Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Opinion on the rebrand?

18910111214...Next

Comments

• PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited August 2019
    I want it GONE! It's horrible!
    Felicity wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Why no older sims in the new group of sims? Middle aged women are made invisible enough in the real world; I hate that that's bled over into the Sims as well.

I've posted this elsewhere but the rebrand had no intention of including anyone over 25. If you look at the promotional video that came alongside it (the Play With Life one) you can see that.

Young-Simmers-Only.jpg

Going by that, the rebrand looks like a bid to get new players in (which is clearly why they gave the game away recently) as they won't have any prior knowledge of previous entries in the series (which means no complaints about how lacking 4 can be in comparison to 3, 2 or 1). Having a sale on packs shortly after the game was given away also looks like an obvious bid to get those new players to start spending.

Out with the old, in with the new.
    That awkward moment when a company encourages minors to publically pillory their parents and siblings to sell their product. Overlooking/ignoring/not caring in what way that might have an enormous impact on that child’s further life. “Getting back at mom and dad or siblings”. “Didn’t fit into their family”. “Whose family was dysfunctional/unstable”. So sorry that family will feel so exposed, humiliated and insulted by your confessions in our advertisement that your problems worsened, good day.

Ugh, do you think that they are doing this with Maxis' approval? I suppose they must be. That's absolutely abhorrent. I didn't even read what they were looking for.

Ah well, I'm loving Nintendo atm so there's that.

The video ad is here on this site, so yes.

I love the Sims. This is enough for me to consider a boycott, though. What on earth are they thinking? Not only are they not going to represent people who are middled-aged and older, but they want our children to talk about how Sims saved them from us for an ad campaign? ROFL. Maxis, I get the feeling they didn't think this one through.

Another thought, though -- if teenagers are going through abuse/alienation, we should not be encouraging them to lose themselves in video games. While there aren't enough programs, we definitely should be encouraging at-risk/abused/bullied kids to seek help. I know there are areas where there just is no help, but even in those cases, I'm not sure saying to play a video game and lose yourself in fantasy is really the best way to get through it :/

Edit: I guess I need to find said ad. I don't see it on the site, but that could be because I have a good adblocker. But if it really is as bad as it sounds here, it's not only exploitative, but it's seriously irresponsible.

It's here on the forums. Just jump over to the first page.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/963118/playwithlife-your-stories#latest
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited August 2019
    Why no older sims in the new group of sims? Middle aged women are made invisible enough in the real world; I hate that that's bled over into the Sims as well.

I've posted this elsewhere but the rebrand had no intention of including anyone over 25. If you look at the promotional video that came alongside it (the Play With Life one) you can see that.

Young-Simmers-Only.jpg

Going by that, the rebrand looks like a bid to get new players in (which is clearly why they gave the game away recently) as they won't have any prior knowledge of previous entries in the series (which means no complaints about how lacking 4 can be in comparison to 3, 2 or 1). Having a sale on packs shortly after the game was given away also looks like an obvious bid to get those new players to start spending.

That awkward moment when a company encourages minors to publically pillory their parents and siblings to sell their product. Overlooking/ignoring/not caring in what way that might have an enormous impact on that child’s further life. “Getting back at mom and dad or siblings”. “Didn’t fit into their family”. “Whose family was dysfunctional/unstable”. So sorry that family will feel so exposed, humiliated and insulted by your confessions in our advertisement that your problems worsened, good day.

Ugh, do you think that they are doing this with Maxis' approval? I suppose they must be. That's absolutely abhorrent. I didn't even read what they were looking for.

I love the Sims. This is enough for me to consider a boycott, though. What on earth are they thinking? Not only are they not going to represent people who are middled-aged and older, but they want our children to talk about how Sims saved them from us for an ad campaign? ROFL. Maxis, I get the feeling they didn't think this one through.

Another thought, though -- if teenagers are going through abuse/alienation, we should not be encouraging them to lose themselves in video games. While there aren't enough programs, we definitely should be encouraging at-risk/abused/bullied kids to seek help. I know there are areas where there just is no help, but even in those cases, I'm not sure saying to play a video game and lose yourself in fantasy is really the best way to get through it :/

Edit: I guess I need to find said ad. I don't see it on the site, but that could be because I have a good adblocker. But if it really is as bad as it sounds here, it's not only exploitative, but it's seriously irresponsible.

It's here on the forums. Just jump over to the first page.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/963118/playwithlife-your-stories#latest

I found it. I edited my comment to add my impressions of it, but I found it fairly gross. A hospital in my area puts out ads where it shows people rebuilding lives after injuries, people with severe medical problems able to live fulfilling lives with their disabilities, how things most people see as trivial becoming, if not trivial, at least doable for people who without intervention would not be able to do so, etc. This ad really reminded me of it, but instead of skilled medical professionals working miracles, you have the Sims. The Sims is a good game, it really is, but it is no substitute for getting real help and support. If young people are unable to get the help and support they need, that is a real issue that needs addressing. The sims can be fun escapism, but it is not any type of therapy, and to push it as such is irresponsible.

Okay, off my soapbox now.

Edit: When I first saw the casting call, I was not happy with the ageism. Turns out, that was the least of it. I can kind of understand why they wouldn't want older people in it. "When my wife died, I was able to make a sim that looked just like her and change her into a ghost. It was a wonderful way of making me feel still close to her." Urgh, can you even imagine? Though honestly, having people in all stages of life talking about what sims meant to them and how it shaped them as they grew older could have been an interesting and positive message. Then again, EA is raking in billions and I'm not so their ideas seem to work better for them if all you are worried about are $$
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I want it GONE! It's horrible!

Young-Simmers-Only.jpg

Another edit: Found it. There's a hospital in my area that has ads like this -- it's far more appropriate in that context than for a video game. Sims is a great game, but it's no substitute for counseling, therapy, peer groups, actual real life and problem solving. I do play video games, like many people, to escape. I sometimes use them for a coping mechanism. But this ad bothers me. And it's not to do with the ageism. It's to do with the using of an ad saying young people should reach out to a video game to find validation and recreate their reality. I don't think that's a very healthy message.
    Couldn’t agree more, with every point you make.
    5JZ57S6.png