Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

fav way to make money?

What is your fav way to make money? either job or hobby?

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Any way that allows me to play with my sim still, usually working from home.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Painting is my #1. In previous games, painting raised fun skill and Sims always want to paint anyway, so why not let them?

For quick cash in an emergency, I send my Sims running around the neighborhood at home to collect things and sell them right out of their inventory.

My Sims almost always have regular day jobs, but those are my favorite (and favorite super-quick) ways.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited August 2019
    I don't really have a favorite way, I do whatever fits with my Sim. Some work hard at their career. Some do lots of "freelance" stuff like painting, or collecting and selling stuff they find, programming, or playing instruments for tips. Some marry wealthy Sims or have people move in they can live off of. My last Sim actually just moved in with Judith Ward, killed her, and then used her assets to live off of.

The one thing I never do for my Sims is cheat. I do occasionally cheat if I'm setting up a townie's story, to get them where I need them to be, but not with the Sims I'm playing.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • NylaliaNylalia Posts: 64 Member
    I like gardening. I used to have my sim sit there every day and write bestsellers, until I discovered that selling harvested flowers each day yielded many more simoleons, with fewer hours of effort.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I feel like my favorite is the one I use the most which is painting. I enjoy having sims paint and it’s a good money maker. I also really enjoy the freelancer careers as a good way to make some extra simolians.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I really enjoy painting. I like that you can see the finished product.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited August 2019
    Depends on the sim for me painting or writing if they are creative usually. If they are opportunistic I might make them a painting club and they socialize and sell other's work.. Gardening isn't as lucrative but it's not bad when it starts going. Collecting isn't too bad for starting off. If they are evil they move in a sim and do away with them (keeping their money)... or black widow around. Fishing can be good after getting skilled at it.
    Most other sims just go to work and get ahead slowly.
    egTcBMc.png
  • _000key_000key Posts: 168 Member
    I like the idea of creating your own things in the diy table or any other thing that is made by yourself like photography, crafts, baking and then selling them in your own store. I think that is the most realistic and great way to feel that money is hard to get. A d it fixes the idea of getting money by going into the rabbit home job or the repetitive doctor,scientist, police job. Or you can be an archeologist and sell your finds from selvadorada.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    Yard sale. :p

I love doing this for sims that work from home and I never sell things form their inventory, so I always have them sell things they find or make. One of the most useful items from City Living and Jungle Adventure. Had a sim have a bake sale and just sale plates of cookies and brownies. Not overly lucrative, but enough to help a sim that's a stay at home parent to make an 'okay' living.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Writing. It takes a bit to set up, true, but Screenplays, Science Fiction and Mystery all have really good returns on Royalties and those royalties keep coming in for 20 days after publication, so you can take a day or three off on occasion- unlike with gardening - especially if you write several in advance and then just publish them each day. They only take about 4 sim hours to write.
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    Like @lisamwitt I choose careers for Sims according to their story/personality.
    But as for work/fun/reward ratio, my faves are Gardening (skill, not career) and Archaeology.
  • VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    edited August 2019
    Fishing and gardening, but they can be pretty broken.
    For fishing
    1. You can get the aspiration trait where all bad moodlets just basically melt away when fishing
    2. Ability to fish up Violins, they sell for 10,000$. It's from a specific spot, also its gives cowberries. (you can catch them both at lvl 1)

For gardening
    1.Unlimited death flowers, so infinite revives
    2.Have you seen how much dragonfruit sells for? It's an absurd amount
    EMrBkJP.png
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited August 2019
    Definitely gardening.
    If I start a new game I start it usually on spring and go to Willow Creek's cheapest neighborhood to get Snapdragons. Then I plant as many of them as I can and because they don't take a lot of time to grow, soon I can expand the garden. My Sim sells them for decent amount of money every day.
    As soon as I get an announcement of Romance Festival I take my Sim there to get Birds of Paradise flowers and plant a lot of them. They will make my Sim rich quite fast so I can upgrade home or even the whole house. Usually I delete half of the garden later, I just keep few planters to have money flowing every day, depending on what my plans for the game play are.
    If my Sim ends up being a gardener, then he/she will be super rich really fast, especially after he's able to get Dragonfruits. My favorite gardener Sim makes about 80 000 Simoleons every day (during autumn) with just them. His wife is a painter who paints a lot of masterpieces, so they and their 2 children are the richest family of all my saves.
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Writing and gardening turn the tidiest of profits but painting isn't far off. From everything i read, gardening can turn the most profits by getting your gardening skill to 10 and then start grafting certain plants together to create ones that can be sold for a lot of money (as written by others above).

Writing can be time consuming, but if you keep at it you can make upwards of 8k to however much you want. however books you write and sell to publishers have a limited time window they sell for, so eventually you''ll need to replace any losses in book sales.

At first paintings don't sell for much, so you should level that skill up whenever you can to get the most out of your sims painting abilities, although collectively you won't make as much as writing from a single sim, you still make a tidy sum.

Always wanted to try out gardening.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    All my Sims have a 9-5 and then some. They’re all hustlers.
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    Orchid gardens. Two million simoleons a week.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2019
    Careers. I love having my sims skill up or do other requirements in order to get promotions. The careers where we can choose to join with our sims are my favourite kind. I don't like freelance careers because they have no promotions or anything and that seems boring to me.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Mostly painting or writing. I like to have my future writer Sims complete the Painter aspiration when they're teens, because the aspiration reward allows not just painting any of the emotional paintings regardless of mood, they can write the emotional books (Romance, Playful Book, Sad Book etc.) regardless of mood. I do use some faster crafting mods (the ones I use just take out the distractions like staring off into the distance and such) so it doesn't take super-long. I keep most of the paintings in the Sim's inventory, so when they move out they can take them along then sell them to upgrade their starter home.

BTW, the Painter aspiration is one of the few that can be completed while still a teen if you work at it really hard and play on Long lifespan. Someday I'm going to have an author with their own bookstore where they can sell their own books so my other Sims can buy and read them, especially the skill books that can be written by Sims who've completed the Renaissance Sim aspiration.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    Definitely gardening.
    If I start a new game I start it usually on spring and go to Willow Creek's cheapest neighborhood to get Snapdragons. Then I plant as many of them as I can and because they don't take a lot of time to grow, soon I can expand the garden. My Sim sells them for decent amount of money every day.
    As soon as I get an announcement of Romance Festival I take my Sim there to get Birds of Paradise flowers and plant a lot of them. They will make my Sim rich quite fast so I can upgrade home or even the whole house. Usually I delete half of the garden later, I just keep few planters to have money flowing every day, depending on what my plans for the game play are.
    If my Sim ends up being a gardener, then he/she will be super rich really fast, especially after he's able to get Dragonfruits. My favorite gardener Sim makes about 80 000 Simoleons every day (during autumn) with just them. His wife is a painter who paints a lot of masterpieces, so they and their 2 children are the richest family of all my saves.

Isn't dragonfruit one of the small bush-type plants (rather than a tree)? You could transplant it to a small pot, keep it inside and get that money all year round. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    All my sims are crazy about painting. The slightest inspirational mood will send them straight to the nearest easel (or home bar...they love their bars too). I usually have 4-5 easels in the house (in a combined paint/music "workshop"), so even guests can leave a painting once in a while. I also have quite a few writers. I don't really make much from gardening. Normally I have a greenhouse with only 1 of each plant/flower, and will harvest and keep almost all of it. For cooking or flower arrangements.

Other than painting/writing as hobbies, my sims usually have ordinary, boring jobs. Or not as boring when they are scientists/detectives or into conservation. I never really pick careers by how much they pay.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    My faves are gardening and painting. Though admittedly, since the Freelance careers were introduced, I've been using them quite a bit too.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    Definitely gardening.

Isn't dragonfruit one of the small bush-type plants (rather than a tree)? You could transplant it to a small pot, keep it inside and get that money all year round. B)

Yes, I usually put some of the Dragonfruit planter boxes inside the greenhouse when winter arrives, but it's not always necessary, because they make crazy amount of money on autumn alone (especially if they're perfect). I almost always use bigger planter boxes with 4 plants.
  • TopNotchToddlerTopNotchToddler Posts: 190 Member
    Painting and flower arranging (I wouldn't have thought of the latter) are very lucrative when done with higher skill levels, and gardening is essential for many aspects of my game play, but I recently discovered retail and, if money was my only concern, retail would be my choice. I usually make 500 to 700k per 24 hour shift (with Never Weary and Steel Bladder). My biggest problem now are taxes. None of the careers can compete with the money/time ratio of the activities I mentioned above.
  • SommoreButtaSommoreButta Posts: 489 Member
    Painting, writing
    sdaomhlfplv5.png Bestie's In Sim Form
  • MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    "lisamwitt wrote: »
    The one thing I never do for my Sims is cheat. I do occasionally cheat if I'm setting up a townie's story, to get them where I need them to be, but not with the Sims I'm playing.
    I used cheats at first.. but after playing a bit, it becomes harder to make sims struggle financially than to make them succeed. The normal stuff they want to do makes money. Plant, paint, harvest, etc... just completing their whims makes money. Use the NanoCan trashcan thing, and it's hard to make a family have any money problems at all.