Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mermaids, What Do They Eat?

I thought it would be fish, but I gave my mermaids the "Child of the Ocean" trait, so when they fish they get sad for taking fish out of the water.
epngF25.png
It's up to Nancy!
My YouTube!

Comments

• IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    They eat anything that's not fish. At least what I have discovered.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Wow. Okay. That doesn't seem to make sense though. lol Well I guess they will be grilling up some steaks.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited June 2019
    Because a mermaid eating fish is considered cannibalism.
    Although, I would imagine a Mermaid would be fine if they ate Lobster, Crabs, or Calamari.
    Like us land creatures we can eat other land creatures, so the same should apply to sea creatures eating other sea creatures.
    Because that's accurate, I would be horrified if a Pig, Chicken, and a Cow was slaughtered before me. However I love Fried Chicken and Bacon and Glazed Ham, So I think it's seeing/doing the action of taking the fish out of water and watching it come to an end. As a Mermaid you could do a vegetarian diet.

I think Clam Chowder, my personal favorite: Clam Cakes <3, Shrimp Cocktails, Scallops, Lobsters, Crabs, Squid, would be fine for a Mermaid.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Wow. Okay. That doesn't seem to make sense though. lol Well I guess they will be grilling up some steaks.

My mermaids - just like me are vegetarians.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    It's the child of the ocean trait that's causing the fish thing. Not being a mermaid. Mermaids with other traits eat fish just fine :)
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    it depends on their traits, just like any other sim. 'child of the ocean' has them upset if they eat fish (but they'll still do it), just like 'vegetarian' makes them sad if they eat any type of meat at all (but they'll still do it)

i do wish they'd included some form of sea plants other than 'mermaid kelp' (partially because it seems eating 2 mermaid kelp in a row turns a mermaid into a regular sim? from someone else's report, i hadn't tried yet) just because 9/10 of players automatically give all mermaids the ocean trait
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    I have one with Child of the ocean AND Loves the outdoors....perhaps not the best combo in hindsight. She wants to catch fish, but gets sad for doing so :#
  • BOYBOY Posts: 540 Member
    they just eat the same as normal sims. i wish they could eat kelp and raw seafood though, considering they're from the depths of the sea themselves.
    Fairies & real Plantsims please!
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    Although, I would imagine a Mermaid would be fine if they ate Lobster, Crabs, or Calamari.
    Like us land creatures we can eat other land creatures, so the same should apply to sea creatures eating other sea creatures.
    Because that's accurate, I would be horrified if a Pig, Chicken, and a Cow was slaughtered before me. However I love Fried Chicken and Bacon and Glazed Ham, So I think it's seeing/doing the action of taking the fish out of water and watching it come to an end. As a Mermaid you could do a vegetarian diet.

I think Clam Chowder, my personal favorite: Clam Cakes <3, Shrimp Cocktails, Scallops, Lobsters, Crabs, Squid, would be fine for a Mermaid.

It's not cannibalism since they are fully fish. Man, if I were a mermaid I'd eat all the fish, lobster, crabs, etc. lol And I've slaughtered animals before, even gutted a few. So that doesn't bother me.I guess if your a sea creature see that kind of thing should bother you. But it's all make believe. But I do get what you're saying. :D

For now I'm going to have them eat shrimp, and possibly chicken.
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

My mermaids - just like me are vegetarians.

Kewl beans! I think I want mine like me, eating a verity of foods - both plant and meat based.
    Akil wrote: »
    It's the child of the ocean trait that's causing the fish thing. Not being a mermaid. Mermaids with other traits eat fish just fine :)

I might have to change her trait then!
    kalaksed wrote: »
    it depends on their traits, just like any other sim. 'child of the ocean' has them upset if they eat fish (but they'll still do it), just like 'vegetarian' makes them sad if they eat any type of meat at all (but they'll still do it)

i do wish they'd included some form of sea plants other than 'mermaid kelp' (partially because it seems eating 2 mermaid kelp in a row turns a mermaid into a regular sim? from someone else's report, i hadn't tried yet) just because 9/10 of players automatically give all mermaids the ocean trait

Where do I find this sea kelp? Not sure why I thought it was just a Sims 3 thing with mermaids. lol
    Kathykins wrote: »
    I have one with Child of the ocean AND Loves the outdoors....perhaps not the best combo in hindsight. She wants to catch fish, but gets sad for doing so :#

lol I think we're in the same boat, having to adjust those traits.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    @GoldenBuffy you can buy kelp with aspiration points, find it randomly in the cave on the volcano island, or a dolphin might fetch it for you. Careful though, I believe eating kelp twice will turn your mermaid human. 🙂
    the mermadic kelp can also be found in buydebug if you want to go that way. it's one of many debug items i'm using to decorate my marine research lab. here's a screenie of a few pieces of kelp on a research table

7d29954dbf295cfe91e63c2a89af522f.png
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Kinda wish they would just straight up eat raw fish.
    you're far from the only one there. i'd love if they could eat raw fish, if there were regular kelp they could harvest and eat. and if they could eat in the water instead of having to crawl up onto land to eat
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »

That's not cannibalism. Sharks are not cannibals because they eat fish, they are cannibals because they eat other shark.

A human eating a deer is not cannibalism despite us both being mammals. A human eating another human however is cannibalism.

Cannablism is defined as eating the same species.

A mermaid eating another mermaid would be cannibalism.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
    Thanks guys! I may have my mermaid grow some kelp.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!