Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I feel like Maxis is ending the series on The Sims 4

1235...Next

Comments

• troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Well @Lady_Ballora I just started playing TS4 Christmas 2018, so I'm not going anywhere, I have lots of game to play, I have barely scratched the surface of the EPs, etc I purchased. And that can be said for the rest of us late adopters. I think if you've been playing consistently since 2014 you are ready for something new and may move over to another game. From what I read in the articles I posted above looks like they are/have hired someone for the live service, new IP with experience with licensing, so it may be a Sims spinoff based on some licensing agreements. Until EA/Maxis announces it, it is all speculative.

However, I think with the modders and Game Changers (and they are recruiting new Game Changers too, I recently applied, doubt I get in, but I tried) I don't think TS4 will be dying down anytime soon, there is still mega excitement and a huge fan base for this game.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • simsgames2324simsgames2324 Posts: 20 Member
    Im looking forward to a Sims 5, so I really hope that´s not true.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2019

As the above Simmer stated, they have already hired someone to handle the live service for the new game. Much like a CM to sell the 'brand' to other markets and handle the live service side of things. The job was posted on Glassdoor a few months ago. So, don't worry, TS5 is coming and it's not that far into the future. Don't know if I will like it but I think we see more (Not less) in this coming year. It just stands to reason if they have hired the person to handle the live service side of things, it's not that far away. (And no, it's not a spin off, it's a AAA game.)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

As the above Simmer stated, they have already hired someone to handle the live service for the new game. Much like a CM to sell the 'brand' to other markets and handle the live service side of things. The job was posted on Glassdoor a few months ago. So, don't worry, TS5 is coming and it's not that far into the future. Don't know if I will like it but I think we see more (Not less) in this coming year. It just stands to reason if they have hired the person to handle the live service side of things, it's not that far away. (And no, it's not a spin off, it's a AAA game.)

I don't think that's necessarily true. A good live service has to be built into the game engine, doesn't it? And developing usually begins somewhere with the game engine. I would hope that they wouldn't wait until the game is near completion to add live service in because I think that would be like shoehorning a mechanic it wasn't built for and messing with the performance. Depending on what they plan to do with their live service means it could be more complicated than Sims 4. If they wanted to add in a store and connect it in game like Sims 3 did, I would think that's got to be part of the system mechanics before they put the actual content into the game. (Again, I'm speculating because I'm not a developer.)

But a game being a live service means more than just operating with an internet connection. It includes transfer of content - both free and paid, bug fixes, hot fixes, telemetry, patches and possibly microtransactions as well as advertising. It's a service for the game, via game connection to the devs, it's more than marketing.

Or something to that effect, lol.
    #Team Occult
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2019
    LiELF wrote: »

I don't think that's necessarily true. A good live service has to be built into the game engine, doesn't it? And developing usually begins somewhere with the game engine. I would hope that they wouldn't wait until the game is near completion to add live service in because I think that would be like shoehorning a mechanic it wasn't built for and messing with the performance. Depending on what they plan to do with their live service means it could be more complicated than Sims 4. If they wanted to add in a store and connect it in game like Sims 3 did, I would think that's got to be part of the system mechanics before they put the actual content into the game. (Again, I'm speculating because I'm not a developer.)

But a game being a live service means more than just operating with an internet connection. It includes transfer of content - both free and paid, bug fixes, hot fixes, telemetry, patches and possibly microtransactions as well as advertising. It's a service for the game, via game connection to the devs, it's more than marketing.

The job wasn't for someone to build live service into the UI but how to handle it with PR. ETA: When I read the requirements it sounded like a marketing job to me. But I may not be able to comprehend it correctly.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

The job wasn't for someone to build live service into the UI but how to handle it with PR. ETA: When I read the requirements it sounded like a marketing job to me. But I may not be able to comprehend it correctly.

Ah, okay. I don't fully understand it either.

But now I wonder if it was for the console Gallery update that's coming up because it connects to the PC users. Doesn't the Gallery count as part of the live service too? I would think it does, since it's an online in-game "service" of sorts.

I confess, I never really consider the console development in my speculations because I don't play console these days but it would make sense.
    #Team Occult