Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are they rebranding ?

Comments

• alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Videogames that address younger and always new players need a state of the art presentation. The 2014 look (though already slightly modified over the years) really started to look old. Don't underestimate the effects of package colours and design on new buyers' decisions. It's not all about us old veterans.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Because they'd rather rebrand the looks, rather than the gameplay systems that need them (aka traits, socializing and emotions).

Yeah, just laziness. I think there's only at EA where you can be that lazy at work. If I was lazy like that in real life, I would have been fired a milion times.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sims 4 has had so much controversy since day one, however I see no need for me to get Sims 5 as the series is getting long in the tooth. I give up on Sims 4 ever reaching its full potential as its future is already planned and written. All I can say is wow and thanks for the previous versions but no thanks for this one as this version will not be remembered for creativity, but remembered for all the imbalance/controversy it had. The only thing left is accept it or reject it and play an better game if one feels it is lacking an whole lot and for me it does.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    This makes zero sense to me . There is no point to this. I know sims 4 is going to have a longer lifespan. The loading screen is terrible. But we have lot of fixes,and stuff they can add . Why waste resources, and time on this?
    Because they are focusing on new buyers. The ones that were in Kindergarten when Sims 4 was released. The people who already bought the game aren't their first interest.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    This makes zero sense to me . There is no point to this. I know sims 4 is going to have a longer lifespan. The loading screen is terrible. But we have lot of fixes,and stuff they can add . Why waste resources, and time on this?
    Because they are focusing on new buyers. The ones that were in Kindergarten when Sims 4 was released. The people who already bought the game aren't their first interest.

This is the first sims game where I feel like the devs care more about the quantity of people playing their game (or buying it) rather than the quality of the game itself. But I don't get where all the money from these buyers is going to...? Certainly not to develop the EP's.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

This is the first sims game where I feel like the devs care more about the quantity of people playing their game (or buying it) rather than the quality of the game itself. But I don't get where all the money from these buyers is going to...? Certainly not to develop the EP's.
    There was a time when people used sales figures as proof to support that a certain version was a good game. I'm starting to realize now it's quite the opposite. That the versions that didn't need you to buy it all were actually the better ones. From the players perspective that is. From EA's perspective it's a different story. I'm starting to get this suspicion they are simply going to spend those other three, four, five? years of 'developing' doing nothing else than handing fans brightly coloured bits and pieces to keep them hungry, but mainly are going to find ways to lure in new players. And those new players are clearly kids.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited July 2019
    Renato10 wrote: »
    I literally eneded up uninstalling The Sims 4 now. I don't care anymore!

Ha, that was my initial knee-jerk reaction. :D
    The question did come up, do I really want to continue with this series?

I really am waiting just for University and some magic.
    And this is the first Sims series that I don't play like I have past games. I just sample and check new content out.
    My main sims are on hold until we get Uni. I just use temporary sims to try out new packs.
    Each pack does bring good stuff, but also choices that make it all not so great and underwhelming.

Someone mentioned the series going on for another 5 years.
    I really don't want this to go on for another 5 years. Maybe two. I like this series, but I don't love it.
    10 years will just be milking it, probably without adding anything of substance that deepens game play.

At about $1000 or so over a ten year span, I guess some will say the cost was worth it to be entertained for that long.
    But I think looking at the game itself, I don't think it will be worth a grand if you are paying all a once and playing for the first time.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »

Same reason Ivory Soap does, when it is literally the same product it was a hundred years ago. To maintain a contemporary appearance. Standard business practice.

Think of this next time you walk down a grocery store aisle and see something marked "Bright new package, same great taste" or what have you. Companies literally do this all the time.

That's not the issue.
    Change is fine, especially when you are going to something cooler.

When you make a change and your customer base responds with puking sounds instead of wonderment, your change has failed.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2019
    CK213 wrote: »

Ha, that was my initial knee-plum reaction. :D

And this is the first Sims series that I don't play like I have past games. I just sample and check new content out.
    My main sims are on hold until we get Uni. I just temporary sims to try out new packs.
    Each pack does bring good stuff, but also choices that make it all not so great and underwhelming.

I really don't want this to go on for another 5 years. Maybe two. I like this series, but I don't love it.
    10 years will just be milking it, probably without adding anything of substance that deepens game play.

At about $1000 or so over a ten year span, I guess some will say the cost was worth it to be entertained for that long.
    But I think looking at the game itself, I don't think it will be worth a grand if you are paying all a once and playing for the first time.

I honestly understand the sentiment of wanting to just uninstall completely. The new “main characters” used to promote the game look awkward, like tweens/teens in young adult form. It’s very off-putting.

render.png

If there’s anything this update proved, it’s that, yet again, Maxis is out of touch.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

My main sims are on hold until we get Uni. I just temporary sims to try out new packs.

I honestly understand the sentiment of wanting to just uninstall completely. The new “main characters” used to promote the game look awkward, like tweens/teens in young adult form. It’s very off-putting.

render.png

If there’s anything this update proved, it’s that, yet again, Maxis is out of touch.

They look melenial, very hipster melenial. Ugh I hate it.

render.png

Why are sims even eating cookies in the cover? I don't get that.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited July 2019

render.png

This is a game where your Sim could become a secret agent, athlete, entertainer, criminal, painter, and even an astronaut amongst other things. Yet, EA thought it would make more sense to create awkward, teen-looking young adults wearing millennial clothes eating cookies. 10/10.

I can't honestly believe that Maxis just went to the designer and said : "We'd like you to put sims eating in our new TS4 cover."......

And yes you'r right! They are all YA, in the cover. It doesn't even represent the franchise itself. Why not put a ghost NPC there? Why not put an elder or an adult looking adult. TS2 cover had an alien, a secret agent guy, a teen doing karate, a couple and an elder. The new cover art is about reflecting their target audience and not the game itself, it further cements where their priorities lie.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    The Sims 3 is probably one of the better cover arts of the series, since it includes... well almost all kinds of Sims. Children, police, burglar, firefighter, and all sorts of personalities can be seen. I guess.

1ZeYs7h.png

I love that. I still have my original box with that cover art and CD-ROM!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member

Because they'd rather rebrand the looks, rather than the gameplay systems that need them (aka traits, socializing and emotions).

This.

A lick of paint on the loading screen doesn’t say commitment to me the game is going to be around for a while. Put your money where your mouth is EA and fix the game shortcomings and bugs and I’ll consider that a pledge of commitment.

This is the main reason why I don’t like this redesign, if they had made efforts to improve the game so it doesn’t feel like a five year old game with buggy python coding, then they would have earned it, but they have made no effort to improve the game, and now they are rebranding it, giving the game some new paint and are calling it a day.
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    Well I do noticed one thing, I thought MMO players complained about everything, I am glad to see that it is not just MMO players.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

render.png

This is a game where your Sim could become a secret agent, athlete, entertainer, criminal, painter, and even an astronaut amongst other things. Yet, EA thought it would make more sense to create awkward, teen-looking young adults wearing millennial clothes eating cookies. 10/10.

I can't honestly believe that Maxis just went to the designer and said : "We'd like you to put sims eating in our new TS4 cover."......

And yes you'r right! They are all YA, in the cover. It doesn't even represent the franchise itself. Why not put a ghost NPC there? Why not put an elder or an adult looking adult. TS2 cover had an alien, a secret agent guy, a teen doing karate, a couple and an elder. The new cover art is about reflecting their target audience and not the game itself, it further cements where their priorities lie.

Probably because that wouldn’t be “inclusive” to them. And it’s not their target market.
    Throw in Male and female young adult sims, I would assume one is a gay couple, few sims of colour and the job is done in their eyes.

Even though I don’t personally think it’s a good representation.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member
    I think based on all the feedback they'll probably make some changes to the loading screen color. Probably not in time for the next update but eventually. As for the pack designs and icon colors they'll probably stick with that because if we're looking at many more years of content eventually they'd run out of distinguishable icon colors
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited July 2019
    I know sims 4 is going to have a longer lifespan.
    There's your answer. As much fixing and improving the game, well - they're goal/vision is all about bringing new casual players in. They think many of them (which may be true, since they're 'new' audience to the franchise) won't notice the superficial gameplay and all.

render.png

I'm more distracted by the fact as to why the Sim in chef/cook's attire (I presume) isn't holding the platter instead. Don't like saying it, but it's boring (more so than the previous they had). And of course it's not promoting the anticlimatic features like multitasking and emotions, knowing of well everyonemany finds those broken/anticlimatic.

Videogames that address younger and always new players need a state of the art presentation. The 2014 look (though already slightly modified over the years) really started to look old. Don't underestimate the effects of package colours and design on new buyers' decisions. It's not all about us old veterans.
    Oh same minds think alike.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member

I think the same. The Sims 4 will not age well because it will be more milkshaked than ever.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    I think based on all the feedback they'll probably make some changes to the loading screen color. Probably not in time for the next update but eventually. As for the pack designs and icon colors they'll probably stick with that because if we're looking at many more years of content eventually they'd run out of distinguishable icon colors

What? I mean... theres a lot of variations of colors that they could still use. I don't see them making more than 5 or 6 "full" Expansions.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Sure, the loading screen could use work, but 1. It might not even be the finished product and 2. With all the hate towards it, it'll probably be optional.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    Sure, the loading screen could use work, but 1. It might not even be the finished product and 2. With all the hate towards it, it'll probably be optional.

From what the Gurus have said on twitter, it will not be optional, and based on the fact it's coming in 2 days, it is final. This is what we're getting :smile: