Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

5 More Years is now a joke

1235...Next

Comments

• LordOfTendonsLordOfTendons Posts: 250 Member
    I get migraines and the flashing white screens were no cakewalk for me. The blue is actually better, but not by much. I use a program called f.lux that runs in the background and it turns the screen to an amber tint. I can make it as intense or as light amber as I want. If you don't want to use software, you can get tinted glasses that block blue light and reduce eye strain.
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    5 more years might be too long if you hate the game, but personally for me it's the best news ever, and another five ontop of that wouldn't go amiss if it meant they were adding thousands of new ideas to it that have never been done before. I quite like the new blue colour but can see where it might cause some problems. I'll just leave now and carry on enjoying my game.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    I agree that 5 more years would be a joke. I'm convinced that the past 5 years have been a sad joke, too.
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    zuper_buu wrote: »
    As usual EA/Maxis/Whoever ignored the public backlash to the rebrand and went ahead with it anyway.

I won't be leaving the game, but you know what I will be doing? Turning auto-update off until a mod comes out to fix the ugly abomination that is the over-saturated blue loading screen. I don't need further migraines EA, thank you very much.

I posted a formal complaint on the Twitter too, suggesting they just lower the saturation by 30-40% for those of us with sensitivity to saturated colours, or at least give us the option to do it ourselves, but guess what? They ignored me.

TwistedMexi is already working on a mod to revert this.
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Fully agree. Even Henry Ford realized eventually that he couldn't make the Model T indefinitely. In his case it was because Chevrolet began eating his lunch. And this mess is from the same outfit that revolutionized gaming with TS1, and then pushed the envelpe even more with TS2. Time for someone to eat EA's lunch.

EA felt like a completely different company back then. Whether it was a change in values or skill set, I don't know.

I say it all the time, but it's worth reiterating.. There is an unmatched level of quality to The Sims 2. The game just works. Queues and actions move so smoothly with zero delay, the developers were keen on implementing gameplay that was fun and had very high replay value, it felt like an actual life simulator, the creative tools were very good for the time, and so on. I really don't know what changed from then to now, but the fact The Sims 4 can't even get the basics of actions, queuing, and time functions working is a problem.

I agree with you. TS2 coding was planned well and organized, ideas were also fresh and thoughtfully detailed. New packs added didn't break previous features and it just all worked so well together.

With TS4, it appears they code in a new feature separately without seeing how it will work with the game with all current packs. This is why new features/packs often break what is already in the game. And they keep doing this with new features, piling up even more bugs. I can't say anymore that it's the game engine's fault for being so weak. I really think the development of this game was extremely poorly managed now more than anything else.

I worry that it will happen again with TS5. They need to hire some TS2 and TS3 developers (that they laid off) at least as consultants for how to better organize the code and for fresh innovative ideas. I'm sorry, but the devs for TS4 don't seem to be all that good in coding (gameplay is so buggy!) or ideas (bland or lacklustre mostly).

Apparently you never got bit by Securom then as it not only broke the entire game it broke a lot of pcs when Bon Voyage came out. And not just our game but Securom broke Mass Effect 2 I think it was, and one of the Spore games as well. There were so many angry people that low rated these games because of it - Amazon got knocked off the net for a while even - hit by everyone zero rating these games.... How did you miss all that? We went through Hades over that fiasco for nearly 2 years... I give Sims 2 no pats on the back for that nor the fact they moved from CDs to DVDs with no warning to the players and simmers had games we could not even play even if they could work because hardly anyone had DVD players. They were expensive back in those days and new - so many did not have them. I went and spent 300 dollars on a dvd player just to get Securom break it. Went through 5 dvd player in 3 months - that was a hefty bit of change let me tell you - when I found out the Sims DRM was breaking them. So no happy platitudes goes to the Sims 2 either. Sims 4 has never broken my pc - that much I can say for it. I can play it and it causes me no issue. Well it hasn't caused me any issues yet anyway. I never say never.

If you missed all of that - I am glad as nobody deserved going through all that - believe me.

Yet here I still am and still Simming. LOL So some little color issue is not going to scare me away - but I would never want to go through that and those days again -

SecuROM was plaguing the whole industry at the time. Luckily, it’s what allowed Steam to gain a lot of traction as people started to realize how much better digitally downloading games could be. I still prefer physical copies, to be honest though. :lol:

In terms of the game itself though, The Sims 2 is still far smoother than The Sims 3 and 4. At the very least, these Sims games should be able to handle queuing interactions and simulation itself with zero issues whatsoever. The fact The Sims 4 has simulation lag affecting so many people is a humongous failure for the game. I don’t care if it’s a closed world or open world — the prime concern should be whether or not the game functions as it should, and queuing interactions should be the top priority for the devs. Still can’t believe it’s an issue with The Sims 4 after al these years, or entirely at all.
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    edited July 2019
    Mod will be released for public in a few days. https://www.patreon.com/posts/28446875
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I had no idea everyone was quitting the game. :o

Many of the complainers weren't playing the game anyway, honestly.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

And where are you getting this from?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

And where are you getting this from?

Their own mouths.

And to be clear, I'm referring to some of the repeat complainers that come here from the TS3 forum.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited July 2019
    I get migraines and the flashing white screens were no cakewalk for me. The blue is actually better, but not by much. I use a program called f.lux that runs in the background and it turns the screen to an amber tint. I can make it as intense or as light amber as I want. If you don't want to use software, you can get tinted glasses that block blue light and reduce eye strain.

I've seen glasses for about £20 on Amazon that cut out blue light glare. I might get some myself. Couldn't a local Optician help with such a problem or is such help only in the UK?
  • zuper_buuzuper_buu Posts: 12 New Member
    > @Sigzy05 said:
    > IceyJ wrote: »
    >
    > I had no idea everyone was quitting the game. :o
    >
    > Many of the complainers weren't playing the game anyway, honestly.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And where are you getting this from?

By "weren't playing the game" they are likely referring to people who are avoiding playing it until certain features are recalled or features are fixed. Then again they could be just making an opinionated statement with no real statistics to back up their claim because, after all, the verbal opinions of half a dozen people saying they aren't going to play anymore means they MUST speak for everyone else out there who are complaining about the same product.

I am complaining all the time about how broken Elder Scrolls Online is, but I still play it. I complain about how dumb the latest trend for Assassin's Creed titles are, but I still play the games. I even whine and complain a LOT about features that are missing from No Mans Sky, but guess what? I play that game the MOST out of all my other games, and daily for that matter! My point here is that people who complain about a game might not be doing it out of hate at all, but because they might actually deeply care about it and don't want to see it fail or deteriorate. They complain because that is the only way to voice genuine concern without getting ignored.
    I love the Sims games, The Sims 4 is great, but some of these recent decisions are concerning and don't make its future look too hopeful for real progress. Decisions in design for the rebrand could be the start of future poor design choices made by EA/Maxis. I am still playing the game (albeit Offline and not updated) and choosing to voice my concerns in "whining" and "complaining", since a structured E-mail or quick tweet just get ignored. I want The Sims 4 to succeed and I want to keep playing it, but if this becomes a trend that happens for the next 5 years or more I don't know if my love for the series can hold out, but I suppose that makes no difference.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    People who quit playing this game aren’t heard from unless they want to be vocal about it. I’ve stopped playing various times:
    -after the inital release I got bored fast and hated playing without toddlers
    -after playing with Parenthood and the toddlers that were finally added, I got bored again
    -after playing around with Cats & Dogs, I got bored again. It was at this point that I blamed myself, thinking I’ll never be happy without the weather added
    -after playing around with Seasons, I got bored again... added more packs I had missed little by little, which helped for too short of a time.

Then I saw a teaser for Strangerville and thought, where did that concept even come from? Weird. Maybe I need to be more vocal in the community. So here I am. I figured this would be the one place they’re listening but everyone here redirects people to Twitter if they want to be heard by a guru.

It took a long time to get out of the whole, “It’s not you, it’s me” mentality. Island Living was the straw that broke the camel’s back. It’s not me. It’s them. They barely try anymore with this game.

And the monthly surveys ask where we spend our time talking about the game as if they want to know where they should be looking for our feedback (and the survey doesn’t invite very much game feature feedback at all).
    If they have trouble keeping up with Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, their own forums, etc. for feedback, what about adding surveys DIRECTLY into the game’s landing page when it loads? They want feedback from people who actually play the game, or start to play but for some reason turn away? That’s the obvious place. And they could have added such a thing in their recent redesign but nope. I don’t think they want our feedback at all.
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    The new icon colors are a little...... ehhhh. Wish they would have made them stand out a little bit better because we're used to the colors being different (for 5 years now)... But I like that the New Game, Load game buttons are on the right side now. And I also really like that the trailers are playable in-game as well. The loading screen color.. may need a bit of adjustment, but I don't mind that the logo is a darker blue.

But if the lighter blue tones are causing headaches/migraines for others, I hope they change it quick.
  • zuper_buuzuper_buu Posts: 12 New Member
    Guys this is WHY it's important to voice your concerns (or complaints to those who don't like that word). The Guru's have heard the feedback and are making changes!

(I would insert a URL but my account is not old enough. Check @SimGuruFrost on Twitter.)
  • LordOfTendonsLordOfTendons Posts: 250 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

I've seen glasses for about £20 on Amazon that cut out blue light glare. I might get some myself. Couldn't a local Optician help with such a problem or is such help only in the UK?

I would think that you could get something like that just about anywhere. I'm in America and the glasses are readily available online.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

No, actually the people who are passionate about this change of colour are the ones who love and play Sims 4. You really think a player like me is bothered by a loading screen she never opens anyway or the look of a pack she isn’t planning to buy? And as for the looks of the forum, that does also affect people from other sections you know? (I’m fine with the look myself, though I did change the colour from green to white)

Anyway, I’m glad the people in charge realized it was actually fans that complained and adjusted the colour.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Fully agree. Even Henry Ford realized eventually that he couldn't make the Model T indefinitely. In his case it was because Chevrolet began eating his lunch. And this mess is from the same outfit that revolutionized gaming with TS1, and then pushed the envelpe even more with TS2. Time for someone to eat EA's lunch.

EA felt like a completely different company back then. Whether it was a change in values or skill set, I don't know.

I say it all the time, but it's worth reiterating.. There is an unmatched level of quality to The Sims 2. The game just works. Queues and actions move so smoothly with zero delay, the developers were keen on implementing gameplay that was fun and had very high replay value, it felt like an actual life simulator, the creative tools were very good for the time, and so on. I really don't know what changed from then to now, but the fact The Sims 4 can't even get the basics of actions, queuing, and time functions working is a problem.

I agree with you. TS2 coding was planned well and organized, ideas were also fresh and thoughtfully detailed. New packs added didn't break previous features and it just all worked so well together.

With TS4, it appears they code in a new feature separately without seeing how it will work with the game with all current packs. This is why new features/packs often break what is already in the game. And they keep doing this with new features, piling up even more bugs. I can't say anymore that it's the game engine's fault for being so weak. I really think the development of this game was extremely poorly managed now more than anything else.

I worry that it will happen again with TS5. They need to hire some TS2 and TS3 developers (that they laid off) at least as consultants for how to better organize the code and for fresh innovative ideas. I'm sorry, but the devs for TS4 don't seem to be all that good in coding (gameplay is so buggy!) or ideas (bland or lacklustre mostly).

Apparently you never got bit by Securom then as it not only broke the entire game it broke a lot of pcs when Bon Voyage came out. And not just our game but Securom broke Mass Effect 2 I think it was, and one of the Spore games as well. There were so many angry people that low rated these games because of it - Amazon got knocked off the net for a while even - hit by everyone zero rating these games.... How did you miss all that? We went through Hades over that fiasco for nearly 2 years... I give Sims 2 no pats on the back for that nor the fact they moved from CDs to DVDs with no warning to the players and simmers had games we could not even play even if they could work because hardly anyone had DVD players. They were expensive back in those days and new - so many did not have them. I went and spent 300 dollars on a dvd player just to get Securom break it. Went through 5 dvd player in 3 months - that was a hefty bit of change let me tell you - when I found out the Sims DRM was breaking them. So no happy platitudes goes to the Sims 2 either. Sims 4 has never broken my pc - that much I can say for it. I can play it and it causes me no issue. Well it hasn't caused me any issues yet anyway. I never say never.

If you missed all of that - I am glad as nobody deserved going through all that - believe me.

Yet here I still am and still Simming. LOL So some little color issue is not going to scare me away - but I would never want to go through that and those days again -

I remember all the fuss about it but it never affected me, or my game, or my PC. Just lucky, maybe.

Maybe the "rebranding" and the little color issue is just the last straw for some.

• EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey everyone,

Locking this thread here so we don't have several for the same topic. Please, use this one to continue the conversation: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/962734/uuuh-so-really#latest
    Thanks!
    -Mai
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top