Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The TS4 Tropical Pack - Is it enough to tempt you away from TS3?

Comments

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    @SPARKY1922 good luck with recreating the IP save. I think we all tend to stay with what we are comfortable with and what gives us most enjoyment. Up until now I have only played vanilla and the bugs in IP made it impossible to play. So I have stuck with Sunlit Tides. Once I have finished my current projects I am going to try a fixed version of IP.

I agree about the lack of testing before IP was released. No new game is totally bug free but IP was particularly bad. I am sure but can't prove that EA was in a hurry to be done with TS3 but still seeking to make profit by churning out the last 3 packs. Still no excuse for leaving it to the modders to fix the bugs.

I agree Rflong's new world looks fantastic. I'm sure a lot of people are going to enjoy playing it :)

Just to say we are letting the cats out for the first time tomorrow. We hope they are sufficiently attached to us so they don't run off to rejoin their feral group.

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @Bettyboop55

The IP save takes a lot of time and effort to make it play without lag but it is worth it to me.. I am rooting for you about letting your kitties out tomorrow because as they say a cat chooses you and not the other way around and when this was said to me by a lovely australian woman who was living next door to me at the time who had owned cats for years I paled because up to this point I was only used to owning dogs that never really went out on their own so you can perhaps understand my horror at that comment at the thought he might not come back. As I type this my first kitty (as then) is sitting beside me after several trips on an airplane and then a move back to my own country where he was a little disoriented at first and this is why I ended up making him and indoor cat but as a now 15 year old that has just had a ton of vet tests due to a health issue he appears to be back on track thankfully but of course I worry everyday about him because of his age but to say he has given me so much pleasure as a pet owner is an understatement..I think the amount of time your kitties have been around you they will surely come back to you despite any freedoms you may allow them.. Please let me know how you get on and apologies for going off topic on the thread :)
    @Sparky1922 thank you for your kind words :) You are right, they choose you and when they do they make incredibly loyal and faithful companions. As hubby said, when we discussed it, they are not suited to being indoor cats and we just have to trust we have done enough to encourage them to think of us as their family now. I am pleased Kitty is doing well :) And I will let you know.

It sounds like you have a lot more patience than me to fix an IP save. Hope you get lots of fun out of it once it is fixed :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • lemonade578lemonade578 Posts: 75 Member
    It's enough... for now. Until we get university in TS4, I will always crawl back to TS3.
    cUfiTAd.png
    It's enough... for now. Until we get university in TS4, I will always crawl back to TS3.

I was wondering if University would be next. I do hope so for all those who are still waiting for it in TS4. A sims iteration without this pack would feel incomplete to me.

Sim enim est vita
    @Sparky1922 just to say we still have the cats. The first time we opened the backdoor they poked their heads out into the garden and bolted back inside. Then hubby was working in the garden and left the backdoor open. This time they ventured as far as the garden gate before hubby got worried and tempted them back indoors with biscuits. We are hoping by leaving the backdoor open whenever we can and gradually increasing the amount of time they spend out there, they might grow a little in confidence. Then perhaps when they do decide to go exploring they will at least remember where the food is at :D

Sim enim est vita
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    Honestly has anyone here played World Adventures? Island Living is less that a Stuff Pack compared to it. Stick with TS3 guys. I made the mistake of buying this EP, full price no less, so disappointed.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    @Sigzy05 sorry the new pack has proved such an expensive disappointment to you. I believe most of us still playing TS3 regularly are unlikely now to move on unless it is for a new iteration or a completely new life simulation. Even then I suspect the new game will have to meet some pretty exacting requirements. Most TS3 players know precisely what they want from their games and will not settle for less.

I have yet to fully explore WA, it was the last pack I bought. Perhaps you might enjoy a spell rediscovering it to make up for it. My friend keeps on telling me about exploring the tombs but I want to find out more about making nectar :D

Sim enim est vita
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    @Sigzy05 sorry the new pack has proved such an expensive disappointment to you. I believe most of us still playing TS3 regularly are unlikely now to move on unless it is for a new iteration or a completely new life simulation. Even then I suspect the new game will have to meet some pretty exacting requirements. Most TS3 players know precisely what they want from their games and will not settle for less.

I have yet to fully explore WA, it was the last pack I bought. Perhaps you might enjoy a spell rediscovering it to make up for it. My friend keeps on telling me about exploring the tombs but I want to find out more about making nectar :D

Honestly the EP is huge. You should play it it’s a ton of fun.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @Bettyboop55 I don't really find exploring the tombs much fun as it can get a little repetitive but WA added so much to the game that I simply cannot live without now! So many of my sims do MA and I absolutely love nectar making!
    @Sigzy05 and @Mikezumi thank you for the endorsements of WA. It is definitely on my list of things to do when I finish my two CAW projects. I still have a lot to do with SN, which is my favourite and the one played the most. Now instead of grumbling about the buggy nature of IP I also want to try a fixed version. So you can imagine it is a very long list :) . I just have to get this need to create my own world out of my system first .........

Sim enim est vita
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @Bettyboop55 I've only been playing SN for a short while and am enjoying it somewhat. I am not really into supernatural sims but Moonlight Falls is lovely and I am enjoying my current save there :)
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    @Sigzy05 and @Mikezumi thank you for the endorsements of WA. It is definitely on my list of things to do when I finish my two CAW projects. I still have a lot to do with SN, which is my favourite and the one played the most. Now instead of grumbling about the buggy nature of IP I also want to try a fixed version. So you can imagine it is a very long list :) . I just have to get this need to create my own world out of my system first .........

I think many of the the TS3 EP's have so much to do I'm not sure I've ever fully explored any of them...and I used to sometimes play for 8 to 10 hours at a time.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright

I think many of the the TS3 EP's have so much to do I'm not sure I've ever fully explored any of them...and I used to sometimes play for 8 to 10 hours at a time.

True. We certainly get value or money from the TS3 packs in terms of content, worlds and gameplay :)

Sim enim est vita
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I am really excited about Island Living in Sims 4 and I am sure that I will be getting it. But to leave Sims 3, never, I might play around with Sims 4, but sims 3 is my all time favorite, I did a 26 generation family and am trying to do that again. I like the looks of Island living and want to move my painter and writer there. I am not concerned about things they can do there, just want my Sims to live there and see how they make out. I do like them to swim and boat and perhaps build a Gym and Library there for them. Even though Sims 3 has Dive lots, I play in a lot of worlds that do not. I guess I play a little different then some. My Sims never work in a career, so I am not interested in that either. I guess it is the Island I want. When I do play Sims 4 I play in Windenburg. And I live on the Island there. I am not sure if on IL if there is a lot of collectables or not. It is ok to like both, I don't try to compare them as they are so different, So If I have fun one day with my Sims 3 and continue their destiny and then another day play with my sim 4 then that is ok. I can do both and be happy with both. It not about sims 3 or 4, it about the Sims and having fun with them. Have fun with your sims.
    Evalen wrote: »
    I am really excited about Island Living in Sims 4 and I am sure that I will be getting it. But to leave Sims 3, never, I might play around with Sims 4, but sims 3 is my all time favorite, I did a 26 generation family and am trying to do that again. I like the looks of Island living and want to move my painter and writer there. I am not concerned about things they can do there, just want my Sims to live there and see how they make out. I do like them to swim and boat and perhaps build a Gym and Library there for them. Even though Sims 3 has Dive lots, I play in a lot of worlds that do not. I guess I play a little different then some. My Sims never work in a career, so I am not interested in that either. I guess it is the Island I want. When I do play Sims 4 I play in Windenburg. And I live on the Island there. I am not sure if on IL if there is a lot of collectables or not. It is ok to like both, I don't try to compare them as they are so different, So If I have fun one day with my Sims 3 and continue their destiny and then another day play with my sim 4 then that is ok. I can do both and be happy with both. It not about sims 3 or 4, it about the Sims and having fun with them. Have fun with your sims.

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from IL when you install it. It sounds like you have your simming organised in such a way as to give you maximum entertainment. You are right though there is no correct way to sim and everybody gets something different from their simming. The good thing is mos of the iterations, and perhaps TS3 most of all, offers to the flexibility and depth to entertain so many different types of players. Long may it continue :)

Sim enim est vita
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Evalen wrote: »

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from IL when you install it. It sounds like you have your simming organised in such a way as to give you maximum entertainment. You are right though there is no correct way to sim and everybody gets something different from their simming. The good thing is mos of the iterations, and perhaps TS3 most of all, offers to the flexibility and depth to entertain so many different types of players. Long may it continue :)

@bettyboopjade Thanks for your reply, I agree, I do not want Sims 3 to ever stop, like you said Long may it continue. It has brought many hours of continuous fun, joy, laughter in my life for many years, While troubles brew outside, The sims helps let go of all troubles and you can once again let your mind relax and let go of the troubled world outside. Sometimes we just need to sit back and enjoy something if not just for a hour or two and that is what the Sims does. Then once again we can enter the troubled word with a new mind set and move on. Thanks Sims
    @Sparky1922 just to say we still have the cats. The first time we opened the backdoor they poked their heads out into the garden and bolted back inside. Then hubby was working in the garden and left the backdoor open. This time they ventured as far as the garden gate before hubby got worried and tempted them back indoors with biscuits. We are hoping by leaving the backdoor open whenever we can and gradually increasing the amount of time they spend out there, they might grow a little in confidence. Then perhaps when they do decide to go exploring they will at least remember where the food is at :D

How is it going? well I hope I went from a totally outdoor cat to an indoor one when I changed from living in one country to another and brought him with me. I lost him for 4 days in the new country as he had no idea where he was and panicked it took 6 people to find him and me to tempt him back and after that I am afraid he became an indoor cat because I was too traumatised lol He is much older now and my main goal is keeping him healthy especially after a scare I had with him earlier this year however I feel if you do not plan on moving and you have fed your kitties and shown kindness they should be yours :)
    @sparky1922 it is a slowly, slowly approach. Each day when hubby gets in from work we sit in the back garden with them. Both are starting to explore the garden but regularly check to make sure we are still sitting on the patio. The more nervous of the two keeps calling to his brother and his brother, the brains of the outfit, keeps trying to herd the other one back to the patio. So far we have been able to tempt them back indoors with cat treats. No we don't plan on moving and we are not having a main holiday this year. For one thing I am not well enough after having heart surgery last year and for another we don't want to put them into a cattery. I am sure though you did the right thing for your cat. They are such creatures of routine that any change can really upset them. To wit 5 minutes late with the evening meal and they are biting my ankles :D

Apologies to everyone else for taking the thread off topic but those of you with cats will understand :)

Sim enim est vita
  • LaurenNumberOneLaurenNumberOne Posts: 54 Member
    Honestly, I am least excited about this pack over any of the others. I recently went back to S3 after getting SUPER bored with S4 and I honestly don't know what they could give me in a pack that would make me go back anytime soon. The only benefit to playing S4 over S3 is the stability and load times, different building tools (roofs in S3, OMG so annoying), search in build mode, and maybe some of the CAS flexibility.
    Honestly, I am least excited about this pack over any of the others. I recently went back to S3 after getting SUPER bored with S4 and I honestly don't know what they could give me in a pack that would make me go back anytime soon. The only benefit to playing S4 over S3 is the stability and load times, different building tools (roofs in S3, OMG so annoying), search in build mode, and maybe some of the CAS flexibility.

Welcome back :) I hope you have great fun rediscovering all the things it is possible to do. The TS4 CAS seems to be one it's most popular features. By itself though I think it is not enough to compensate for lack of gameplay or physical content. Still we all want different things from our simming and both TS2 and 3 gives you reasonable alternatives.

I do agree about the roof tool in TS3. I also would have liked more roof decor as well. A bit late to worry about that now :) With regard to loading times etc it might be worth having a nosey round the Help Section. There may be things you can do to help improve both stability and loadtimes.

Sim enim est vita
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Letting your cat out for the first time is so scary. We have two cats. Both are outdoor but it’s not my choice, it’s theirs. We moved house and when we did we were told to put a tiny amount of butter on their front paws so that when they licked it they would remember their scent home. My Mum suggested it, she’s had cats for over fifty years. We find my female doesn’t go far now since we moved.

We had a cat go missing once, to sadly never come home so I’m always a bit worried it could happen again.
    @MidnightAura I have heard of the buttered paws. Good to know that it really works. The problem we have is ours are semi ferals adopted from an animal sanctuary. One is reasonably socialised now but the other I have never even picked up let alone handled. He is extremely nervous and I suspect some kind of abuse in his past. The advice we received was to let them out hungry. Sounds cruel but these are not like your usual domestic cats and food is their prime motivator. So far they have not wandered far but they are getting bolder. Now I just need to relax and let them get on with it. As you say the choice of environment is theirs and these two clearly love being outside. Besides this is what we wanted for them, having seen them cooped up in a small run at the sanctuary with no prospect of being adopted. All in three families had already rejected them before we turned up.

Yes I can yack about felines for hours :) I'm sorry you lost one. That is about the saddest thing that can happen. I am glad to hear though your female cat settled after the move. They generally know when they are well off :D

Sim enim est vita
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    @Bettyboop55 My Mum told me that too about letting them out hungry. Generally we did that but it came back to bite us when my girl got out at 6 months, little bit hungry but erm.. brought back her own dinner. Twice.
    She is quite the hunter. Although she has calmed down as she has got older.

I love cats. I’ve always had them in my life since before I was born. One of my cats is 16 and I’m really worried that his time is running out. He’s a good age. We have lost a few over the years to old age but it doesn’t get any easier.

That is so lovely though you have adopted two cats that may have come from a troubled past. You have saved their lives.

Sorry so off topic.
    @Evalen

I agree with your comments while I might have a go at the sims 4 packs and even look forward to a couple I always go back to series 3 then 2 however despite this new pack being riddled with bugs (as usual-) I simply cannot stop watching how mermaids swim around and especially like watching them over by the waterfall or chatting with dolphins so i often just turn the game on to watch that going on lol I ought to have bought an aquarium instead-) If you already enjoy aspects/features from 4 I am almost positive if you like tropical worlds you will enjoy this new pack even if there is not as much depth of play 3 Ip has to offer. Also like you Sims has always been the one escape from RL I know will defo take my mind off things so I see it almost like therapy lol

My mermaid couple but all credit goes to the creator ( whose name slips my mind right now) who uploaded them to the gallery :)

ZRTjHPm.jpg

But I still love my 3 mermaids too :)

LeSfWoq.jpg

Hi @Bettyboop55

I messaged your wall so we were not derailing the thread however like me you obviously don't look at it very often haha I am sorry you have been unwell it appears to be going around this year it took me some months for me to get back to the forums because of health issues as well. I think my cat is a star after many visits to the vet to get his pet passport, plus several plane rides ending up him living in a different country I know I let him out too early after those changes but it scared me so much he then became an indoor cat and he has been fine but I do have a neighbour who categorically believes cats should be outdoor despite her already losing lost 3 young cats last year for various reasons so I make no apologies for mine being indoor anymore. I would never be able to put mine in a cattery either I am lucky I have always had someone to look after him at home if I had to go away. I loved reading about them biting your ankles when it's meal time so cute :)

@MidnightAura

I have heard of buttering paws before but as I never tried it I had no idea it could work so I am pleased it did for you and I would never not feed my cat for the reasons you outline above lol I also have a 16-17 year old cat (cannot remember exactly) as 2 tiny kittens were dumped on my doorstep when I first moved abroad and it was either leave them to the wolves or take them in so of course I took them in did but 2-3 years later one of the cats disappeared and despite me hunting for weeks I could never find him and still wonder what happened to him today I have actually never really got over it as after owning dogs all my life up until that point they don't tend to go missing like and it did make me a lot more cautious with the other one as I was afraid the same might happen with him but now all my fear is around losing him to old age as I had a big scare with him this past year where he had to have a lot of tests and it turned out to be something to do with the bowel that requires specialized food which he currently appears to be thriving on thank goodness but it made me have to face his old age which I hate doing as he is everything to me so I totally understand your feeling around your own cat of a similar age..