Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

VERY IMPORTANT information before you purchase

SimChiSimChi Posts: 143 Member
edited July 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Most potential purchasers do not actually know this... And it absolutely needs to be made VERY clear on the top of the page of each pack. I was directed to the forums (in order to get an official to help), after chatting in the official EA HQ chat window, by the advisor, to post my issue here and get official help.

I opened a help chat on the official EA site and asked why there is no CLEAR statement on the EA Sims 4 game purchase site that says that players WILL (absolutely) need better and better computer specs (additional RAM for each pack that is purchased) if they add more packs to their game. The site only shows base requirements, and does not clearly make any statement that you MUST have additional specs with each added pack. It is not clear that with each pack that someone wishes to purchase that they will need additional RAM with each pack. Furthermore, is is VERY difficult to actually find the specs required (without digging through the multiple pages)- it should be listed right at the top of the (pack) page.

I asked for an official answer- and this is that conversation (which absolutely needs to be clearly stated on the site- before people purchase a pack, or the game itself):

Advisor: "So if you have a 4 GB ram and you installed a 1.5 GB game, it would work fine. Then after a while you add another expansion pack which is 1GB, now it's 2.5 GB in total. It would still work fine if you have not installed any other application on your PC only use the system to play games. However if you keep increasing the size of the game by adding more and more packs, obviously you would need to update your system with better specs. I hope it does make sense?" (better specs than is listed on EA's site)

Me: "Why is that not listed on EA's site?"

Advisor: "Because we do not know that how many packs a customer going to buy and it is basic thing which every gamer would
aware of. You would need upgrade your specs if you want to add more packs."

Me: "upgrade from what is recommended on EA's site you mean?"

Advisor: "Yes please"

Me: "Okay.... how do I get this issue addressed properly?"

Advisor: "That's why I am asking you to please post this issue on EA site(Forum) as this is not something that we adviser can take
care of."

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I figured this out from TS2. If you're going to buy a computer for a new TS iteration, always get a computer with much higher specs than what's posted. Or make sure you have a computer that is easy to upgrade.

I started out with a computer that had the minimum specs posted for TS2, but it got to be too much when adding the packs as they were released. So when I finally had enough money saved for a new one, I made sure that it was far beyond what I think the entire collection needed.

I agree with you though. They SHOULD at least inform people that the spec requirements will probably be far more than the initial posting as the packs are released. They can at least post the MAXIMUM spec requirements if all packs including the new one were installed up to that current point. I don't think that's too much to ask.

• SimChiSimChi Posts: 143 Member
    edited July 2019
    I figured this out from TS2. If you're going to buy a computer for a new TS iteration, always get a computer with much higher specs than what's posted. Or make sure you have a computer that is easy to upgrade.

I started out with a computer that had the minimum specs posted for TS2, but it got to be too much when adding the packs as they were released. So when I finally had enough money saved for a new one, I made sure that it was far beyond what I think the entire collection needed.

I agree with you though. They SHOULD at least inform people that the spec requirements will probably be far more than the initial posting as the packs are released. They can at least post the MAXIMUM spec requirements if all packs including the new one were installed up to that current point. I don't think that's too much to ask.

This is concerning- because he specifically mentioned needing additional RAM... Most people (though not all) understand needing additional HD space, of course- though (again) that is not necessarily something that non-tech/tech savvy gamers would know- which is preying on common (potential) purchasers. The chat advisor also said to get an official EA person (via the forums) to address this issue.

Figuring this out (needing additional RAM) shouldn't be a thing for people. The site says what the requirements are- but does not mention needing additional RAM with each pack purchased. It should also not make anyone feel shamed for not knowing (because the average purchaser should not have to be tech savvy)- I hope anyone who may be reading this (who did not know this) does not feel like they are to blame, since it absolutely is the responsibility of EA (the company/s) to be very clear, and practice proper business modeling. This is misleading advertising (close enough to false advertising).
  • rvcrvc Posts: 2 New Member
    I have a question, and I don't know how to post it, what happens if I buy sims on another computer but my same account?
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    Your game is tied to your Origin account. So you can always download it to a new computer.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I have all the packs and 16GB RAM. Will that soon cease to be enough?

I have 8GB and my game still runs great on ultra with all packs. I do plan on updating soon (well by December) to 32GB but you should be good with 16GB.
    edited July 2019
    I have all the packs and 16GB RAM. Will that soon cease to be enough?

Yes, apparently. I am trying to get this changed- so that people know the truth about what buying into this franchise means. I just got a response from EA_Jason, and he said: "The Advisor is correct in saying that the HDD space is cumulative, it's even noted on the System Requirements page for the expansions: I believe that the confusion came from the distinction between RAM and HDD space required. It's true that some expansions require more RAM and better specifications, but they are listed on the System Requirements page for that expansion. For example: Island Living lists that you need 4GB of RAM in order to play the expansion." *Edited to add "No, RAM is not cumulative. If you have Island Living and Cats and Dogs, you only need 4GB RAM, not 8."

I responded that it is not, in fact, noted on the system requirements- that an additional (however much GB) is required. EA_Jason cleared this up (see edit), and I explained that I was shocked when the advisor on the official site told me that more RAM is needed per pack. I am asking EA_Jason (now) what specs, exactly, are needed just to get the game running at proper play (utilizing the built in high settings)- because this is very unclear for many players as well.

I am also asking if the advisor at EA was correct when he said "It would still work fine if you have not installed any other application on your PC only use the system to play games."
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Thanks @Akl500P I have been contemplating upgrading to 32GB so I might do that.

@SimChi from what they said do you think upgrading to 32GB would be enough? My laptop can upgrade to a max of 64GB but I’d rather spend less if possible.
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    @MaggieMarley There is a point to where to much ram is less performance at this time period. The most ram tech tubers test new systems is with 32 GB of ram. 16 Gb is enough for awhile.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Since playing sims from the begining I’m aware of updating my computer. I will again at the end of this year or begining of next. Most gamers know they need to keep up their computers.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
    @BlkBarbiegal are you planning to update your RAM? If so, how much do you think you’ll update to (just to give me an idea of what I might do in future)?
    @MaggieMarley if you follow their reasoning... You will always have to keep buying more and more and more, just to play a game. It's a waste of resources, and really poor practices. Think of how many people are tossing computers (because they become extinct) with this kind of practice. You won't (unfortunately) ever have an answer to what you might do in the future, except have to buy more stuff... Which then becomes obsolete. And it seems to take an entire computer just for a game (which, if one looks at buying a console- those things can play multiple games, because the games are all made with the same specs in mind).
    @BlkBarbiegal are you planning to update your RAM? If so, how much do you think you’ll update to (just to give me an idea of what I might do in future)?
    Ive had my computer since sims3 days. I’ve installed 16gb ram and 1080 GTx graphics since but it’s running on 2.6 ghz and I’d like 4ghz, 32 ram and one of those nvidia’s rtx. I’ll keep current computer for school. I only play sims and Overwatch.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
    @SimChi yeah it does sound bad. Unfortunately I really like TS4 so I can’t see myself stopping buying the packs. I’ll probably need more ram eventually. I looked at task manager and when I am actually playing TS4 my laptop is using about 9GB of ram (of my 16GB total) so hopefully that means I won’t need to buy more ram for a while?

@BlkBarbiegal thanks for the info. I’m kind of wondering if I might be a good idea for me to upgrade to 32GB ram but my laptop only seems to use 9GB when I’m playing TS4 (and I have 16GB total). I’m not sure if more ram would actually = better performance in my case or not.
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    @MaggieMarley Your Welcome. I have all but Island Living. But I am slowing down on buying computer parts. I have Ryzen 7 1700 first gen. 16 ddr4 3000 mhz ran , graphic card 1070 playing at 1440p 60hz monitor. But I guess If I was to do upgrade I would upgrade my CPU. Sometimes I do wish I had a laptop it make it easier for my niece and nephew. If you're a content creator I would strongly recommend 64 GB of ram.
    @james64468 I’m not a content creator so I’m guessing I probably don’t need 64GB ram! If the packs get too much I’ll probably install another 8-16GB but I look alright for now.
    Where do go to see how much ram your game is actually using?
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    This is probably the whole idea behind patch 1.69 (Sims 3) I suppose?

5JZ57S6.png
    Where do go to see how much ram your game is actually using?

go to task manager and look under the "performance" tab
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    I am not sure how "most potential purchasers" could not be aware that if you add more software, you might need to upgrade your hardware. This is SOP for ANY game or software. It isn't a deceptive business practice to expect people to know what their hardware can reasonably handle when the requirements are clearly laid out. FTR I'm running the game with all packs and an unholy amount of mods and CC on a laptop with 6GB of RAM that I bought in 2014.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    james64468 wrote: »
    @MaggieMarley There is a point to where to much ram is less performance at this time period. The most ram tech tubers test new systems is with 32 GB of ram. 16 Gb is enough for awhile.

I agree as I do not see no need to go over 16 GB ram for Sims 4 even with additional packs.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Does anybody have all the packs and play with 32gb of ram? I’m considering an upgrade from 16.
  • DeadInsid3_plur2EDMDeadInsid3_plur2EDM Posts: 44 Member
    [quote="Simpatsyann;c-17165930"]I am not sure how "most potential purchasers" could not be aware that if you add more software, you might need to upgrade your hardware. This is SOP for ANY game or software. It isn't a deceptive business practice to expect people to know what their hardware can reasonably handle when the requirements are clearly laid out. FTR I'm running the game with all packs and an unholy amount of mods and CC on a laptop with 6GB of RAM that I bought in 2014. [/quote]

I could list numerous reasons, in fact I did and it all erased by accidentally refreshing. Well the first instance could feasibly be due to the fact we were told by Sims 4 that it would work on windows 7 or w.e which I'm very certain many assumed if they bought an entirely new laptop they would think it would meet it's qualifications since its just a game of Sims. Not everyone is tech savvy, a computer geek (btw I'm not demeaning nerds that's a very attractive quality), or someone who Modifies games or utilizes any of those features for their Sims games, so naturally an average person just wanting to play who doesn't know anything about the CPU or having a fancy processor wouldn't possess this knowledge. Just like when people buy makeup not every female knows you have to get a certain one by your skin type, what kind of look you want, what kind of liner you desire basically going into the smallest details like what mascara bristles to use. My point is some things might be quite super evident to others and some just dabble in it not knowing the extent of their hobby, however even Makeup brands go as far as explaining this or when you go into a store they help you. If you have no knowledge of computer specifications and go to buy one at a retail store most likely they just care about selling their stuff not about what you need to have the right gameplay. That's just one example. When you say update your hard drive frankly I have no idea what you mean. Do I have to buy another computer? Don't answer that just heed my advice just because you know more about a subject does not imply that people should instantly know themselves. When I bought my crappy computer I wasn't too informed but needed something quick because my little brother destroyed mine and was on a budget while I was mourning his death and also trying to heal from dying that night as well in my car. Evidently the specifications was the last thing on my mind. Ive played sims since the beginning so now being informed more about this is all new to me so yes you might as well call me a "most potential purchaser" but like I addressed When EA released the game they all had us under the impression it was equipped to play on many window operating systems. The most I ever did to "update" was getting a new laptop so no not everyone is well informed. @BlkBarbiegal I just saw your comment so thought if you're implying something then this applies to you as well.

@SimChi Thank you for the informative post not all of us know this!
    @DeadInsid3_plur2EDM You are welcome, and thank you for your post (also, very sorry to hear about your loss- not that words help, but I am sorry to read that you lost a brother).