Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

help running sims 3

Hi y'all I've installed sims 3 on my computer I don't really an idea why it's not working correctly the sims 3 isn't that old and my pc has good specifications. So I first installed it the town and the sims were mildly fuzzy I ran compatibility settings a couple times the sims aren't fuzzy anymore but the pan over the town is still fuzzy and cas is really slow I want to get it working well enough to be able to use naars mods I'm using a laptop but I had an older laptop that played it fine I'll see if can find the specs my current specs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077RQSMSR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 do i need to buy an older laptop?

Comments

• Options
    simicapsimicap Posts: 85 Member
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    Even though the Sims 3 is old, it still takes a laptop on the powerful side to run it. One of the big deals is you have an integrated processor, which doesn't get along well with Sims 3. You need a separate graphics card. That's my attempt to explain it while you're waiting for an expert to come along. I'm sorry, but it doesn't look to me like this laptop is powerful enough to run Sims 3.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2019
    How many EPs do you have in play (and which ones)? The new laptop should run the base game okay and perhaps a couple of the earliest EPs on medium (at best) graphics settings in Game Options. The heavy hitting EPs would likely be too much for it. The game does not need to have earlier versions of Windows compatibility set on it, in fact doing so typically does more harm than good.

Its processor, as with the prior one, is U-series which in addition to not having a dedicated graphics card is not ideal for sims games. These processors are designed to conserve battery power and electricity and will go into low-power mode whenever they can. The game requires more constant processor activity than they are designed to maintain, which puts limits on how far it can be expected to take the game. These two laptops aren't actually that different from each other in terms of specs, so am afraid I can't really explain why exactly the same game and EPs ran better on the old one, if indeed it's the same set of EPs and content you are attempting to work with now.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    okay I knew i should get a gaming laptop! (i've been unable to sit at my gaming desktop)
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    For business/school applications, yes. But not for sims games and it seems overpriced for what's being offered (to me).

Processor - Is still U-series and not strong/fast enough. You would want one without a U or Y at the end of its processor model number and (depending on how many cores) preferably one that runs at least 2.4 GHz natively, not 1.8 GHz.

Graphics Card - This one is indeed a dedicated card, but not strong enough. That's an old series, but within that one it would be better to reach for a GTX 960M or higher (the middle digit indicates strength within the series). On the more recent ones, the GTX 1050/1050Tis or 1060s would be much better, as would those in the newer 1600 series.

I can look around a bit later on if you still need help, but we should be able to find something much more suitable in the same price range or even lower, more likely from other vendors.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited July 2019
    No, and no. The first one is better than the two you previously linked, but its graphics card is still not what you'd need to run all packs on the highest settings. (With that kind of card, some people play with a bit of trouble and some compromises, while others can barely run the game at all.) The second one is the same computer you have now, but with the next year's processor, plus it's refurbished, which is always a risk.

You can definitely do better than those two models. I can look for something for you, if you'd like. Just give me a bit of info:
    • What's your budget?
    • Do you want to be able to play other games on the laptop, now or in the future?
    • Do you want to be able to store music, movies, photos, etc. on the laptop, as opposed to using an external drive?
    • How would you feel about installing a second internal hard drive yourself, if that was the cheapest option?
    Edit: Look who beat me to it. Still, if you want help with the search, let me know.
  • Options
    can someone give me some links I have about $1000 dollars but I'd willing to save up for it. my gaming desktop was months of research I don't have the time (health issues) yes I do want to play other games. I don't know how to install second internal hard drive the only other is I like the large screen please and thank you
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited July 2019
    I can definitely link you some options. But please let me know what other games you're thinking of playing. And do you want a 17.3" screen, or is 15.6" enough?

The other issue is that most of the 17" screens, at least in the cheaper range, come with a single small solid state drive. The drives are fast, but that wouldn't be enough room for other games. I've just started looking, and hopefully I'll find something that has all the features you want, but the most cost-effective option might be to have someone install the second drive for you. A computer shop should be willing to do it, and if you buy the second drive there, it shouldn't cost all that much extra money. But if you don't want to do this, I'll try to find you something that comes with all the drive space you need already installed. (Also, on many models, adding a second drive is easy and supported by the build itself, as in, the slot and connections are already built-in, but that's a moot point if you don't want to have to add anything to your computer.)

Edit: This is the best 17" option (in your price range) I found in my first pass through. It has a graphics card that's a bit stronger than what you need for TS3, a good processor, and a 512 GB solid state drive (faster and more reliable than the old mechanical drives). Its one drawback is that it has only 8 GB RAM, but you could get more installed later if you wanted—that's even easier than adding a hard drive, and again, a computer shop will do it for you in a couple of minutes. The newer Acer Nitros are much better than the earlier versions, more reliable and with stronger cooling systems. It's $880.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-17-3-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-512gb-solid-state-drive-obsidian-black/6345056.p?skuId=6345056

If you don't like it, let me know why and I'll find something else. Or if you're looking to play games that might be more demanding than TS3, list them and I'll check their recommended specs.
    Post edited by puzzlezaddict on
  • Options
    thanks for your help!