Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does the Sims team understand how dog walking works?

ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
edited September 2022 in The Sims 4 General Discussion
Has anyone timed the dog walks? I've never timed them, I just always cut them short.

A "short" dog walk is over 4 hours long. My sim left for his "short" walk with his dog at 10:53am and didn't get back home until 3:15pm.

So I decided to do a "long" walk... OVER EIGHT HOURS! Who walks a dog for 8 hours? They left at 4:19pm and didn't get home until 12:38am. And my dog kept passing out every time they stopped for a second.

Of all the things they nerf, why has dog walks not been fixed? I think a "short" walk should be an hour, medium an hour and a half and long 2 hours.

This is really crazy. I need to see if I can find a mod to change this. I have always ended up bringing my sims home after I felt they had been gone for long enough, but it's problematic and I'd like them to complete the interaction instead of me manually fixing the issue.
p8L4V6v.png
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• QueenSnapdragonQueenSnapdragon Posts: 34 Member
    Agreed, the lengths are unrealistic plus the fact that you can only walk one dog at once.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited July 2019
    Agreed, the lengths are unrealistic plus the fact that you can only walk one dog at once.

Right. It took my sim all day to walk his two dogs, his needs were tanking and apparently so was the dogs. I even got the pop up right at the end of the last walk that my dog was starving.

Not to mention the dogs want to go on walks all the time.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It's super annoying. I always only have one dog in my families cause of these reasons.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited July 2019
    It’s no different from showering or eating at a restaurant in the game. Actions take way too long in general.

Heck, climbing out of a pool and jumping back in off a diving board takes about 20 in-game minutes.
  • PapayaPancakePapayaPancake Posts: 867 Member
    I found out if you leash the dog and cancel right after that it counts as a walk. This way my family with 4 dogs can "walk" all of them within a sim hour. :D
  • IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    It'd be nice to see the Pet's Needs gauges and see how long a walk actually NEEDS to take.
    I usually just use pet-walking to top off a Sim's Fun need, since just the act of moving somewhere while you have your pet on a leash gives some Fun. Even if you're "walking" the dog from one side of your house to the other, lol.
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    I go for a jog. Takes way less time.
    JACKIEJOY wrote: »

My sim is lazy and comes back from jogs with his dogs excruciatingly fatigued. I really don't know if that can kill him, but I don't really want to take the risk.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Ouch... even more happy I chose City Living over Cats and Dogs!
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    It's particularly funny when you consider how short their little sim lives are with aging on. You could literally spend 1/2 of your life walking the dog... and the other half on the toilet.
  • lemonade578lemonade578 Posts: 75 Member
    What about puppies! I want to walk my puppies!
    cUfiTAd.png
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited July 2019
    Dog walks are frustrating! These time lenghts are insane! I never tried it, cause I already felt that the short one took waaay too long. I often send my sim back home after 30 sec or so. Short walk should just be for a quick pee before work. I don't have time to let my sim walk around for an hour before work. The medium one should be 1-2 hours and the long one can be 2-3 hours. Its insane, havent they played with it and felt how annoying it was?

Also, my dog often walks into buildings and dissapears for 30 sec. He does not pee when I ask him too even though he is trained to do so and needs to pee urgently. Sending my sim home never really works as I have to click on the floor in the home for him to walk there after he first walks in circles for an hour. And then when he finally arrives on the spot I directed him to, he just walks out the door again and continues the walk. I wish a go home option would work more proper, so i would not have to micro manage the dog walking like this.
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I never even have dogs anymore because of this - ridiculous amount of time to walk a dog and the dogs are always whining to be walked. I only have cats now.
    cheescaeks wrote: »

Thank you! :)
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    It's particularly funny when you consider how short their little sim lives are with aging on. You could literally spend 1/2 of your life walking the dog... and the other half on the toilet.

Right!
    What about puppies! I want to walk my puppies!

I mean, why can't kids walk dogs? That seems like the biggest oversight ever. Yet the dog will walk up to my child and start whining and whimpering to go for a walk. Dude, he can't help you for some ungodly reason.
    Dog walks are frustrating! These time lenghts are insane! I never tried it, cause I already felt that the short one took waaay too long. I often send my sim back home after 30 sec or so. Short walk should just be for a quick pee before work. I don't have time to let my sim walk around for an hour before work. The medium one should be 1-2 hours and the long one can be 2-3 hours. Its insane, havent they played with it and felt how annoying it was?

Also, my dog often walks into buildings and dissapears for 30 sec. He does not pee when I ask him too even though he is trained to do so and needs to pee urgently. Sending my sim home never really works as I have to click on the floor in the home for him to walk there after he first walks in circles for an hour. And then when he finally arrives on the spot I directed him to, he just walks out the door again and continues the walk. I wish a go home option would work more proper, so i would not have to micro manage the dog walking like this.

I can agree, the short should just be a short walk, something you can do before work in the morning. I often like giving my sims routines, and walking the dog before or immediately after work is nice... when it doesn't take half a day. I wouldn't want medium 2 hours, I'd prefer a long walk be 2 hours. Anything beyond 2 hours is just too dang long in my opinion.

Dogs in apartments are problematic. They can't really go outside to go potty. It's kind of broken and they've never taken the time to actually fix it. I doubt they ever will. That's why when I live in an apartment, I only have cats, much as I hate that. I hate that I have to not play with certain aspects of a pack cause of an oversight on the devs part.
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    I never even have dogs anymore because of this - ridiculous amount of time to walk a dog and the dogs are always whining to be walked. I only have cats now.

I understand that.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    Has anyone timed the dog walks? I've never timed them, I just always cut them short.

A "short" dog walk is over 4 hours long. My sim left for his "short" walk with his dog at 10:53am and didn't get back home until 3:15pm.

So I decided to do a "long" walk... OVER EIGHT HOURS! Who walks a dog for 8 hours? They left at 4:19pm and didn't get home until 12:38am. And my dog kept passing out every time they stopped for a second.

Of all the things they nerf, why has dog walks not been fixed? I think a "short" walk should be an hour, medium an hour and a half and long 2 hours.

This is really crazy. I need to see if I can find a mod to change this. I have always ended up bringing my sims home after I felt they had been gone for long enough, but it's problematic and I'd like them to complete the interaction instead of me manually fixing the issue.

A dog will walk as long as the Master will walk. As dog owners we all need to be aware of this. A dog's loyalty is such that despite exhaustion, they'll keep walking. It is possible to walk a dog to DEATH. When I have a dog on the lot, I generally choose short walk, but had not gone to the trouble of figuring out how long they were gone. When it just felt overlong, I would call them back. Short walk should be about thirty-forty minutes.

I was worried about this EP when they suggested dog houses were cruel. What's cruel about giving an animal shelter from the elements? Face/palm Political Correctness is going to be the death of us.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Cullinary_Death111Cullinary_Death111 Posts: 7 New Member
    This has to be the worst pets pack i the franchise even better than sims 1 with the poorly animated animals srcew you maxis you shoud be ashamed
  • amp107amp107 Posts: 205 Member
    [quote="ChelleJo;d-962450"]Has anyone timed the dog walks? I've never timed them, I just always cut them short.

This is really crazy. I need to see if I can find a mod to change this. I have always ended up bringing my sims home after I felt they had been gone for long enough, but it's problematic and I'd like them to complete the interaction instead of me manually fixing the issue. [/quote]

This seems like a bug to me. I haven’t tried it recently, but the last time I played one of my families with a dog (like maybe a few weeks ago) the short dog walk was the equivalent in time of my sim going out for a jog. She lives at Hinderquarter Hideaway and walked the dog down to the beach then back to her lot.

0IzRxZE.jpg
  • RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member

I was worried about this EP when they suggested dog houses were cruel.
    Wat :|

...Maybe this topic should be changed into: "Does The Sims team understand how dogs work?"
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    And since when do dogs walk behind their owners?
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    It's so utterly ridiculous that dog walking takes that long. I usually cheat my sim's dogs needs because walking them is such a chore.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited July 2019
    I haven't really played with the dogs, so I haven't noticed... but that doesn't surprise me. It's just like how eating at a restaurant takes several hours... it takes like one or two hours for the food to even be delivered to your table... and then another hour or two to finish eating it. Not to mention the recent bug that causes other Sims to steal your food, which becomes highly infuriating! :angry:

They need to seriously start focusing on fixing the real problems with this game... because it's beginning to head down the same direction as Sims 3. I fear that Sims 4 will end up being left as a buggy mess... just like Sims 3.

The problem is, the more packs and DLC we have, the more bugs that will be introduced into the game... that's why Sims 4 was almost perfectly playable in the beginning (minus the extreme lack of content), but has slowly become more and more unplayable as time goes on. It's because we keep getting more DLC, while almost none of the major bugs are being fixed.

Also, I wouldn't suggest getting our hopes up about them fixing dog walking... because it may not even be a bug. It's just the way the developers decided to program it into the game... and, as a result, will probably never be fixed (especially since it's been almost two years since 'Cats & Dogs' was even released). Because, you know, "Weirder Stories" is their favorite tagline when attempting to justify something ridiculous in the game. That's always their excuse for ridiculous things that end up happening... "it's a quirky experience for all your Sims to enjoy!"

At best, their response to this post will probably be something along the lines of... "well, this is how dog walking was intended to be, so it can't be changed... but here's a free female hairstyle we've given you several times already, but with a slightly different texture!"
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • finnthesimmerfinnthesimmer Posts: 34 Member
    The time it takes for everything is really unrealistic. Some of it is funny, but other things are just frustrating!
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    I'm pretty sure they based the dog walking on the jogging routes that they build into the game and no one told them that walking a dog is slower than jogging which is why jogging with the dog is the only one that seems to make sense.

On a side note, why are they not using their umbrella when they are walking the dog in the rain? How they could look at that and think "That will do" amazes me.
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    JACKIEJOY wrote: »
    Me too. The walks drive me nuts.

origin ID: adduapina
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top