Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are they rebranding ?

1235...Next

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited July 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    They have said that the sims4 is going nowhere and that they are going to keep adding content.

The problem with that, as their higher-ups have probably told them, is that it is really difficult to sell a five year old game to people and claim that it is still new and relevant. So that's why they are rebranding their game to make it look like it was made in 2019. New logo and new sims with new clothes that they have added.

You never played WOW and all those other many games that keep coming out for years and years - huh? There are tons that last well over a decade and people including me even do keep buying... It's not a new thing - rpgs also do it for years and years. Mobile does it too.... Isn't Free Play like 11 now?

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-80s-and-90s-pc-games-still-unbelievably-being-updated-today/

Those are really old and a lots more are out there still getting new content made in early 2000's.

Game publishers are claiming this is also the trend of the future of gaming - for many more games...

With the cost involved in making games I can understand why they would rather have one game that receives updates and support for 10 years, than develop a new game every five years, given that EA and other publishers are also talking about how they want games a service with constant updates features added to the game, I can understand why they want to try this model for the sims4.

But the sims4 are competing with games that are out now and will be released the upcoming years. Those old rpgs listed in the article are not competing with that. The sims4 are competing with games that are not following this model, games that are brand new and have been developed with the latest stuff, which is why I think they are rebranding.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    They have said that the sims4 is going nowhere and that they are going to keep adding content.

The problem with that, as their higher-ups have probably told them, is that it is really difficult to sell a five year old game to people and claim that it is still new and relevant. So that's why they are rebranding their game to make it look like it was made in 2019. New logo and new sims with new clothes that they have added.

You never played WOW and all those other many games that keep coming out for years and years - huh? There are tons that last well over a decade and people including me even do keep buying... It's not a new thing - rpgs also do it for years and years. Mobile does it too.... Isn't Free Play like 11 now?

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-80s-and-90s-pc-games-still-unbelievably-being-updated-today/

Those are really old and a lots more are out there still getting new content made in early 2000's.

Game publishers are claiming this is also the trend of the future of gaming - for many more games...

Pretty much every example you used is of a different genre than The Sims and RPGs. Mobile games and WoW are a complete different breed not only from The Sims, but each other.

Most RPGs remain single player and offline. The single player genre is thriving. There’s even a hugely anticipated RPG coming out soon called Cyberpunk 2077. Completely offline and single player.

The only company that believed that games are heading into multiplayer online and service-based was EA. And look how that turned out; a joke. SimCity 5 flopped and the franchise has been reduced to mobile gaming scraps, Sims 4’s development was plagued, and they’re still suffering from problems from believing that nonsense.

No actually Activision and Bethesda said it well before our present CEO said it. Bethesda made a point of reminding us when they brought out their last big Fallout game and why I finally stopped playing those as I hate online. Never mind online games that are slated to go on indefinitely as those companies talked about. I don't have an issue with games going on indefinitely - as long as they are not online. I detest online games even though I have real high end internet. I have high end internet for communicating with my family - not for gaming. Being housebound stinks - so it eases that for me.

Bethesda has their hands in multiple markets though. While they have Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls Online as well as mobile games like Fallout Shelter and Elder Scrolls blades, they still work on single player, offline RPGs. They have one called Starcraft in development and the next Elder Scrolls entry as well.

I don't think their philosophy was similar to EA's, where they tried to turn absolutely every game genre they had into an online service-based game. Every time EA tried it, it hasn't worked out.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    Techbilt wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    Just seen the Amazon Prime advert for Amazon Prime Day today. It's using those bright light blues, just what the anti-re-branders dislike so much.

hint: If you are looking for a new machine to play Sims 4 it's a good day to buy a new PC before the day ends!

Why is it so 'hateful' to ask for a darker blue on the load screen? Just answer me that.

You said "hateful" I didn't. You can ask for anything you like. I'm just pointing out that it is being used everywhere at the moment and I'm now getting a phobia about people making a fuss about it and now noticing it all over the place, England's cricket strip, childrens cricket stumps, every plumb TV advert.............Yikes! . Ask EA/Maxis to change it. Don't blame me.

Except your making seem like I'm asking them for something absurd, like for them peel off their toenails or something. A lot of people have sensory issues, Migraine issues, other chronic conditions that the loading screen can exasperate. I have been told not by you but others that have said that a simple request such as asking for a darker loading screen is hateful, spiteful and that I should just be grateful, that I am blowing my physical ailment way out proportion. SOmething that can stop me from doing something I enjoy, and that I should just be grateful. I donlt know about you but I won't be grateful to anyone that hurts me, on purpose or not. I will never say "well thanks Donnie, I know you didn't mean to smack me with that Toe kick your carrying but I really appreciate the concussion." Especially not if they dont take the time to address concerns.

But also how often do we see those commercials, I don't have any commercials in my streaming packages, I rarely go onto Amazon, I don't have a TV cable package. Internet ads? I have an ad blocker, and even if I didn't it doesn't take up the ENTIRE screen. The sims 4 loading screen its a part of the game. I would even, very loosely, consider it gameplay(This is a STREEEEEEEETCH my leggy IS STREEEEEEEEEEAAAATCHED really far in this regard.), since it is APART OF THE GAME, it is a closed world its not a one time and done. Every time I use the Get to Work gameplay, when I use the Get Together Game play, when I make a sim, when I build a house, when I go to Sulani to use a beach if I decide to buy that, the loading screen it will be there. When I go to the park - loading screen, go to a hidden world loading screen. I could go on with the different activities that require a loading screen.

@Techbilt You are assuming that I know about your physical ailment and I don't. When I get hurtful comments like you are writing about I put them on Ignore for a bit. The only thing you might do is @ a SimGuru like Nick or Arvin the tech help Gurus who might forward your concerns to someone higher up. Have you tried the Nightlight option (assuming you have Windows 10 though) or can the settings on your graphics card be changed?

I've got developing cataracts myself but bright colourful screens are what I need so our needs are different.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Just seen the Amazon Prime advert for Amazon Prime Day today. It's using those bright light blues, just what the anti-re-branders dislike so much.

hint: If you are looking for a new machine to play Sims 4 it's a good day to buy a new PC before the day ends!

Why is it so 'hateful' to ask for a darker blue on the load screen? Just answer me that.

You said "hateful" I didn't. You can ask for anything you like. I'm just pointing out that it is being used everywhere at the moment and I'm now getting a phobia about people making a fuss about it and now noticing it all over the place, England's cricket strip, childrens cricket stumps, every plumb TV advert.............Yikes! . Ask EA/Maxis to change it. Don't blame me.

Except your making seem like I'm asking them for something absurd, like for them peel off their toenails or something. A lot of people have sensory issues, Migraine issues, other chronic conditions that the loading screen can exasperate. I have been told not by you but others that have said that a simple request such as asking for a darker loading screen is hateful, spiteful and that I should just be grateful, that I am blowing my physical ailment way out proportion. SOmething that can stop me from doing something I enjoy, and that I should just be grateful. I donlt know about you but I won't be grateful to anyone that hurts me, on purpose or not. I will never say "well thanks Donnie, I know you didn't mean to smack me with that Toe kick your carrying but I really appreciate the concussion." Especially not if they dont take the time to address concerns.

But also how often do we see those commercials, I don't have any commercials in my streaming packages, I rarely go onto Amazon, I don't have a TV cable package. Internet ads? I have an ad blocker, and even if I didn't it doesn't take up the ENTIRE screen. The sims 4 loading screen its a part of the game. I would even, very loosely, consider it gameplay(This is a STREEEEEEEETCH my leggy IS STREEEEEEEEEEAAAATCHED really far in this regard.), since it is APART OF THE GAME, it is a closed world its not a one time and done. Every time I use the Get to Work gameplay, when I use the Get Together Game play, when I make a sim, when I build a house, when I go to Sulani to use a beach if I decide to buy that, the loading screen it will be there. When I go to the park - loading screen, go to a hidden world loading screen. I could go on with the different activities that require a loading screen.

@Techbilt You are assuming that I know about your physical ailment and I don't. When I get hurtful comments like you are writing about I put them on Ignore for a bit. The only thing you might do is @ a SimGuru like Nick or Arvin the tech help Gurus who might forward your concerns to someone higher up. Have you tried the Nightlight option (assuming you have Windows 10 though) or can the settings on your graphics card be changed?

I've got developing cataracts myself but bright colourful screens are what I need so our needs are different.
    You need the loading screen to be colourful? Why?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member

Yes I have it, with a third party program, helps a little but doesn't get rid of the problem completely (I have windows 7). but I do have a question for you regarding the loading screen and the screen needing to be bright, its a loading screen with no actual real information on it, it has cute little quips. You don't need to read the quick little quips that show on the screen (I don't even find their tips and tricks all the helpful), the loading screen has almost no information useful to you that you need to see.

But most people do glance or look at loading screens to make sure their game is back in live mode, and will you be able to tell the difference between a loaded game a loading game with a darker background? Would you be able to look at a darker loading screen without having to shut down your computer, having to block out any form of light, and vomit in pain for a few hours?
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited July 2019

Yes I have it, with a third party program, helps a little but doesn't get rid of the problem completely (I have windows 7). but I do have a question for you regarding the loading screen and the screen needing to be bright, its a loading screen with no actual real information on it, it has cute little quips. You don't need to read the quick little quips that show on the screen (I don't even find their tips and tricks all the helpful), the loading screen has almost no information useful to you that you need to see.

But most people do glance or look at loading screens to make sure their game is back in live mode, and will you be able to tell the difference between a loaded game a loading game with a darker background? Would you be able to look at a darker loading screen without having to shut down your computer, having to block out any form of light, and vomit in pain for a few hours?

@Techbilt I've just downloaded a new driver for my NVidia 1060 and I've noticed that you can change colour hues on graphics cards with the NVidia control panel. Could someone help you make those brilliant blues less troublesome to your eyes on that or whatever graphics card you might use? Only a suggestion. I've no idea how to do it myself properly. I did use the Gamma settings once to brighten the darker worlds in Sims 3 so maybe lower it? I know all about vomiting in pain, I sympathise. I did a lot of that before being diagnosed with gluten intolerance. <3
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

You need the loading screen to be colourful? Why?

Oh for heavens sake stop asking me stupid questions! Go back to your Sims 3.
    LOL, oh dear :D You said yourself your needs are different than the needs of players who suffer from migraines and epilepsy. I can see why for them loading screens with bright colours are a problem. I can also understand why with your condition a game with bright colours is important. But the loading screen? That I just don’t get.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    we might all be players with diffrent opinions about tommorows rebranding (patch) but i will say this agree or disagree respect is the key word here i for one thing like the new loading screen feel it will be a nice change but what counts, is also the new content we get who as sims4 players wanted to have the option to be able to tell a story with there sims since day 1 of the sims4 back in 2014? plus we are getting deco cars i think its the first step on getting drivable cars since in island advandute we can drive seadoo and other water vechicles. Plus i see this change in a positive view, and we do not know what suprises tommorow patch may have for us simmers.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019

Pretty much every example you used is of a different genre than The Sims and RPGs. Mobile games and WoW are a complete different breed not only from The Sims, but each other.

Most RPGs remain single player and offline. The single player genre is thriving. There’s even a hugely anticipated RPG coming out soon called Cyberpunk 2077. Completely offline and single player.

The only company that believed that games are heading into multiplayer online and service-based was EA. And look how that turned out; a joke. SimCity 5 flopped and the franchise has been reduced to mobile gaming scraps, Sims 4’s development was plagued, and they’re still suffering from problems from believing that nonsense.

No actually Activision and Bethesda said it well before our present CEO said it. Bethesda made a point of reminding us when they brought out their last big Fallout game and why I finally stopped playing those as I hate online. Never mind online games that are slated to go on indefinitely as those companies talked about. I don't have an issue with games going on indefinitely - as long as they are not online. I detest online games even though I have real high end internet. I have high end internet for communicating with my family - not for gaming. Being housebound stinks - so it eases that for me.

Bethesda has their hands in multiple markets though. While they have Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls Online as well as mobile games like Fallout Shelter and Elder Scrolls blades, they still work on single player, offline RPGs. They have one called Starcraft in development and the next Elder Scrolls entry as well.

I don't think their philosophy was similar to EA's, where they tried to turn absolutely every game genre they had into an online service-based game. Every time EA tried it, it hasn't worked out.

EA is serious about it and why they started the Atlas Project and have 1000 developers working on the project. From what I heard it is due to go live in the next 3 years and they've spent billions on this project. Andrew Wilson talked about it during the 2017 I Play - but it's been in the making for almost 6- 7 years now. There is info on it on the main EA page and it also has it's own web pages -

https://gamedaily.biz/article/344/eas-project-atlas-looks-to-be-a-unified-solution-for-game-development-and-cloud-gaming

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/63714/eas-project-atlas-power-next-gen-gaming/index.html

The new website:
    https://www.ea.com/seed

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Even tho I have a gaming PC I would buy on purpose the Legacy edition just to not see this awful rebranding if they wouldn't have delayed it.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Okto84Okto84 Posts: 197 Member
    edited July 2019
    The rebranding isn't for people like us who already play the game. I believe it's intended to refresh the look and remind people the game is still alive and current - effectively a way to encourage new players to invest in buying it. This doesn't directly do anything for existing players, but if it keeps the game's popularity up it will keep the new content coming for all players.

As for the cost. I don't have a clue what it's costing them. However, the idea that the game's development is largely directed by money is probably very mistaken. Limitations on what gets developed are more likely down to organising and the available staff who can do the work. Someone can't just join EA and get right to work on the game, there's a lot of specific stuff to learn about the game first. I work in a different field, but also in a situation where there's a big quantity of in-house stuff to learn. No amount of money can make it happen, it comes down to hard work from the people coordinating it all and the existing team. Getting in new staff when needed to expand and replace, managing the long training periods, keeping the team connected while scaling things up, it's a huge logistics issue. Just one person leaving and the impact of replacing and training someone else is a big deal in this kind of environment. Money is likely far down the list of reasons why things do and don't get worked on.