March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Very happy with learning about the features (not the new look) coming with the update!

EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
edited July 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
So I learned that after the update, I will be able to create sims in CAS who start off at a certain career level and with more of a higher starting fund. As a strictly no cheats player that is amazing! Thank you!
"Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."

Comments

• TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    That part does seem really cool! I just hope my eyes and brain can toleratethe loading screen long enough to really try it out. Tho judging by how much my head hurts now I probably wont be able to. :'(
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    The best new feature is the "liberation" of 1000 deco items. I'm so glad that the time of blown up toy cars is over.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019
    So I learned that after the update, I will be able to create sims in CAS who start off at a certain career level and with more of a higher starting fund. As a strictly no cheats player that is amazing! Thank you!
    While totally understanding why that’s a great addition (I agree), it is cheating ;) It’s just cheating in CAS instead of the game, but it is a form of cheating. It just makes cheating easier, faster.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    While totally understanding why that’s a great addition (I agree), it is cheating ;) It’s just cheating in CAS instead of the game, but it is a form of cheating. It just makes cheating easier, faster.
    Why would it be cheating, it's at least more realistic than to play an adult sim arriving fresh into the world, innocent as a newborn babe.
    They don't become supersims, they just have a few pointers about a possible past. Level 3 in archaelogy is hardly gonna do much.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member

It isn't cheating at all though. Its giving more options for how sims start the game. In fact its more realistic. Because its silly for all sims to start with no skill or career experience. That is unrealistic. It's literally no cheating at all @JoAnne65 Just because the default was $20k before, doesnt mean that it has to be. Cheating would be motherloading, after that headstart is given.
    Thats neat too! :) Im mostly excited about CAS as usual though <3
    edited July 2019

It isn't cheating at all though. Its giving more options for how sims start the game. In fact its more realistic. Because its silly for all sims to start with no skill or career experience. That is unrealistic. It's literally no cheating at all @JoAnne65 Just because the default was $20k before, doesnt mean that it has to be. Cheating would be motherloading, after that headstart is given.
    happyopi wrote: »
    Why would it be cheating, it's at least more realistic than to play an adult sim arriving fresh into the world, innocent as a newborn babe.
    They don't become supersims, they just have a few pointers about a possible past. Level 3 in archaelogy is hardly gonna do much.

Yes, that’s why I like this feature (bold; it’s not necessarily silly by the way, for me it’s what the fun is about, start playing a sim from scratch). When I want something like that in my game (Sims 3) I have to start a seperate save and use cheats to create a sim like that. It is cheating though ;) The result is the same. Meaning that even though I don’t like using cheats myself (in general it makes the game boring), in this case I allow myself to do so to be able to introduce a sim who is skilled and employed. It just takes longer. Another way is putting an already skilled sim in my game (one I played without cheating) and change his or her looks with Mastercontroller. So, I guess what I’m saying is that for me this is ‘allowed’ cheating (it’s always allowed obviously, but for those who avoid it). Putting a sim in your game you gave 50000 simoleons to begin with or handing them 50000 simoleons by typing motherlode once just really isn’t any different. The process is different, the result is the same. A quick 50000 without having to play for it.

I only do this for sims that will play a part in my story by the way, never for the ones I play myself. That just really would feel like cheating for me, regardless whether I did it in CAS or in the game. I add something in a quick way that usually requires playing the game.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited July 2019
    *bloop*
    And how is the 20,000 simoleons they have any different though? it's not like they had to work for that? its not the same as cheating at all :|@JoAnne65 Its more than what was the default before, but its the same.
    edited July 2019
    How that’s different? It’s less money :D Owning 50000 simoleons/euros/dollars/etc isn’t very realistic when you start living on your own for most people. I didn’t have that kind of money.

P.s. I’m not trying to judge cheating here btw, to be clear. Like I say sometimes cheating is very convenient and I do it too. It’s just that they made it easier, which is nice.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Except not everyone is playing out a story about a sim who is "just starting out" and 20K isn't realistic for that either @JoAnne65
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I don't see it as cheating. Sometimes people want to have sims who start out as something more than a blank slate.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I would like this feature if it was better implemented. I often have ideas in mind for the sims I create, so I want to be able to choose specific careers and skills and starting money. This will randomize based on answers to a quiz, and if you don't like the options/traits the quiz picks for you you'll have to do it all over again since those choices will be locked.

This feels like a good idea for players who want to make sims but don't know who to make, but I don't feel it helps players who want to make a specific sim and set their career, skills, money to specific choices. And still no addition to the types of relationships you can set in CAS, which I see a lot of people ask for.

And they really should have made two buttons so you don't have to cancel the quiz option every time you make a new sim. It should not be the default 'new game' option.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    I would like this feature if it was better implemented. I often have ideas in mind for the sims I create, so I want to be able to choose specific careers and skills and starting money. This will randomize based on answers to a quiz, and if you don't like the options/traits the quiz picks for you you'll have to do it all over again since those choices will be locked.

This feels like a good idea for players who want to make sims but don't know who to make, but I don't feel it helps players who want to make a specific sim and set their career, skills, money to specific choices. And still no addition to the types of relationships you can set in CAS, which I see a lot of people ask for.

And they really should have made two buttons so you don't have to cancel the quiz option every time you make a new sim. It should not be the default 'new game' option.

Totally agree. Also, I wish we could have this without the quiz....I'm not spending 10 minutes in CAS just to answer some quiz, it's not even what CAS was made for.

It's also annoying me how they haven't added individual sim biographies.....I mean is this or is this not a "story moode"?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2019

It's cheating. ;) Townies/Premades should be the only ones who have already aquired a job, some skills and some use to play them. I love sandbox and if they didn't add relationships such as boyfriend/girlfriend in CAS then it descriminates against those who want to play an already built up relationship. Daniel would say it's cheating, but I don't agree it's cheating but giving players more choices. However, it removes the need or purpose of playing a premade.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

I think the line of whether or not it's cheating is very thin because there are no repercussions involved in using this system. Having a Sim that starts with more money should mean disadvantages elsewhere. Maybe they have a hard time keeping/managing money.

This is the same old problem with The Sims 4, though. New features are added to make the game, which is easy enough, even easier. There is no sense of game balancing within Maxis, it's almost as if they don't even view The Sims as a game which you play and should challenge you. The live mode devs have clearly left the building.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I think the line of whether or not it's cheating is very thin because there are no repercussions involved in using this system. Having a Sim that starts with more money should mean disadvantages elsewhere. Maybe they have a hard time keeping/managing money.

This is the same old problem with The Sims 4, though. New features are added to make the game, which is easy enough, even easier. There is no sense of game balancing within Maxis, it's almost as if they don't even view The Sims as a game which you play and should challenge you. The live mode devs have clearly left the building.

I think the counter balance to this is that you can't change the aspiration/traits during CAS. Which I have mixed feelings about.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    This is meh. I'll check it out when it's released and it probably will be okay for making townies that i don't feel like going into live mode to cheat information into. I don't really see it adding too much, though. It will be pretty obvious which questions you want to answer and how and which you want to skip in order to get the traits you want.

I don't really think about Sims as a game that needs to be balanced, tbh. I use cheats all of the time anyway. It's not lack of difficulty that makes the game boring; it's lack of real consequence. I don't consider consequences balancing per se, though. It just gives the characters more life. I remember back when "never weary" was nerfed for the sake of balance. That did nothing to make the sims more interesting or the game more challenging.
    To each their own :p this is going to be really fun for me personally , so if you're not looking forward to it thats fine, but I am <3 As a builder I love that now I can start off with a bit more funds for a more furnished house @Felicity I also love creating new sims so I will use this a ton
    Cinebar wrote: »

It's cheating. ;) Townies/Premades should be the only ones who have already aquired a job, some skills and some use to play them. I love sandbox and if they didn't add relationships such as boyfriend/girlfriend in CAS then it descriminates against those who want to play an already built up relationship. Daniel would say it's cheating, but I don't agree it's cheating but giving players more choices. However, it removes the need or purpose of playing a premade.

There really is no way that this game "should" be played at all and I really don't like that my thread is being derailed over a non-issue. Not everyone plays "rags" to riches. And this argument doesnt make any sense because sims never started off with $0 . And $20K , with no job history or skills actually makes less sense, so this is a move in the right direction :)@Cinebar

Just because you didn't want the option to create more background story in CAS doesn't mean no one does. Im very happy with this feature. And sims already got $20K , which is a ton of money for sims who supposedly have no career or skills. So again, this really doesnt make sense at all.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited July 2019
    am I the only one that thinks instead of quiz, could given the ability to choose and define the skills and starting money directly? At least through cheats? The concept of quiz in create-a-Sim is an odd thing for me.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    In my area, local tribe members get about $20,000 from their tribe when they come of age. I always imagine it's something like this for my Sims.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
    Anyways, I think that sims all having different starting points based off of their backgrounds is very interesting and can't wait to try it! :p
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

Just because you didn't want the option to create more background story in CAS doesn't mean no one does. Im very happy with this feature. And sims already got $20K , which is a ton of money for sims who supposedly have no career or skills. So again, this really doesnt make sense at all.

I never said I didn't want it at all -- I think the feature is really neat, and I like the idea of different Sims starting at different points in their life.

At the same time, I think balancing should be involved. If we can give a headstart using this system, there's little reason to make one truly our own from scratch aside from getting to choose all traits manually.