Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Issues with ex-butler and with neighbors

At the moment, I see two issues in my current game that may or may not make problems.

1) Before my household split and moved, they had some butler. About half of the family moved up on the hill in SV (this remained the active family), and afterwards the other half moved to the other end of town. I actually deleted the original house that was full of stuff in the next step and placed another house back from the library. I noticed that the old butler still lives there. He's not a resident, doesn't own the house (the house counts as empty), but he is sitting in there, using the pools, etc., or in other words, he's not disabled like other inactive service people. Can I just annihilate him, or does that cause issues? There's too many service people in my town anyway.

2) Up on the hill in SV, both neighbors on both sides (Landgraab and Alto) produce constant error messages about being unroutable. When I look, they are actually in the original parking position near the entrances. Is this due to those houses being close enough to be in some kind of half-rendered state? Can I do anything about that?

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    1 - It should be fine to use NRaas MasterController to TA the butler. But he's just a Service Sim now ostensibly without a valid assignment. Personally I would MC Reset him to return him to the available service pool.

2 - It sounds like you may have Overwatch, assuming it's in play, set to auto-reset sims who are deemed stuck or unroutable. While that's the default setting, it's not usually as helpful as having it not do that because by the time you focus the game camera on the supposedly stuck/unroutable sims, they have already been reset. If we wish to find the problem that causes such recurrences, we have to catch them while they are still stuck, not after they have been reset to a safe place.

NRaas > Overwatch > Settings > Stuck Check > True
    NRaas > Overwatch > Settings > Stuck Check Auto-Reset > False

You may find something simple that needs to be adjusted, like a broken/stuck open and in-use door on each lot or something along those lines.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited August 2019
    Ah, cool. That sounds like a plan. Let's see why both of those houses have issues. Maybe, it's the beds, because I had a few of those bug out in my family's house, too.
    Thanks!
    edited August 2019
    In the meanwhile, I ran some longer test. Switching off auto-reset didn't change anything about the Landgraabs or Altos, but it caused Sam Sekemoto being stuck for full six days in a fenced off square that was that small that it didn't even allow him to pass out, which means I had an excellent internal control. Who doesn't love internal controls. No worries, the game finally reset him after six days.

I started the test game with my current main family that lives at the end of Summer Hill Court in SV. The Landgraab's were registered as "stuck" on game start, which means I switched over to them. I followed Nancy's and Geoffrey's not overly exciting lives for about a sim week, during which Nancy finished her LTW, and I generally let them do whatever they wanted. None of the rooms or objects had any problems with being entered or used. When Nancy rolled the wish to invite Parker Langerak over, I let her do this, and I let her ask him to stay overnight. Parker also didn't have many issues, except when it came to beds. As soon as he fell asleep, he woke up and got up. He cycled through this until morning, and he tried three different beds. He then left when Nancy left for work. On a different day, Nancy failed to leave for work when I didn't have the camera pointed at the lot.

I switched to Nick Alto, who also always got these "stuck" messages, and it was more or less the same. He had no issues at all doing anything he wanted, and the Landgraabs got their "stuck" messages again. Interestingly, this time they were usually found in front of the house, not inside, like it was normal from my family's lot, which is closer. There was one occasion of someone getting stuck at the park in between the three houses.

Interestingly, the only issue of anyone being stuck on my "home" lot was because the game decided to reshuffle the work and school assignments of the teens in that household, and the one sent to science school couldn't go there. That rules out science building number 4 in my ongoing separate test.

The results are somewhat inconclusive. I managed to find some real issues on two other lots, which I intend to fix (like that little fenced square), and pretty much all of the other stuck sims had easily identifiable problems, like having their feet buried in a foundation, and most were pets stuck on foundations or behind fences. Which brings me back to my original guess, which was that the neighbors of my "main" family exist in some half-rendered state, where the game tries to push them to do things with objects that do not really "exist" yet, until I move the camera there.

The second issue is still one with beds. I use NRAAS SleepFreedom. Not sure whether it somehow broke when I activated ITF, but both coincided.

TLDR, I don't really know what to make of this.
    It shouldn't be necessary to switch active households to investigate why a sim is being reported as stuck by OW. We don't want to see their behavior when they are the actively controlled household, we want to see what their issues are when they are inactives.

NRaas > MC > Sim >Basic > Focus to focus the game camera on them.
    (I use this command so often that I have it "hot-keyed" so that for me the command is just MC > Focus)

NRaas > MC > Open to open up a residential lot so we can see how inactives are behaving on their own both inside and outside of it. You may have to zoom in and out a bit to get the interior of a lot to reveal itself properly and wait a few game minutes (like two or three) for any inhabitants inside to come out of hibernation mode.

NRaas > MC > Close to close the lot back up again when finished. Too many lots MC > Opened at the same time can be a drag on game resources (how many is too many will vary by town and the system being played on).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I usually right-click sims in the relationship panel of the currently active sim. I did this already originally. The Landgraabs and Nick Alto are most of the time tired, but they don't go anywhere. They just stand there.
    OK, as already mentioned, there's nothing out of the ordinary when you watch the Landgraabs or Nick Alto even when they are not the active family. The messages come up when the camera is not focused on them.

As the beds continue to bug out in my game, I even replaced all their beds. I still have to see what effect that has, but Nick now actually had a real issue when I made him active in order to replace the beds in his house: He was standing in his house and wanted to "watch the activation of..." with a thumbnail of the Group Science Project. That one is located on the front yard of my family lot, but behind the paparazzi fence, which means he cannot reach it. Not sure why the game lets him pick an object on a private yard. Maybe, because it's technically not a "real" buy object?
    Not sure that the Group Science Project is meant to be placed on a private residential lot. I've never done that, perhaps others here have. But it may be designed to call out/advertise itself to sims and not take lack of accessibility into account.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I'll try and place it in the park next door. Although, there may also be the possibility that the game was simply confused, as it produced an error upon saving. I'll check sometime soon.
    edited September 2019
    Just to bring this to a conclusion, the Group Science Project was indeed the issue. The main problem seemed to have been that I have the habit to leave it in a "primed" state, by which I mean that a sim has only to pull the lever to initiate the double skill gain bonus. I moved it to the park on the other side of the road, and as soon as that green light column appeared above the Group Science Project, 4 sims came running, one of them Geoffrey Landgraab. He then went on to actually use the object, after I had a sim pull the lever.

The messages about unroutable neighbors have ceased.

I never said what happened regarding the butler. I used the MC reset a few times on him, to no avail. He stayed in the house. At some point, I decided to just leave him be. Someone who moved out of the current family house bought the house again (it was not owned by anyone in the meantime), and the butler is still there and works there. Let's see whether he needs to get paid.
    When I played the Landgraab family, I finally noticed the message "I will take my 1200 for the week, thank you!". I sent Geoffrey down to the Koffi house, and he could fire Jarrett Bourgeois, who actually left. Seconds later, a butler came running up to the Koffi house again and is now living there. His name is Sean Cooley, and he is also reset resistant. Let's see whether he is paid by anyone.

This is becoming some kind of slapstick.
    I wonder if I can remove all butler sims from the role in NRAAS Register.
    Turjan wrote: »
    I wonder if I can remove all butler sims from the role in NRAAS Register.
    Except for a couple of goofy counterexamples (Uni Mascots and the Paparazzi), Role Sims are those who are tied to particular role giving objects. Butlers are Service Sims, not Role Sims. You could remove all current butlers from the service pool by way of MasterController or I suppose TA them, but either way new ones will spawn to fill up the service pool again as needed.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    OK, I can try my luck. Given that the butlers seem to be called by the lot, the issue may lie there. If nothing helps, I probably have to bulldoze the base lot.