Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The TS4 Tropical Pack - Is it enough to tempt you away from TS3?

Comments

• Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Absolutely nothing about TS4 tempts me away from TS3. I recently tried 4 again with the free base game download and thought it was absolutely awful -- stifling small neighborhoods, everyone having this robotic silly grin on their faces, horrible graphics. TS3 forever... or until something better comes out (at this point I hope Paradox Studios and Rod Humble make a new life sim game and leave EA in the dust).
  • Options
    WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    I confess to buying it yesterday and now owning every Sims 4 pack and expansion (there was a sale two weeks or so ago). :p
    Didn´t play it much though, because it´s so hot at the moment, that I can´t let my pc run for long (it totally heats up the room). The world is pretty, as are the mermaids. Also, there´s finally ocean swimming, but only in this new world as far as I know.

It´s Sims 4. You like it enough to play it occasionally, or you don´t. I don´t think, this pack makes a lot of difference in that regard.

LGR´s review was mainly positive, though. Other youtubers that I watch liked it very much, but encountered a lot of (new and old) glitches and bugs.

Still like Sims 3 better (and think it´s better made in any case), but play Sims 4 when I´m not able to make important (=any) decisions for my Sims 3 families.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    I gotta find someone's fixed version of Isla Paradiso somewhere on this forum.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag/p1 :)

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Thank you @igazor and @SPARKY1922 for suggesting alternatives to IP and where to find them.

I enjoyed the LGR review and thought it balanced. As usual he leaves it up to the viewer to decide whether or not to purchase. Obviously there are now lots of other reviews and Let's Plays out there for those still debating with themselves over buying the pack. For those that have I hope you continue to enjoy it. For those who have decided not this time there is always hope of something else at a later date which is tempting enough to stop playing TS3, a new iteration, a new life simulation or (for some) perhaps another TS4 pack, like University.

For those who are playing both TS3 and TS4 I think you have the best of both worlds, although I would be interested at another time in finding out how you manage to move between the two games without getting thoroughly confused with UIs, CAS etc.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing about TS4 tempts me away from TS3. I recently tried 4 again with the free base game download and thought it was absolutely awful -- stifling small neighborhoods, everyone having this robotic silly grin on their faces, horrible graphics. TS3 forever... or until something better comes out (at this point I hope Paradox Studios and Rod Humble make a new life sim game and leave EA in the dust).

I keep looking for news too :/ In the meantime we have TS3 or whatever version meets our requirements for an enjoyable simming experience :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    I confess to buying it yesterday and now owning every Sims 4 pack and expansion (there was a sale two weeks or so ago). :p
    Didn´t play it much though, because it´s so hot at the moment, that I can´t let my pc run for long (it totally heats up the room). The world is pretty, as are the mermaids. Also, there´s finally ocean swimming, but only in this new world as far as I know.

It´s Sims 4. You like it enough to play it occasionally, or you don´t. I don´t think, this pack makes a lot of difference in that regard.

LGR´s review was mainly positive, though. Other youtubers that I watch liked it very much, but encountered a lot of (new and old) glitches and bugs.

Still like Sims 3 better (and think it´s better made in any case), but play Sims 4 when I´m not able to make important (=any) decisions for my Sims 3 families.

Let's hope the weather eases so you can get some serious game time in on the new pack. Last year I had a cooling fan in a laptop base and a desk fan permanently trained on it but it still ran too hot to play for long. This year if the same thing happens I will be offering it iced drinks as well :D:D

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Nope! Diving isn't a rabbit hole in Island Paradise.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    I actively play both TS3 and TS4. I do like the new island pack for TS4, although there are some things that I feel are missing.
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    For those who are playing both TS3 and TS4 I think you have the best of both worlds, although I would be interested at another time in finding out how you manage to move between the two games without getting thoroughly confused with UIs, CAS etc.

@Bettyboop55 , with great difficulty, that's how! :smiley: I've played TS4 every day since Island Living came out, and most of the days I've also been playing TS3.

The one thing that almost everyone praises in TS4 CAS, clicking and dragging instead of sliders, is something I actually find more difficult. It's meant to be intuitive - but how do I intuitively know, for example, which part of the mouth to click on if I want to move or resize the whole mouth and not just resize one lip? TS3 CAS is much easier for me, with its sliders described by words. However, choosing clothes, hair and makeup for a sim is much easier in TS4, with quick and easy switching between the categories.

I could make a list of thing I think are easier to use in one version and things that are easier in the other, but it would be boring. But yes, it does get confusing!
  • Options
    PalmArrow wrote: »

@Bettyboop55 , with great difficulty, that's how! :smiley: I've played TS4 every day since Island Living came out, and most of the days I've also been playing TS3.

The one thing that almost everyone praises in TS4 CAS, clicking and dragging instead of sliders, is something I actually find more difficult. It's meant to be intuitive - but how do I intuitively know, for example, which part of the mouth to click on if I want to move or resize the whole mouth and not just resize one lip? TS3 CAS is much easier for me, with its sliders described by words. However, choosing clothes, hair and makeup for a sim is much easier in TS4, with quick and easy switching between the categories.

I could make a list of thing I think are easier to use in one version and things that are easier in the other, but it would be boring. But yes, it does get confusing!

Thank you for this. I remember briefly having TS2 and 3 both installed and experiencing similar problems, not so much in CAS but more build/buy because the two were so differently organised.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    KayeStar wrote: »
    Nope! Diving isn't a rabbit hole in Island Paradise.

Somebody obviously loves the diving career :) I have not really tried it much because the first time I took my favourite sim diving she got eaten by a shark. This was a bit off putting and very painful for the sim :D

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 546 Member
    I’ve skipped some of the more recent TS4 releases but I caved and did download Island Living because I love the ocean. I was excited about the stunning world, mermaids, and town culture. However, as is my problem whenever I play TS4, I got bored fast and soon became disappointed by the limitations and lack of depth in the game. The rabbit hole scuba diving was especially a let down.

Isla Paradiso in TS3 gives me tons of lag issues (even with mods) but I still feel as though the expansion for 3 is much more complete.
  • Options
    WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    edited July 2019

... all of the above. :smiley:
    What I find absolutly praiseworthy (and quite daring for a company who wants to sale their product all over the world) are the possibilites to costumize gender and clothing in Sims 4.
    My main issue while playing though, is that the menue in the Sims 3 is in the bottom left corner and in Sims 4 in the upper right!

It cooled down and I got to play a bit more. Yeah well, it´s still Sims 4. :smile:
    As a matter of fact, if you want to have a bit different experience, I would recommend the Strangerville expansion. It´s a bit more guided and I personally had a blast solving the mystery. Certainly not for everyone though, it helps if you are into x-files stuff, and sadly, only good for one run-through.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited July 2019
    Nope. I'm actually playing a lot of Sims 4 at the moment, but IMO if I wasn't playing it might even put me off TS4. While I dont have IL I've watched LGR's Carls' & a couple other reviews & a couple of the less annoying LPers, & IL seems extremely disappointing compared to IP although at least its far less buggy than the IP world.

EDIT: On the subjects of alternative words to IP is there an updated for IP version of Nuia Samoa (is that what it's called)? I've always had a soft spot for that world
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Funny, it was enough to make me stop TS4 and return to TS3.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Nope. I'm actually playing a lot of Sims 4 at the moment, but IMO if I wasn't playing it might even put me off TS4. While I dont have IL I've watched LGR's Carls' & a couple other reviews & a couple of the less annoying LPers, & IL seems extremely disappointing compared to IP although at least its far less buggy than the IP world.

EDIT: On the subjects of alternative words to IP is there an updated for IP version of Nuia Samoa (is that what it's called)? I've always had a soft spot for that world

Nula Samoa sounds fun. If you ask about it in the CAW tool section someone there might be able to provide you with a link. Or if you would prefer a fixed routing version of IP, Igazor provided a link on this page in his July 2nd post.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options

... all of the above. :smiley:
    What I find absolutly praiseworthy (and quite daring for a company who wants to sale their product all over the world) are the possibilites to costumize gender and clothing in Sims 4.
    My main issue while playing though, is that the menue in the Sims 3 is in the bottom left corner and in Sims 4 in the upper right!

It cooled down and I got to play a bit more. Yeah well, it´s still Sims 4. :smile:
    As a matter of fact, if you want to have a bit different experience, I would recommend the Strangerville expansion. It´s a bit more guided and I personally had a blast solving the mystery. Certainly not for everyone though, it helps if you are into x-files stuff, and sadly, only good for one run-through.

Thank you for the feedback :) I'm pleased to hear you didn't fry your computer in order to play IL.

I was curious about Strangeville and watched a couple of LPs. It is such a pity that there is no repeat value with different endings but I can understand the appeal if you enjoy solving mysteries. I am very heavily invested at the moment in two CAW projects so it is not something I am going to be in a position to try at the moment.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    sassygray5 wrote: »
    I’ve skipped some of the more recent TS4 releases but I caved and did download Island Living because I love the ocean. I was excited about the stunning world, mermaids, and town culture. However, as is my problem whenever I play TS4, I got bored fast and soon became disappointed by the limitations and lack of depth in the game. The rabbit hole scuba diving was especially a let down.

Isla Paradiso in TS3 gives me tons of lag issues (even with mods) but I still feel as though the expansion for 3 is much more complete.

A lot of people seem to find the diving career in IL a disappointment because of the rabbithole. I wonder if the difficulty with both the diving and life careers being active is the fact TS4 does not have open worlds.

I was wondering if you had tried using a fixed version of IP instead of modding the original ? Igazor, on this page in his post of July 2nd does provide a link.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 546 Member
    I was wondering if you had tried using a fixed version of IP instead of modding the original ? Igazor, on this page in his post of July 2nd does provide a link.

I do not believe I have tried that - I’ll give it a go! Perfect timing since I was about to send my Sims there on vacation.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited July 2019
    It's actually quite horrifying how many weird errors in the Isla Paradiso world Ellacharmed found, but also inexcusable & elementary oversights in way the houses for it were built.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    It's actually quite horrifying how many weird errors in the Isla Paradiso world Ellacharmed found, but also inexcusable & elementary oversights in way the houses for it were built.

I personally think IP was the most rushed of the EPs, partly because EA decided to publicise it before it was properly finished and tested. I have yet to try the fixed version because I have a couple of CAW projects to finish but I hope it is what you expected the original to be and that you can enjoy your gameplay more.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    AntiSocialSim72AntiSocialSim72 Posts: 186 Member
    In a word - nope. I don’t like tropical IRL since MS makes me very heat intolerant so the only thing that appeals to me about tropical stuff in Sims is being able to play hardcore castaway-type games. Could I fake that in TS4? Not the way I would want or need. There isn’t a “pack” they could release that would make me drop money on that...game.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited July 2019
    Thank you @igazor and @SPARKY1922 for suggesting alternatives to IP and where to find them.

I enjoyed the LGR review and thought it balanced. As usual he leaves it up to the viewer to decide whether or not to purchase. Obviously there are now lots of other reviews and Let's Plays out there for those still debating with themselves over buying the pack. For those that have I hope you continue to enjoy it. For those who have decided not this time there is always hope of something else at a later date which is tempting enough to stop playing TS3, a new iteration, a new life simulation or (for some) perhaps another TS4 pack, like University.

Apologies I only just saw your post going back through this thread as I have been so busy in RL plus I have gone back to recreating my save IP world on disc as despite loving the mermaid look on S4 I ended up trying to fix the bugs for that pack instead of playing and decided it was time to get back to my beloved IP which is where I spend most of my S3 simming time along with city worlds and rflong7's supernatural world as I want to be finished to play in her latest world as soon as she is finished and I think that's getting close now so to back on topic I love the look of Sulani but it simply just does not have the depth of play for me and I just get bored very easily with it so go running back to 3 then 2-) not to mention the usual almost insurmountable bugs it has I am sure we players are the testers now instead of them doing it properly prior to release lol :)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Not even given it a thought. I have only heard of a couple of bugs though. A closed world is a still a deal breaker
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg