Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 is getting a complete "refresh" in design and look. I guess TS5 isn't happening soon....

Comments

• ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    What's the point of that? New cover designs? Who cares about that? Why don't they "revamp" some of the features of the game and make them work better?

This X 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    New loading screen is ugly but whatever. I hope it's at least faster.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2019
    Pretty sure I've seen simmers on Tumblr with better Photoshop skills.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i like this lol

and yeah it looks like we're having the sims 4 for a few more years, i assumed they would do something similar to this for a while since they're coming up on their 5 year anniversary
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    What's the point of that? New cover designs? Who cares about that? Why don't they "revamp" some of the features of the game and make them work better?

Pretty sure all the branding stuff is done by an external brand design agency, not the studio itself. So no development time is wasted on this.

Once we have suggestions on what could visually represent the pack, we hand those ideas off to a brand design agency who takes each idea and develops it into an icon for consideration.

This agency has helped define the identity of The Sims 4 packaging that you see on store shelves - going all the way back to base game. We continue to partner with them to assist in developing the branding for each pack that’s released.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

This was my thought too.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »

Pretty sure all the branding stuff is done by an external brand design agency, not the studio itself. So no development time is wasted on this.

Once we have suggestions on what could visually represent the pack, we hand those ideas off to a brand design agency who takes each idea and develops it into an icon for consideration.

This agency has helped define the identity of The Sims 4 packaging that you see on store shelves - going all the way back to base game. We continue to partner with them to assist in developing the branding for each pack that’s released.

They need a new agency.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    Everything about this new design is ugly as sin. The new covers look like they belong to PS2 games, and the new plumbob looks like it was designed in MS Paint in about fifteen minutes.

I can get over the ugly design, because it mostly won't affect me in game, but I feel like I'm also going to get annoyed having to click "no" every time I create a new sim and it tries to get me to use this story feature. I hope there's a toggle, or at least a mod to turn it off. Adding more background to your starting sims is a good idea in theory, but I don't think it looks well implemented. This isn't going to let me create the sims I want in CAS; this is just a fancier trait randomizer.
    bizuktag wrote: »
    Everything about this new design is ugly as sin. The new covers look like they belong to PS2 games, and the new plumbob looks like it was designed in MS Paint in about fifteen minutes.

I can get over the ugly design, because it mostly won't affect me in game, but I feel like I'm also going to get annoyed having to click "no" every time I create a new sim and it tries to get me to use this story feature. I hope there's a toggle, or at least a mod to turn it off. Adding more background to your starting sims is a good idea in theory, but I don't think it looks well implemented. This isn't going to let me create the sims I want in CAS; this is just a fancier trait randomizer.

Honestly why not make two buttons on the main menu? One for the story thingy and the play button to go into CAS? It just seems once again that they didn’t want to work things out!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimplyobsessedSimplyobsessed Posts: 315 Member
    edited July 2019
    Hideous

Expect expansion pack sales to drop, the different colours helped give each one its own identity in people's minds. Now all the icons look too similar and that makes it a chore to distinguish between them.

I know most of the players of this game are female but with two thirds of the characters on the new base game render being female and the new clothing items in each pack being so weighted in favour of female Sims... I just cant help but feel they are actively trying to exclude male players.Which is a shame since i've been playing since TS1
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I'm sorry, this is pretty ugly. Looks like something a first-year design student would make. The colors are way too flashy, and the designs themselves feel very flat. That plumbob looks like it came straight from 2003, which I'm not sure was intentional or not.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Why? Because they are trying to hide their lackluster overdrawn and boring shell of a game with new interface and make up so we may just forget that it's so lackluster, they continue to beat a dead horse that is this installment of the series.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2019
    Do they honestly think this looks appealing? Also, are they out of things to fix/improve that they decided to work on something literally NO-ONE asked for?

Cause if they’ve run out of ideas, they could spend 5 mins. On the forum and get 100+.

Right, I've skipped over the most obvious question we should be asking ourselves: "Who asked for this redesign of some cover art and what was wrong with the original cover art???"
    Will the forums get an update too???
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    logion wrote: »
    This feels like a poor attempt to make a five year old game feel new. It's like you are painting an old car with blue paint.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I thought EA only hired the best designers?? Where does the money go? Obviously not towards the game :/
    Pretty sure I've seen simmers on Tumblr with better Photoshop skills.

The mods could do so much better than the official team.
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Maybe they decided to get rid of the expansion pack colours because they realised that there aren't enough wavelengths visible to the naked eye for the eleventy billion DLCs that they have planned so they just decided to make them all the same colour and call it a day?
  • Csibeubi3Csibeubi3 Posts: 46 Member
    I think it isn't a terrible idea of rebranding The Sims 4, but I just loved the old design and I really don't like how all the Expansion Packs have the same colors now. It looked so much better, when they had different colors. It made them more special.
    20180613_230543.gif
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I don’t like it. I prefer how it is now with the different colors for EPs. And why blue ??
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I don’t like it. I prefer how it is now with the different colors for EPs. And why blue ??

Blue and green from The Sims logo.