Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disabilites, Maybe?

Comments

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    edited July 2019
    @MadameLee

If this goes ahead I will be horrified- I play the sims to escape my troubles in real life, not to see them be used as entertainment and a quick buff. But do I see it happening? Perhaps. Anything to pat themselves on the back and play the inclusive card.

Ok but its not just entertainment.. there are some people who want to create themselves and they feel "left out" because they can't create themselves (ie it means them feel like they 'fake' when making their simself). (look at the rag The 🐸🐸🐸🐸) its been a problem since Sims 1 (I only came on when Sims 3 appeared). What about them don't those disabled people have the right to have themselves repetitiveness (Or if they aren't disabled themselves be able to create people they know who are)? I was thrilled when one of the teeth option is very similar to my one tooth when it got patched in. I just wish they could not treat glasses as accessories. I would love some non CC hearing aids (for either ears) and workable wheelchairs. One person's utopia might included disabled sims while yours don't.. since presumably except for content like beds, showers, etc the option for disabled sim would be similar to the options in CAS for transgender sims/occult sims ie only restricted to making disabled sims in CAS
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I still can’t believe they changed “Insane” to “Erratic”. It felt so unnecessary.

Meanwhile here I am, finding that trait and its execution so off-putting that even with the rename I never use it on any of my sims (even in games that I otherwise randomize) and will cheat to get it out of townies I encounter that have generated with it. I’m glad they renamed it, and sometimes wish they’d either completely reprogrammed it (and given it a different icon) or eliminated it altogether. It’s a horrible caricature of mental illness and makes light of real people and their symptoms, including people I consider my closest friends.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @MadameLee

If this goes ahead I will be horrified- I play the sims to escape my troubles in real life, not to see them be used as entertainment and a quick buff. But do I see it happening? Perhaps. Anything to pat themselves on the back and play the inclusive card.

Ok but its not just entertainment.. there are some people who want to create themselves and they feel "left out" because they can't create themselves (ie it means them feel like they 'fake' when making their simself). (look at the rag The plum) its been a problem since Sims 1 (I only came on when Sims 3 appeared). What about them don't those disabled people have the right to have themselves repetitiveness (Or if they aren't disabled themselves be able to create people they know who are)? I was thrilled when one of the teeth option is very similar to my one tooth when it got patched in. I just wish they could not treat glasses as accessories. I would love some non CC hearing aids (for either ears) and workable wheelchairs. One person's utopia might included disabled sims while yours don't.. since presumably except for content like beds, showers, etc the option for disabled sim would be similar to the options in CAS for transgender sims/occult sims ie only restricted to making disabled sims in CAS

I know that as well. I know that for every person who thinks like me, there’s someone who wants it for their own reasons and that’s fine too.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Samlish wrote: »
    I would love having blind/deaf pets/humans/occults in the game <3

Dogs are very therapeutic! I worked as an RN for several years in various VA Regional Medical Centers. We would get a good number of vets home from the wars with PTSD. That's where I learned of a program of training dogs to be a therapeutic support for those with severe PTSD - and it really works! The very presence of their dogs calms them down when they have a panic attack. The dogs are loyal and very protective of their charges. It's such a therapeutic relationship! It beats having the patient taking any psych meds or any harmful habits like chain smoking to get rid of their panic and anxiety. I think it would be a nice career for sim dogs!

It would also be cool to have a sim career that trains such dogs for either PTSD or blind/deaf clients. Usually they start training these dogs from the puppy stage so maybe also learn to breed for the right temperament!
  • Options
    @ClarionOfJoy that's why I had the idea those for those sims families which don't have disabilities they could be "Puppy families" for the puppies.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Dragonfire2lmDragonfire2lm Posts: 158 Member
    All I'm gonna say is this- I'm blind in one eye, I'd like my sim to reflect that and for glasses to have functional gameplay behind them as opposed to just an optional aesthetic choice. My glasses wearing sims could automatically change into their everday outfit when they wake up because they don't wear glasses to bed and need them to see clearly, just an idea.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I still can’t believe they changed “Insane” to “Erratic”. It felt so unnecessary.

Meanwhile here I am, finding that trait and its execution so off-putting that even with the rename I never use it on any of my sims (even in games that I otherwise randomize) and will cheat to get it out of townies I encounter that have generated with it. I’m glad they renamed it, and sometimes wish they’d either completely reprogrammed it (and given it a different icon) or eliminated it altogether. It’s a horrible caricature of mental illness and makes light of real people and their symptoms, including people I consider my closest friends.

Yes, all of this.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    I don't know why I'm getting the feeling that Thursday's #playwithlife video might be related to some sort of disability update. Wheelchairs, perhaps? Real elevators/lifts? I've seen many tweets using the PlayWithLife hashtag where simmers say the game helps them with depression or other disabling conditions. A guru who watched the video said it brought tears to his eyes. Hmmmm...

I think anything to do with disabilities will come in a pack, not a patch unless they are just giving us deco items for storytelling.

As far as bringing tears to his eyes, that could be anything! :D
  • Options
    @FairyGodMother they said it would be in a patch because otherwise would'nt they be charging for it? And they said they wouldn't charge for such a sensitive topic
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    @FairyGodMother they said it would be in a patch because otherwise would'nt they be charging for it? And they said they wouldn't charge for such a sensitive topic

Oh, thanks for letting me know! Sounds like just deco items then if its a patch, but who knows!
  • Options

Oh, thanks for letting me know! Sounds like just deco items then if its a patch, but who knows!

know not when they asking differently-able people for input (like the chair problem mentioned earlier) its going to be more then just decor items. Can you believe the uproar that would have?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    It definitely wouldn't be deco.
  • Options
    Isn’t it just a video of game changers talking about what the game means to them?
  • Options
    Isn’t it just a video of game changers talking about what the game means to them?

Perhaps.
  • Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    I think this would be a great idea but I'm also worried that they any disabilities they add would be too buggy to use. Wheelchairs especially seem like they would cause problems with routing even though I would love them to be in the game.
  • Options

Perhaps.

Right now, yes it is. But to be fair, the Gurus never said we were getting content today other than the video.
  • Options

Perhaps.

Right now, yes it is. But to be fair, the Gurus never said we were getting content today other than the video.

If they had, it wouldn't be called speculation. B)
  • Options
    adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    edited July 2019
    I would personally love it if they'd add disabilities in the game. I love everything that makes my game seem more real to me and disabilities are a real thing. I'd enjoy playing with really different kind of sims (after a while they all seem the same, because we have limited amount of careers and all the sims are same height and we only have 3 slots to build a personality etc. - skin tone and hairstyles and body mass doesn't really make a difference to me, as they do not irl).
    I'd love to see my sim parents having a child with some form of disability, or that while at work you could have an accident and need to use walking cane/wheelchair for a while/forever. I'd love to see more than just erratic/gloomy/hotheaded personalities. How about one that causes dazed moodlets every now and then?
    I'd love to see blindness and the need for a service dog! There's so many opportunities here for my games that if this was a pack I'd totally buy it. I'd love to build wheelchair friendly lots.
    And for those who wouldn't want this in the game, I totally get you. There could be an option eg. to buy with aspiration points a cure for whatever disability you have if you'd like to reverse the change.
    origin ID: adduapina
  • Options
    "adduapina wrote: »
    And for those who wouldn't want this in the game, I totally get you. There could be an option eg. to buy with aspiration points a cure for whatever disability you have if you'd like to reverse the change.

I totally understand why you want disabilities but that ^ “having a cure like buying aspiration points” could be really offensive in game.

That would be trivialising someone’s condition and I think it would be quite upsetting watching your sim self be cured of a disability instantly and easily whereas in the real world you are still stuck with it wishing “If only it was that easy in real life”

I agree if they are going to insist on giving us this, then there needs to be an opt out but I don’t think it could be as simplistic as an aspiration reward. That’s what I mean when I said earlier, there is no way the game could do disabilities justice. This is a game.
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    It's always been such a complex issue. I'd love to be able to have my condition in the game so I can portray myself accurately, but at the same time I can 100% understand all the concerns posted here. If they did add anything to this capacity then making it optional would most likely be the best way to go, so those who want it can use it and those who want to get away from that sort of thing can. I use mod traits that serve the purpose I want pretty well.

My main issue though is that I wouldn't trust the current team of developers with something like this. After seeing them handle other things in a less than efficient fashion (not listening to the community in certain cases, constant technical hiccups) I don't think they'd be able to pull this off in a suitable way. I can also see how this element of real life wouldn't fit with the rest of the game's less serious atmosphere. The game isn't mature enough to really handle this kind of thing on an official level.

Maybe if they invented unique conditions for Sims that aren't present in real life they could get around some concerns, I don't know.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member

I totally understand why you want disabilities but that ^ “having a cure like buying aspiration points” could be really offensive in game.

I agree. I don't think you can have a "cure" in-game at all, though removing the trait could potentially be possible with cheats. Or just have an opt-in/opt-out option right in the menu, as you have for the different options in Seasons.

Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member

That would be trivialising someone’s condition and I think it would be quite upsetting watching your sim self be cured of a disability instantly and easily whereas in the real world you are still stuck with it wishing “If only it was that easy in real life”

I agree if they are going to insist on giving us this, then there needs to be an opt out but I don’t think it could be as simplistic as an aspiration reward. That’s what I mean when I said earlier, there is no way the game could do disabilities justice. This is a game.

I undestand your point totally. But it's a game; not real life (thankfully) and that was the first thing to come to my mind - because some people don't want to use cheats and such. I hope no one is offended by the suggestion, and by no means did I mean to be disrespectful to anyone. <3

Still I have to disagree on what you said about "if it only was that easy in real life" - though I want my game to be realistic, I still want it to be a game. A game I can control and make my own with all the stories I want to tell. If we already have Young Again -potion, it could make me really sad 'cos I can't have that irl and I'm getting old. But it doesn't do that and you know why? Because it's a fantasy world that we want to enjoy and play, not real life. I think everyone (with or without any condition) understands that.

Toggle option would be best of all ofc, but since we don't have that for eg. occults I find it hard to believe it would work for this subject either.

origin ID: adduapina
  • Options
    As far as I am aware (and it's not 100% clear) that the only way a sim could be disabled whenever disabilities are added is if you CREATE one in CAS. So no born sims with disabilities or no 'workplace' or 'home accidents' unless they want to have temporary disabilities as well (ie broken arm/leg)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    @LiELF and yet people being wanting Disabilities in the Sims since the Original Sims. So your version of utopia might be a disability-free society but others aren't.
    Samlish wrote: »
    I agree @Dragonfire2lm . It's not just blind and deaf disabilities that I could think of being in the game, there are many disabilities and rare diseases I could think of to represent my characters that I create, which I would love to implement into my game. Yes it would be hard to design in the game, but it is something I would love to represent many characters that could be created.

They *might* try adding mental health issues as well since Graham mention something to the effect of "Not making them traits"

If they add in mental illness I'm going to be furious. As someone who has a mental illness (anxiety/depression), I don't need that plum in my game. I play to get AWAY from the fact that I'm sick.

I am with you completely on this. I have a close family member with a severe mental illness and it's extremely emotionally taxing in real life. The very last thing I want in my game is a constant reminder of what we go through. This would be the one thing that could make me close the game forever without a second thought.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand, and would be down for, the team adding in canes, walkers, wheelchairs, etc. I wouldn't mind that at all. But mental illnesses are a totally different ballgame, and you have to tread much more lightly with them. I don't think the team would be malicious in their implementation of them, I just worry what other people would do with it and HOW they could even incorporate it without it being offensive. :#

I live with severe mental illness. Ulike you guys i'd actually enjoy the challenge of it being in game too and maybe my sim me would make a better job of living with it :) Thing's like this should absolutely have some kind of opt out though, whether that be a check box or another method. I can see how some sufferers would want to play without it.
  • Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    While I would love for full gameplay featuring disabilities in the future (and agree with things stated above - that putting it behind a pay wall would be bad, and that making it "curable" would be bad, but it should also be optional for a variety of reasons) I would actually be okay if, at least for the time being, they did just release some deco/cosmetic stuff that doesn't impact gameplay. It could be a sort of stop-gap or similar.

Obviously full gameplay would need to be more in-depth. But if, for now, they were to release some "prosthetics" skins with options for prosthetic arms and legs, some eyepatches, options for "glass" eye recolors that are a little shinier and don't move as much (and don't have to match the corresponding eye, though my best friends' eyes also just naturally don't match, so maybe that should be an option anyway), and hearing aids for sims to wear. I realize it'd be disappointing that it wasn't a complete experience and instead just a cosmetic difference, but I do still feel like it would be a welcome addition. Especially as it would be a lot less work than all the new interactions and animations needed to make even just physical disabilities (disregarding mental disabilities, which would be more complicated still) part of gameplay.

I'd love a full experience, for sure. But I wouldn't say no to the deco objects and accessories being available even if they couldn't add gameplay right away.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.