »
    Cars (gas powered ones) cause damage to the environment so this woke dev team wont include them. Course they can’t think past their own nose to know bikes could be a simple inclusion and even scooters.

This is a game not real life. I hope that isn't the reason cars haven't been added.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I think they will happen, the big question is when. Cars should work similarly in Sims 4 as they did in Sims 2, although I don't know how they will handle those lots that aren't even attached to any roads or have no space at all for driveways. Will they redo the worlds? I'm curious to see how they implement them.
  • lasydaisy1122lasydaisy1122 Posts: 66 Member
    I also would like school buses in addition to cars etc in Sims 4.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Is the real reason why they won't have open worlds in Sims 4 got to due with the fact that Sims 3 kept freezing up & that they still don't have the proper programming for Sims 4.

no, sims 4 was created to be a multiplayer online game which is why open world wasn't a thing. its not because of programming, its not cause of lack of technology to support it, it was just them creating an engine to host online servers and switched back to an offline game with one year of back-track development after simcity crashed and burned.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    Marnetti wrote: »
    I think the reason why drivable cars aren't practical is the lack of open world. You have to go through a loading screen just to visit your neighbor. Cars are pretty much useless because of that. I also think it is a shame they aren't a feature, but I don't see how they can be added to the game as it is.

There were cars in the Sims 2 though, and those were the best cars the Sims series had.

There were, but when your Sim arrived, there was a place to park the car. No such place exists in any of the neighborhoods in Sims 4, so the car would have to go into your personal inventory. (Heck, a lot of residential lots don't have a place to park.) And having it only work as far as leaving your own lot really would make it pointless. They were almost pointless in Sims 2, and your Sims could/would happily walk anywhere.

I could only see a few ways for cars to be implemented in any fashion.
    1. Purely decorative and non -fuctional decorations you can use in your driveway to make the house look "complete." This could even include a buildable car.
    2. In a new neighborhood specifically designed with cars in mind, that includes parking spaces. Or has a train or subway you can take all over the neighborhood.
    3. A lot where your Sim can go race cars.

I dislike teleporting everywhere, it's weird. And I miss that "normal" aspect of play you get from having cars. But I just don't see it happening. It's obvious they didn't intend to have them.
    They did plan on having cars they were just one of the features cut from base game toddlers being another... Here's one of @SimGuruGrant interviews from 2013 SimGuruGrant: Sims will definitely be able to own and have cars! As far as how they will function, I cannot comment on that yet. I do know that opening doors, like in The Sims 2, would require a lot from our animations team, so this may or may not happen.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    edited September 2019
    Cars (gas powered ones) cause damage to the environment so this woke dev team wont include them. Course they can’t think past their own nose to know bikes could be a simple inclusion and even scooters.

This is a game not real life. I hope that isn't the reason cars haven't been added.

it isnt. this person is probably upset that the dev team are adding in more diversity and insulting their intelligence.

whole worlds have to be re-worked to support cars, thats why newer worlds look more car friendly (del sol valley, the driveways in realm of magic) while other ones don't cause they were created when cars weren't on their to-do list while developing the game. i think we're getting them, its just a matter of when they're able to retrofit older worlds to be accessible by vehicles. islands like in windenburg will have to have access points with boats (like how brindleton bay has boat docks). areas without road access like the city will probably have to be re-worked to be able to support sim transportation, so, its a large task. they know fans want it so we'll probably get it eventually, and the simgurus have never really flat out denied them ever happening like open world and create a style.
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    Doubtful.
  • akasevenakaseven Posts: 279 Member
    cheescaeks wrote: »

it isnt. this person is probably upset that the dev team are adding in more diversity and insulting their intelligence.

whole worlds have to be re-worked to support cars, thats why newer worlds look more car friendly (del sol valley, the driveways in realm of magic) while other ones don't cause they were created when cars weren't on their to-do list while developing the game. i think we're getting them, its just a matter of when they're able to retrofit older worlds to be accessible by vehicles. islands like in windenburg will have to have access points with boats (like how brindleton bay has boat docks). areas without road access like the city will probably have to be re-worked to be able to support sim transportation, so, its a large task. they know fans want it so we'll probably get it eventually, and the simgurus have never really flat out denied them ever happening like open world and create a style.

Its a very good point, maybe when they rework the world's for our Sims can swimg on lakes and river cars come to. Maybe in 20th anniversary?

Anyways one thing that I saw in a video of expect of universities in YouTube it's the retorn of bikes, I think possible, maybe they can behave like jetskis.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Doubtful considering the roads we have now aren’t real, they’re FX. They’d have to not only create functional cars, but redo all the roads in the game which I don’t see them doing. But who knows, maybe they’ll surprise us. 🤷‍♀️
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I think the reason why drivable cars aren't practical is the lack of open world. You have to go through a loading screen just to visit your neighbor. Cars are pretty much useless because of that. I also think it is a shame they aren't a feature, but I don't see how they can be added to the game as it is.

There were cars in the Sims 2 though, and those were the best cars the Sims series had.

There were, but when your Sim arrived, there was a place to park the car. No such place exists in any of the neighborhoods in Sims 4, so the car would have to go into your personal inventory. (Heck, a lot of residential lots don't have a place to park.) And having it only work as far as leaving your own lot really would make it pointless. They were almost pointless in Sims 2, and your Sims could/would happily walk anywhere.

1. Purely decorative and non -fuctional decorations you can use in your driveway to make the house look "complete." This could even include a buildable car.
    2. In a new neighborhood specifically designed with cars in mind, that includes parking spaces. Or has a train or subway you can take all over the neighborhood.

I dislike teleporting everywhere, it's weird. And I miss that "normal" aspect of play you get from having cars. But I just don't see it happening. It's obvious they didn't intend to have them.
    They did plan on having cars they were just one of the features cut from base game toddlers being another... Here's one of @SimGuruGrant interviews from 2013 SimGuruGrant: Sims will definitely be able to own and have cars! As far as how they will function, I cannot comment on that yet. I do know that opening doors, like in The Sims 2, would require a lot from our animations team, so this may or may not happen.

It's still obvious the worlds weren't designed for them. Him saying he wants sims to own cars doesn't mean they will somehow shoehorn them into existing worlds, it just means he wants sims to own cars. Like I said, they could very well end up being decorative. If they are going to be functional, we'd need a new world.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    Honestly, I don't think it's possible, considering most lots are not connected to roads. I'm 100% ok with them not adding cars to Sims 4. I'd be happy if they added more and better looking "decorative" cars instead.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I would prefer not to have cars in my Sim world. I'm fine with them walking everywhere. But public transportation options like trains, or self-powered options like bicycles, could be fun.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    While I do miss cars, I just think at this point in the game not having them isn't a big deal. I also don't see how they can be used other than a few interactions similar to Sims2 of sitting at the curb (if that neighborhood even has a curb) because some of these lots don't even have a drive access to a road.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I hope so. I've decided I want 2 Wheel Drive and F Wheel Drive cars and trucks and rural lot traits if they do come. I hope to see the return of carpools, taxis(even an uber), schoolbuses, limos, and NPC vehicles.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member

more like too much animation and time so they just focus on the environment rather any meaningful gameplay
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member

It's still obvious the worlds weren't designed for them. Him saying he wants sims to own cars doesn't mean they will somehow shoehorn them into existing worlds, it just means he wants sims to own cars. Like I said, they could very well end up being decorative. If they are going to be functional, we'd need a new world.
    You clearly did not understand what was said by SimGuruGrant. This is a interview from 2013 Sims 4 was released in 2014 cars were planned but cut so when people say cars were never planned cars don't fit in this game that is a lie those same people said the same thing about toddlers. The only reason cars are not in this game is because its a rushed unfinished base game they were forced to push it out on a extremely rushed deadline date and we all suffered because of it.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    edited September 2019

You clearly did not understand what was said by SimGuruGrant. This is an interview from 2013 Sims 4 was released in 2014 cars were planned but cut so when people say cars were never planned cars don't fit in this game that is a lie those same people said the same thing about toddlers. The only reason cars are not in this game is because its a rushed unfinished base game they were forced to push it out on an extremely rushed deadline date and we all suffered because of it.

I understood it fine. I said they weren't intended, because I didn't know they were. I never heard or read anything about cars. I don't follow Twitter.
    Then I saw his statement that they were planned, proving me wrong in that.
    Then I said it was still clear that the world's weren't designed for them, and that if he wants us to have cars, there must be another way we will get them than putting them into the existing worlds.
    They were apparently planned, but not executed. Hence... the worlds weren't designed for them.
    edited September 2019
    Hubby and I were talking about this question, and he disagrees with me. He thinks they *could* add them in by expanding existing lots into the "set dressing" areas and adding parking lots. But, then there's still a lot of stuff to work out in that scenario, it wouldn't be simple, so he doesn't think they'll bother.
    He thinks the most likely scenario is a new world with cars exclusive to it. And maybe bicycles or scooters in the others that can utilize the existing walking pathways.
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I hope we at least get bikes
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Is the real reason why they won't have open worlds in Sims 4 got to due with the fact that Sims 3 kept freezing up & that they still don't have the proper programming for Sims 4.

I recently just reinstalled Origin (after two years of it being removed) and my games were also uninstalled. (reinstalled them) Fresh game, no saves, no cc etc. The game froze the second time I took my Sim to one of my restaurants. They just sat there, still breathing but not moving. I don't have all the EPs and GPs, stopped at Parenthood. Only way to get out of that freeze was to hit M for map and have my Sim go back home. TS3 gets a lot of flack around here, but TS4 isn't any better with performance, either.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • HCSauHCSau Posts: 506 Member
    edited September 2019
    I miss watching my sim parents teach their teens to drive (TS3). Couldn't that be just around the neighbourhood?
    Cars in TS2 were just taking you down rabbit holes or to loading screens. It was fun to be able to work on them though.
    Yeah, now I think about it it would be nice to have cars back. I wouldn't say I would get depressed should they never come back. It would be nice.
    HSau :)
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Then why did they add boats ? They pollute the oceans a lot.....I don’t think it’s their reason.

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I noticed it seems all houses in Glimmerbrook have driveways. Why would they do that if they didn’ t at least consider the possibility of adding cars ?
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I noticed it seems all houses in Glimmerbrook have driveways. Why would they do that if they didn’ t at least consider the possibility of adding cars ?

I don't have ROM. That's interesting to hear. Does make you think since none of the others have them.
  • simskeletonsimskeleton Posts: 605 Member
    Sorry to post in this thread, since it hasn't had any recent replies. It is my post, though.

I just wanted to point out how the new patch update came with a transportation section in buy/build mode! This gives me new hope for cars in the future!