Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you annoyed that your DLC clothing is now added to base game for everyone

Comments

• sofasimsofasim Posts: 128 Member
    Yes
    I get why some people say No, but I see it this way. I can't say I bought this pack so I can enjoy it earlier. This is not a beta access thing. EVERY Item in there, no matter what it is, is something that's exclusive. And it was great because like some of those items were actual new meshes right. Now they've been added in the basegame making them literal recolors. And what's frustrating is I feel not only ripped off like that but also very played. Look a few packs ago people were complaining a lot about recolors being added and sold etc. remember that anyone? Yeah so they now do it the other way around. They add a new mesh in the pack, hype you for it, like for example strangerville, I remember people saying they won't buy the pack but then they showed there's a laptop coming with that pack and people wanted to buy for the frkn laptop and not even weeks later there's a freelancer patch, great patch btw, and they add a laptop to the basegame... so yeah they don't do recolors like that anymore. They make a new mesh for the pack, and will add it to the basegame later, and voila you have the same result. You paid for a recolor. And no it doesn't matter if it's done this way or that way. Because the result is what matters here.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Yes
    happyopi wrote: »
    I like how the focus shifted to "omg you guys are so stingy why can't you share", completely bypassing the fact that EAxis is literally recycling content and passing it off as "fresh new".

Everyone just accepted that as normal, and a thing we should actually be grateful for. Okay then.

The bar is so low it's on the ground.

The ground? It's almost reached the centre of the earth.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    No (Even if I own the DLC)
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    happyopi wrote: »
    I like how the focus shifted to "omg you guys are so stingy why can't you share", completely bypassing the fact that EAxis is literally recycling content and passing it off as "fresh new".

Everyone just accepted that as normal, and a thing we should actually be grateful for. Okay then.

The bar is so low it's on the ground.

The ground? It's almost reached the centre of the earth.

hahahaha <3:)
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Here are 4 of the DLC to BG assets for comparison. Top row are the new swatches that got added to BG. Bottom row are the new BG swatches combined with the pack swatches. I took these screenshots before and after disabling all packs.

b198ed88ac.png

Ooh, so basically none of the swatches that came with the packs show up then if you don't have it? :o

Good information.

They do for a few items, but not for most of them.
  • KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    Yes
    I'm not annoyed with the fact that base game players got some free content, I have a lot fo friends who cannot afford DLC and I'm happy for them. But I am annoyed with the fact that I as a DLC player got nothing at all.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yes
    Koteyka wrote: »
    I'm not annoyed with the fact that base game players got some free content, I have a lot fo friends who cannot afford DLC and I'm happy for them. But I am annoyed with the fact that I as a DLC player got nothing at all.

Well, I mean, you get new swatches. Cuz, yay for swatches, right? 😁
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • EnglishSimmer90EnglishSimmer90 Posts: 53 Member
    Yes
    Like many others have stated, I'm not annoyed that people got free stuff because I know not everyone can afford the DLC's and I love seeing simmers happy. But what makes me a bit unhappy is that it was advertised as 'NEW' stuff when really it isn't. I'm not hitting the roof mad just a tad annoyed!
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Like many others have stated, I'm not annoyed that people got free stuff because I know not everyone can afford the DLC's and I love seeing simmers happy. But what makes me a bit unhappy is that it was advertised as 'NEW' stuff when really it isn't. I'm not hitting the roof mad just a tad annoyed!

It's new for people who didn't have it yet so...
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Not bothered by it at all, lol. In fact, I'd actually like to see more swatches patched in, particularly for furniture, because we could really use more coloring options for matching.

I actually find it weird that there's such an uproar about this because I feel like I've been seeing people asking for better swatches and more color choices because "we don't have CaST or a color wheel". I've seen conversations in threads where Simmers were saying they'd love to see old packs expanded or revamped for free (since the MFP concept didn't go over well). So we literally get just a few new free swatches and people go nuts. Guess we're less likely to get anything else from previous packs expanded after this.

There's probably a reason that anything new has to be connected to the base game directly and cannot just be tied to DLC. Sometimes there are legal reasons that can't officially alter add-on content that has already been paid for. In this case, the only way to get something added or changed would be to put it in the base game. If this were the case, I'd much rather get that content in base game for free than not get it at all.

But even if that's not the case, I still don't see the problem. I bought stuff. They have embellished that stuff and given it to me for free. Anything that adds to, expands on, or improves the game, I'm all for it. Yep, even swatches because it gives me more choices, even if those choices are superficial and just clothing. Nothing was taken from me. So I'm good.

#Team Occult
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    DeKay wrote: »

It's totally fine that you feel differently about it, but in a game without a Create a Style tool, swatches are very important to me. I would imagine to others as well.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I just now saw some of the new swatches and I'm in love. A couple of those items (GTW beanie, DO pants, GF blouse) are my favourited and I'm happy to have some new swatches. I kind of think they shouldn't have given out the DO hair since it's the exact same. It doesn't bother me much though.
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    DeKay wrote: »

It's totally fine that you feel differently about it, but in a game without a Create a Style tool, swatches are very important to me. I would imagine to others as well.

Yep, I feel the same way. I love most of the new swatches, haha!
    He/Him
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    Yes
    I don't have all the packs the items are from so I'm happy I got new items for free, but I just think it's a little lazy, since they made it sound like these were brand new items.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Yes
    I'm always happy for free content to be added to the base game for all simmers to enjoy. However, I have to admit I would prefer this content to be new for everyone to truly appreciate. Oh well, at least I have some more swatches to play with.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    It isn't being done with very many objects or items at all, so I have no problem with the non-pack owners being thrown a bone from time to time.
  • darkchadmeisterdarkchadmeister Posts: 62 Member
    Meh. I am not upset at all just like I don't get upset when EA gives away the game for free or discount various packs later on. Why is this any different?
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Yes
    If they really want to do players some solid, they should do some more temporary pack DLs like they did with the base game, specifically for the older packs
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    No, honestly I don't care. From what I've seen none of it is stuff that I used on anyone except maybe an occasional townie. I don't own Get Famous but it looks like my Sims will have access to two items from it.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I don't really care, but I do think it's in bad taste and I can understand why people are upset by it. If you want to give out something free, make something completely new and give it out for free.

The only time I really support them making paid content free is when they plan to expand upon it significantly.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited July 2019
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Let's say you go to McDonalds and buy a menu.

Some fries, a big mac, a coca cola, even nuggets.

A McDonalds employer comes to you, takes your nuggets and your fries away without even asking, and gives it to someone who hasn't even selected what they want to eat. How would you feel honestly?

It’s actually more like, if a McDonalds employee comes to you, takes your meal back and comes back with extra nuggets and a free chips upsize for free.

They took one or two items from each pack and added more recolours. I hardly think that one or two items even equate to a dollar value for a pack, and the bonus is you get free new swatches too!

It’s a win win, unless you would rather not have free swatches? Which is weird.

It’s also confirmed above that free players only get the free swatches not the original paid ones.

So it’s more like a McDonald’s employee came and took your order and offered you an Upsize on your chips and extra nuggets for free, because everyone else is getting a small chips and 3 nuggets for free xD

It’s like saying that “I had to pay for Laptops in Strangerville and now it’s being patched for free!” No man, you still get your Strangerville laptops but you also get an extra laptop design for free, but it means base game players also get laptops without needing Strangerville.

Did everyone cry when Cars were a huge selling point for Sims 2 nightlife only for EA to offer a free car download day of release despite numerous people preordering probably for cars? Probably not because 1 car isn’t as good as multiple cars.
  • PrincessAmyPrincessAmy Posts: 225 Member
    edited July 2019
    Nope!

The way I see it is that I had access to the items before, I paid for them and it's been a long time that I had them. I definitely got my money's worth and making it accessible to people who can't afford packs is okay with me!
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Let's say you go to McDonalds and buy a menu.

Some fries, a big mac, a coca cola, even nuggets.

A McDonalds employer comes to you, takes your nuggets and your fries away without even asking, and gives it to someone who hasn't even selected what they want to eat. How would you feel honestly?
    Pretty sure I wouldn't buy a menu from McDonalds. Honestly I'd be ok with that because I don't care for McDonalds especially after watching Super Size Me. I have had to lose my order before to someone else and honestly the healthier restaurants I eat at will compensate for giving my order to someone else which is why I would choose to go there rather than McDonalds. It still ends up being cheaper to make a meal at home even one of those Healthy Choice prepackaged meals that are microwaved faster than a McDonalds order.

But interesting that more people are upset by this than Sims 4 being given away for $5 and free and the Sims 2 UC being given out for free which has more content than just CAS items.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    I'm not bothered. I still would have bought the packs even if the items they re-released weren't included and I'm always happy for new swatches.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    Yes
    I'm not mad that people got more CAS stuff for free, that's awesome, but I'd be lying if I said I weren't a bit upset that I paid for certain packs solely for CAS items and many of those packs were already lacking in content. It feels like those packs are a bit closer to being obsolete and not worth the price.

Not to mention, weren't we told that base game was being updated with new content? Does "new" mean something different to the people who made this decision than it does to the rest of the world? Recycled is not new, it's basically the opposite of new, and this reflects a troubling trend with updates and packs for the Sims 4, of going the easy route and reusing assets whenever possible instead of delivering something worthwhile, with actual thought and effort put into it. I'm upset at the insinuation that players don't know the difference between something brand spanking new and something last season with a new coat of paint on it.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I'm annoyed that they didn't create any new pieces of clothing for the rebranding and that all the items (aside the 1 hairstyle) are recycled.
    But the specific fact that the team patched in some new swatches from already existing DLC CAS items doesn't bother me. I have been enjoying those items for a while now, and I am happy that people that can't afford to buy every single new DLC that comes out get some freebies to add to their base game.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top