Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living is a Great Disappointment (Sort of a Rant)

TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
i'm probably going to hell for writing this up but whatever.

alright, i've had enough. island living is getting really old and boring faster than i expected. gameplay starts off good, new build items look great and the world is excellent. but again, shallow gameplay, bad decisions, repetitive tasks, poor design and executions, and overdone with rehashed content and animations. first in game day was spend mostly on seeing the new things and exploring all neighborhoods and my sims spent their first night at a bar. then second day, it’s just swimming in the ocean, tanning and getting sunburned, making sand sculptures and combing for seashells. on the third day, my sims did all of water the activities and it was cool at first but slowly getting boring. i created another household to try the new careers and god, it was disappointing to have two of my favorite careers be played as rabbit holes. the dolphins felt like the hamsters from my first pet disaster, they’re repetitive and lacking interactions. the new festivals and elementals are a nice touch but it’s just not my alley. i played the game for like a couple of hours straight and feel like i’ve already seen 95% of the content so i’d be like, is that it? this honestly feels like a game for me.

so, here’s the tea, a lot of the brand-new features weren’t even that good either. the new conservationist career which can dynamically change the island cosmetics feels something like we can already do from that stranger things parody game pack. new lot traits are infested with bugs and issues and in need to be fixed soon. diving and life guard career are just rabbit holes which means no treasure-hunting, underwater diving, shark encounters and no underwater lots for our mermaids to live in. the volcano is just another decorative chunk in the neighborhood just like everything else in the game (god, they hyped that thing like hell in the stream). odd jobs are like the watered-down version of kawaiistacie’s slice of life mod. lounge chairs have poor designs and multitasking which is sorely disappointing.

i feel like this is an embarrassing version of sims 3 island paradise, i know ip was all about resorts and stuffs and il focuses more in living on the island itself which is kind of fair, i guess, but the tea is, island paradise was poorly optimized but still is a far more superior than island living.

and wow, talk about marketing deception. simgurus and game changers were hyping this up like [Removed, please don't circumvent the filter ~Rtas] hell... most of them tried to make the simplest thing sound overcomplicated when it actually isn’t. the lounge chair which we have apparently waited for five years for ea to figure out, are just another lazy and low-quality work from maxis. only god knows why ea didn’t bother to put multitasking at that object. and just fours after the embargo lifted and when the ea propaganda (gamechangers) started uploading their captures of the new pack, i feel like we already covered the majority of the pack and nothing more to discover nor explore.

i’ve mentioned this in other threads before but am i the only who noticed how this pack is oversaturated with reused animations and mechanics stolen from other packs? most of them are from get together, the “ladder” is just the diving platform done with new a paintjob and woodwork and a few tweaks. the fire pit which had its mechanics and animations very similar from EP02 tho, im okay with that but the beach combing animation looks like i’ve seen it for a hundred times before. can they come up with something else? like having to lie down or duck to dig for seashells instead of bending them sims’ back and the swings? isn’t that supposed to be ep05 exclusive and just let our generous modders and cc creators create new versions of it. some may say, ‘the more the merrier’, i guess, but not for me, beach please (you see what i did there). and the hammocks and firewalk pit, they’re not existent. as for the toddler playing in the ocean, it’s the same animation from the tub and kiddie pool and they didn’t even bother to replace the rubber duckie with a seashell or something else. and oh yeah, the ceiling fan just finally had a fix more than half a year after it came out. a fix which i already have done, thanks to the modders, just a week after the caribbean patch back in 2018.

now, let’s talk about the mermaids. i’m glad that we finally have a new playable occult. but there’s still some bones i need to pick about them mermaids. there’s no underwater lot as their natural habitat. they can’t swim underwater, i mean like under the water. i don’t like how they’d need to gasp for air every time they swim. and how they sleep on the surface really annoys me. aren’t mermaids supposed to sleep on the seabed like how dolphins do, are they suicidal or something? the absence of underwater gameplay made me sob and choke myself like i’m so done for this.

now, this might be unrelated or i might be getting a little too personal here but i found it very annoying when people make a ‘small’ list of all stuffs in the new expansion on some threads and comment sections. then they’d just write 7-10 new features like wow, is that it for a $50 game? but i still find it happy when some people are fine and happy to settle on maxis’ low-quality products and that ain’t my business anymore. but back in the day, i used to visit simsvip for their guides of ts3 eps and discover a lot of things i haven’t tried yet. and i just found out that hilarious plastic surgery feature was a thing from ts3 pets. and yet in ts4 cats and dogs, we didn’t even get proper doghouses and more pets. how can it be that a 10-year-old game is far more mature and intelligent than the modern one? this isn’t clearly an improvement in all honesty and a great insult to my consumer intelligence.

im aware that the team usually try to do new stuffs in new expansions and im fine with that. but, they just can’t achieve a proper expansion even if they do that. they have billions of moneys to pass the complexities and challenges. they’re not some kind of an indie game company or something, heck even most indie game developers can create and develop the best games of the year and offer more gameplay experience. a great example is cities skylines, published by interactive paradox and developed by colossal order. like here’s the tea, they made that game after simcity failed, like thank god that poor quality product flopped, and they offer more full and better expansions that actually expands the gameplay eg. new mechanics, new system and management, and brand-new stuffs and they’re like only 10-15 dollars each. if these were made by ea, they’d put it for a price of $20 or more, half the content, shady pre-order perks, more tradeoffs and limitations, and just more casual EA things. i can still remember that simcity expansion called cities of tomorrows and only offered a few buildings and one new resource to gather. now compare that to cities skylines. the new era of ea games flops and disappoints. avoid at all cost! and as for island living, I’ll probably bot gonna play this game again until the next year or so, same thing i did with jungle adventures. but it’s kind one of those games where you gotta play for like 5 minutes at a time. yeah.
y'all got bread?
Post edited by EA_Rtas on

Comments

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Well it sounds like this pack isn't for you. Personally I love it, while I find seasons meh at best.

The only other comment I have is your use of "stolen" animations...? That argument just doesn't make sense.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Maybe they'll create an Ocean Living pack that includes scuba diving/underwater lots/houseboats and finally do the mermaids justice... I really don't see this happening but my gosh I wish! I'm hoping that they will patch in eating in the water for mermaids and tweak the success chance of drowning sims. Please please please EA!!!!
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I like the pack just fine, but I can see where you're coming from. It's also a matter of personal preference in my case, because I'm one of the people who didn't feel that GF was worth the full $40

I think it all comes down to how much you like the base game to begin with. I notice that for each pack released, it's often the same people who rave and complain about it. If you perceive the foundation to be fundamentally flawed, very little additional content will change your mind

It might be because TS4 had a very weak start. It's gotten better over the years (for the most part I'm okay with it now), but even today the development of the game suffers for it. We only got terraforming back last November, which had always been a day 1 feature. Resources that would've otherwise been spent elsewhere were poured into it. It's good that we got it back, but it's something that should've been there from the start. Same for toddlers. And all the work they scrapped on the online version translates to several hours' worth of labor wasted. There isn't much anyone can do about the past in any case

I also like to think that management still isn't giving the devs the resources they need, but that's because I'm just wary of EA :p
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Raevyn wrote: »

It's enough to make you want to cry or scream into the void, maybe both.

Trying to communicate with EA is screaming into the void lmao :D

True enough XD
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2019
    I just play slowly and enjoy the scenery. I've only just built a couple of houses for my Sims so I must be the type of person Maxis is aiming at. I'll probably enjoy the world for the next month or so (having all the packs to use with it so the cost is worth it to me. I spend more on one night out.

Sorry OP I prefer to make up my own mind. I've never trusted critics since Les Miserables was 🐸🐸🐸🐸 by them.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    That's why Im waiting until a sale happens. Earlier I was so hyped I was ready to buy right then and there, but the more I read about its faults, the more Im convinced to wait until a sale occured. I plan on adding it to my game no doubt, but I think Ill enjoy it alot more knowing I didnt pay full price.
  • EliasLayous12EliasLayous12 Posts: 51 Member
    I actually so much agree about the animations being stolen. Thats the most annoying and hated thing for me in the sims 4. Plus what I very much hate is how sims turn into mermaids!! No addidtional animations or even a moodlet for that ! Also THE BUGS. Even though all that, I love the sims 4 and I know the team is really working hard for us.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    My sim is in conservation and has worked from home each day. I'm into my third season already, which before this came out I really hardly made it that far. I'm sorry you aren't enjoying it, but for me it's bern even more fun than I'd imagined. My sim ended up becoming a mermaid and that's been fun with all the siren lullabies. She's a music lover so it fits. I hope you find a way to make it fun for you