Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

sims 5 should be a mix of sim city and the sims

just like the title says, i'm dreaming massive. big. huge. a complete 180 from sims 4's small neighborhood world lots. the sims was always sim city on a small scale, but why not like....merge them? you'll have options of a slighty pre-existing world for those who don't wanna build an entire city from scratch and a sandbox option to go ham. you gotta make sure there's water and sewage and trash etc, and if you don't then its not just gonna be a sad face hovering over a shell of a house. your sims really are gonna be 🐸🐸🐸🐸. cause thats always been an aspect missing from the sims series, real life negative things like living in an area with 🐸🐸🐸🐸 wifi, bad cell service, trash service that wont pick up your dang trash, long commute time to work, water that tastes gross.

i know this will never happen cause its freakin' massive in scale but i think its really neat. the way you build your world affecting your sims, that you can actually see and experience. it would be like EA/maxis being like "oh? you want open world back? here's your open world back" and its just completely yours now. no separate create a world tool, its actually merged into the game. and yeah this would definitely have to bring back one world per save file again haha.

Comments

• Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    Wanted something like this years ago haha.

But more of starting off with just one family in the middle of no-where & building up a town bit by bit through generations. It's why I love Sims Medieval & Castaway so much.
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    Wanted something like this years ago haha.

But more of starting off with just one family in the middle of no-where & building up a town bit by bit through generations. It's why I love Sims Medieval & Castaway so much.

oh yeah that would be really neat. i have this storyline in oasis springs where the calientes built up the town and the landgraabs only recently barged their butts in and started taking over their city and demolishing old buildings and putting up spas and stuff. whole rivalry between them. that would be really neat to play out an actual BUILDING of the world from the beginning.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,444 Member
    No. Not at all my cup of tea because it sounds way too ambitious and further straying from the original formula. I don't want a world focus, I want a Sims focus. I'd much rather that they put more development effort into unique behaviors and the original psychology of The Sims so that the actual gameplay is solid. The game is called "The Sims" for a reason. It needs to be, first and foremost, about the actual Sims. The environment comes after.
    #Team Occult
    LiELF wrote: »
    No. Not at all my cup of tea because it sounds way too ambitious and further straying from the original formula. I don't want a world focus, I want a Sims focus. I'd much rather that they put more development effort into unique behaviors and the original psychology of The Sims so that the actual gameplay is solid. The game is called "The Sims" for a reason. It needs to be, first and foremost, about the actual Sims. The environment comes after.

that's why i said it would be completely optional for the sim player types who prefer create a sim and inside gameplay instead of building and worlds. there's other player types out there, a lot of people love to build and create world environments for their sims to interact with. create a world is one of their most requested things at every launch of a new sims game cause people wanna have their own worlds for their stories, why not just incorporate it from the start.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Didn’t sims 2 do this with simcity 4 (i think?) like you could build a city and transfer it over? That way neither lose out in quality as they are both full games on their own right.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member

Agreed. The tools have no use to me if the sims themselves arent that good because the budget have been spent on other features.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited July 2019
    I want to say that i need a Create-A-World as part of the base game like we had in Sims 2 (but, more detailed) like SIms 3 CAW.
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    just like the title says, i'm dreaming massive. big. huge. a complete 180 from sims 4's small neighborhood world lots. the sims was always sim city on a small scale, but why not like....merge them? you'll have options of a slighty pre-existing world for those who don't wanna build an entire city from scratch and a sandbox option to go ham. you gotta make sure there's water and sewage and trash etc, and if you don't then its not just gonna be a sad face hovering over a shell of a house. your sims really are gonna be plum. cause thats always been an aspect missing from the sims series, real life negative things like living in an area with plum wifi, bad cell service, trash service that wont pick up your dang trash, long commute time to work, water that tastes gross.

i know this will never happen cause its freakin' massive in scale but i think its really neat. the way you build your world affecting your sims, that you can actually see and experience. it would be like EA/maxis being like "oh? you want open world back? here's your open world back" and its just completely yours now. no separate create a world tool, its actually merged into the game. and yeah this would definitely have to bring back one world per save file again haha.

I would need city-based careers, like police officer, mayor, etc... The game could use the "Build-A-City Challenge" as an inspiration, you know?! Maybe a regular Freeplay mode (like we always played sims), a Story mode (where you can play things like Strangerville or Sims Life Stories/Pet Stories/Castaway Stories, to unlock new items/premade worlds/etc), a Build-A-City mode (where you have to play with all sims in town, build all of the stuff they need, like adding firefighters to stop so many deaths by fire, a mayor would be the first and he would manage those things, etc).
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited July 2019
    ddd994 wrote: »
    Didn’t sims 2 do this with simcity 4 (i think?) like you could build a city and transfer it over? That way neither lose out in quality as they are both full games on their own right.

No, you could just make the map/add the roads and port to Sims 2. Paradox Interactive has a thing with their games, where you start playing with medieval families then you port your game to play "future eras" like the age of Industrial Revolution controlling the country (not just the royal family anymore), then you port to play it in the WWs, and finally you port to other game to play as an Intergalactic Empire. I wish we had that in SIms form, like we play a family in the Stone Age, till the Into The Future world. haha
    Karon wrote: »
    I want to say that i need a Create-A-World as part of the base game like we had in Sims 2 (but, more detailed) like SIms 3 CAW.
    just like the title says, i'm dreaming massive. big. huge. a complete 180 from sims 4's small neighborhood world lots. the sims was always sim city on a small scale, but why not like....merge them? you'll have options of a slighty pre-existing world for those who don't wanna build an entire city from scratch and a sandbox option to go ham. you gotta make sure there's water and sewage and trash etc, and if you don't then its not just gonna be a sad face hovering over a shell of a house. your sims really are gonna be plum. cause thats always been an aspect missing from the sims series, real life negative things like living in an area with plum wifi, bad cell service, trash service that wont pick up your dang trash, long commute time to work, water that tastes gross.

I would need city-based careers, like police officer, mayor, etc... The game could use the "Build-A-City Challenge" as an inspiration, you know?! Maybe a regular Freeplay mode (like we always played sims), a Story mode (where you can play things like Strangerville or Sims Life Stories/Pet Stories/Castaway Stories, to unlock new items/premade worlds/etc), a Build-A-City mode (where you have to play with all sims in town, build all of the stuff they need, like adding firefighters to stop so many deaths by fire, a mayor would be the first and he would manage those things, etc).

those kind of careers would definitely feel like they had more of an impact than just disappearing into a rabbit hole.

and for the people who are saying that its "money not being spent on the sims" i mean, we've had create a world tools before supplied for free to players. the money is eventually going to go there for development, so just do it from the start and they wouldn't have to add it in as a second-thought decision. sims 4 hasn't received such a thing because thats just how the game engine is built, we go back to the world style of sims 2/3 this isn't much to ask for cause we're getting the sandbox back rather than a few buildable lots surrounded by untouchable set-dressing.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited July 2019
    Eh. This isn't really something I enjoy. First of all, I hate building homes from scratch and if I make any modifications to it at all it's to the bedrooms, and that'll pretty much be it. Second, if they did this The Sims 5 wouldn't have the classic, sandbox game feel. It just wouldn't be the same if it were mixed together with SimCity.
    funny-gifs20.gif

that's why i said it would be completely optional for the sim player types who prefer create a sim and inside gameplay instead of building and worlds. there's other player types out there, a lot of people love to build and create world environments for their sims to interact with. create a world is one of their most requested things at every launch of a new sims game cause people wanna have their own worlds for their stories, why not just incorporate it from the start.

I get that, but the problem is, if a huge effort is going into the world, it's going to come out of something else. And something this ambitious is going to take away from more extensive Sim development because it's shifting the focus of the gameplay to the environment instead of the Sims. I definitely don't want Sim behaviors and personalities or even appearances or CAS to suffer for that. I just don't think it's a worthy trade. I also definitely don't want us to be stuck in a single world again. Even Sims 2 didn't do that.
    #Team Occult
  • MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    First of all, I think this is a pipe dream. It's just too big and too broad, with so many interconnected parts. I can't imagine the computer needed to run it, at least in regard to how I'd want it to be.

Second, if a game like this was made, I think a company other than Maxis would probably do better with it. (I'm looking at you, Paradox.)

Third, if a game like this did exist, I would get lost in it. Good lost. In love, lost. Would never come out of it, lost. It might be a dream, but it's a great dream. And, of course, I hope one day it won't be just a dream! And that on such a day, I can afford a computer that can handle it.
    a63ftuN.png
    Monday wrote: »
    First of all, I think this is a pipe dream. It's just too big and too broad, with so many interconnected parts. I can't imagine the computer needed to run it, at least in regard to how I'd want it to be.

Second, if a game like this was made, I think a company other than Maxis would probably do better with it. (I'm looking at you, Paradox.)

Third, if a game like this did exist, I would get lost in it. Good lost. In love, lost. Would never come out of it, lost. It might be a dream, but it's a great dream. And, of course, I hope one day it won't be just a dream! And that on such a day, I can afford a computer that can handle it.

thats what i was thinking like, they have that cities skylines competitor and everyone is boasting about it being better than simcity. idk, like maxis could have a chance to one-up them again in terms of depth of sandbox games and show off their AAA muscles again. build a city? that is mere childs play. ok...HAH watch this, zoom in and u can BUILD the buildings AND create the families. BOOM BABY.

what's the point of a sims 5 if they're gonna play it safe again ya know? lol, but yeah. it is a pipe dream....a pipe dream i want to buy....................... LOL
    edited July 2019

I get that, but the problem is, if a huge effort is going into the world, it's going to come out of something else. And something this ambitious is going to take away from more extensive Sim development because it's shifting the focus of the gameplay to the environment instead of the Sims. I definitely don't want Sim behaviors and personalities or even appearances or CAS to suffer for that. I just don't think it's a worthy trade. I also definitely don't want us to be stuck in a single world again. Even Sims 2 didn't do that.

like my thinking is that create a world tool has been a thing for sims 2 and 3 right, like it was a free developed tool by maxis released to the players. do it from the start? like a lot of sandbox games they have road tools and tree tools and terrain tools, from the beginning. most of this that maxis is doing is creating tools for their engineers and dev team first and then going....oh wait, maybe our consumer would like to play with this tool and have to backtrack and then take all those tools and translate it into UI someone outside could understand.

just skip all that. the dev time would go there anyways, just do it from the start? we can place down the roads, we can place down the trees, those tools just become implemented into the game UI instead of just sitting in the maxis game developers computers until they figure oh, maybe we should release this too....

we're not gonna be loosing anything, except being able to free-move worlds. personally, i would like that trade off. you might not.

like my thinking is that create a world tool has been a thing for sims 2 and 3 right, like it was a free developed tool by maxis released to the players. do it from the start? like a lot of sandbox games they have road tools and tree tools and terrain tools, from the beginning. most of this that maxis is doing is creating tools for their engineers and dev team first and then going....oh wait, maybe our consumer would like to play with this tool and have to backtrack and then take all those tools and translate it into UI someone outside could understand.

just skip all that. the dev time would go there anyways, just do it from the start? we can place down the roads, we can place down the trees, those tools just become implemented into the game UI instead of just sitting in the maxis game developers computers until they figure oh, maybe we should release this too....

we're not gonna be loosing anything, except being able to free-move worlds. personally, i would like that trade off. you might not.

Yeah, Sims 2 had excellent Sims and a variety of tools. We had the external Body Shop and we had the Sims 2 world builder. I definitely think we should have those back to ship with the base game, but...you know...more improved. So in a sense, I do agree with you to a point. Perhaps what they could do is have a basic world tool to start, and then just build on and add more tools to it throughout game progression. I do feel bad that world builders were completely left out of Sims 4.

But this is why I'm pushing with feedback to return to the Sims 2 thought process for development. It was a solid game with tools and systems and amazing gameplay. It had everything except open world and I think that the answer to bringing back things like CaST and world building is having those external programs so that they don't bog down the game itself. Innovative external creative tools with easy import/export features is the way to go. Tools that can be added to and built up as the game progresses so that they grow with the game.
    #Team Occult
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    Will Wright tried that years ago - it was called Simsville - but it didn't work out. You can still see info about it on the net - just look up Simsville - but it ended up being dropped. Many of us were really excited about it and followed everything Will reported about it and it's progress - but finally they had to stop the production as the cost was astronomical and it had so many issues it was just not a product they could continue with or so they said at the time - so it was pulled and Will Wright let us know it was not going to happen.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/SimsVille

here is one of the trailers we had:
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/SimsVille?file=Simsville_Trailer_coming_in_2002

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/SimsVille?file=SimsVille.jpg

Here was gamespot when it was cancelled:

https://www.gamespot.com/simsville/

What Simville was about:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/simsville-preview/1100-2805353/

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Will Wright tried that years ago - it was called Simsville - but it didn't work out. You can still see info about it on the net - just look up Simsville - but it ended up being dropped. Many of us were really excited about it and followed everything Will reported about it and it's progress - but finally they had to stop the production as the cost was astronomical and it had so many issues it was just not a product they could continue with or so they said at the time - so it was pulled and Will Wright let us know it was not going to happen.

What Simville was about:

i'll look into that

given the year im not surprised. but i think it would be doable in the future, computers can handle a lot of strain these days.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

What Simville was about:

i'll look into that

given the year im not surprised. but i think it would be doable in the future, computers can handle a lot of strain these days.

Well it was cost for the company as well as manpower - it took hundreds of workers - high paid personnel for one thing - that really ended up stopping it. We were so excited and saw info and pics about it all as they went along for well over a year and then boom shut right down..... So many disappointed. I'll never forget those days.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

What Simville was about:

i'll look into that

Well it was cost for the company as well as manpower - it took hundreds of workers - high paid personnel for one thing - that really ended up stopping it. We were so excited and saw info and pics about it all as they went along for well over a year and then boom shut right down..... So many disappointed. I'll never forget those days.

it looks like it was trying to accomplish too much too soon. it kinda reminds me of sims 3 in terms of scope.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    To be honest, this is what I wanted The Sims to be from the start! I wanted to be able to zoom in on a residential block in Sim City, see who was living there, and start playing that household. Or zoom in further and play Sim Ant with a pest infestation there (Yes, Sim Ant was a thing).

That The Sims wasn't that is what kept me from early curiosity regarding the game. Its freakish and unexpected success and wild popularity kept me away a bit longer - anything too popular I find I have a perverse, countervailing distrust of.

I'm happy with The Sims we have, now. I don't want TS5 to reach so far that it fails to happen at all, whenever it is.
  • deeman190deeman190 Posts: 99 Member
    I do wish they brought back Create A World like what was in TS2. Although, I think The Sims and SimCity should be separate from each other.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    It should be a modern take on the unreleased game 'Simsville'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELDJS80dwLs
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited July 2019

I think a modern version of that game would be great!

Shame it was cancelled!

yeah my concern is definitely what this video hit upon, i still want to be able to micromanage my sims and play out their lives if i want to. but i also want to be able to build their world and play with the world at large if i want to as well.

thats what i like about the sims series is that its so open and a massive sandbox that what i feel like doing, i can do. i can build or go into cas or play with the sims. and the only thing really missing is the world at large. i'd love to be able to mess around with that too.

and the ability to do a world on that scale has been shown to be doable because of sims 3, its just the question of "would we be able to allow the player to edit this world dynamically and in real time". and how would the world budget work.
  • deeman190deeman190 Posts: 99 Member
    Sounds complicated. I think The Sims and SimCity should be separate from each other.