Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build a house or get one off the gallery?

I'd like to know.

Build a house or get one off the gallery? 197 votes

Get a house off the gallery for simplicity
46%
DerellaKita5399IceyJxbecky685xDawnEnigma1gettpsColorist40overonAnnie2008PlayerSinger2010AlrynnIsb917keekee53DOLLDRMS1Mizz_Triceysimgirl1010loubyloulougoodcakebaker62SimplyJenwildernessgirl 91 votes
Build a home
53%
Akl500Pauroraael14CK213Frn0731JoBass24usIdontrcallGalacticGalIcewolfjeepjeepcatSimmervilleSleepycatDSLsimlish1KelleygirlWritin_RegSimburiansimm621BloosmooinvisiblgirlmunchiepooWyrren 106 votes

Comments

• happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Build a home
    The search engine is too limited (why can't we search by number of bedrooms/bathrooms), the gallery is an unmoderated mess, and even if it wasn't, I don't trust most sim players sense of scale, everything is too big.

Pass.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Build a home
    I am not the most skilled builder, but I know exactly what facilities I want for my Sims. It's simpler for me to just build for their needs.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited August 2019
    Unless I'm going for something very specific, like recreating my real home in the game, I usually download a building from the gallery, throw out half of the furniture and redecorate, partly because I want to tailor it to the sims who are going to live there, and partly because builders tend to annoy me with their overuse of clutter and MOO. I'm not great at building, especially exterior facades and roofs, so I appreciate the option to have that done by people who are much more talented, and concentrate my own efforts mainly on the interior design. (And that alone usually takes longer than I have the patience for it, with none of the stuff matching the way I need it to...)
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Gallery as I can't build at all. My houses look like big boxes.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I wish I could build, but to learn I would have to take time away from playing the game. So I really appreciate the gallery. I do wish there were not so many duplicate items though. I usually type in the name of the lot I'm replacing which often brings up homes in a similar style to the surrounding neighborhood. I also look under the most popular heading since, for some reason, I am more likely to find homes that don't use every pack in existence. I am still far from completing the collection.
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    I don't have the imagination or patience to build, so I search the gallery, although it requires some patience to find a house that matches the sim's budget and isn't totally empty. C'mon, if you're gonna upload a house to the gallery, then have some furniture in it!!!
  • FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    Build a home
    I prefer to build because my Sims' houses have to look exactly like I want them. I got a couple of town buildings off the gallery though (one nice cozy bistrot and one majestic looking antique Spa).
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • smh678smh678 Posts: 92 Member
    Build a home
    Eziwolf wrote: »
    I prefer to build because my Sims' houses have to look exactly like I want them. I got a couple of town buildings off the gallery though (one nice cozy bistrot and one majestic looking antique Spa).

I build my sims houses to tailor their needs because I may not be able to find one that matches what I want.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Build a home
    Building is my favorite part of Sims 4! I usually take house plans I find online (or from a book I have) and build those. I do run out of ideas, so I like joining challenges, and some of my favorite builds came from challenges, or from suggestions or requests.

Every once in a while I want to play, and I usually use one of my own builds, though I might tinker with them to suit my game.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • CatnipSimzCatnipSimz Posts: 18 Member
    I've been trying to improve on my building recently, since i'm only really good at interior decorating.
    For now I just buy a base house from the gallery then put in my own furniture.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Build a home
    I prefer to build as builders in the game tend to use moo a lot or cheats and they oft times create little issues in the game - so I will build my own not to have bugs and glitches. Granted people build some amazing looking lots - they are talented for sure - but i just rather have no games issues.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    When it comes to a house that I'll actually be playing in, I usually get something off the gallery and then edit it to my liking. I just don't have the time to build, and to be honest I don't enjoy it very much to begin with. Editing a lot is a lot more enjoyable to me than building one from scratch, though.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,321 Member
    Build a home
    I love building, so most of the time I build my own homes. I also build community lots. But I do sometimes download lots.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • AgenaAgena Posts: 36 Member
    Build a home
    Build a house 99% of the time. Building is actually my favorite part of the game.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Build a home
    I mostly build my own. Sometimes I get something off the gallery if it's a style I am not good at. Like Victorian mansions or something. And then I download it without furniture. And then I make it how I want the layout to be.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Heck, sometimes I don't even bother with the gallery at all and stick with the Maxis premades houses.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Both, it all depends on my mood. If I'm in the mood to build or remodel I will.
  • olvrbsnolvrbsn Posts: 45 Member
    Depends on which gamestyle i tend to do. Wanna build my own but i’m bad at it and there are tons of great creation in gallery >.<
  • simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Build a home
    I'm not a great builder but I like to build my own. There are really nice houses on the gallery but I just like having my own in the game.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    Build a home
    Some of both, but more a builder now than before. I used to use the gallery alot and still do sometimes for ideas, or empty shells, but most houses tend to have too much clutter/stuff for my sims.
  • blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,371 Member
    Build a home
    I usually build one or edit a premade home if I'm playing in it. Otherwise I like to use the gallery to fill the empty lots and for community lots.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Build a home
    I love building in TS4, it's one of my favourite things to do. I am also very particular when it comes to how I like my houses and their layouts so it just works better for me to do it myself.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    I'd love to build my own homes, but I'm just so unskilled at it lmao. There's a couple of downloads that I use all the time. I usually modify and redecorate or add on extra rooms myself, but I can't even hope to be as talented as most builders :# I do wish the gallery was less of a mess though.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    You should have had a 'both' option :D

Totally depends on my mood/whether I want something specific, tailored to my own requirements.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    For myself, I build (even though I don't really like the process and it takes ages).
    When I just plop down a household to populate the town(s)'s empty lot(s), then I just grab a simple starter home from the gallery and that's it.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.