Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Normal Swimming

The normal swimming animation has made a come back with IL, though non of my sims are using it. They are still doing their little "doggie" paddle. I could have sworn I read or heard some place that if sims were level 5 fitness or higher, that they would swim normally? Or does that option only unlock if your sim is a lifeguard like in Sims 3?

If that is the issue, has anyone released a mod that allows sims to swim normally?
epngF25.png
It's up to Nancy!
My YouTube!

Comments

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited June 2019
    I've had a sim freestyle. He has a body fitness of 9 though... not sure when they start doing it. Adding in he doesn't have a job at all. Here's some shots of him swimming out to one of the little islands. I'd love to know when they start doing this also.
    muKNhI5.png
    mA8dzJS.png
    Post edited by Hermitgirl on
    egTcBMc.png
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Hmmm. I must have a mod that's preventing this then (though I've updated all the ones I use). Because I have two sims who have maxed out fitness and they aren't using the new swim animation.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• tegteg87tegteg87 Posts: 305 Member
    I think it might depend on the distance and type of water you're in, I could be wrong. I had a sim doing the usual swim animation over shallow water near her water villa but when I instructed her to swim out to a deep water buoy she changed to freestyle where the water got deeper (where you can't see through to the corals). She was only about 3-4 level fitness. I assumed it was like how sims choose to walk or jog depending how far away their destination is.
    You know what (I think I'm having a brain fart lol) Can sims only swim like that in the ocean? Are they stuck doing the "doggie" paddle in pools?
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    edited June 2019
    I haven't tried swimming in a pool since getting IL, but I did notice that my sim with fitness level 10, who had been swimming freestyle (and she is not a lifeguard), reverted to dog paddle after she got cramp from being in the water too long. So it does seem to be situational.
  • floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    My sim's son (who is child aged) sometimes swims freestyle, so I wonder if the motor skill acts the same as the fitness skill in kids when it comes to swim styles?
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
    I'm starting to lean towards it must be a mod for me. I guess I'm going to take them all out and fire up the game, and see if my high fitness sims can swim with the new animation.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• fiercephoenix91fiercephoenix91 Posts: 175 Member
    Hm... seems to vary? I only have one Sim at level 4 fitness at the moment (maybe level 5) and they do freestyle. I am curious, too, about pools.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    They do swim freestyle in the pools, too, if their skill level allowes for it (Fitness 4).
    There's also a big jump in swim speed from level 5 to 6.

Here's some pics I took a few days ago in the Windenburg public pool:

tumblr_ptk2xpFRwE1t1fm14o1_540.jpg
    tumblr_ptk35d0LOw1t1fm14o2_540.jpg
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    You know what (I think I'm having a brain fart lol) Can sims only swim like that in the ocean? Are they stuck doing the "doggie" paddle in pools?

That's not doggie paddle. That's breast stroke.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    Well I'm not sure what's causing my sims not to swim. Took out all of my mods, cleaned my cache, started a vanilla game and still the same thing. Thanks for all of the help guys!

@Beardedgeek, okay. No biggie. *shrugs*
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• SimarchangelSimarchangel Posts: 264 Member

That's not doggie paddle. That's breast stroke.

I agree! I'm assuming an English/US English thing here, since 'Freestyle' is what we would call front crawl here in the UK. And doggy-paddle looks, well, like a dog swimming. Dogs definitely don't do breast-stroke!

Linguistics aside, all my sims use the faster stroke when going farther, and the slower when just ambling about. All of them have some levels in fitness though, so I'm not sure where the new animation kicks in. Or what mods might conflict!
  • magooo63magooo63 Posts: 360 Member
    the further out in the ocean they go, the more the swim style changes. shallow water= wading, next level water= doggie paddle, next level water= breast stroke, and deep water & distance swimming= Freestyle. the higher fitness skill you have the more of these styles are available, including speed.
  • OnendOnliYazzieOnendOnliYazzie Posts: 1,375 Member
    My current sim is only level 4 or 5 in fitness but i noticed when he was at the beach swimming in the ocean he only did the freestyle swimming when i told him to swim further out to meet his fiancée somewhere. I don’t have my sims swim enough, because i didn’t even know that the freestyle swim was a new swimming animation. It’s nice to see though.
    I love to share my sims stories and hear about others. Got a story you want to share come talk to me!
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    magooo63 wrote: »
    the further out in the ocean they go, the more the swim style changes. shallow water= wading, next level water= doggie paddle, next level water= breast stroke, and deep water & distance swimming= Freestyle. the higher fitness skill you have the more of these styles are available, including speed.

Yeah I think you need both fairly deep water and high fitness for "crawl".
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek