Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So I just made my own version of the new main menu design...

SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 335 Member
edited July 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
After these new designs for The Sims 4 were revealed yesterday, a lot of people did not like them. Especially the new main menu. So I just decided to make a mockup of what I think the new main menu should have looked like. (Though the old one is still fine.)

So here it is. I made this using Paint.net in about few hours. Enjoy.

9nSILm1.png

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    I prefer the white over the blue, but I think there's too many boxes in there, it's still too cluttered. Honestly I don't even understand why the trailer links have to be in the main menu? o.O .....or even the "your collection" tab, which takes half the screen space. We can already see our collection on our Origin, that isn't needed! They just want to push it in our faces what packs we have and don't have.

Let's try to put the Play button at the very centre, with the render on the back of it and TS4 logo above the render on top of the screen.

It seems like there's more of an emphasis on what we bought rather than actually getting to play the game.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I prefer the white over the blue, but I think there's too many boxes in there, it's still too cluttered. Honestly I don't even understand why the trailer links have to be in the main menu? o.O .....or even the "your collection" tab, which takes half the screen space. We can already see our collection on our Origin, that isn't needed! They just want to push it in our faces what packs we have and don't have.

Let's try to put the Play button at the very centre, with the render on the back of it and TS4 logo above the render on top of the screen.

It seems like there's more of an emphasis on what we bought rather than actually getting to play the game.

This! Why I don’t love the color I really dislike the jumbled messy look. It’s really sad they changed it so much. It just wasn’t necessary. I’m fine with rebranding by why change it so drastically? Just too much change if you ask me.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

This.

It’s honestly very greedy. The game is by no means cheap, and EA tries to spin it as a collection, trying to entice everyone to buy absolutely every pack for the sake of being able to see it on their main menu.

I have no problem shelling out money for a good pack. But when they’re mediocre in gameplay, and you try tactics such as shoving DLC in my face every time I turn the game on, it makes me not even want to bother. No other Sims game was this trashy when it came to DLC.
  • SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 335 Member

Yeah. This design from whatever year it's from should've been enough.

MTS_TwistedMexi-1675098-MTSPromo1.jpg
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    edited July 2019
    tumblr_pul10ue6d51xi5hclo1_1280.pnj

Hope you don't mind if I add this but I made a mock-up of what I think the color should be compared to the one they debuted on the stream. I think the Darker Color I choose makes the new plumbob pop and makes it easier to read the text, but I'm only a hobby artist and know next to nothing about graphic design
    Post edited by Techbilt on
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

This 100000%.

This was the perfect main menu screen. Big render of recently released content, news section, big play button, and a button to get right into CAS.

The Sims 4 is king of fixing what isn’t broken.
    edited July 2019

So guys this is very messy but it's just so you have an idea of what I meant! (again, my MS Paint skills are not on point and I didn't bother to open photoshop lol)

BjbJszQ.png

Why not do this? I think the play button should be at the centre, isn't the point to play the game? (that blue is throwing me off though I prefer it'd be gray but I wanted to use the new icons)
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

Yes, I don't know why they had the need to change this main menu, it was fine like that!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • EnderGamer87EnderGamer87 Posts: 248 Member
    @Sigzy05 That defeats the purpose the pack icons are ugly, the logo is ugly, and still too much wasted space.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    The old version shown does the job quite nicely, thank you. Anyone that's bought packs knows what they have, no need for a space hogging reminder in your face every time. If there must be a blue loading screen, then Techbilt's is much better and for the reasons he gave.
  • EcaEca Posts: 155 Member
    Way better than EA's
    What were even designers thinking?
    giphy.gif
    Crystal Cover from Tumblr
  • Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member
    Techbilt wrote: »
    tumblr_pul10ue6d51xi5hclo1_1280.pnj

Hope you don't mind if I add this but I made a mock-up of what I think the color should be compared to the one they debuted on the stream. I think the Darker Color I choose makes the new plumbob pop and makes it easier to read the text, but I'm only a hobby artist and know next to nothing about graphic design

You might be a hobby artist, but you nailed a basic design principle-readability! I’d hire you before whoever decided white on bright and migraine inducing blue was a good idea! 😁
  • MeluhMeluh Posts: 5 New Member
    I really need this as a menu... LOVE IT!!!! Hope someday you can create a mod for this menu, or maybe collaborate with some menu's modders like TheKixg or TwistedMexi. GOOD JOB!!! <3
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    This makes me remember how awful the rebrand is still to this day
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    This may be a necroed thread, but as someone who is about to graduate with a degree in graphic design (my portfolio class just started up, wish me luck), I just have to say that your version of the new screen is definitely better than what they actually put into the game. My one critique is that I think that the trailers should be reduced to one section that rotates out to different trailer links instead of having three all crammed in there at once, made just a smidge smaller, and moved to the upper lefthand corner so that the renders can be centered over the "Your Collection" banner. That would make the top feel just a little less cluttered and the design would be even more inviting.

I know that they were trying to create a sense of calm and chill with the blue in the new start screen design, but the blue is actually very distracting, makes the layout feel cramped and cluttered, and pulls the viewer's gaze away from the menu and the trailers and updates they obviously want us to see in the top section, and toward the bottom of the page where the pack list is. I guess they want us to look at the gaps in our pack list, but...I just end up staring at the blue background image more than anything because it looks like a shiny crystal. Of all three startup screen designs we've had over this game's lifespan, the current one is the worst because it has too much going on at once. If I were to pick a favorite, I'd go with the openness of the original design.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited June 2020
    They could have just changed the base game render and box art. I'm really sorry but I still find the rebrand ugly.
    I don't mind the dark blue loading screen but the new plumbob feels so out of place. But what I hate the most now are the dlc icons.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    TS3 has the best plumbob, nice and shiny like some sort of crystal.