Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mac User Looking for new computer

kittenwalruskittenwalrus Posts: 25 Member
Hi there.
Yesterday something absolutely devastating happened. My computer quit on me. The problem is with the hard drive so I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to get anything off of it. Which means thousands of hours of gameplay and builds gone.

Anyway, I'm a Mac user and while I know PC is better for gaming I'd like to stick to Mac. What specifications do you think would be ideal?

So far I'm thinking a MacBook pro with a 15 inch screen and at least 16gb. Anything else to keep in mind?
Post edited by kittenwalrus on

Comments

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2019
    Hi there.
    Yesterday something absolutely devastating happened. My computer quit on me. The problem is with the hard drive so I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to get anything off of it. Which means thousands of hours of gameplay and builds gone.

Anyway, I'm a Mac user and while I know PC is better for gaming I'd like to stick to Mac. What specifications do you think would be ideal?

So far I'm thinking a MacBook pro with a 15 inch screen and at least 16gb. Anything else to keep in mind?

You might want to go to an Mac thread, However, as with PC an budget is very important as prices vary meaning the more powerful the system the chances it will cost more. Macs especially MacBook Pro and it desktop kin tend to cost an lot. I believe with Macs it is listed by year as well as model and if you are willing to get an model from last year It may be cheaper but again they still cost an bundle. I have an Mac tower but it is an 2011 model which I just use to learn about Mac and majority of my systems are PCs. Hopefully somebody will be able to answer your questions.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • kittenwalruskittenwalrus Posts: 25 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Hi there.

You might want to go to an Mac thread, However, as with PC an budget is very important as prices vary meaning the more powerful the system the chances it will cost more. Macs especially MacBook Pro and it desktop kin tend to cost an lot. I believe with Macs it is listed by year as well as model and if you are willing to get an model from last year It may be cheaper but again they still cost an bundle. I have an Mac tower but it is an 2011 model which I just use to learn about Mac and majority of my systems are PCs. Hopefully somebody will be able to answer your questions.

I forgot there was a Mac forum on here, thank you!
    I'll post it there but I'm not sure how to delete this thread.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Hi there.

You welcome, don't worry someday it will be moved or wiped.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen

You welcome, don't worry someday it will be moved or wiped.

I can't find the Mac forum on here.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2019
    Honestly, playing games via Windows boot camp on my Mac has completely changed my gaming experience for the better. You couldn’t pay me to play a game on a Mac these days. I do everything else work related, budgeting, designing etc on my Mac but when I want to play a game I switch over to the PC side. There is no comparison.

So my advice would be to get a newer type of Mac so that you can install Windows via boot camp and play the Sims on the Windows side. I like to tell people to upgrade to 16gb of ram and a 1tb hd. Oh unless you prefer the portability of a laptop, get a desktop Mac for longevity.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    It’s truly unbelievable how much 15-inch MacBook Pros cost. I’d get an iMac if you’re married to Apple.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    My MacBook Pro has been stellar with playing Sims 4. It's a 15-inch. Sometimes the screen seems a little smaller than I'd like. I think a 17-inch might be the perfect size.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Honestly, playing games via Windows boot camp on my Mac has completely changed my gaming experience for the better. You couldn’t pay me to play a game on a Mac these days. I do everything else work related, budgeting, designing etc on my Mac but when I want to play a game I switch over to the PC side. There is no comparison.

So my advice would be to get a newer type of Mac so that you can install Windows via boot camp and play the Sims on the Windows side. I like to tell people to upgrade to 16gb of ram and a 1tb hd. Oh unless you prefer the portability of a laptop, get a desktop Mac for longevity.

Do you know if I have to buy the game all over again on windows? Since I technically have the "Mac" version?
    So_Money wrote: »
    It’s truly unbelievable how much 15-inch MacBook Pros cost. I’d get an iMac if you’re married to Apple.

I know but I got a good 7 years out of my old one and every pc I've ever owned only lasted two. Plus I own the Mac versions of games and programs and am so used to using it that it would be a massive learning curve.
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    I've been really happy playing on 15 inch Macbook pro without bootcamp. Ok, the laptop was super expensive when I bought it but it's a late 2013 model and still working perfectly fine so I feel it was worth every penny. At least I'm one happy simmer still :)
    origin ID: adduapina
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2019

Do you know if I have to buy the game all over again on windows? Since I technically have the "Mac" version?

Nope. Just download Origin on the Windows side and sign into the same account you used on the Mac side and you’ll have all the same games. It’s all connected. If you have any mods or CC, you will need to get them over to the Windows side somehow. What I did was use Dropbox and just saved the files to my account then log into my account on the Windows side and drag the files to the computer.
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    @kittenwalrus You could try asking also in AHQ Sims Mac Forum here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/bd-p/The-Sims-Mac
    origin ID: adduapina
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member

Really?
    Would be like use WINE to play TS4 on Linux
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i know you wanna stick with mac but.....man, you can get a much cheaper computer with better specs if you switch to PC.

my gaming computer was around 900 dollars including tax while the apple laptop i bought back in like 2014 cost me like 1200? i think? it was garbage for the price i dont think i could ever go back to mac
  • becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    I play on a 13" Macbook Pro and have no problems at all.